PDA

View Full Version : Gargantuan Mega-Rumor Thread: Jason Schmidt to Sox?

Pages : [1] 2 3

HawkISox
06-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Would you give up McCarthy, Anderson, and a reliever to get him? Is he worth it?

He would make the Sox rotation awful tough.

MeanFish
06-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Jason Schmidt is worthy of a mention when it comes to the title of "best pitcher in MLB." Unfortunately, he's injury prone on Cub-like levels.

I'd consider giving up McCarthy and Anderson in a slam-dunk deal where we get a young, proven pitcher like a Santana or a Willis. But an injury prone pitcher who's probably seen their better days? Well, we're seeing how that philosophy has worked for the Yankees right now...and it's no good.

Frater Perdurabo
06-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Would you give up McCarthy, Anderson, and a reliever to get him? Is he worth it?

He would make the Sox rotation awful tough.

I really don't know enough about him. I don't pay much attention to the inferior National League, much less the NL West. However, just by looking at his stats, he seems like monster, although he's spent some time on the DL this year.

If KW felt that Schmidt would be the final piece for a World Series run, then I'd say go for it.

SSN721
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Seems like too much to give up for someone so injury prone, if they could swing a deal with Sweeney or Anderson and some other lesser players to get him I would bite. But then again I dont know Schmidt's contract status. ANyone know what he is getting paid this year and how many years he has left on his current deal?

rookieroy
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
It looks to me that Jason Schmidt is pitching hurt. His velocity is down and way too inconsistant as of late. Plus, I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL mid-year. I think Schmidt is way too much of a risk at this point to give up prospects like those.

FarWestChicago
06-20-2005, 10:38 AM
It looks to me that Jason Schmidt is pitching hurt. His velocity is down and way too inconsistant as of late. Plus, I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL mid-year. I think Schmidt is way too much of a risk at this point to give up prospects like those.Speaking of Schmidt's velocity being down, I know Gain'ts fans who have suggested he was a 'roider. Just something to think about. :redneck

06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I had him on my fantasy team the past 2 years and he has been dominant...is he really injury prone or his this his first year battling with it....I'd love to have him, bit we don't need a #1....if Duque is still hurting we should get a solid #3 guy to hold us over...if you make the palyoffs you don't use a 5 man rotation anyways

gf2020
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
We would probably have to pay for his buyout next year, so I want no part of him because he would hurt us retaining Frank or Paulie. Plus, it's not like he guarantees us a Wolrd Series. If we make a move for a starting pitcher, he better be an unquestionable ace.

The only starting pitcher i would give up prospects for is Roger Clemens. Other than that, I am not buying what the sellers are selling.

santo=dorf
06-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Speaking of Schmidt's velocity being down, I know Gain'ts fans who have suggested he was a 'roider. Just something to think about. :redneck

Would that explain his massive head? :D:

ShoelessJoeS
06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Would that explain his massive head? :D:
otherwise known as barry bonds syndrome :cool:

doublem23
06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't shed a tear if KW dumped McCarthy and/or Anderson for a monster bat or top of the rotation starter, but Jason Schmidt is about as sturdy as a toothpick. Not worth a premier quality prospect.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Jason Schmidt is far too ouchy for me.Sorry.

JermaineDye05
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
There are talks that the giants may want to get rid of Jason Schmidt and his big contract, I realize he has had his struggles this year but would anyone else like to see Kenny Williams try and get Schmidt I realize we have a full pitching staff and we got Brandon in the minors but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having schmidt in the sox staff

JB98
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
There are talks that the giants may want to get rid of Jason Schmidt and his big contract, I realize he has had his struggles this year but would anyone else like to see Kenny Williams try and get Schmidt I realize we have a full pitching staff and we got Brandon in the minors but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having schmidt in the sox staff

Pass. Schmidt is struggling because of health problems. That's a deal-breaker for me.

DaleJRFan
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52478

ilsox7
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Search function people, search function.

SoxWillWin
06-21-2005, 03:47 PM
If that scenario would happen I wouldn't protest, but at this point he'd probably be more of a liability. Not just that he's been slumping, but because there has been very little to PROVE that we need him. Yes El Duque is on the DL, but it's not like we've gone on a 8 game losing streak since. I say sit back and see how BMac does until Hernandez gets back and then make a decision. Aside from all that we really don't know how it will affect the chemistry in the clubhouse by reuniting Schmidt and AJ.

SOXPHILE
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Absolutely not. He is a DL waiting to happen. If a crappy Giants team is trying to get rid of him, that should tell us something.

mdep524
06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
The only starting pitcher i would give up prospects for is Roger Clemens. Other than that, I am not buying what the sellers are selling. Add Roy Oswalt to that list (if he is available), and I agree with you.

SOXintheBURGH
06-23-2005, 11:52 PM
I want to win the World Series this year. What would you honestly be willing to give up to acquire Jason Schmidt?

Borchard and Harris?:dtroll:

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Trade watch

White Sox special assistant Dave Yoakum was among several scouts who watched San Francisco's Jason Schmidt beat Arizona on Tuesday.

Schmidt, who has a history of arm problems, had his fastball clocked consistently at 93 m.p.h. He struck out six in six innings.

The Sox and Giants have a history of making deadline deals, dating back to the 1997 White Flag trade.

San Francisco has a $10.5 million option/$3.5 million buyout on Schmidt for 2006.

The Giants also demoted starter Brett Tomko to the bullpen on Tuesday, but it's highly doubtful the Sox would be interested in Tomko because he and Pierzynski didn't get along in San Francisco last year.

The Giants are believed to be seeking pitchers who aren't arbitration eligible.

An Arizona scout has attended the last two Sox-Tigers games. The Diamondbacks desperately need relief help.I see that Tomko was demoted to the Bullpen. It's all Pierzynski's fault.

Tragg
06-30-2005, 12:41 AM
A rent a pitcher (or exercise an option for a ridiculously high amount of money) with arm problems; shouldn't have to give up much.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
A rent a pitcher (or exercise an option for a ridiculously high amount of money) with arm problems; shouldn't have to give up much.

He'll probly be the best pitcher on the market. They'll get a boatload.

spiffie
06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Got a link for that Schmidt story? There's been a few goobers with fake rumors today, so I am a touch skeptical without seeing it for myself.

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Got a link for that Schmidt story? There's been a few goobers with fake rumors today, so I am a touch skeptical without seeing it for myself.Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050629soxbits,1,917818.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

TDog
06-30-2005, 12:48 AM
The Giants apparently have said they aren't interested in trading Schmidt -- which means they certainly aren't going to let him go cheaply -- because they are built to compete in 2006 as well as 2005, where they have not had Bonds.

From the other Bay Area team, Zito isn't going anywhere either. The A's are just beginning their Wild Card run.

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 12:52 AM
The Giants apparently have said they aren't interested in trading Schmidt -- which means they certainly aren't going to let him go cheaply -- because they are built to compete in 2006 as well as 2005, where they have not had Bonds.

From the other Bay Area team, Zito isn't going anywhere either. The A's are just beginning their Wild Card run.Giants Get:
Luis Vizcaino
Sean Tracey
Ryan Sweeney
Gio Gonzalez

White Sox Get:
Jason Schmidt

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Giants Get:
Luis Vizcaino
Baj or Jenks
Ryan Sweeney
Tyler Lumsden

White Sox Get:
Jason Schmidt

The Giants are an old team trying to win now. I don't see them giving up Schmidt without major league ready talent in return.

beckett21
06-30-2005, 12:57 AM
The Giants are an old team trying to win now. I don't see them giving up Schmidt without major league ready talent in return.

