PDA

View Full Version : Slow Swing released by TB

The Dude
07-03-2005, 10:52 PM
just heard on sporting news radio that Chris Singleton is officially released from TB and he is now available. got to make you laugh

Notes from Sportsline
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/TB
OF Chris Singleton was granted his release. Singleton opened the season with the Devil Rays, but was designated for assignment on May 20 and released a week later. He signed a minor league contract with the team earlier this week and was brought up from Triple-A Durham on Saturday. Manager Lou Piniella said he expected the team to call up an infielder on Monday.

Brian26
07-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Call me crazy, but I always liked Singleton and thought he was a classy presence on the team in '99 and 2000. He got screwed in that whole Julio Ramirez debacle in 2001 and never regained his form.

soltrain21
07-03-2005, 11:20 PM
They should have kept him atleast one more series. He killed us last time.

balke
07-03-2005, 11:26 PM
HAHAHA. He had one good game against us earlier this season, and there were like 8 people clammoring for him back on the team. He sucks.

doublem23
07-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Call me crazy, but I always liked Singleton and thought he was a classy presence on the team in '99 and 2000. He got screwed in that whole Julio Ramirez debacle in 2001 and never regained his form.

He made some great grabs for the Sox. I remember him going a good 2-3 feet over the old wall in right center to rob Paul O'Neill, IIRC, of a homer one game.

Mr. White Sox
07-04-2005, 12:22 AM
who are the 'Rays going to call up? B.J. Upton?

TDog
07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
HAHAHA. He had one good game against us earlier this season, and there were like 8 people clammoring for him back on the team. He sucks.

It wasn't just one good game. He had other big hits against the Sox. One game that stands out was a game in Oakland where he beat the Sox with big hits. He was probably a tougher hitter against the Sox than he was against other teams.

Actually, I'm not disappointed to see him unemployed at the moment.

Brian26
07-04-2005, 12:29 PM
It wasn't just one good game. He had other big hits against the Sox. One game that stands out was a game in Oakland where he beat the Sox with big hits. He was probably a tougher hitter against the Sox than he was against other teams.

Actually, I'm not disappointed to see him unemployed at the moment.

I believe he was openly contemplating a broadcasting career before Tampa Bay picked him up this season. He sat in w/ Hawk and DJ last year to discuss this. Hopefully he'll find some success with this down the line.

soxfanreggie
07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
The Twins should grab him for all their games against us...NOT!

Optipessimism
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
The Twins should grab him for all their games against us...NOT!

Please don't give them any ideas.

By the way, I always liked him too. Not as a regular player, but I think he would be a solid bench option/pinch runner.

jake27
07-05-2005, 12:49 AM
sure chris was a class act guy and did ok while he was here. but please people, dont be clamering for him to be picked up by the sox.

CLR01
07-05-2005, 12:51 AM
sure chris was a class act guy and did ok while he was here. but please people, dont be clamering for him to be picked up by the sox.

And why shouldn't the Sox jump at the chance to pick up a future HOFer?

FedEx227
07-05-2005, 09:15 AM
And why shouldn't the Sox jump at the chance to pick up a future HOFer?
:tealpolice:?

who are the 'Rays going to call up? B.J. Upton?

Hopefully so...I can't believe they've went half a year with Gathright and Upton in AAA, you have NOTHING to lose, play these guys, get them their experience.

buehrle4cy05
07-06-2005, 03:39 PM
B.J. Upton?

I'd like to see them give Delmon Young a chance. After all, they are the Devil Rays, so what do they have to lose?

D. TODD
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Call me crazy, but I always liked Singleton and thought he was a classy presence on the team in '99 and 2000. He got screwed in that whole Julio Ramirez debacle in 2001 and never regained his form. I always thought he was a class act. I hope he catches on somewhere and adds a couple more years of big league time to his career.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I liked Singleton when he was here. I agree with whoever noted how Singleton got shafted in Kenny Williams' Julio Ramirez/Royce Clayton debacle of 2001. He was a better all-around ballplayer than either of those two.

Thanks Chris for some memorable catches and memorable hits, too.

:flameswing