PDA

View Full Version : Francona "upset" about bypassing Timlin and Clement

Fenway
07-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Terry hinted that MLB wanted Colon in the game

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/04/no_star_turn_for_clement?mode=PF

Terry Francona was crushed, Matt Clement was heartbroken, and even though the Red Sox have four players starting in this year's All-Star Game, the team was disappointed.
Clement won't be pitching in this year's Midsummer Classic in Detroit, and, ultimately, it was Francona's decision, in conjunction with Major League Baseball, that left him off the roster.

After the fan voting determined the nine starters for each league, the players, managers, and coaches were left to decide five starting pitchers, three relievers, and nine reserves. Francona was responsible for choosing five players -- four pitchers and one position player.

But the league rule requiring each team be represented left Francona backed into a corner. Four of his five choices went to teams (Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Oakland) that had yet to have a player on the roster. He took Royals first baseman Mike Sweeney, Devil Rays pitcher Danys Baez, Athletics pitcher Justin Duchscherer, and Indians pitcher Bob Wickman, leaving just one open spot left.

''That was basically the only decision there ended up being," Francona said. ''It ends up we have one pitcher to go. I'm not going to go into everything because I don't know if I'm supposed to, but my choice -- our choice -- isn't always the way it works out. I think that's where I need to leave it."

NSSoxFan
07-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Terry Francona was crushed, Matt Clement was heartbroken, and even though the Red Sox have four players starting in this year's All-Star Game, the team was disappointed.

:whiner:

Freddy Garcia 8-3 3.29 ERA 112 IP 77 K

vs

Matt Clement 9-2 3.82 ERA 108.1 IP 88 K

Dustin Hermanson 1.44 ERA 19/20 SV

vs

Mike Timlin 1.58 ERA 1/3 SV

SoxFan76
07-04-2005, 05:27 PM

vs

vs

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

SpartanSoxFan
07-04-2005, 05:34 PM
The only REAL snub in this All-Star selection was Cliff Floyd of the NY Mets. He has shown up Beltran in almost every offensive category this year:

Player AVG RBI HR SLG% SB

Beltran .262 40 9 .430 4

Floyd .288 53 21 .561 7

StockdaleForVeep
07-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes terry, because since your team won a world series, im sure your whole team shoulda been represented

We traded a tyrannical yankee all star lineup for a boston one?

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 06:43 PM

vs

vs

Exactly. If we were any other team in baseball.. we would have Buehrle, Garland, Konerko, Hermanson, and Pods as ins; with Freddy on the chopping block with Jeter and Matsui.

PicktoCLick72
07-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Life's tough Terry. :whiner:

williefan22
07-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Exactly. If we were any other team in baseball.. we would have Buehrle, Garland, Konerko, Hermanson, and Pods as ins; with Freddy on the chopping block with Jeter and Matsui.

What about Politte? 32.2 innings pitched with a 1.10 era.

michned
07-04-2005, 07:29 PM

Politte gets basically screwed because he is a setup/middle reliever.

Right now they pick five starters and three relievers, and you can bet those three relievers will always be closers. With 30 teams in MLB, they need to 1) increase the roster sizes, and 2) recategorize the pitchers to recognize starters, closers, and middle relievers.

That is only fair for guys like Politte, an integral part of the Sox's success this year.

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Right now they pick five starters and three relievers, and you can bet those three relievers will always be closers. With 30 teams in MLB, they need to 1) increase the roster sizes, and 2) recategorize the pitchers to recognize starters, closers, and middle relievers.

That is only fair for guys like Politte, an integral part of the Sox's success this year.

Good post. When I said what I said about Freddy, I actually had Politte there and changed it to Freddy. Clifford has had an amazing year. Let him be a SOX Grinder, pitch his ass off, and cap his great year with post-season dominance and a ring.

chitownhawkfan
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
What they really need to do is make this an exhibition so I can go back to not caring about it. That way if dumb voters want to vote in Nomar they can do it and not give me indigestion. How about this for a crazy idea Bud, they play 162 games during the season, why not let the team with the best record have home field like in every other sport on the planet. The All Star Game Sucks, I personally hope none of our players pitch or play at all, just a chance they could get hurt.

