PDA

View Full Version : First place....Expos?

Whitesox029
07-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I thought this was an interesting question, considering there are still people who insist on whining about the Sox attendance figures as well. I am rooting for the Nats [ to beat the Cubs some more and ] to win the East. That in my opinion would be really cool and might do a lot for baseball.

TheOldRoman
07-03-2005, 12:39 AM
I thought this was an interesting question, considering there are still people who insist on whining about the Sox attendance figures as well. I am rooting for the Nats [ to beat the Cubs some more ]and to win the East. That in my opinion would be really cool and might do a lot for baseball.
Interesting question? You didnt ask a question in your post.

Whitesox029
07-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Interesting question? You didnt ask a question in your post.
See the poll, sir.

soltrain21
07-03-2005, 12:41 AM
I hope they don't win the division. Don't you think the fans should have to suffer just a tad?

TheOldRoman
07-03-2005, 12:44 AM
See the poll, sir.
Oh, I guess I opened the thread before the poll came up.:redface:

DSpivack
07-03-2005, 12:48 AM
The poll says the team would be the same in Montreal. I disagree; they had a few free agent acquisitions this past offseason [like the great Cristian Guzman deal] that I don't think they would have invested in if they didn't know they had a new owner coming with new revenue and higher future payrolls.

I want either the Marlins or Nats to win the division; I hate the Mets, dislike the Phillies, and just want to see someone other than the Braves win it. Same goes for the AL East, I'd like to see the O's win it; as I hate the Yanks and dislike the Carmines, and just to see those two miss the playoffs would be fun.

TheOldRoman
07-03-2005, 12:49 AM
I hope they don't win the division. Don't you think the fans should have to suffer just a tad?
Say what you will about suffering, but at least we have had a team to watch the last 33 years.
I actually think them winning the division could do more harm than help long term in terms of building a fanbase. If they win the first year or two, fans will come. But if they have bad teams after that, fans will lose interest because all they have known is winning. However, I think that if they have a solid season or two, and just miss the playoffs, the fans wouldn't be spoiled by sucess. Everyone loves a winner, and people will come to watch a team win no matter what. When they dont win anymore, nobody will care. But in order for the Nats to build up a strong fanbase, DC must learn to love the team, and not winning.

PAPChiSox729
07-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Good question. I really don't know how much influence the fans have on the success of a team. The Nationals are great at home and really have a huge home field advantage. On the road, they are over .500 but only by a few games. With that said, I still think they have a good enough team that would make the playoffs if they stayed in Montreal. But that berth may come from the WC because the NL East race would be much closer, IMO.

MUsoxfan
07-03-2005, 01:18 AM
They've always been a hit or miss team. I still miss the fact that we could have had a White Sox/Expos WS in '94. This year they'd be a hit no matter what city they play in

Go Go Everetts
07-03-2005, 01:46 AM
I think they have benefited from finally having a home field and I think Frank Robinson has done an excellent job managing the team.

EdHerman12
07-03-2005, 07:36 AM
I have to think that if the Nats were still the 'Spos and going from Montreal to a say 10 game road trip then to Puerto Rico and then back to Canada, it would have to effect their performance. Most of the current Washington players were on the Expos and they're 20+ games better?

If anyone is interested last weeks Sports Illustrated had an article concerning the baseball scene in the DC/Baltimore area. They even have graphics comparing the financial differences between Baltimore area fans and DC fans....there are a lot of well off folks in the DC area, and they are soon going to have a nice ball park....

GO SOX!:gulp:

chisoxmike
07-03-2005, 11:54 AM
It would be nice for a change to see some new teams in the playoffs this year. IE, Nationals, Padres, White Sox, etc. I think everyone is tired of the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves playoff series.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I think they have benefited from finally having a home field and I think Frank Robinson has done an excellent job managing the team.

Frank's done a helluva job skippering the Nationals from the dugout... in between working his cell phone, pondering his golf game & those power naps, he's proving to be quite the multi-tasker. :wink:

Stroker Ace
07-03-2005, 12:09 PM
It's amazing what a change of scenery can do to a team. Just look at us in Oakland.

The Racehorse
07-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Looks like Joe Hardy's deal with Mr. Applegate is coming to fruition. :kneeslap:

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm gonna say not because of location, but because of not playin' in Montreal for some and Puerto Rico for others. Even though movin' from a miserable 'Stade Olympique' to RFK helps.

Whitesox029
07-04-2005, 03:07 AM
It would be nice for a change to see some new teams in the playoffs this year. IE, Nationals, Padres, White Sox, etc. I think everyone is tired of the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves playoff series.
Here comes the Deep Pink Patrol!
weeeeooooo weeeeeeoooooo weeeeeoooooo
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't deep pink suggest something that isn't likely to happen but would really be great? I mean that would be great but I think it's earned Black print status by now.

doublem23
07-04-2005, 03:11 AM
I think being jerked around by the MLB really hurt the Expos the last few seasons. Now that they have a permanent home, with a fanbase of more than 6,000-a-night, you're seeing how good those guys really are.

I think baseball could have survived and prospered in Montreal, but not the way it was being handled. Nice to see that things are going well in Washington, though.

bigfoot
07-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Aren't the Ex/Sen/Nats still "owned" by MLB?
And, with that premise, will the "owners" dig deep to allow the Nats pursue trades for help for the "pennant run"?

(hope this doesn't hijack your thread)