PDA

View Full Version : THE New Rotation

jhill36
07-04-2005, 03:43 AM
This is ballsy. Have you seen it? Jose Contreras is slated to begin the four-game series in Cleveland on Thursday. Following him will be Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland. Then, opening the home series against the Tigers will be Orlando Hernandez.

That means Buerhle will start some tough series down the line, including series against Boston on both July 22 AND August 12, Hernandez will open a series against his old team the Yankees on August 9 ..if he's still healthy..., and Garcia/Buehrle/Garland will face the Twinks in the crucial series at the end of August.

What do yall think of Contreras at the head of the new rotation?

Mr. White Sox
07-04-2005, 03:49 AM
This makes perfect sense...just because Contreras is starting the first game, this does not make him the ace in the slightest. This gets the best pitchers against the toughest teams, with possibly good matchups as well. I love this decision.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2005, 07:25 AM
At the beginning of the season - and even into May - I thought the Sox September schedule set up perfectly for them to surge into the playoffs, because they play all AL Central teams to close out the year.

Now that the AL Central has established itself as one of the strongest divisions in baseball, it's even more important that the Sox beat their division rivals.

So, to put the Sox best starters in positions where they have been the most successful, and against intra-division rivals the Sox must beat, is doubly smart!

jhill36
07-04-2005, 09:09 AM
At the beginning of the season - and even into May - I thought the Sox September schedule set up perfectly for them to surge into the playoffs, because they play all AL Central teams to close out the year.

Now that the AL Central has established itself as one of the strongest divisions in baseball, it's even more important that the Sox beat their division rivals.

So, to put the Sox best starters in positions where they have been the most successful, and against intra-division rivals the Sox must beat, is doubly smart!

I'm sure Coop played with different permutations. In the end this was the best fit. I really hope Contreras has a better second half because he going to be starting some important games too, like the one against KC on Sept. 8!!!

Lip Man 1
07-04-2005, 12:14 PM
The newspapers quoted Ozzie today as saying under this format Buehrle, Garcia and Garland face the central opponents more then any other combination.

Besides when the Sox make a deal for a starting pitcher either Contraras (likely) or Hernandez will be out of the rotation anyway.

Lip

kevingrt
07-04-2005, 12:18 PM
This makes perfect sense...just because Contreras is starting the first game, this does not make him the ace in the slightest. This gets the best pitchers against the toughest teams, with possibly good matchups as well. I love this decision.

I can't agree more with you!

soxfanreggie
07-04-2005, 12:36 PM
It's good. MB can whip Kansas City, but he needs more games against the bigger teams. JC, I believe, can take care of Kansas City, Tampa Bay, etc. (hopefully), but we def. need our top pitchers for Minnesota, Boston, NY, etc.

DickAllen72
07-04-2005, 01:04 PM
The only down side to this plan is that Jose & El Duque are not split up in the rotation.

Chips
07-04-2005, 01:09 PM
The only down side to this plan is that Jose & El Duque are not split up in the rotation.

That is a downside, but most likely one of them will be traded soon and the upside is Garland, Buehrle, and Garcia are not split up either.