PDA

View Full Version : Pinwheels?

jabrch
07-03-2005, 03:12 AM
I was talking to a friend today - why don't they bring back "real" pinwheels instead of those fake, non-moving and worse yet, the non-lighting ones?

MUsoxfan
07-03-2005, 03:37 AM
The current pinwheels get the job done

Realist
07-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I was talking to a friend today - why don't they bring back "real" pinwheels instead of those fake, non-moving and worse yet, the non-lighting ones?

I'm with you. Spin, Baby spin! More sparks! More fireworks! More Wine! Spongecake fans, peel me a grape!

:R&R
"Please tell whatever the hell that thing is in your signature that it has to ride on the handle bars and it's chipping in for gas."

TornLabrum
07-03-2005, 09:56 AM
The pinwheels don't bother me one bit. The original scoreboard didn't have them anyway.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Two words for you. Rocket launchers.

With all the improvements made to the Cell these last 5 seasons, it is the SCOREBOARD that is now in need of the biggest upgrade. The White Sox must always -- ALWAYS!!! -- have the biggest, loudest, ane most outrageous scoreboard in the entire major leagues. It's the franchise's legacy that is at stake here.

I want pinwheels that spin.
I want rocket launchers that recoil like howitzers.
I want strobe lights flashing.
I want explosions, bombs, flares, tracers, roman candles, and sparklers, too.
I want a scoreboard that is literally FOUR-TIMES bigger than the one there today.

It must be outrageous, the signature feature of the Sox' home. Anyone tries to get cute and make their scoreboard bigger, we just add another 20 feet to the top of ours -- just like Michigan does everytime Tennessee adds seats.

**** 'em all, I say.

:cool:

tebman
07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
The pinwheels don't bother me one bit. The original scoreboard didn't have them anyway.

From 1967, Exhibit A:

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/images/comiskey63.jpg

What the original board did have, though, was personality. The current version is a high-definitioin technological marvel, but it lacks the overcaffeinated-pinball-machine goofiness of the original. I refer you to this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) to hear what it originally sounded like -- scroll down to the July 5th, 1964 and May 2nd, 1965 games and listen to the audio clips.

I think Brooks Boyer is missing a trick here by not going back to the board's revelous and uninhibited origins.

windycityson
07-03-2005, 10:23 AM
It doesn't matter to me as long as we light that S.O.B. up every night:gulp:

Realist
07-03-2005, 10:37 AM

With all the improvements made to the Cell these last 5 seasons, it is the SCOREBOARD that is now in need of the biggest upgrade. The White Sox must always -- ALWAYS!!! -- have the biggest, loudest, ane most outrageous scoreboard in the entire major leagues. It's the franchise's legacy that is at stake here.

I want a scoreboard that is literally FOUR-TIMES bigger than the one there today.

It must be outrageous, the signature feature of the Sox' home. Anyone tries to get cute and make their scoreboard bigger, we just add another 20 feet to the top of ours -- just like Michigan does everytime Tennessee adds seats.

**** 'em all, I say.

You're exactly right, George! I trust that you've already cut, pasted and sent a copy of this post to the proper authorities.

:smile:

CubKilla
07-03-2005, 10:42 AM

The current one's do light up. And I'm 99.999% positive that the old pinwheels on the old scoreboard didn't spin either.

jabrch
07-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Worse than the pinwheels on the scoreboard are the crappy sticker pinwheels on the facade to the club level seats. Pinwheel DECALS? Come on Brooks!!!! If you only had real pinwheels, 40,000 would come in every day!!!!

CubKilla
07-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Worse than the pinwheels on the scoreboard are the crappy sticker pinwheels on the facade to the club level seats. Pinwheel DECALS? Come on Brooks!!!! If you only had real pinwheels, 40,000 would come in every day!!!!

Not to mention, the fact that the pinwheel decals ARE BACKWARDS kills me.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Here's an example of what it looked like after our win over the Indians on 4-6.

The pinwheels do "spin" as the lights rotate around. I could certainly go for more snap, crackle, and pop!

tebman
07-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Here's an example of what it looked like after our win over the Indians on 4-6.

The pinwheels do "spin" as the lights rotate around. I could certainly go for more snap, crackle, and pop!
Great picture! But then compare it with this picture and there's no contest. Remember that the lights framing everything are in constant frenetic, direction-changing motion, along with roman candles spitting out of the tops of the mortars under the big fireworks, along with random strobe lights on the face of the board, along with over-the-top loud sound effects (train whistles, dive bombers, Hallelujah Chorus, etc.). Those anything-goes qualities are what the current board lacks. The picture below doesn't do it justice because the camera shutter was open for several seconds to get the fireworks' tails. You miss the shake, rattle, and roll of the display because of that, but you probably get the idea.

Now that we have a winning team, we need the board to get back in its youthful shape!

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/images/comiskey52.jpg

RallyBowl
07-03-2005, 12:37 PM

**** 'em all, I say.

:cool:You sir, are the MAN!

SOX ADDICT '73
07-03-2005, 12:38 PM
I refer you to this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) to hear what it originally sounded like -- scroll down to the July 5th, 1964 and May 2nd, 1965 games and listen to the audio clips.
Holy crap! That thing sounded like London during The Blitz - talk about striking fear in the hearts of your opponents. I'd love to see Johan Santana pee down his leg after Frank and Paulie hit back-to-back jacks. By comparison, our current scoreboard sounds like a kid tossing snap-caps onto the sidewalk.

paciorek1983
07-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Ever since they put in the new video screen, the overall look of the "scoreboard" looks awful. It has become very boring, probably one of the worst boards in the league. Our scoreboard needs to look busy, which it doesn't.

My rankings of our scoreboards:

1. Monster board of the 70's
2. Diamondvision board of the 80's
3. New Comiskey board of the 90's
4. Scoreboard of the 50's
5. USCF blandovision board of the 00's

The new board has become so pathetic, that they can't even get any new ads on the board. Noone wants the spot underneath the board, just because some on the lower level behind home can't see it and now they don't even bother selling the space, and the ad space under the Pepsi sign is now blank.

Since they already have the videoboard in place, they should just redo everything around it. They could make it just like the orginal, but keep the vidoscreen in the center & put the out of town scores on either side.

I almost can't stand to look at our current board anymore. It really looks pathetic.

TheOldRoman
07-04-2005, 02:12 AM

**** 'em all, I say.

The Sox need to hire PHG to head up the "Scoreboard Improvement Committee".

I can see the trustee meeting now:

PHG: Gentlement of the Board, I came up with a 20 step plan to improve the scoreboard. For a mere $40mil, we will have a scoreboard that is 50ft taller than the upper deck. The scoreboard would have a high definition monitor with a surface area of half a mile. It will have working pinwheels, and will shoot out roughly 300 rounds of fireworks spanning 90 seconds after every homer while air raid sirens blast in the background. The clock on top of the scoreboard would be capable of launching rockets into space. After every homer, it will shoot a baseball into orbit.