PDA

View Full Version : *official* Thank God Sox don't go to Oakland Again Postgame Thread

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:33 PM
have at it.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
have at it.

If Oakland makes the playoffs we're screwed.

Mr. White Sox
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Eh...

Sox of White
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Yep, that picture sums it up well.

EdHerman12
07-03-2005, 06:37 PM
:deadhorse: <-----------if we're gonna start talking about playing in "cursed" Oakland........get back home and get ready to crunch the Dead Rays....and :gulp:<---------heavily for the next 24!

kojak
07-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Bah! Take Buehrle out of the equation and we are 2-2 there this season.

Hardly a cause for weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Sox of White
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
:deadhorse: <-----------if we're gonna start talking about playing in "cursed" Oakland........get back home and get ready to crunch the Dead Rays....and :gulp:<---------heavily for the next 24!

Here here Ed. Let's sit back and relax, and focus on giving McCarthy his first Major League Win!

kojak
07-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Oops, I guess this isn't an *official* post-game thread.

My bad...

batmanZoSo
Ugh I was so pissed earlier, but who cares...same stuff every time, what do you expect? Another game we lose in no other ballpark in America but Oakland. Back home now. Still a 4-2 road trip. Cannot complain about that.

Sox of White

Hardly a cause for weeping and gnashing of teeth.

When you are talking about taking Buehrle out of the equation, and it being a good thing, you know there must be something wrong there.

EdHerman12
07-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm as relaxed as can be my friend....I watched all 3 Twins/D-Rays games, and I'm feeling better already!

GO SOX! :gulp:<------gotta make room in the fridge....Braves/Phillies on national TV for the second straight day.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Hardly a cause for weeping and gnashing of teeth. I'd just like to say that I like how "gnashing of teeth" has become an unofficial WSI catch phrase, starting with Hangar's thread title about Joe Blanton a few months ago. :D:

BlackHat91
07-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Woke up from my nap and turned on the game in the sixth. SOX were enjoying a comfortable 2-0 lead. Thats when the A's blew the game open. Ahh well lets just get some wins against the Devil Rays and keep moving along.

shoota
07-03-2005, 06:59 PM
I found it humorous to watch Damaso Marte attempt to throw sunflower seeds at a camera in the dugout--and missing! Though I guess he's not good at throwing strikes.

That was almost as funny as Ed Farmer's comment on Mark Ellis's bunt that he lined to Konerko with with men on first and third: "If he had bunted that any harder, it would have been a sac fly."

This game wasn't all laughs though. Some tears were shed. Crying Crede pleaded with the third base umpire for an interference call before the play had ended. Dude, it's a major league pop up, shake off the love tap Kotsay gave you and continue with the play. Just another example of the way Crede plays ball: Win or cry trying. For those of you who didn't see the play, Crede wasn't injured physically, but Herm did give him a hug in the dugout to repair emotional scaring. :D:

A's fans are a different breed. In the game-changing 6th inning, I heard what I think was a harmonica playing, "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." :rolling:

ilsox7
07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I found it humorous to watch Damaso Marte attempt to throw sunflower seeds at a camera in the clubouse--and missing! Though I guess he's not good at throwing strikes.

That was almost as funny as Ed Farmer's comment on Mark Ellis's bunt that he lined to Konerko with with men on first and third: "If he had bunted that any harder, it would have been a sac fly."

This game wasn't all laughs though. Some tears were shed. Crying Crede pleaded with the third base umpire for an interference call before the play had ended. Dude, it's a major league pop up, shake off the love tap Kotsay gave you and continue with the play. Just another example of the way Crede plays ball: Win or cry trying. For those of you who didn't see the play, Crede wasn't injured physically, but Herm did give him a hug in the dugout to repair emotional injury. :D:

A's fans are a different breed. In the game-changing 6th inning, I heard what I think was a harmonica playing, "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands." :rolling:

According to Hawk, interference was called on the play and the batter ruled out before the catch was even made.

shoota
07-03-2005, 07:05 PM
According to Hawk, interference was called on the play and the batter ruled out before the catch was even made.

Farmer said the same.

BeviBall!
07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Screw it! Get em tomorrow!

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 07:08 PM
LOL I think everyone is too busy in the Schmidt thread

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2005, 07:10 PM
The A's know how to hit Buehrle. At least we're not goin' into that death hole again.:mad:

RKMeibalane
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I wonder how long it will take for the FOHF to descend upon the board and complain.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 07:15 PM
I wonder how long it will take for the FOHF to descend upon the board and complain.

He is back and posting today...

whitesoxfan
07-03-2005, 07:16 PM
oh well, its Oakland. Their not going to win the West and hopefully not the WC.

lets go home and get a sweep of the DRays :bandance:

RKMeibalane
07-03-2005, 07:16 PM
He is back and posting today...

