PDA

View Full Version : More Kind Words from Torii Hunter

rowand33
07-04-2005, 01:11 PM
taken from this article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=cnnsi-e6&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

and originally came from the Minnesota Star Tribune.

"We can't keep up with the White Sox -- they're ripping through everybody ... If people say we need to keep up with the White Sox, then we've got no chance." -- Twins center fielder Torii Hunter

:smile: . Jeez, Torii's really giving up early, huh?

kevingrt
07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Phil Rogers had that in his column on Sunday. I don't think Torii is giving up, I think he might just be saying this waiting for the Sox to possibly collaspe. But there is no reason for him to give-up they are right in the hunt for the wildcard.

Ron Karkovice
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
That torii hunter and his crazy reverse psychology

soxfanreggie
07-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll only count the Twins out of it if they put up a white flag trade or we've already locked up the spot. I'd like to see the Sox be up 10 games for the break and 12-13 games by the end of July. Sweeping the Twins would be the most awesome thing ever the first series we play them...it would really break their spirits and pretty much give us the Central.

TDog
07-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Hunter has made other comments about the team not having enough veterans and management having a policy not to keep guys who want more money after contributing to the team's success.

I don't think Hunter is giving up on the season. I think he is saying that as things are now, the Twinks only have a shot at the Wild Card. But Hunter's comments show he doesn't think the Twinks are the same team this year.

tstrike2000
07-04-2005, 02:02 PM
That's awfully nice of Torii to say. If the Sox pick up another quality starter for the second half then I'd say the division is just about ours, but we still have a half a season to play and the proverbial anything can happen could still. With about 56 or so wins at the AS break it would take a pretty good collapse by the Sox. However, the Twins and Indians could provide a good hunt for the wild card. The Tigers have made too many comments in the press about how much better they are than their record shows. They've gotten solid starting pitching and have some good sticks in their lineup, but have fallen too far back to make any kind of run.

slavko
07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
It's bushwa. He's trying to mess with people's minds.

flo-B-flo
07-04-2005, 11:00 PM
It's bushwa. He's trying to mess with people's minds. Yes and **** Torii Hunter. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Actually, from having a Minnesota perspective on it, I think Torii is trying to goad management into doing something to get them some help.

Gardenhire has been public saying that they don't need to look to their vaunted farm system to get back into it, because they already have too many youngsters, and they need some veteran presence in the lineup. I think Torii has got his skipper's back.

mike squires
07-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Wonder how Gardenhire feels about him making these kind of comments?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I pose this as a hypothetical - what if KW got Torii in a trade?? Would he be of help to us besides the cloak and dagger of knowing the Twins better? Do we need his bat, as opposed to being comfortable in it? Who would the Twins want?

ChicagoHoosier
07-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I pose this as a hypothetical - what if KW got Torii in a trade?? Would he be of help to us besides the cloak and dagger of knowing the Twins better? Do we need his bat, as opposed to being comfortable in it? Who would the Twins want?
We've got too many good outfielders as it is. With Everett taking PT away from Rowand and Pods just to keep all our bats in the lineup regularly, I'm not thinking Hunter is the best person for us to acquire.

I agree with previous poster - I'm not counting the Twins out until we clinch the division. Until then, they are a threat and have beaten us in key series the past three years. We have to keep owning them heads up like we started this year.

He gone
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
it would take a pretty good collapse by the Sox.

It's not over until it's over. I don't count on the Twins to just give up or Cleveland or Detroit for that matter. We still have a long way to go and any thing can happen. Just ask the Scrub fans about 1969 or even last year when they had a 7 (I think) game lead in the Wild Card race in August.

LVSoxFan
07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I think what Tori Hunter's doing is called "playing possum."I mean really: we're not even at the ASB yet and they're only 8-1/2 games back; I can't take his thoughts too seriously.

Iwritecode
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I pose this as a hypothetical - what if KW got Torii in a trade??

Never gonna happen. Inter-divisional trades are very rare. Especially between a first and second place team.

Would he be of help to us besides the cloak and dagger of knowing the Twins better?

Possibly, but we already have a pretty good CF and a catcher that knows the Twins roster pretty well.

Do we need his bat, as opposed to being comfortable in it?

Not really. I think the team could use more pitching.

Who would the Twins want?

Probably Rowand, McCarthy and a player to be named later. Like I said, never gonna happen...

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
It's bushwa. He's trying to mess with people's minds.

I don't believe him.Neither should any Sox fan.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 01:11 PM
It's not over until it's over. We still have a long way to go and any thing can happen. Just ask the Scrub fans about 1969 or even last year when they had a 7 (I think) game lead in the Wild Card race in August.

Also,the 1978 Blow Sawx and the 1995 Angels.

The '78 Blow Sawx had a 14 game lead in August.When injuries
befell them,the Yankmees got hotter than Hell to melt the lead into
a 2 way tie.Then the '78 playoff game ( AKA the
"Bucky F'ing Dent" game) came along,and the Carmines went
home with nothing to show for a great season.
The '95 Halos (Angels) had a similar August lead.But the month
was cruel to them.They won very few games at a time when the
Mariners caught fire.They also finished tied for victories.
The Halos lost when Randy Johnson defeated Mark Langston
in a 1 game playoff.

Like Lawrence "Yogi" Berra once said,
"It Ain't Over Till It's Over".Lenny Kravitz
even used it as a song title,for God's sake.