I'd say Atlanta has the inside track. Word is Sabean has his eye on Julio Franco. :redneck

samram
06-30-2005, 12:59 AM

The Sox have El Duque and Contreras. Sabean can choose his own middle-aged Cuban! What a great deal!

TDog
06-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Giants Get:
Luis Vizcaino
Baj or Jenks
Ryan Sweeney
Tyler Lumsden

White Sox Get:
Jason Schmidt

This is why these threads trade threads are a waste of time. This doesn't take into consideration that the Giants need pitching, and, with the money they are planning to pay Bonds next year, they will be wanting to contend immediately.

And if the Giants have given up on this year, in a (perhaps redundantly) weak NL divsion, they haven't admitted it.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 01:11 AM
This is why these threads trade threads are a waste of time. This doesn't take into consideration that the Giants need pitching, and, with the money they are planning to pay Bonds next year, they will be wanting to contend immediately.

And if the Giants have given up on this year, in a (perhaps redundantly) weak NL divsion, they haven't admitted it.

Nail, meet hammer. You hit it on the head.

gr8mexico
06-30-2005, 02:28 AM
The Sox have a couple of players they can send to the Giants.The Sox can obtain Jason but it will depend on how much money Jerry wants to spend.If the Sox decide to pick up all the money remaining on Jason contract the Giants wouldn't get that much.But if the Sox want the Giants to pick up most of the contract the Sox will have to pay big time.The Sox should pay the rest of the remaining contract.Send them Willie Harris,Viscaino,Sweeney and we get Jason and a minor league prospect.Ray Durham will be a FA next year & they need bullpen help.The only pitchers the Sox should really consider should be Jason,Roy Oswalt,A.J burnett. :dtroll:

PBRWarrior
06-30-2005, 01:13 PM
If any trade was to go down for a top tier starter I think KW would have to unload Contraras or El Duque.

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Does anyone want to me to put Schmidt in a Sox Uni for my Sig.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Does anyone want to me to put Schmidt in a Sox Uni for my Sig.

No. Other team's players photoshopped into a Sox uniform are stupid.

White Sox Randy
07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Ok fellow Sox fans, what do you feel would be too much to give up for these 2 studs to take us into the World Series ?

I'm thinking Crede, Sweeney and maybe Sean Tracy for Chavez ?

I'm thinking McCarthy, Josh Fields and Borchard for Schmidt ?

I'd be willing to trade these prospects, maybe more, for these 2 players. What do you think ?

I think these 2 would give the Sox all they need and make them WS favorites!

tschneid83
07-01-2005, 12:52 PM
boooooooooo...........:tsk:

Rocky Soprano
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
NO, NOT THIS AGAIN!

My friend, the search function, is your friend!

fquaye149
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
dude...i was just wondering what the score was

CHIsoxNation
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
If it were only that easy. I thought the Giants were looking for a #2 AND #3 starter to replace Schmidt. McCarthy doesn't fall into that category, not yet at least. I really don't think anyone wants Borchard either.

Steakpita
No. No, I wouldn't.

White Sox Josh
dude, what's the score? And to anwser your question NO!

Rocky Soprano
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
dude, what's the score? And to anwser your question NO!

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Brian26
07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
It's like everyday someone with less than 75 posts swings by to ask the same questions.

fquaye149
07-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Pot. Kettle. Black.

jeff tweedy is that you?

MIgrenade
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
When will people finally accept that Chavez is not being moved. KW already said he tried and it wasn't going to happen...Christ.

mdep524
07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
jeff tweedy is that you? :hawk
I luuuuv Wilco references.

:D:

The Racehorse
07-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Only empty the farm if we can get Roy Oswalt.

balke
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
A's have won 11 of the past 12 games I believe. Chavez ain't goin nowhere.

I would give up Mccarthy and a good prospect (Not Anderson) for Schmidt now possibly. Schmidt can bring in attendance and produce for us now while we are good, and can win games for pitchers with low ERA's. Anderson strikes out a lot, but I think he's a future leader for the Sox in the lineup. The players are getting older and more experienced, it'd be nice to hang on to a young hitter like that. Schmidt could probably be re-dealt down the line if he won a championship for us for a good pitching prospect.

long story short, yes and no. I think a great prospect is worth schmidt this season, but not 2 great prospects. Not Gio and Mccarthy or anything.

Rocky Soprano
07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
jeff tweedy is that you?

Who is Jeff Tweedy?

Fake Chet Lemon
07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
:threadblows:

"Oh no, this just can't keep happening" - Ron Santo

ondafarm
07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
No way!!! I don't bet the farm.

fquaye149
07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Who is Jeff Tweedy?

haha, singer for wilco. he wrote a song on yhf called pot kettle black.

RallyBowl
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
:threadsucks You sir, should read some posts before making "your own". Not as easy as it looks, is it?

munchman33
07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
For those saying "No,No,No" you really must be anti-trade in general. If that's all the asking price for either of those guys, Kenny better jump on it.

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2005, 02:47 PM
:hawk
"No".

:thankgod

JermaineDye05
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I would never trade sweeney, he's one of our best prospects and he's only 20, definately not, same with Josh Fields, he's our future at 3rd, hopefully a little better offensively then crede

TheOldRoman
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Obviously, it would likely take a lot more to get those guys than was mentioned in the first post.

Team chemistry is very important, but I dont think adding one or two players will change it. KW will add one or two more players, that is pretty much a given. Whether they are absolute studs or role players, who knows. In my mind, KW is just as likely to get Schmidt as he is to get Julio Lugo to replace Willie and Timo when Gload comes back. Chavez wont be available, so that is the end of discussion. Schmidt might be, but I dont think the Giants are ready to give up on the season seeing as Barroids is coming back and they are in a bad division.

As for giving up our top prospects for top flight players... absolutely. We could go on a run of 5 straight division titles like Cleveland, but knowing White Sox history, next year doesn't always turn out as it should. Look at 1960, 1984, and 2001. You never know what is going to happen in baseball. Cleveland and Detroit have lots of young talent, and although we do too, we might not have another season like this, with everybody healthy. KW will go for it now if he finds anything reasonable. I would love to get Oswalt, and I think KW would throw our top 3 prospects to Houston if he was available. However, he wont be. If an ace becomes available for a reasonable price (prospects), he will be ours. I am confident in KW.

Flight #24
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Per Peter Gammons on Schmidt: " he told one of our announcers that his elbow is still killing him".

If that's true, no chance.

hold2dibber
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Obviously, it would likely take a lot more to get those guys than was mentioned in the first post.

Team chemistry is very important, but I dont think adding one or two players will change it. KW will add one or two more players, that is pretty much a given. Whether they are absolute studs or role players, who knows. In my mind, KW is just as likely to get Schmidt as he is to get Julio Lugo to replace Willie and Timo when Gload comes back. Chavez wont be available, so that is the end of discussion. Schmidt might be, but I dont think the Giants are ready to give up on the season seeing as Barroids is coming back and they are in a bad division.

As for giving up our top prospects for top flight players... absolutely. We could go on a run of 5 straight division titles like Cleveland, but knowing White Sox history, next year doesn't always turn out as it should. Look at 1960, 1984, and 2001. You never know what is going to happen in baseball. Cleveland and Detroit have lots of young talent, and although we do too, we might not have another season like this, with everybody healthy. KW will go for it now if he finds anything reasonable. I would love to get Oswalt, and I think KW would throw our top 3 prospects to Houston if he was available. However, he wont be. If an ace becomes available for a reasonable price (prospects), he will be ours. I am confident in KW.