Please tell me you're joking.

Jurr
07-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I thought he was forever banned?

Palehose13

Nope. I think he came on soon after Oakland took the lead.

**edit: last page of "playoff needs" thread.

Lip Man 1
Agreed...thank God the Sox are done going to that dump for this season.

Don't even waste time concerning yourself about the A's making the playoffs. They are five out of the wild card which certainly isn't insurmountable HOWEVER there are five or six teams ahead of them in the wild card standings...that's the issue, since all of those teams aren't going to go in the dumper.

Today's performance by Buehrle fielding wise give creedence I guess to West's comments after Friday's farce.

But hey they still went 4-2 on the road trip now they come home for six before the break. It could be a lot worse.

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Nope. I think he came on soon after Oakland took the lead.

**edit: last page of "playoff needs" thread.

I saw it. I can't believe he was allowed to come back after what he did earlier.

Jurr
07-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Speaking of the West Coast....maybe the biggest schmuck on the west coast, none other than Brett Boone, has been designated for assignment. SNAP!

RKMeibalane
07-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Speaking of the West Coast....maybe the biggest schmuck on the west coast, none other than Brett Boone, has been designated for assignment. SNAP!

:hawk

"HE GAWN!"

NSSoxFan
07-03-2005, 07:25 PM

Don't even waste time concerning yourself about the A's making the playoffs. They are five out of the wild card which certainly isn't insurmountable HOWEVER there are five or six teams ahead of them in the wild card standings...that's the issue, since all of those teams aren't going to go in the dumper.

Today's performance by Buehrle fielding wise give creedence I guess to West's comments after Friday's farce.

But hey they still went 4-2 on the road trip now they come home for six before the break. It could be a lot worse.

Lip

Right on.

We had a successful road trip, IMO. You never like to lose a series but you have to figure it would be at Oakland. Last year we were 1-3 over there and 1-2 the year before. 2-4 is nothing to be proud of, we should just be happy to win those two though. Also, West is right when he says to assume every game at Oakland to be a loss and if we win it's gravy.

Now, we come home to Tampa and Oakland. It would be great to win both of those series.

Corlose 15
07-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Not to lose perspective or anything but I am so freaking sick of this BS with Oakland. Every year they go out there and crap their pants. I'm sick of hearing this "Oh well its Oakland" crap too.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That said, go sweep the POS Devil Rays.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2005, 07:36 PM
The only good thing to happen today was that the Cubs lost, the friggin' Twins and Indians both won. Sure hope Tampa lays down for the Sox like they did for the Twins!

Lip

veeter
07-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Last night's win was HUGE. 4-2 road trip is excellent. Twins made up 1 game playing the Royals and D-Rays, good for us bad for them.

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2005, 08:47 PM
I am just happy we don't have to play there anymore. I don't know what it is about that place.

LuvSox
07-03-2005, 08:51 PM
I am just happy we don't have to play there anymore. I don't know what it is about that place.

I agree. I turned to my wife and said "I hate that place." Of course she looked back at me like I was an idiot. :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
07-03-2005, 09:08 PM
4-2 road trip is excellent.
Once again, I'll employ the special coping mechanism I use after a disappointing conclusion to an otherwise successful road swing or home series (used it last Sunday, too):

What would you have said if, one week ago, someone had given you the choice of an automatic (insert recent record here, in this case 4-2 on the road, last week 8-4 at home, etc.) result, OR, letting the teams play the games and accepting whatever the results? As was the case after the home stand, I'd have taken the automatic .667 record without question.

That said, I have one small Dark Cloud-ish observation: a team that is 49-18 every other day of the week is only 5-8 on Sundays. I wonder if the Sox could request Sundays off in observance of the Christian Sabbath? Apologies to my Jewish Sox fan brethren, but they are 9-3 on Saturdays!:redneck

PAPChiSox729
07-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Ugh I was so pissed earlier, but who cares...same stuff every time, what do you expect? Another game we lose in no other ballpark in America but Oakland. Back home now. Still a 4-2 road trip. Cannot complain about that.

Yeah, I thought they were actually going to come back after they were down 4-2.
:redface:

Oh well. Like you said, same old stuff. We save our worst play for Oakland. This year, I think it will stay in Oakland though. Good news is that, barring a surprising playoff berth by the A's, we are finished in Oakland for another season!

gobears1987
07-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm not worried, I mean we were able to win in Anaheim this year and that's good. The A's aren't going to the post-season so who cares? I think we can beat the Angels in the playoffs. I mean we won 4 of 7 against them.

infohawk
07-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Seriously, I have decided that there really is some definitive reason we don't play well against the A's in Oakland. What did it for me is that, even with a newly constructed team, the Sox still continue to struggle. The problem is either mental or match-up related.

