PDA

View Full Version : Margarita-Wrigley-ville

Spicoli
07-03-2005, 01:17 PM
The Cubs found a way to add to payroll:

Chicago Cubs: What a boost they've gotten this week with both Mark Prior and Kerry Wood returning to the rotation. Suddenly, the Cubs are four games over .500 (40-36 at midweek) and heading north.

Derrek Lee can't be expected to carry things all summer, and they'd like to add some offense. They've spoken with Colorado about Wilson, Tampa Bay about Aubrey Huff and undoubtedly will talk with Cincinnati about Adam Dunn, whom the Reds are shopping.

The key for the Cubs will be finding a player match with whomever they target -- and the Cubs have a deep farm system, so they've got that going for them -- because they should have extra funds thanks in part to ... yes, Buffett.

Seriously. The President/CEO of Parrothead Nation is playing Wrigley Field on Labor Day weekend, Sept. 5 and 6, and the Cubs expect to clear a couple million bucks from the shows. Here's the key: Because it is not a baseball activity, that money goes straight into the Cubs' pockets without baseball taking a cut for revenue sharing or luxury tax.

Thus, the Cubs will have plenty of extra mad money to toss around as the summer heats up and things get serious.

Link (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8610094/2). I never liked Jimmy Buffett! It fits with the cubs fratboy atmosphere...

Ol' No. 2
07-03-2005, 01:29 PM
The Cubs found a way to add to payroll:

Link (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8610094/2). I never liked Jimmy Buffett! It fits with the cubs fratboy atmosphere...Meh. So they'll get Preston Wilson and assemble the first 400 SO outfield.

Spicoli
07-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Meh. So they'll get Preston Wilson and assemble the first 400 SO outfield.

LOL

JB98
07-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Jimmy Buffett = Barney for Adults

The article states the Cubs are four games over .500 and "headed north." Oops. If they lose today, they'll be back to .500 and "headed south," literally and figuratively. They'll get their asses kicked in Atlanta this week.

RallyBowl
07-03-2005, 02:26 PM
They can have jimmy buffet. We've got the Doobie Brothers!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-03-2005, 02:29 PM

don't forget the beatles

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Jimmy Buffet x (Flubbie Fans + alcohol) =

(Jimmy Buffet x Flubbie Fans) + (Jimmy Buffet x alcohol) =

a whole lot of burned out brain cells.

dcb33
07-03-2005, 02:45 PM

a whole lot of burned out brain cells.

Does that equation even need the alcohol variable to be accurate?:tongue:

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Does that equation even need the alcohol variable to be accurate?:tongue:

nope :redneck

dcb33
07-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Meh. So they'll get Preston Wilson and assemble the first 400 SO outfield.

They always could trade for Northside folk hero Kenny Lofton. He'd solve all their leadoff woes just like he did in 2003 and take them to the promised land!

RallyBowl
07-03-2005, 03:00 PM

a whole lot of burned out brain cells.= More scrub fans being conceived:(:

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 03:43 PM
= More scrub fans being conceived :(:

No worries RB... by the time those kids grow to adulthood with wads of disposable cash burning holes in their jeans, the Urinal will long be put out of it's misery via the wrecking ball. They [the conceived kids at the JB concert] will have have been questioning their parents anyway [as kids do], and will not view the shiny new Flubbie Park with the same [misguided] devotion as their parents had... these kids-now-young-adults will see the Cell as Chicago's Baseball Mecca, with flavor and character, and will become SOX fans. :smile:

MrRoboto83
07-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Flub Game, Buffett concert, I'm sure most Flub fans won't know the difference.

Brian26
07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Flub Game, Buffett concert, I'm sure most Flub fans won't know the difference.

Actually, the similarities between Scrub fans and Buffett fans are almost scary. Neither group seems to know what's going on when they attend their respective events. I believe I've also seen both Buffett fans and Scrub fans urinate on themselves in various states of intoxication.

LuvSox
07-03-2005, 08:38 PM

And the Rolling Stones

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Actually, the similarities between Scrub fans and Buffett fans are almost scary. Neither group seems to know what's going on when they attend their respective events. I believe I've also seen both Buffett fans and Scrub fans urinate on themselves in various states of intoxication.

You're right. Both are places/events for mindless lemmings to be seen and to get wasted.

StillMissOzzie
07-04-2005, 12:56 AM
You're right. Both are places/events for mindless lemmings to be seen and to get wasted.

Well, I happen to be a Jimmy Buffett fan, and it sucks that the Urinal will be his only Chicago appearance, since I won't go to the Urinal to see this show.

The difference between a ScRubs game and a Buffett concert, FP? Yes, both have their share of overserved patrons, and both have patrons in strange garb, both even have their portions of live music, but only one has a baseball game being ignored.

SMO
:gulp:

MUsoxfan
07-04-2005, 01:12 AM
And the Rolling Stones

And "The Boss"

Optipessimism
07-04-2005, 02:36 AM
No worries RB... by the time those kids grow to adulthood with wads of disposable cash burning holes in their jeans, the Urinal will long be put out of it's misery via the wrecking ball. They [the conceived kids at the JB concert] will have have been questioning their parents anyway [as kids do], and will not view the shiny new Flubbie Park with the same [misguided] devotion as their parents had... these kids-now-young-adults will see the Cell as Chicago's Baseball Mecca, with flavor and character, and will become SOX fans. :smile:

Two Cub fans mating can not produce a future for anyone. Especially following a Jimmy Buffett concert. Yikes!

SAVVY18
07-04-2005, 09:57 AM
One reason they are doing this is that Buffett played at Fenway last year and look what happened...Boston won the W.S. The coob are hoping it was Buffett and not the actual play on the field that won them the World Series.

white sox bill
07-04-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm also a Buffet fan, too bad he doesn't have better taste in the venues he plays in:mad:

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I absolutely loathe Jimmy Buffet. I hope Wrigley Stadium officially implodes upon itself during this show.

eriqjaffe
07-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Somewhat seriously, I wonder what the shaking caused by two straight hours of amplified bass & drums will do to the concrete infrastructure?

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
One reason they are doing this is that Buffett played at Fenway last year and look what happened...Boston won the W.S. The coob are hoping it was Buffett and not the actual play on the field that won them the World Series.
I was going to say that. Also, Buffett, IIRC, has never had a number 1 song on the charts. So close, yet so far away.....just like 2003......

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
And "The Boss"

Don't forget the Jacksons 1984 "Victory" tour.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Fenway
07-05-2005, 12:34 PM
so does Woo-Woo dress up as a Parrot Head?

I ignored it when he came to Fenway last year

http://www.pubclub.com/Boston/Images/BuffettFenwayMonster.JPG
http://www.pubclub.com/Boston/Images/BuffettSunStageLead.JPG