Amen. (And don't forget '95, either - yuck.)

ShoelessJoeS
07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Only empty the farm if we can get Roy Oswalt.
im with you on this one. that would be the best rotation of all time!

TheOldRoman
07-01-2005, 05:03 PM
im with you on this one. that would be the best rotation of all time!
Great... yes. I'm not sure if I would call it the best ever. I still hope the Sox can bring Cy Young out of retirement... and death.

Chek2002
07-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Sporting News radio is reporting that the Sox are about to get Jason Schmidt. Has anybody heard anything about this?

jake27
07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
no i havent, ill look around the net tho see if i can find anything to back it up

i have found nothing

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Sporting News radio is reporting that the Sox are about to get Jason Schmidt. Has anybody heard anything about this?

:dtroll:

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
There's tons of rumors in the 'What's the Score' forum. Did they actually say it was real close or was it like a prediction? Any details?

Over By There
07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Dude, what's the score?

soxfanreggie
07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
San Fran isn't that far of a drive from Oakland. Maybe Kenny left and went to pick him up :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
If anyone's seen KW second hand at the airport, we're in business.

But seriously, I could use this today if it were true. I would forget all about this game.

Young Gun
07-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I am listening to the SportingNews and they are saying it is very close.

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Hmm, lets see if this is for real, http://radio.sportingnews.com/ They have a 'listen live' link on the left toolbar, commercial on right now

Young Gun
07-03-2005, 06:07 PM
That is where I heard it and also several sources in San Francisco are reporting it.

Falstaff
07-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I am glad yet hoping we dont give up too much.
Like how about Vizcaino + Shingo + Timo

Young Gun
07-03-2005, 06:10 PM

I heard it would be Brandon McCarthy and a player that has yet to be announced.

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 06:10 PM
several sources?

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 06:11 PM
They've got a nice baseball show that goes around the league, similar to how the Score or NFL Network has their football shows during the games on Sundays. So far, no mention yet, they're still going around the league looking at updates from each game, will keep you posted...

Young Gun
07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Dang, they went to golf.:angry:

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-giants&msg=56903.1&ctx=0

It's on the Giants message board too. Elaborate hoax or truth?

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 06:13 PM
grr, who cares about golf, anyways, were they reporting this during the show or during their little updates?

Also, you said several sources, are any online (links)?

Nothing personal, but there's a lot of people who get a rush about making up rumors so it's always annoying when I get all excited and fall for something.

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Youre kidding right? I wont even start on that offer, too easy...

I was listening to sporting news and they said nothing about it....

ChiWhiteSox1337
:roflmao:
I'm sure Brian Sabean is dying to get that deal done.

Young Gun
grr, who cares about golf, anyways, were they reporting this during the show or during their little updates?

Also, you said several sources, are any online (links)?

Well, no, as I heard this from a friend who lives in the San Francisco area. There is a thread about it on the Giants.com message board.

Over By There
07-03-2005, 06:16 PM
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-giants&msg=56903.1&ctx=0

It's on the Giants message board too. Elaborate hoax or truth?

Yeah, but they're writing it off too. Just like here, sounds like the rumor has been beaten to death. The worrisome thing is that some Gigantes fans don't sound too concerned about losing him.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
The worrisome thing is that some Gigantes fans don't sound too concerned about losing him. Yeah, that's concerning...

and Schmidt pitched today, with pretty bad results:
4 IP, 6 R, 5 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K

:(:

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:19 PM
As they leave for commercial, it says latest news up in one minute on Sporting News flash. Maybe they'll get back to it.

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Sporting News Sports update in a minute, so we will see.

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, that's concerning...

Ya that worries me too...

But, if we do get him, we gotta hope it was one of those "change of scenery" situations, and maybe Coop can help him out....

Maybe being on the best team in baseball + gunning for a pennant = Schmidt pre 2005

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, but they're writing it off too. Just like here, sounds like the rumor has been beaten to death. The worrisome thing is that some Gigantes fans don't sound too concerned about losing him.

At their MLB site, several of them are saying Sabean wouldn't be that stupid to trade Schmidt.

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Yup, the update guy says "we're very close"

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:21 PM
He said it. "Chet Coppock learns that the Sox are very close to acquiring Schmidt from the Giants."

We shall see. Come own baby.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, at one point we actually had Ersad for Jon Garland, and that didn't quite go through.

Over By There
07-03-2005, 06:23 PM
At their MLB site, several of them are saying Sabean wouldn't be that stupid to trade Schmidt.

That's why I said some - it seems split. It is scary to me that at least some people are willing to give up their ace...

Rocklive99
This would be nice after this game, maybe KW is waiting for the game to become final so they can announce it in the post game? ;) Everyone look out for pans of the dugout to see if any players are hugging/shaking hands and saying their goodbyes lol

ChiWhiteSox1337
Yeah, that's concerning...

The Padres have had great success against Schmidt throughout his career. Schmidt's career ERA vs the Padres is 4.46, and that doesn't include today's performance.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:24 PM
He said it. "Chet Coppock learns that the Sox are very close to acquiring Schmidt from the Giants."

We shall see. Come own baby. Uh oh.... this could end up being a gigantic, drawn out thread like the time details about Lee for Podsednik leaked out.

The Racehorse

We shall see. Come own baby.

Doing a quick scan on Schmidt's career totals, I like his SO's versus BB's... I think I've heard he's banged up a little[?], but just looking at those two stats tells me he challenges hitters while limiting those [evil] walks. :cool:

BeviBall!
I'm hearing this too! Oh sweet lord make it happen Kenny!!!

SABRSox
07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
If this happens, it's a risky move. If Schmidt can get his velocity back up, he's in for a monster 2nd half and is a steal. But I'm not sure I'd want to give up McCarthy for him. He's in a walk year, right? If so he should be commanding lesser prospects.

shoota
07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
What are the needs of the Giants organization? I'd assume they'd look for pitching in return, but what would they want from the White Sox farm system?

Do they need a third baseman?

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I am listening to the SportingNews and they are saying it is very close.dude what's up, Welcome!

SABRSox
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
What are the needs of the Giants organization? I'd assume they'd look for pitching in return, but what would they want from the White Sox farm system?

Do they need a third baseman?

I thought I heard they wanted two major league ready pitchers. But they won't get that. They need a little of everything over there, but starting pitching is their most pressing need.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Let's see if Comcast mentions this at all.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:28 PM
The Padres have had great success against Schmidt throughout his career. Schmidt's career ERA vs the Padres is 4.46, and that doesn't include today's performance. To back that up, Schmidt was 2-3 with a 7.18 ERA vs. SD last year, as opposed to 18-7 with a 3.20 ERA overall.

Rocklive99
One of the Cubans would be the odd man out, maybe they would be included in the deal

ilsox7
I thought I heard they wanted two major league ready pitchers. But they won't get that. They need a little of everything over there, but starting pitching is their most pressing need.

If they consider BM MLB ready, it could be a JC and BM trade. Though they are not getting any salary relief if that's the case. Anyways, dude, what's the score?

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:29 PM
If they consider BM MLB ready, it could be a JC and BM trade. Though they are not getting any salary relief if that's the case. Anyways, dude, what's the score?I really don't want BMac gone. I really think he will be a good pitcher.

Rocklive99
Anyone listening to local sports radio, any info from them?

Optipessimism
I don't know about Schmidt. After looking over his starts from this year, I'm not so sure I'd want to let McCarthy go for this guy. Something about this just screams Billy Koch to me.