CubKilla
07-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Looks like some here are accepting Sox losses.....

MeanFish
07-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I think it comes down to a rock/paper/scissors effect. We're great at pitching to teams that are trying to do too much at the dish, and Oakland doesn't do that at all like other teams do. They just go for singles. Their offense, when they're making contact, is like a belt sander.

Strikeout staffs I'd imagine do well against Oakland, but since we have such a low k/9 for basically our whole staff, we're easy pickings for a team of their makeup.

SpringfldFan
07-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I think it comes down to a rock/paper/scissors effect. We're great at pitching to teams that are trying to do too much at the dish, and Oakland doesn't do that at all like other teams do. They just go for singles. Their offense, when they're making contact, is like a belt sander.

Strikeout staffs I'd imagine do well against Oakland, but since we have such a low k/9 for basically our whole staff, we're easy pickings for a team of their makeup.

That is the best explanation for the unexplainable that I have heard so far.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Cub:

I don't accept any losses but it's unreasonable to expect to win every game, plus when you are almost thirty games over .500 the occasional loss is a lot easier to take.

It could be worse.....2002, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995 and the late 80's come immediately to mind.

Lip

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 11:28 PM

What are supposed to do, not accept it? Deny it happened?

Fake Chet Lemon
07-03-2005, 11:29 PM
If anything, these two series in Oakland demonstrated what a stud Garland is this year. We are o-fer in both without him starting.

ndu3t4
07-03-2005, 11:47 PM
That said, I have one small Dark Cloud-ish observation: a team that is 49-18 every other day of the week is only 5-8 on Sundays. I wonder if the Sox could request Sundays off in observance of the Christian Sabbath? Apologies to my Jewish Sox fan brethren, but they are 9-3 on Saturdays!:redneck

I think you have to take into account all the getaway day lineups Ozzie has thrown out there. Example: that one game where Ozzie played Timo at 1st. I believe that was on a sunday. I'm not too worried about it.

Lets go get Tampa Bay. I think BMac is gona start winning now that he's worked that change up into his arsonal.

JB98
07-04-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't think Oakland is going to get anywhere near the playoffs, but I wouldn't be afraid to face them if they did. Moneyball only works in the regular season. It always fails in the playoffs.

samram
07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
What are supposed to do, not accept it? Deny it happened?

Maybe shoota can come up with some rules about losses that don't count or something.

samram
07-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Name one team that's won every game in a season.

flo-B-flo
07-04-2005, 12:41 AM

Lip I hate that ****in place. The Sox franchise has never played good there. Some good memories but, mostly a bad time over there.

flo-B-flo
07-04-2005, 12:44 AM
That is the best explanation for the unexplainable that I have heard so far. Yea but, Oakland won't be there at the end. How many games left until the playoffs?

CubKilla
07-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Name one team that's won every game in a season.

Zero. But I'm sick of reading, "It's Oakland. Oh well! Forget it and move on (to the next team)." Forget that. This is the best team in MLB right now and they STILL can't beat Oakland in Oakland. A team close to 30 games over .500 playing a team a few games under .500 should be handing the sub .500 team it's ass on a platter. Sure the Sox will lose series. And sure the Sox will lose series to teams that they should be beating..... at least record-wise..... handily. But this losing to Oakland in Oakland EVERY-FRIGGIN'-TIME is starting to become a damn joke. If things stay relatively the same, the Sox may end up playing a West Coast team in the first round. I wonder if everyone will be so quick to say, "It's the West Coast. Oh well! We never win on the West Coast. Wait till next year!"

Lip Man 1
07-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Cub:

Then this should really boil your blood, the Sox are 1-2 against the Devil Rays and McCarthy (he of the 7.07 ERA) goes Monday, meanwhile the Twins I think are 6-0 against them.

Stuff happens, I'm sure the Tigers are asking themselves the same questions about the Sox as the Sox ask about Oakland.

Lip

JB98
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Cub:

Then this should really boil your blood, the Sox are 1-2 against the Devil Rays and McCarthy (he of the 7.07 ERA) goes Monday, meanwhile the Twins I think are 6-0 against them.

Stuff happens, I'm sure the Tigers are asking themselves the same questions about the Sox as the Sox ask about Oakland.

Lip

Hideo Nomo is pitching for Tampa Bay tomorrow. His ERA is almost as bad as McCarthy's, and he's had quite a few more starts. Hopefully, that will make you feel better about our chances tomorrow. It's similar to when McCarthy pitched against Lima: Don't expect a pitchers duel.

