PDA

View Full Version : Wagner says Phills have "no chance."

santo=dorf
07-02-2005, 01:08 PM
I saw a blurb in the Sun-Times how Wagner refuses to retract the statements he made saying the Phills weren't going to the playoffs this year. How does Ed Wade get such a free pass? :?:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/wagner.jpg
"Get me the **** out of Philly!"

GiveMeSox
07-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I saw a blurb in the Sun-Times how Wagner refuses to retract the statements he made saying the Phills weren't going to the playoffs this year. How does Ed Wade get such a free pass? :?:

"Get me the **** out of Philly!"

I dont want him unless philly eats a large portion of his contract.

SoxSpeed22
07-02-2005, 01:32 PM

"Get me the **** out of Philly!"The Starting Pitching seems to be their problem. I wouldn't mind havin' Wagner in a Sox uniform.

Ol' No. 2
07-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I dont want him unless philly eats a large portion of his contract.I believe he's a FA after this year, so the Sox would only be on the hook for half a year or less anyway. They'll want a prospect in return for the cash.

TheOldRoman
07-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, the Sox are in a position to add payroll. Half a season of Wagner would cost $5mil. It is well worth it.

balke
07-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Honel and Cash or something of the sort. I wouldn't drop Mccarthy for him.

TheOldRoman
07-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Honel and Cash or something of the sort. I wouldn't drop Mccarthy for him.
I havent heard too many rumors about teams asking about Wagner yet, so hopefully KW could swoop in and pick him up before other teams know he is available.

As for the Senator, I wouldn't trade him unless we got Oswalt in return. Oswalt is an absolute stud, and he can give you 230 IP every year. Schmidt is a huge risk, and I haven't heard of any other great pitchers who would be available.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2005, 02:56 PM
As for the Senator, I wouldn't trade him unless we got Oswalt in return. Oswalt is an absolute stud, and he can give you 230 IP every year. Schmidt is a huge risk, and I haven't heard of any other great pitchers who would be available.

Do you have any idea what Houston would demand in return for Oswalt?

Ask youself what you as a hypothetical Sox GM would demand in return for Mark Buehrle.

That's about what Houston would want for Oswalt.

TheOldRoman
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you have any idea what Houston would demand in return for Oswalt?

Ask youself what you as a hypothetical Sox GM would demand in return for Mark Buehrle.

That's about what Houston would want for Oswalt.
I know. And as I have been saying on here for a couple of weeks now, Houston is not out of it. They started out horribly, but they have been playing good lately. They are only 6.5 back of the wildcard in a poor national league. They wont be selling anyway.

I was merely saying, Oswalt is the ONLY player I would give up the Senator for at this point, seeing as there arent really any studs on horrible teams that are already out of it. When teams call asking about McCarthy, I would tell them no way. If Houston called offereing Oswalt, I would talk with them. Obviously it would take a lot more than the Senator, but he would be the biggest dealing chip.

fquaye149
07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I know. And as I have been saying on here for a couple of weeks now, Houston is not out of it. They started out horribly, but they have been playing good lately. They are only 6.5 back of the wildcard in a poor national league. They wont be selling anyway.

I was merely saying, Oswalt is the ONLY player I would give up the Senator for at this point, seeing as there arent really any studs on horrible teams that are already out of it. When teams call asking about McCarthy, I would tell them no way. If Houston called offereing Oswalt, I would talk with them. Obviously it would take a lot more than the Senator, but he would be the biggest dealing chip.

I know exactly what you mean - the kind of talent it would take where I'd be comfortable giving up Mccarthy, no GM would trade it away.

However, if someon offered us Joe Blanton or Scott Kazmir, or Edwin Jackson or something for Buehrle...if we were out of it, that'd be a tough choice. Add to that if Buehrle had never exactly lived up to his potential (like Oswalt really hasn't considering how sky high his expectations have been) and throw injury concerns in the mix, and it becomes almost plausible it could happen.

Having said that: it won't happen.

buehrle4cy05
07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Wagner's comments were taken completely out of context. He said, if the Phillies keep playing like they are now, they have "no chance" to make the playoffs. Charlie Manuel said he had no problem with the remarks being said.

iamkoza
07-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Why would houston offer oswalt again?

TheOldRoman
07-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Why would houston offer oswalt again?
:?: Did you even read my post?

balke
07-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Wagner's comments were taken completely out of context. He said, if the Phillies keep playing like they are now, they have "no chance" to make the playoffs. Charlie Manuel said he had no problem with the remarks being said.

Actually the way he said it after being asked do you think this team has what it takes to make it to the playoffs, he responded by saying "Not a chance. We don't know how to win." or something close to that. Which is a little different, implying certain doom for a team that doesn't know how to win. His comments were true perhaps, but the real reason they can't win is no pitching, and too much power. They should try dumping Thome for a pitcher or decent on-base guy. Rollins is good, but swings for the fences a lot. Utley should be moved up in the order, and some starters need to be found fast.

buehrle4cy05
07-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Actually the way he said it after being asked do you think this team has what it takes to make it to the playoffs, he responded by saying "Not a chance. We don't know how to win." or something close to that.

Another reason not to trust the national media. I was watching the Phils/Braves game on Fox when they put up a quote by Wagner and explained that it was out of context.