Now, if we could get him for just about any other minor leaguer/bench player, or even a good bullpen arm assuming we can follow this up with anohter trade for a quality reliever, I'd be all for it. But, please not McCarthy. Please don't let it be him.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Is he a free agent at the end of the year?

TheOldRoman
07-03-2005, 06:30 PM

I hope this works out. Schmidt is one of the best in the game when healthy. He would give us 4 of the top pitchers in baseball. However, its a huge risk. McCarthy will be a superstar someday, we would be giving up a lot. Oh well, in Kenny Williams I trust.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 06:31 PM
They're talking to Torii Hunter about... getting hit in the junk while fielding ground balls. :?: :rolleyes:

mdep524
One of the Cubans would be the odd man out, maybe they would be included in the deal Jose Contreras has a no-trade clause, which could be an issue. But for some reason I could see Brian Sabean, the same guy who just gave up two good prospects for LaChoke "F** the fans and media" Hawkins, being interested in Contreras. And after his last start Ozzie and KW might be just frustrated enough with him to move on.

White Sox Josh

I hope this works out. Schmidt is one of the best in the game when healthy. He would give us 4 of the top pitchers in baseball. However, its a huge risk. McCarthy will be a superstar someday, we would be giving up a lot. Oh well, in Kenny Williams I trust.I would rather put one of the Cubans in the deal than McCarthy. I agree completely about McCarthy.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Is he a free agent at the end of the year? I believe he has a team option for '06 for like 10-12M, but I'm not sure.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:33 PM
If they consider BM MLB ready, it could be a JC and BM trade. Though they are not getting any salary relief if that's the case. Anyways, dude, what's the score?

I'd pull the trigger. And I think they would too if they want MLB pitching. Jose is intriguing as a change-of-scenery guy, so is Schmidt. We still have 5th starter problems, but I think we'd be pretty set 1-4...

munchman33
I believe he has a team option for '06 for like 10-12M, but I'm not sure.

$10 million team option with a buyout that I believe is for $2.5 million.

ilsox7

I think it's for 10.5. Should be interesting. Remember, in order to get something, you have to give up something. He wouldn't come cheaply.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Well then if there is any truth to the rumor that changes what caliber player(s) would be given up.

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
2005 Salary: $8,187,500

and found this on another site

Jason Schmidt: 4-Year deal worth 30M- + he will make $4,937,500 in 2002, $5,937,500 in 2003, $7,937,500 in 2004 and $8,187,500 in 2005- + the deal includes a Team option for 2006 worth 10M or a 3M buyout- + he can earn 1M in bonuses over whole contract- + received 50K for each All-Star selection Agents: Randy and Alan Hendricks Service Time: 9.063

BeviBall!
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
If you have a chance on getting a gamer like Schmidt for a reasonable price, you pull the trigger. This is a no-brainer. This Sox team is as good as we're gonna see for years to come, so if it costs us a "potential stud" pitcher to get a bona fide stud pitcher, you do it!

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I think this rumor is BS to be honest.

munchman33
If you have a chance on getting a gamer like Schmidt for a reasonable price, you pull the trigger. This is a no-brainer. This Sox team is as good as we're gonna see for years to come, so if it costs us a "potential stud" pitcher to get a bona fide stud pitcher, you do it!

I am in complete agreement.

batmanZoSo

I hope this works out. Schmidt is one of the best in the game when healthy. He would give us 4 of the top pitchers in baseball. However, its a huge risk. McCarthy will be a superstar someday, we would be giving up a lot. Oh well, in Kenny Williams I trust.

If McCarthy even becomes a quality, serviceable major leaguer, that'll be a few years from now. Who knows if we'll have a shot when that happens?

Huisj
I'd pull the trigger. And I think they would too if they want MLB pitching. Jose is intriguing as a change-of-scenery guy, so is Schmidt. We still have 5th starter problems, but I think we'd be pretty set 1-4...

Well, Jose was an intriguing change-of-scenery guy last year too, and the results haven't changed a ton with the change of scenery. Still shows tremendous talent, is lights out sometimes, and blows up and is terribly inconsistent other times.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I think this rumor is BS to be honest.

Well, it is being reported. I'd trust Chet. He's a Chicago guy and isn't wrong a whole lot.

Soxzilla
Could Schmidt be a case for a juicer? I mean, his numbers the past few years are incredible, and now he has an ERA over 5.

Add in the fact he is in that bay area....:rolleyes:

Just a thought tho...

TheOldRoman
If McCarthy even becomes a quality, serviceable major leaguer, that'll be a few years from now. Who knows if we'll have a shot when that happens?
I agree. I just hope Kenny knows what he is doing.

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Could Schmidt be a case for a juicer? I mean, his numbers the past few years are incredible, and now he has an ERA over 5.

Just a thought tho...no he has a case of Felipe Alou overworking him.

mdep524
Well then if there is any truth to the rumor that changes what caliber player(s) would be given up. You have to believe a top prospect- McCarthy, Anderson or Sweeney- would be involved. But Contreras would be intriguing for the Giants. He is signed through '06 also and is as solid of an established major league pitcher as you could get in a deal like this.

batmanZoSo
Well, Jose was an intriguing change-of-scenery guy last year too, and the results haven't changed a ton with the change of scenery. Still shows tremendous talent, is lights out sometimes, and blows up and is terribly inconsistent other times.

The difference is Schmidt has been one of the best in the game for a few years now. Contreras ain't done f---.

munchman33

Just a thought tho...

No, he's coming off injury. His velocity is down, but not by that much. His real problem is that he isn't throwing his breaking pitch nearly enough. Coop will get him straightened out.

Rocklive99

Agreed, this a special year, and you'll be facing top level talent if you want to win it all, go all in! I am so sick of potential, there are so many "prospects" that fail. Go for it this year, win it all, have attendance go up, and then be able to pay for your money players and not worry about the prospects

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM

It's only a no-brainer if you are trading a potential ace for a proven ace that is pitching well. Schmidt hasn't been doing that. I too would like to win this year and would be willing to part with a piece of the future to do so, but Schmidt isn't looking that much of an improvement over even McCarthy so far.

So, this could be a deal where we give up the present and the future for a work in prgress. I don't know if I like that.

mdep524
Well, Jose was an intriguing change-of-scenery guy last year too, and the results haven't changed a ton with the change of scenery. Still shows tremendous talent, is lights out sometimes, and blows up and is terribly inconsistent other times. But Brian Sabean likes old, change-of-scenery, or reclamation projects!

BeviBall!

Just a thought tho...

The Giants clubhouse is a joke and losing breeds losing. If JS cam here, I bet he'd win at least 10 games the rest of the way.

Huisj
07-03-2005, 06:41 PM
The difference is Schmidt has been one of the best in the game for a few years now. Contreras ain't done f---.

He has been one of the best in the game, but without his exra velocity to blow guys away with, he look like he is now just average.

Chisox003
Agreed, this a special year, and you'll be facing top level talent if you want to win it all, go all in! I am so sick of potential, there are so many "prospects" that fail. Go for it this year, win it all, have attendance go up, and then be able to pay for your money players and not worry about the prospects

Exactly...

And it really isnt "going all in" IF we can somehow resign Schmidt for next season...I mean, Buehrle, Schmidt, Garcia, Garland, Contreras going into a season isnt exactly a coin flip...It WOULD be the best rotation in baseball

This doesnt have to be 1 and done this year, these guys are signed for the next couple of years...Ink Schmidt and thats a pretty dominating rotation for a good while

And, I dont think KW would make the move if he didnt think we could resign Schmidt....See: Freddy Garcia.....