Look at it this way, the Twins played Kansas City and Tampa Bay at home this week. We played at Detroit and at Oakland. That is a clear edge for the Twinks in terms of scheduling. However, they only picked up one game. They went 5-1. We went 4-2. I can live with that.

We have Tampa Bay at home. The Twinks are on their way to Anaheim. Let's capitalize.

Get Back There!
07-04-2005, 01:38 AM
We have Tampa Bay at home. The Twinks are on their way to Anaheim. Let's capitalize.

i totally agree

soltrain21
07-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Cubkilla was the same one who was bitching about the Cubs series. Just ignore him. He is the interim Homefish. Homefish is back now, though...so it could get interesting between those two.

The Dude
07-04-2005, 02:02 AM
If Oakland makes the playoffs we're screwed.

no chance in hell that they make it

Mercy!
07-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Hideo Nomo is pitching for Tampa Bay tomorrow. His ERA is almost as bad as McCarthy's, and he's had quite a few more starts. Hopefully, that will make you feel better about our chances tomorrow. It's similar to when McCarthy pitched against Lima: Don't expect a pitchers duel. capitalize.

Yes, but remember that embarrassing trip to the doormat Devil Rays in May? It all began with a loss for the Sox in a game that Nomo started. He pitched 5 innings and gave up 2 runs. But Freddy Garcia gave up 4 runs. Before that game, the Sox announcers were implying that Nomo was a has-been with a high ERA. Maybe so, but the Sox still lost. Funny things can happen.

But Iíve still got to like our prospects at home this week.

FarWestChicago
07-04-2005, 02:32 AM
This game wasn't all laughs though. Some tears were shed. Crying Crede pleaded with the third base umpire for an interference call before the play had ended. Dude, it's a major league pop up, shake off the love tap Kotsay gave you and continue with the play. Just another example of the way Crede plays ball: Win or cry trying. For those of you who didn't see the play, Crede wasn't injured physically, but Herm did give him a hug in the dugout to repair emotional injury. Your dementia is approaching "Fatal Attraction" level. You may want to seek help before the rest of us have to read yet another story about a fan at the Cell running out on the field, this time some nutcase attacking Joe Crede. :rolleyes:

beckett21
07-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Zero. But I'm sick of reading, "It's Oakland. Oh well! Forget it and move on (to the next team)." Forget that. This is the best team in MLB right now and they STILL can't beat Oakland in Oakland. A team close to 30 games over .500 playing a team a few games under .500 should be handing the sub .500 team it's ass on a platter. Sure the Sox will lose series. And sure the Sox will lose series to teams that they should be beating..... at least record-wise..... handily. But this losing to Oakland in Oakland EVERY-FRIGGIN'-TIME is starting to become a damn joke. If things stay relatively the same, the Sox may end up playing a West Coast team in the first round. I wonder if everyone will be so quick to say, "It's the West Coast. Oh well! We never win on the West Coast. Wait till next year!"

Maybe they lost the series, but didn't the Sox win Saturday? :?:

What do you propose they do? Torch the Coliseum?

4-2 road trip...I'll take it. When teams have to play 162 games, they will lose a few. Certainly nothing to slash our collective wrists over.

Nothing else to complain about I suppose.

doublem23
07-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Nothing else to complain about I suppose.

Obviously you don't know this group well enough, beckett. :rolleyes:

shoota
07-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Your dementia is approaching "Fatal Attraction" level. You may want to seek help before the rest of us have to read yet another story about a fan at the Cell running out on the field, this time some nutcase attacking Joe Crede. :rolleyes:

Naw, you don't have to worry about that. I'm not a lawbreaker, but I would like a chance at beating Crede in a footrace. Maybe you can talk to Brooks for me and arrange a challenge for the next "Kids run the bases" day. :cool:

Whatever the Sox outcome that day, I guarantee victory in any sprint against Joe Crede. We could make a bet on it. If I won, KW would have to trade for Randa; if Crede won, I'd build a statue of him on the outfield concourse.

TheOldRoman
07-04-2005, 03:21 AM
What do you propose they do? Torch the Coliseum?

Uhh, well,yeah. I was thinking take a wreckingball to it, but that would work too.

chitownhawkfan
07-04-2005, 05:25 AM
I havent read any of the postgame messages, but if DJ continues to use this curse garbage, "I'm a kill him".

:andy
Dont start making up curses, we just made throwing errors

Cowhead418
07-04-2005, 10:36 AM
I honestly think that if Buehrle turns that double play we win. I don't want to be that guy that goes "What if..." but he was so rattled after that error. They kept showing his face in the dugout the next half inning and he had his head down and you could tell he was out of it. I'll take the 4-2 roadtrip.