PDA

View Full Version : All Star being traded?

downstairs
07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Sort-of a side question here. Something I've always wondered.

If an all-star player gets traded, lets say a few days before the AS game... does he wear his new team's uniform and represent them?

What happens if he is the only all star from the team he left? Do they quickly get another player from the old team?

I'm sure its happened before...

Over By There
07-04-2005, 09:14 AM
When the ASG was in Chicago a couple of years ago, we had just traded for Carl. I don't remember how far in advance of the ASG he was acquired, but he wore the Sox uni.

Brian26
07-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Sort-of a side question here. Something I've always wondered.

If an all-star player gets traded, lets say a few days before the AS game... does he wear his new team's uniform and represent them?

What happens if he is the only all star from the team he left? Do they quickly get another player from the old team?

I'm sure its happened before...

He definitely wears the new team's uni. Case in point: Carl Everett in 2003 (tex to chi). Not sure on the second part of the question though. If that's the only team's all-star, I bet MLB would pick someone else to represent the team and fly them in to the game ASAP.

jake27
07-04-2005, 09:35 AM
didnt carlos beltran get chosen as an all star while on the royals and then was traded to the NL and then the NL manager had to decide to ass him to the team or not (he did). i dont know but did the royals need another starter in the game then?

rmusacch
07-04-2005, 09:49 AM
didnt carlos beltran get chosen as an all star while on the royals and then was traded to the NL and then the NL manager had to decide to ass him to the team or not (he did). i dont know but did the royals need another starter in the game then?

Carlos Beltran was traded to that Astros before the All Star selections were made. He was voted in as a starter in the American League and then named to the National League team. Carl Everettwas named to the All Star team as a White Sox player two years ago.

Chips
07-04-2005, 12:41 PM

They did, Mike Sweeney was chosen as the Royals representative, which left Paul Konerko at home. Many Sox fans thought he deserved the nod

TheOldRoman
07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
If a player was already named to the team and was traded to a team in the same league, nothing would change. If he switched leagues after he was named to the team, another player would be named to fill his spot, and the traded played who switched leagues would officially be an all-star, though he would not be active for the game unless a spot opened up for him. There was a really bad team a couple of years ago, maybe the Tigers, who traded their lone all-star a few days after he was named to the team, so they had no all-star representation.

Thats what happened with Beltran last year. He was voted in to start for the AL in center, but was traded. He was officially an NL all star, and would have been allowed to sit on the bench and have his name read in the player intros. However, he wouldn't have been able to play if a spot didn't open up on the team.

As for Carl, he was traded to the Sox on July 2. He was named to the team as a White Sox player because he had 18 homers at the start of July, which was among the tops that season. I believe he only hit 5 the rest of the season.

The Dude
07-04-2005, 01:37 PM
They did, Mike Sweeney was chosen as the Royals representative, which left Paul Konerko at home. Many Sox fans thought he deserved the nod

Of course PK deserved the nod, he had a great first half and got snubbed. Funny thing is that now he has a decent first half and get on the allstar team with by far the lowest batting average of any player on both teams.

Chips
07-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Of course PK deserved the nod, he had a great first half and got snubbed. Funny thing is that now he has a decent first half and get on the allstar team with by far the lowest batting average of any player on both teams.

Besides his crappy batting average, his other numbers are pretty good. He usually hits when we need him two. Maybe he can have a great second half.

CallMeNuts
07-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Besides his crappy batting average, his other numbers are pretty good. He usually hits when we need him two. Maybe he can have a great second half.

Just keep Paulie out of the HR derby.

DSpivack
07-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Just keep Paulie out of the HR derby.

He is in it this year, I do believe.

soxfanreggie
07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Is he the United State representative? Aren't they picking players from 10 different countries?

Banix12
07-04-2005, 11:19 PM

Actually if I recall, Ken Harvey was the lone Royals representative since he was batting like .340 at the time and I believe Sweeney was on the DL.

Chips
07-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Actually if I recall, Ken Harvey was the lone Royals representative since he was batting like .340 at the time and I believe Sweeney was on the DL.

You're right. I guess I messed that up.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Yeah, he was. Harvey was actually released by KC earlier this season. I don't what happened to him after that.