BeviBall!
It's only a no-brainer if you are trading a potential ace for a proven ace that is pitching well. Schmidt hasn't been doing that. I too would like to win this year and would be willing to part with a piece of the future to do so, but Schmidt isn't looking that much of an improvement over even McCarthy so far.

So, this could be a deal where we give up the present and the future for a work in prgress. I don't know if I like that.

The guy can throw upwards of 99 and has pitched in humongous games that none of our pitchers, save El Duque have. Sure it's a risk... but the upside could be a pennant.

Spicoli
Maybe reuniting Schmidt with A.J. will help him out too? I never heard Schmidt mentioned in the anti-A.J. Giants clubhouse drama. Maybe A.J. knows how to call his type of game and will assist him to come around to his old self? If the deal is actual, of course...

batmanZoSo
SN just said the A's lead us 7-2 in the 8th. So they're well behind, maybe it's the web feed. But no news now.

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Years from now? From what I've seen, he's missing his spots a little when he's off and that is resulting in extra distance on balls off a flyball/K pitcher. I don't think it's going to take him 'years from now' to reach his potential. He's done nothing but impress me so far, even when he's on the other end of a bashing.

White Sox Josh
The guy can throw upwards of 99 and has pitched in humongous games that none of our pitchers, save El Duque have. Sure it's a risk... but the upside could be a pennant.I really don't want to give up BMac. Please don't do this KW!

munchman33
Exactly...

IF we can somehow resign Schmidt for next season

We would hold an option on him for next year. No need to resign.

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 06:43 PM
I really don't want to give up BMac. Please don't do this KW!

So who are we going to trade for an Ace? Shingo?

Give me a break...I think youre in the minority here :rolleyes:

SABRSox
07-03-2005, 06:43 PM
We would hold an option on him for next year. No need to resign.

Yeah but that option would probably negate a re-signing of Frank.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I really don't want to give up BMac. Please don't do this KW!

I think you're in the minority. The rest of us want to win.

The Racehorse
A.J. caught Schmidt last year... and Schmidt was also teammates with Hermanson... if this deal goes down, I'd like the make up of the staff with A.J. calling a fast game behind the dish.

munchman33
Yeah but that option would probably negate a re-signing of Frank.

Not really. More than likely it would mean Paulie is gone for sure.

Mr. White Sox

Why not give one of the top prospect OFs in the system like Sweeney, Young, or Owens? Pods and Dye have been successful, and Anderson will be coming up soon; Rowand's around for a while...don't we have a surplus of OF in the system?

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I think you're in the minority. The rest of us want to win.I do to. I would rather trade someone else instead of McCarthy. Who else is involved in this deal?

BeviBall!
Let's see what they say on the ESPN selection show. Until then, I'm going to start breathing.

Who would start tomorrow if this goes down and B Mac is involved? Cotts?

The Dude
I think you're in the minority. The rest of us want to win.

Exactly, Josh...youre the one who always wants a trade. This seems to be mroe than an internet rumor.

Chisox003
Why not give one of the top prospect OFs in the system like Sweeney, Young, or Owens? Pods and Dye have been successful, and Anderson will be coming up soon; Rowand's around for a while...don't we have a surplus of OF in the system?

Na, never will happen

Giants are built to win this year and next year...None of those guys will be ready like Mccarthy has the potential to be

Sure, Brandon is a lot to give up, but cmon....This could be THE deal that makes the sox THE team to beat....1-4 would be unstoppable

White Sox Josh
Why not give one of the top prospect OFs in the system like Sweeney, Young, or Owens? Pods and Dye have been successful, and Anderson will be coming up soon; Rowand's around for a while...don't we have a surplus of OF in the system?I would rather do that. That would be perfect if that happened for me.

Soxzilla
The Giants clubhouse is a joke and losing breeds losing. If JS cam here, I bet he'd win at least 10 games the rest of the way.

Teal is for sarcasm.

It was a legitimate question, as I've only seen Schmidt pitch one game. Thanks for the information munch, I didn't know he had an injury this year.

Is he mainly a ground ball pitcher or a flyball pitcher?

EDIT - My bad Bevi, I misread your quote. At first I thought you meant the TEAM would win 10 games the rest of the way, which drastically changes the implications of your post.:tongue: My bad.

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Give me a break...I think youre in the minority here :rolleyes:I was thinking more like Vizcaino, Greg Norton, and Timo Perez for Schmidt and maybe Omar Vizquel.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I do to. I would rather trade someone else instead of McCarthy. Who else is involved in this deal?

I have no idea, but I'd expect Bmac has to be a part of it. If I were San Francisco, I'd expect a stud pitching prospect that could start now for a guy like Schmidt. We don't have anyone else that fits the bill.

BeviBall!
07-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Teal is for sarcasm.

It was a legitimate question, as I've only seen Schmidt pitch one game. Thanks for the information munch, I didn't know he had an injury this year.

No teal needed. Have you heard Moises' comments lately?

munchman33
Teal is for sarcasm.

He's a strikeout/power pitcher.

White Sox Josh
Exactly, Josh...youre the one who always wants a trade. This seems to be mroe than an internet rumor.Is there anyone else besides BMac who the Giants would want?

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Not really. More than likely it would mean Paulie is gone for sure.

You guys don't know this. What if we go to the World Series? What if we win it? Attendance will be the best in 10 years at this park. Circumstances change. JR has shown that he'll up the ante when this team wins. After 2000, he nearly doubled the payroll.

Frater Perdurabo
:tomatoaward:

Optipessimism

I would hope KW would try to offer Cotts and maybe a guy like Gio or something in addition to someone like Contreras. I don't know if that would be good enough, but Cotts is a guy who has improved a lot since his debut and if stretched out could become a nice starter.

That said, I don't think deal happens without McCarthy. I just hope if it goes through Schmidt can return to form THIS season. I don't think it's a question if he will definitely bolster our rotation next year.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
You guys don't know this. What if we go to the World Series? What if we win it? Attendance will be the best in 10 years at this park. Circumstances change. JR has shown that he'll up the ante when this team wins. After 2000, he nearly doubled the payroll.

I like the way you think! :smile:

:reinsy
"I don't"

Chisox003
Is there anyone else besides BMac who the Giants would want?

NO!

Josh, look at their team! They are OLD! They want to win NOW! If they trade schmidt (And his contract) they NEED a major league ready pitcher, and B Mac is the closest thing we have to that

If Schmidt comes to Chicago, Mccarthy will be headed to SF....Theres no possible way the Giants would trade Schmidt for mid level prospects....Simple

Soxzilla
No teal needed. Have you heard Moises' comments lately?

Yea I edited the original post, I misread it the first time.:redface:

munchman33
Here's a scouting report from ESPN on Schmidt:

Many players call Schmidt the most feared starter in the National League. He not only throws hard and has a nasty slider, but he has developed a changeup that is among the best in the game. Rather than nibbling at the corners as he did earlier in his career in Pittsburgh, Schmidt comes at hitters with a fastball clocked as high as 98 MPH. Schmidt had a 12-game winning streak from April 26 to July 17 in which he established himself as the top starter in baseball. He threw two one-hitters during the streak, each against high-powered offenses (Cubs, Red Sox)

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I would hope KW would try to offer Cotts and maybe a guy like Gio or something in addition to someone like Contreras. I don't know if that would be good enough, but Cotts is a guy who has improved a lot since his debut and if stretched out could become a nice starter.

That said, I don't think deal happens without McCarthy. I just hope if it goes through Schmidt can return to form THIS season. I don't think it's a question if he will definitely bolster our rotation next year.Not Cotts. What about this:
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 06:53 PM
If Schmidt has a clean bill of health, I would give up McCarthy to get him. A healthy Schmidt is probably about the ceiling of what one would hope McCarthy could become. Moreover, a rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Schmidt, Garland and Hernandez would make the Sox hands-down favorites to win it all this year.

If Schmidt isn't healthy, then this is not a good deal at all.

ilsox7
Not Cotts. What about this:
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

Um, no.

Chisox003
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

:thud: Unbelievable

BeviBall!
NO!

Josh, look at their team! They are OLD! They want to win NOW! If they trade schmidt (And his contract) they NEED a major league ready pitcher, and B Mac is the closest thing we have to that

If Schmidt comes to Chicago, Mccarthy will be headed to SF....Theres no possible way the Giants would trade Schmidt for mid level prospects....Simple

Old and expensive. Time to dump salary! Besides, that division is so bad, they can probably re-tool and contend next year with free agents. Then they'd also have a good foundation with this deal.

White Sox Josh
Nothing on the postgame show yet about this.

BeviBall!
07-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Yea I edited the original post, I misread it the first time.:redface:

No sweat. Not like Alou should make the news here anyway!

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

Josh:
Gio, Tracy, and Sweeney aren't ready for the show. And to take Contreras' salary, Sabean would probably require McCarthy anyway.

mdep524
07-03-2005, 06:56 PM
If Schmidt has a clean bill of health, I would give up McCarthy to get him. A healthy Schmidt is probably about the ceiling of what one would hope McCarthy could become. Moreover, a rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Schmidt, Garland and Hernandez would make the Sox hands-down favorites to win it all this year.

If Schmidt isn't healthy, then this is not a good deal at all. This is a little unorthodox, but I wonder if the Sox would trade for Schmidt and then put him on the DL to rest/improve his strength for a few weeks to make sure he pitches his best down the stretch and in the playoffs. With an 8.5 game lead now, we wouldn't need to push him immediately. Just a (wild) thought.

Optipessimism
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

There's no way they go for that. I highly doubt they will take anything less than McCarthy as the centerpiece of the deal, but I mentioned Cotts because it's wishful thinking. Now IF SF had something else in place that would net them a starting pitcher for an outfielder like Alou or something, then maybe it's possible they could take Anderson in the right deal. I doubt that however, because the first big move they make (assuming SF does this) is going to be for starting pitching.

White Sox Josh
NO!

If Schmidt comes to Chicago, Mccarthy will be headed to SF....Theres no possible way the Giants would trade Schmidt for mid level prospects....SimpleYou know what fine. After thinking about this a little bit we are talking about JASON SCHMIDT. One of the top pitchers in the game when he is on. He could put the Sox over the top if this happened. Look at a short series and tell me what team wants to face the Sox.

Buehrle
Schmidt
Garcia
El Duque or Garland.

Soxzilla
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

Throw in Frank Thomas and I'd bet you MIGHT have a deal!

munchman33
This is a little unorthodox, but I wonder if the Sox would trade for Schmidt and then put him on the DL to rest/improve his strength for a few weeks to make sure he pitches his best down the stretch and in the playoffs. With an 8.5 game lead now, we wouldn't need to push him immediately. Just a (wild) thought.

LOL...I seriously doubt that.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:57 PM
You know what fine. After thinking about this a little bit we are talking about JASON SCHMIDT. One of the top pitchers in the game when he is on. He could put the Sox over the top if this happened. Look at a short series and tell me what team wants to face the Sox.

Buehrle
Schmidt
Garcia
El Duque or Garland.

Now you're talkin'! :cool:

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Every year the Sox get a new stud prospect out of nowhere and who knows if he will make to show and be successful. It's a bigger risk to think McCarthy will be an all-star than for Schmidt an former all-star to be a big help for a few years.

The Dude
07-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

This isnt MVP Baseball 2005, you cant offer a bunch of mid level players for an allstar. We would have to give up BMac plain and simple and I say do it. We need to win and another stud starter might put us over the edge.

munchman33
Every year the Sox get a new stud prospect out of nowhere and who knows if he will make to show and be successful. It's a bigger risk to think McCarthy will be an all-star than for Schmidt an former all-star to be a big help for a few years.

Exactly. And honestly, I've been a little concerned with BMac's struggles in AAA and in the show.

The Racehorse
Here's a scouting report from ESPN on Schmidt:

Many players call Schmidt the most feared starter in the National League. He not only throws hard and has a nasty slider, but he has developed a changeup that is among the best in the game. Rather than nibbling at the corners as he did earlier in his career in Pittsburgh, Schmidt comes at hitters with a fastball clocked as high as 98 MPH. Schmidt had a 12-game winning streak from April 26 to July 17 in which he established himself as the top starter in baseball. He threw two one-hitters during the streak, each against high-powered offenses

Substitute nasty slider with nasty forkball, and this could be Jose Contreras' scouting report. :(:

munchman33
07-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Substitute nasty slider with nasty forkball, and this could be Jose Contreras' scouting report. :(:

Only without the years of dominance.

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Gio Gonzalez
Jose Contreras
Sean Tracy
Ryan Sweeney

for
Jason Schmidt

We have a small conflict here, the concept of the trade is that if you want something good in return, you can't just give up crap, unless you're Jim Hendry and you've either sold your soul or have 'pictures' of his your fellow GMs. I'm not sure if some of you don't have interest around the league but this is a stud, he should've been Cy Young 2 years ago and was 4th in voting last year. He's been a little off this year but he's coming off an injury, and I like our chances with Coop and AJ working with him.

I trust KW tho, Sabean got completely ripped off with the Hawkins deal and overpaid for Vizquel and has filled his team with old guys, maybe he can pull one over as he has done in the past.

GITRDONE KENNY!

SABRSox
As much as I'd love to have McCarthy around in a White Sox uniform for a long time, the fact remains that McCarthy could become a very good pitcher, but Schmidt is already a very good pitcher, and in a season like this you have to make the trade. You have to.

And then you have to have the faith in your scouting system to find another McCarthy.

mdep524
Substitute nasty slider with nasty forkball, and this could be Jose Contreras' scouting report. :(: I don't think so... Jose rarely comes at hitters with his fastball, nor does he have a change up.

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
We have Gio and Broadway for the future and not to mention Garland, Buerhle and Garcia.

The Dude
07-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Did they just mention Schmidt again...im listening to the radio online and heard his name

ilsox7
As much as I'd love to have McCarthy around in a White Sox uniform for a long time, the fact remains that McCarthy could become a very good pitcher, but Schmidt is already a very good pitcher, and in a season like this you have to make the trade. You have to.

And then you have to have the faith in your scouting system to find another McCarthy.

And with MB, JG, FG and Jason locked up for a couple of years, we wouldn't need to find another McCarthy for some time.

Optipessimism

True, we are always optimistic about some young stud here. But I honestly have to say that McCarthy is the best young stud I've seen around here in a long time.

Still, even though it would break my heart not to see him develop in the major leagues, if SF is willing to take McCarthy now, this deal gets done after the game tomorrow.

lths06
07-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Has ESPN Radio 1000 said anything about this? Usually they're the first ones with the info, when it's true.

maggsmaggs
07-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Levine line is probably at Wrigley covering them, so he might be out of the loop for the Sox.

munchman33
07-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Has ESPN Radio 1000 said anything about this? Usually they're the first ones with the info, when it's true.

I'm not listening to sporting news, but someone said Chet Coppeck was reporting it. He has a lot of connenctions, especially here in Chicago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was first to get to this.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't think so... Jose rarely comes at hitters with his fastball, nor does he have a change up.

I purposely left out change-up... the bold 'could be' was meant to convey that Jose is afraid to go after hitters...

... oh well.

SABRSox
07-03-2005, 07:05 PM
And with MB, JG, FG and Jason locked up for a couple of years, we wouldn't need to find another McCarthy for some time.

Exactly. The deal makes a lot of sense. Coppack's show is up next. Let's see what he's got to say...

Rocklive99
07-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't think so... Jose rarely comes at hitters with his fastball, nor does he have a change up.

Not to mention that JC has proven crap in the majors (I like him, but it's the truth), and that Schmidt has been dominant. Bonds is obviously a force, but without the Schmidt, the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs last year

Also another factor, playoff experience, Schmidt has been in a World Series and in his postseason career he is 3-1 with a 3.06 ERA

Jurr
07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Still, no ESPN news of this. It's probably not a real deal yet. Probably lots of talk.

fquaye149
07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
much ado about???

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Also another factor, playoff experience, Schmidt has been in a World Series and in his postseason career he is 3-1 with a 3.06 ERA

Stop trying to convince me about the benefits of acquiring Schmidt. :)

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 07:08 PM
We have Gio and Broadway for the future.

That's a good point. El Duque conceivably would be here in 2006, and then in 2007 perhaps one of those two would be ready. If not, the Sox could sign a one-year "rent-a-starter" to be the #5, hoping that one of the two above would be ready for 2008.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 07:10 PM
My cousin Tony was out in Oakland for this series. He called me and said that he saw Jason Schmidt in the airport. Apparently he was talking on his cell phone saying that he wanted to meet his new teammates before they left the area.

Soxzilla
07-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Not to mention that JC has proven crap in the majors (I like him, but it's the truth), and that Schmidt has been dominant. Bonds is obviously a force, but without the Schmidt, the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs last year

Contreras still has a 4.34 ERA. That is FAR from crap.

So he's had a few bad outings against Oakland, Arizona and Chicago.

Before that start against Arizona, he had the best ERA of anyone on the starting rotation.

Give the guy a freaking break.

Garland had an 8.06 ERA during a few stretch of games. JEEZ.

soltrain21
07-03-2005, 07:12 PM
If his contract goes past this year then I would pull the trigger (depending on the trade, obviously.) I have faith Kenny will not give up TOO much. He may even get creative.

Atleast this takes our mind off of Oakland.

The Dude
07-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Atleast this takes our mind off of Oakland.

Is there still a team in Oakland??

Rocklive99
Contreras still has a 4.34 ERA. That is FAR from crap.

So he's had a few bad outings against Oakland, Arizona and Chicago.

Before that start against Arizona, he had the best ERA of anyone on the starting rotation.

Give the guy a freaking break.

Garland had an 8.06 ERA during a few stretch of games. JEEZ.

I didn't say he was crap, I said he hasn't proven crap. He's been incosistent and Coop and AJ constantly have to remind him about mechanics and bad habits. I said I like JC, but when you are comparing him to Schmidt, it's no contest.

DSpivack
I just don't see the Sox having what the Giants want; I see SF as wanting to contend next year if Bonds is back, and don't see them doing that without Schmidt. The free agent SP class next year is crap, and is it is already SF needs a #2 and a #3, so I just don't see them trading a #1, unless they know something about Schmidt, think his velocity won't return, he's done, etc.

They would do it even more if we took back Ray-Ray or Alfonzo.

lths06
07-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Is there still a team in Oakland??

Yeah, the Raiders :redneck :whiner:

Soxzilla
07-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I didn't say he was crap, I said he hasn't proven crap. He's been incosistent and Coop and AJ constantly have to remind him about mechanics and bad habits. I said I like JC, but when you are comparing him to Schmidt, it's no contest.

He has proven to me that when he doesn't shake off the signs, he is awesome.

That is Coop's job to make him go out there and pitch, and pitch what is asked.

Contreras is like a puppy that pisses all over the carpet. You don't manage him, and you'll end up having to clean up a mess.

DickAllen72
07-03-2005, 07:21 PM
If this is true, it won't be announced until after tomorrow's game.

It's totally possible that the deal was made today, but the Sox needed McCarthy to start tomorrow, not wanting to start Schmidt right after arriving in Chicago. In that case, they probably wanted Schmidt to go ahead with his start for SF today, to keep him on schedule for his next start next week.

Again, all I'm speculating is if this rumor is true, it makes sense that nothing will be official until after McCarthy's start tomorrow.

shoota
07-03-2005, 07:23 PM
NO!

:?: The Giants can't win "NOW." They're 12 games under .500 and are 9.5 out of the wildcard.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2005, 07:31 PM

It's totally possible that the deal was made today, but the Sox needed McCarthy to start tomorrow, not wanting to start Schmidt right after arriving in Chicago. In that case, they probably wanted Schmidt to go ahead with his start for SF today, to keep him on schedule for his next start next week.

Again, all I'm speculating is if this rumor is true, it makes sense that nothing will be official until after McCarthy's start tomorrow.

I thought it was Garcia tomorrow.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 07:34 PM

If that is what indeed happens tomorrow, then I nominate your post as the POTC [Post of the Century]. :cool:

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
He has proven to me that when he doesn't shake off the signs, he is awesome.

That is Coop's job to make him go out there and pitch, and pitch what is asked.

Contreras is like a puppy that pisses all over the carpet. You don't manage him, and you'll end up having to clean up a mess.

I'll add to your analogy a bit more. Contreras is like the purebred puppy that came to an animal shelter from an owner who regularly kicked it in the stomach. You try to be nice to the puppy, but everytime you go to pet the thing it gets all scared and pees everywhere. Now, the reason you get the abused puppy is because you think it will save you some money rather than buying it directly from a breeder, but now what do you do? Keep letting it pee everywhere? Try to pawn it off on someone else? Or hope that after a while he settles down? The Sox have been hoping he settles down, and he's gotten better, but the carpet is still going to get wet for a while.

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
:?: The Giants can't win "NOW." They're 12 games under .500 and are 9.5 out of the wildcard.

Ya, Im aware...

By now i meant this year, and NEXT year...My fault

That division is weak, very weak...With their aging team, they need a major league ready pitcher in return for Schmidt, in order to contend next year...

Lip Man 1
07-03-2005, 07:38 PM
If this had any possibility of happening soon don't you think both the Giants and Sox would SIT the pitchers involved rather then risk injury and ending the trade?

Lip

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 07:39 PM
I think they need to rebuild all the way around. The fact that they let Hendry fleece them for Latoya just shows how backwards their thinking was at the time, but hopefully (for their fans) they've learned their lesson and will dump some of these guys and get younger.

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 07:41 PM
If this had any possibility of happening soon don't you think both the Giants and Sox would SIT the pitchers involved rather then risk injury and ending the trade?

Lip

Not if it wasn't a sure thing. Maybe SF has gotten the best offer from the Sox so far and wants to wait a little while to see if anyone else can beat it. Who knows though?

kojak
07-03-2005, 07:46 PM
If that is what indeed happens tomorrow, then I nominate your post as the POTC [Post of the Century]. :cool:

They have that?

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 07:48 PM
They have that?

Sorry, I forgot the teal... but I'm on board with the idea of acquiring Schmidt. :)

DickAllen72
07-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Someone on Soxtalk just posted that the SF flagship station is reporting the deal will be Contreras, a "high prospect", and a lower prospect for Schmidt.

Also, if the deal goes through, KW would like to add a few years to Schmidt's contract.

FWIW

Brian26
07-03-2005, 07:55 PM

FWIW, Levine said this morning on one of the AM 1000 shows that Reinsdorf has given KW the green light to go ahead and do what needs to be done since opportunities like this, if you're lucky in baseball, might come along once every 10 years or 15 years.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Lip

I'd think the same thing.

Brian26
07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
NO!

But, this whole scenario somewhat contradicts the theory that the Giants want to win now. If the Giants truly want to win now, why are they trading their #1 starter?

DickAllen72
07-03-2005, 07:58 PM
J Hood is discussing Coppak's report on the Score.

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Someone on Soxtalk just posted that the SF flagship station is reporting the deal will be Contreras, a "high prospect", and a lower prospect for Schmidt.

Also, if the deal goes through, KW would like to add a few years to Schmidt's contract.

FWIW

I'm thinking that if this type of deal gooes through KW might then go after a guy like Ted Lilly to back up Hernandez. I hope so anyway.

Buehrle
Garcia
Schmidt
Garland
Hernandez / Lilly

Wow, what a rotation!

Brian26
07-03-2005, 08:00 PM

Great post. The most logical thing said in this entire thread so far. Interesting stuff.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 08:01 PM
FWIW, Levine said this morning on one of the AM 1000 shows that Reinsdorf has given KW the green light to go ahead and do what needs to be done since opportunities like this, if you're lucky in baseball, might come along once every 10 years or 15 years.

Or every 50... :wink:

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
But, this whole scenario somewhat contradicts the theory that the Giants want to win now. If the Giants truly want to win now, why are they trading their #1 starter?

Like I said, they also have a chance next year to win, since the West is sooo weak...

But, by trading Schmidt, they not only get a major league ready pitcher in return (Assuming its Mccarthy), but they set a nice foundation of young starters with him and Lowry at the top

Plus, maybe Sabean is trying to free up cap room by trading Schmidt and his gigantic contract...They're out of it this year, but maybe a few signings this offseason and who knows about 2006

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
It seems to me that adding a starting pitcher is the type of move that would least "impact" the clubhouse chemistry. Sometimes chemistry can be overrated, but in the Sox case I think they have something special brewing.

For example, I think the 2000 deadline trade for Charles Johnson (in which they gave up Brook Fordyce), while it was good for adding pop to the bottom of the lineup, hurt chemistry because the catcher is so important to the pitchers and is part of the lineup as well. I believe changing both a hitter and half of the battery contributed to the Sox coasting into the playoffs in 2000.

OTOH, because pitching is "90% of baseball," yet a starter only pitches once every five days, adding a dominant starter is about the best move a team can make to improve themselves in the middle of a pennant race.

DickAllen72
07-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm thinking that if this type of deal gooes through KW might then go after a guy like Ted Lilly to back up Hernandez. I hope so anyway.

Buehrle
Garcia
Schmidt
Garland
Hernandez / Lilly

Wow, what a rotation!
What if the "high prospect" turns out not to be McCarthy? Then McCarthy becomes Duque's back-up and KW doesn't need to trade anyone else. This would be too good to be true, but this whole rumor is sounding that way to me (unless of course Schmidt turns out to be Billy Koch part 2).

Brian26
07-03-2005, 08:03 PM

Buehrle
Garcia
Schmidt
Garland
Hernandez / Lilly

Wow, what a rotation!

Geezuz, if we get Schmidt, we've got the best 4-man rotation in baseball since maybe the Braves of the early 90's. In the playoffs, you don't even need more than four guys. Sometimes you only need a 3-man rotation. If we get Schmidt and still have an El Duque to fill the 5th role, I'm sure we'll be fine for the rest of the season.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
What if the "high prospect" turns out not to be McCarthy? Then McCarthy becomes Duque's back-up and KW doesn't need to trade anyone else. This would be too good to be true, but this whole rumor is sounding that way to me (unless of course Schmidt turns out to be Billy Koch part 2).

So you're thinking it possibly could be Anderson instead of McCarthy? Anyone know the Giants outfield picture for this year and beyond (other than Bonds, of course)?

Brian26
07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Plus, maybe Sabean is trying to free up cap room by trading Schmidt and his gigantic contract...They're out of it this year, but maybe a few signings this offseason and who knows about 2006

But Sabean is taking on a lot of money with Contraras' contract.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 08:05 PM

When did baseball get a salary cap?

Brian26
07-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Right. What if the high prospect is Sweeney instead of McCarthy? So, it would be Schmidt for Contreras, Sweeney, and a low-level prospect.

What if the high prospect is Borchard?

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 08:07 PM

Perhaps the Sox would take on part of his deal (in addition to the portion the Yankees ageed to pay in the Loaiza deal)?

Of course, this whole coversation needs to be in deeppink until any rumours are confirmed by both teams.

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Right. What if the high prospect is Sweeney instead of McCarthy? So, it would be Schmidt for Contreras, Sweeney, and a low-level prospect.

There...that's better. :wink:

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 08:08 PM

Ya, I didnt see that Contreras post...

That would be an interesting trade, now wouldnt it....

I personally dont see how Schmidt would come here if Mccarthy isnt involved, but hey...These are the same Giants who dealt for Latroy Hawkins

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 08:10 PM

He is tearing it up power-wise in Charlotte. His LTP from the left side of the plate could fit nicely in a park with short right field dimensions. Of course, this is extremely deeppink.... (even though I do think it remains premature at this point to assume Borchard already has reached his career plateau).

Kogs35
how much in JC contract for next year. and the yankees will pay 1 mill of it if my memory is correct

Brian26
Interesting post from the Giants board:

I think most of the GM's around MLB realize that Schmidt has been "damaged goods" since the middle of last season, actually. His little hot streak recently hopefully made them forget that momentarily,and the last week would have been the most opportune time to trade him...now, he's shown that he's back to his erratic form and after today his trade value has diminished greatly. Rumors have him going to the White Sox, but the WS are on a roll now and have trememdous momentum....do they really want to take a chance on a guy that might not win 3 or 4 games for them? Possibly the Giants are now stuck with him and will have to either pick up his option or give him away...

The Dude
07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
still listening to Sporting news radio, they said according to two top white sox execs, the deal is very very close and about to be complete. Very interesting.

SABRSox
07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Coppack finally mentioned something about the deal on his show. Said his sources are two White Sox executives, one who said the deal is nearly done, the other who claims it has already been consumated. No word on who is involved on the White Sox end.

Optipessimism
07-03-2005, 08:13 PM
It seems to me that adding a starting pitcher is the type of move that would least "impact" the clubhouse chemistry. Sometimes chemistry can be overrated, but in the Sox case I think they have something special brewing.

For example, I think the 2000 deadline trade for Charles Johnson (in which they gave up Brook Fordyce), while it was good for adding pop to the bottom of the lineup, hurt chemistry because the catcher is so important to the pitchers and is part of the lineup as well. I believe changing both a hitter and half of the battery contributed to the Sox coasting into the playoffs in 2000.

OTOH, because pitching is "90% of baseball," yet a starter only pitches once every five days, adding a dominant starter is about the best move a team can make to improve themselves in the middle of a pennant race.

I don't think trading for another SP necessarily hurts the chemistry unless its one of our big 3 (can you believe it? we have a big 3 now!) which would never happen. Adding a guy like Schmidt only sends one message to this team: thank you for your hard work to put us in this position.

Young Gun
07-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Right now? (The Dude's last post)

The Dude
07-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Right now? (The Dude's last post)

yeah on the last update around 8 minutes ago.