:tool
Wow, that does make sense

DSpivack
07-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Why not get rid of the silly rule that each team needs to be represented?
I mean, do the Royals really need someone in?

santo=dorf
07-04-2005, 09:38 PM
IMO, Politte has been the best reliever this year in the American League. Timlin has a low ERA, but more than half of the runners he inherits score.

Can't wait for Ozzie to pad the 2006 All-Star team.

santo=dorf
07-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Here are some of Politte's stats:
Min. 25 IP American League rank
1.10 ERA (2nd only to Rivera)
.73 WHIP (1st)
.206 SLG (2nd to Rivera)
.208 OBP (1st)
4.13 hits/9 (1st)
I don't even know who else to look at, but Politte has inherited 24 runners this year and only 4 have scored.
Timlin-Inherited 18, 11 have scored.

Yet Joe Nathan and his 3.57 ERA are going to Detroit along with Bob Wickman and his 1.28 WHIP. :mad:

ma-gaga
07-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't even know who else to look at, but Politte has inherited 24 runners this year and only 4 have scored.

Wow. I thought J.Crain was awesome with his 20 inherited and 5 scored. BP has the relievers summerized, and it looks like J.Frasor of Toronto has a nice 20/3 ratio. D.Baez has a 22/5 ratio. V.Chulk (who? - Toronto pitcher) has a 18/2 ratio. Then there's a couple of Cleveland relievers, Riske and Sauerbeck with 15/1 and 25/2 ratios. ahh... Sauerbeck is under the 25 inning limit.

In the NL; J.Tavarez of St.Louis has a 19/2 ratio and Rheal Cormier has an 26/2 ratio... wow. Some of these guys have really pitched outstanding.

I'm not trying to diminish Politte. BP has him as the 4th best "inherited/bequeathed runners relievers report" in all of MLB behind Ju.Santana (21/4), M.Wise (19/5), and V.Chulk. He probably should have gotten the nod over ANY OTHER reliever that was invited to the all-star game, but he's just too unknown.

It happens. :gulp:

PAPChiSox729
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Here are some of Politte's stats:

Min. 25 IP American League rank
1.10 ERA (2nd only to Rivera)
.73 WHIP (1st)
.206 SLG (2nd to Rivera)
.208 OBP (1st)
4.13 hits/9 (1st)
Timlin-Inherited 18, 11 have scored.

Yet Joe Nathan and his 3.57 ERA are going to Detroit along with Bob Wickman and his 1.28 WHIP. :mad:

Cliff has been very important to this team this year and everyone associated with the White Sox knows that he should be an All-Star. I don't think being snubbed will bother Cliff much though and he will hopefully be getting his reward come late October.

32nd&Wallace
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Gary Coleman...we are waiting for you!

Mr. White Sox
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Yeah, too bad they picked Justin Duchscherer. That was an idiodic pick IMHO. If you adhere to the rule of only taking closers or starters, and you need to take a player from the A's, take Huston Street, Barry Zito or Danny Haren. By picking Duchscherer, I will always think that Politte is also in that category and should have been given a far greater look.

LongLiveFisk
07-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Why not get rid of the silly rule that each team needs to be represented?
I mean, do the Royals really need someone in?

Bravo. No, they DON'T. End of discussion.

SOXintheBURGH
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Bravo. No, they DON'T. End of discussion.

If that were the case, we would have none last year right? Loaiza??

LongLiveFisk
07-05-2005, 10:12 PM

Well I understand why they do it, I just don't agree with it. If your numbers are there, you should be an All-Star, regardless of your uniform.

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 02:40 PM
if you're a fan of a lousy team & no one from that team got picked....

how much fun would the ASG be? it may seem unfaif but they have to

include a player from each team

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Actually we probably would have had Konerko, since Harvey wouldn't have been a mandate

Fenway
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Francona claims that because of MLB arm twisting he was only able to fight to get one player Mike Sweeny of the Royals.

My thoughts is if you have to have a player from every team, then increase the roster. Bud should have learned you can never have enough pitchers.

http://howardsmusings.com/images/2002/07/09/BudSelig.jpg

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't think being snubbed will bother Cliff much though and he will hopefully be getting his reward come late October.

Exactly. The hope here is that Cliff Politte will pitch in games
far more meaningful than the ASG come October.:cool: :cool: :cool: