PDA

View Full Version : Cubune: I Thought the Cubs Just Got Swept?

TomBradley72
07-04-2005, 12:32 PM
More b.s. from north side rag this morning....coming off a sweep at home by the Nationals....but they are "heartened by 2nd consecutive comeback"?! So losing three straight including Burnitz getting picked off at 3RD BASE on Friday...but still lots of reason for optimism thru the Cubbie blue glasses.

White Sox Sweep Tigers on the road = "Rolling Towards Danger"
White Sox Sweep Blue Jays on the road = "Somber Streak"
Cubbies Swept by Nationals at home = "Heartened by 2nd Consecutive Comeback"

Can we start a congressional investigation....like in the movie "Quiz Show"?

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Thats just rampant idiocy..

Explain this one Knue.

Brian26
07-04-2005, 01:00 PM
I listened to Pat Hughes do his "Ask Pat" segment on Cubune radio this morning with John Williams. These two guys talk to their audience as if they are talking to a bunch of first graders. Pat's excited about the pitching being healthy again, and now "they get to go to Atlanta and play the wild card leaders!" Hughes said the Cubs are only 4 games out of the wild card lead, which is truly pathetic for a .500 team.

Baby Fisk
07-04-2005, 01:03 PM
It just goes to show that Cubs fans will swallow any crap you feed them.:thankgod

tebman
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Thats just rampant idiocy..

Explain this one Knue.
In fairness to George Knue, he edits the Tribune's sports website and not the paper. In fact, last week he actually went in and changed the website headline from the "rolling toward danger" headline that was in the print version after the Sox swept the Tigers.

George deserves credit for taking us on so honestly and vigorously last week, but I still think there's an institutional preference (I'm tired of the word "bias") at the Tribune toward the Cubs. George is adamant that the Trib's editorial office is a sacred temple that is not contaminated by vulgar concerns like preferences for its own sister enterprises. It goes without saying that those of us here disagree.

There's this sort of flavor in the water that's ingested by Chicago leaders and opinion-makers that the Cubs are "Chicago's Team." I'm convinced it's because people who work in the "information" industries mostly live on the north side of metropolitan Chicago and buy into the northside/holy ivy ethos. The South Side, as we all know, is where Capone lived, where the smelly stockyards were, where the smoky factories were/are, and where icky people live, not the respectable and well-dressed folks like northsiders.

I feel myself slipping into a rant, so I'll stop. But I think a person of integrity like George can't understand what we're saying because of where he is, just like a fish can't be aware of the water because he's in it.

The Sox just need to keep on winning. That's the cure for what ails us. :sunshine:

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 01:27 PM
In fairness to George Knue, he edits the Tribune's sports website and not the paper. In fact, last week he actually went in and changed the website headline from the "rolling toward danger" headline that was in the print version after the Sox swept the Tigers.

George deserves credit for taking us on so honestly and vigorously last week, but I still think there's an institutional preference (I'm tired of the word "bias") at the Tribune toward the Cubs. George is adamant that the Trib's editorial office is a sacred temple that is not contaminated by vulgar concerns like preferences for its own sister enterprises. It goes without saying that those of us here disagree.

There's this sort of flavor in the water that's ingested by Chicago leaders and opinion-makers that the Cubs are "Chicago's Team." I'm convinced it's because people who work in the "information" industries mostly live on the north side of metropolitan Chicago and buy into the northside/holy ivy ethos. The South Side, as we all know, is where Capone lived, where the smelly stockyards were, where the smoky factories were/are, and where icky people live, not the respectable and well-dressed folks like northsiders.

I feel myself slipping into a rant, so I'll stop. But I think a person of integrity like George can't understand what we're saying because of where he is, just like a fish can't be aware of the water because he's in it.

The Sox just need to keep on winning. That's the cure for what ails us. :sunshine:

Whoa.. sorry didn't mean to induce a mini-rant. Sometimes a guy forgets the teal for sarcasm, guy. I fixed it for future relevance, if any.

tebman
07-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Whoa.. sorry didn't mean to induce a mini-rant. Sometimes a guy forgets the teal for sarcasm, guy. I fixed it for future relevance, if any.

No problem, Burgh :thumbsup:

Teal or not, that headline is relevant to the larger point, and since George is the one who has chosen (courageously, I might add) to respond to us, it's appropriate to address that to him.

Rants are okay if they come to some conclusion, and I hope mine did. I dunno -- like George Knue wrote in what looked like his farewell address last week, I get tired too. He gets tired of he and his colleagues getting painted with a broad brush, and I get tired of the Sox and their fans being ignored and the subject of condescension.

Power to the people, etc. :wink:

Tragg
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
More b.s. from north side rag this morning....coming off a sweep at home by the Nationals....but they are "heartened by 2nd consecutive comeback"?! So losing three straight including Burnitz getting picked off at 3RD BASE on Friday...but still lots of reason for optimism thru the Cubbie blue glasses.

Can we start a congressional investigation....like in the movie "Quiz Show"?

That can't possibly be their depictions - could it? "rolling toward danger"?

That's hilarious.

The cubs have a terrible offensive team as evidenced by Hollingsworth making the team as a starter.

Tomorrow it will probably be "Wood dominates Braves" - with "from the 2nd to 5th inning" in fine print.

The Racehorse
07-04-2005, 10:08 PM

No Shame.

TornLabrum
07-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Personally I was heartened by their getting shut out by the Braves tonight.

TDog
07-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Personally I was heartened by their getting shut out by the Braves tonight.

I looked at the standings and was surprised to see them 11.5 games out of first. Maybe conventional wisdom still has them winning the Wild Card because they're only 5 back with Prior and Wood back, but they're only 1 game ahead of Houston. If the Astros pull off another Beltran-esque deal, they could be in the thick of it. And the Brewers are only 1.5 games behind the Cubs.

Still, ya gotta be excited if you're a Cubs fan. I guess.

TornLabrum
07-05-2005, 01:24 AM

:tealpolice:

Baby Fisk
07-05-2005, 09:48 AM
I looked at the standings and was surprised to see them 11.5 games out of first. Maybe conventional wisdom still has them winning the Wild Card because they're only 5 back with Prior and Wood back, but they're only 1 game ahead of Houston. If the Astros pull off another Beltran-esque deal, they could be in the thick of it. And the Brewers are only 1.5 games behind the Cubs.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg
"Oh dude, it's awesome being here in Atlanta! The weather is great and there's loads of southern gals at the ballpark. They love us midwestern guys! I got three phone numbers last night. They all start with 555 -- now I finally know where the 555 numbers come from! Sunday's game back at Wrigley was awesome too. We kept coming back and spoiling the day for Washington. Extra innings, baby! Cubs never say die! We are on a roll! We are THIS CLOSE to making the playoffs again. Man, it's awesome being a Cubs fan!"

Dan H
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
No Shame.

No Shame is right. Not to mention constant trips to La-La land. It is part of the Cubs legacy. They are in a constant state of denial and the Tribune keeps sinking to new lows. It is all so transparent but Cub fans cant' see it or refuse to see it. That will be the case even when the Cubs fail again to go to the World Series in '05, completing six straight decades of never even making an appearance.

CubKilla
07-05-2005, 11:38 AM
I hope the friggin' Cubs get swept by Atlanta. After all, a team that starts talking WildCard in early June deserves to be 9 games out of it by July.

Was hoping to see another "VINTAGE WOOD" back page spread in the Sun-Times today considering Carrie's performance last night against Atlanta was much more of a "vintage" Wood performance the past few seasons than his performance against an offensive powerhouse like Milwaukee last week when they produced that vomit inducing headline.

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I hope the friggin' Cubs get swept by Atlanta.

Considering the pathetic game I read about in the Cubune this
morning,that is becoming a more likely possibility by the day.:D:

Oops,I forgot."Craig Maddox" starts tonight.:roflmao: :roflmao:

( I have actually heard sCrUBS fans call Greg Maddux
"Craig Maddox".Most of the new breed are too intoxicated
to even recoginze his name).:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

maurice
07-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Speaking of standings . . . it must be nice to play an unbalanced schedule when your home division has five teams under .500. The Sox would have 70 wins by now if they played in such a crappy division.

maurice
07-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Was hoping to see another "VINTAGE WOOD" back page spread in the Sun-Times today

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5982.jpg
"What?!? You mean you don't appreciate
my dominant 1-2 record and 5.30 ERA?"

CubKilla
07-05-2005, 11:57 PM
07/07/05's Sun-Times headline should read.....

VINTAGE CUBS :supernana:

TDog
07-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Speaking of standings . . . it must be nice to play an unbalanced schedule when your home division has five teams under .500. The Sox would have 70 wins by now if they played in such a crappy division.

The Sox are 26-5 within their division. If by now the Sox had won EVERY game within their division, they would be 61-21 overall.

No one has a record within their own division, even within their own crappy divisions, to compare with what the Sox have done this year.

I don't believe the Sox would have 70 wins if they played in the Cubs' crappy division. On the other hand, I am certain they wouldn't be two games under .500.

Wsoxmike59
07-06-2005, 07:51 AM
"Oh dude, it's awesome being here in Atlanta! The weather is great and there's loads of southern gals at the ballpark. They love us midwestern guys! I got three phone numbers last night. They all start with 555 -- now I finally know where the 555 numbers come from! Sunday's game back at Wrigley was awesome too. We kept coming back and spoiling the day for Washington. Extra innings, baby! Cubs never say die! We are on a roll! We are THIS CLOSE to making the playoffs again. Man, it's awesome being a Cubs fan!"

I nominate BabyFisk for Post of the Week. ROTFLMAO!!!!
:D:

itsnotrequired
07-06-2005, 09:32 AM
The Sox are 26-5 within their division. If by now the Sox had won EVERY game within their division, they would be 61-21 overall.

No one has a record within their own division, even within their own crappy divisions, to compare with what the Sox have done this year.

I don't believe the Sox would have 70 wins if they played in the Cubs' crappy division. On the other hand, I am certain they wouldn't be two games under .500.

I believe the closest team with as good a record in their own division is St. Louis at 26-9. Of course, we all know how the NL Central is the toughest division while the AL Central is a joke.

Hitmen77
07-06-2005, 09:37 AM
The other myth that the media keeps repeating is that the Cubs would be terrific this year if it weren't for injuries. Ahem, they have had both Prior and Wood back during this latest tailspin. IIRC, they weren't doing so great when they had Prior and Wood available earlier in the season either.

Hitmen77
07-06-2005, 09:40 AM
"Oh dude, it's awesome being here in Atlanta at Wrigley Field South! The weather is great and there's loads of southern gals at the ballpark. They love us midwestern guys! I got three phone numbers last night. They all start with 555 -- now I finally know where the 555 numbers come from! Sunday's game back at Wrigley was awesome too. We kept coming back and spoiling the day for Washington. Extra innings, baby! Cubs never say die! We are on a roll! We are THIS CLOSE to making the playoffs again. Man, it's awesome being a Cubs fan!"

I added some appropriate text in bold.

Cowhead418
07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
The other myth that the media keeps repeating is that the Cubs would be terrific this year if it weren't for injuries. Ahem, they have had both Prior and Wood back during this latest tailspin. IIRC, they weren't doing so great when they had Prior and Wood available earlier in the season either.
You want injuries? Look at the Braves. They have so many rookies in their lineup it's not funny. Yet they still keep winning. Let the Flubs :whiner: , it's not doing anything for them except cause them to go deeper down in the standings. They are now tied with Houston and only a .5 game in front of the Brewers. Do I hear 4th place by the end of today?

CubKilla
07-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Do I hear 4th place by the end of today?

A man can dream :bandance: