PDA

View Full Version : Playoff needs

Mammoo
07-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Sox need another starter and possibly another bat...buy definitely a starter...

Does anyone want to see Contreras go near a baseball in the post season. Hernandez is unreliable heath-wise and don't even mention McCarthy.

As always, I have supreme confidence in KW to make the trade we need:wink:. I don't care who he lands or who he trades.

If not this year...WHEN? :gulp:

downstairs
07-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I am not going to use the term "concern," and this is not a dark cloud rant.

I am curious what the Sox needs are going into the playoffs. Assuming no injuries, and assuming we make it to the playoffs, of course.

Now, I'd like to say "don't fix what's not broken"... but there is one interesting thing in baseball that I don't think can be ignored: In the last 20 years, only 3 teams with the best record in baseball won the World Series that year (1998, 1989, 1986).

So I have to believe that some teams are built for the regular season, and some better built for the playoffs. Are the Sox built well for the playoffs? If not, what needs to be addressed?

gosox41
07-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I am not going to use the term "concern," and this is not a dark cloud rant.

I am curious what the Sox needs are going into the playoffs. Assuming no injuries, and assuming we make it to the playoffs, of course.

Now, I'd like to say "don't fix what's not broken"... but there is one interesting thing in baseball that I don't think can be ignored: In the last 20 years, only 3 teams with the best record in baseball won the World Series that year (1998, 1989, 1986).

So I have to believe that some teams are built for the regular season, and some better built for the playoffs. Are the Sox built well for the playoffs? If not, what needs to be addressed?

Here comes my rant:

I'l tell you what I think needs to be addressed. Starting Pitching. I can't stand watching Jose Contreras any more. With his physical ability, he should be a dominant pitcher. Instead were stuck watching a guy with all the talent in the world nibble at corners, tip his pitches, work slower then molasses in January, throw way too many pitches, get distracted by pitching out of the stretch and work every count to full count.

It's a shame to watch such great talent struggle so much. Is this guy coachable?

In a perfect world I'd trade for an AJ Burnett of Schmidt (if healthy). I'd then shuffle JC off to an NL team in need of pitching in hopes of getting a decent reliever back for him.

Having all the faith in the world in him, like Ozzie does isn't going to get W's when you constantly give up the big inning or walk 7 guys in 4 2/3. KW came out in spring training and flat out said JC should win 14-15 games on talent alone. Translation to me: Get the ball and pitch it where the catcher wants it. Don't think. Trust your stuff. JC doesn't. He did at the beginning of the year, when he was throwing his 110 pitches in 6 innings but the last few starts he's no better then what using some overhyped shlub from the minor leagues to come in and pitch. The difference, however, is a 22 year old kid should lack some confidence while a 32+ year old vet should know by now what he can and can't do.

Bob

BlackHat91
07-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Here comes my rant:

I'l tell you what I think needs to be addressed. Starting Pitching. I can't stand watching Jose Contreras any more. With his physical ability, he should be a dominant pitcher. Instead were stuck watching a guy with all the talent in the world nibble at corners, tip his pitches, work slower then molasses in January, throw way too many pitches, get distracted by pitching out of the stretch and work every count to full count.

It's a shame to watch such great talent struggle so much. Is this guy coachable?

In a perfect world I'd trade for an AJ Burnett of Schmidt (if healthy). I'd then shuffle JC off to an NL team in need of pitching in hopes of getting a decent reliever back for him.

Having all the faith in the world in him, like Ozzie does isn't going to get W's when you constantly give up the big inning or walk 7 guys in 4 2/3. KW came out in spring training and flat out said JC should win 14-15 games on talent alone. Translation to me: Get the ball and pitch it where the catcher wants it. Don't think. Trust your stuff. JC doesn't. He did at the beginning of the year, when he was throwing his 110 pitches in 6 innings but the last few starts he's no better then what using some overhyped shlub from the minor leagues to come in and pitch. The difference, however, is a 22 year old kid should lack some confidence while a 32+ year old vet should know by now what he can and can't do.

Bob

Well said. While Jose has shown at times to be a dominating pitcher, there are too many times he has looked like a scrub. With El Duque's injury problems, I dont think we can afford to have two questionable pitchers on the roster.

ma_deuce
07-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Wow... we haven't won anything yet and already we are "concerned" about our ability to win in the playoffs. No offense, but I'm more concerned about winning in Oakland right now. :unsure:

Deuce

downstairs
07-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow... we haven't won anything yet and already we are "concerned" about our ability to win in the playoffs. No offense, but I'm more concerned about winning in Oakland right now. :unsure:

Deuce

No, I understand. But don't forget the trading deadline is in a month. So if something needs to be addressed, it has to be addressed this month.... not after we clinch (if we do).

Having this discussion in August may be more realistic to fans, but its also irrelevant at that point.

And, I think its fair to discuss whether we're a good playoff team, or merely a good regular season team. The latter has been the case with 85% of teams in our situation.

Jurr
07-02-2005, 09:51 AM
No, I understand. But don't forget the trading deadline is in a month. So if something needs to be addressed, it has to be addressed this month.... not after we clinch (if we do).

Having this discussion in August may be more realistic to fans, but its also irrelevant at that point.

And, I think its fair to discuss whether we're a good playoff team, or merely a good regular season team. The latter has been the case with 85% of teams in our situation.
Ozzie did have a point in the paper this morning. If the Sox would score some runs for JC, maybe he wouldn't have to press so much.
You can't have aces up and down your lineup, and I think Contreras is pretty damn good for a fourth or fifth guy. He's making 6 mil a year from the Sox end, and he keeps the team in the game. That's all you need from your back end.

Jurr
07-02-2005, 09:53 AM
I think he's got his playoff rotation. Buehrle, Garland, Garcia. Nuff said. It would be nice if we could get another starter for prospects, but I don't want to see us overpay for three months with a guy (and no chance of re-signing.)

Ol' No. 2
07-02-2005, 09:58 AM
I think he's got his playoff rotation. Buehrle, Garland, Garcia. Nuff said. It would be nice if we could get another starter for prospects, but I don't want to see us overpay for three months with a guy (and no chance of re-signing.)Right. You use only 4 starters in the playoffs, and the fourth guy doesn't even start that much. Hernandez will be in the mix. That's why he's on the team - he's money in the playoffs. I don't know what they're going to do with Contreras. He's not exactly the kind of guy I want to see walking in from the bullpen in late-inning situations.

jehosaphat
07-02-2005, 10:05 AM

Hopefully this isn't too obvious, but I think the critical factor is how hot you are going into the playoffs. You mention regular season record not translating into success, but I suspect that record in August and September does translate much better. So, if the Sox are playing well in August and September, I'll be confident. If we coast into the playoffs with a .500 record during the last month, I won't be confident. My greatest fear is that the team will head to the playoffs in one of our hitting funks.

Having said that, I think the Sox are built pretty well for a good run because of our starting pitching and defense. Hot hitting, good offensive teams, can be kept in check by our pitching and our defense, giving us a chance to win every game. I think Burlie is the best pitcher in baseball and I think he will come through big time when the playoffs arrive. I also have a lot of confidence in Garland and Garcia, and if Hernandez can be healthy, he has been there before and is a gamer. A 4 man rotation is all you need for the playoffs.

As for needs, I wish we had a lights out reliever who can slam the door everytime. Dustin has done well, but doubts linger in my mind. I also wish we had a top "league leading" type hitter in the middle of the order. Big Frank offers the best hope for this.

I don't really think there is a trade to be made. People can always suggest wild ideas (maybe the Cards will trade us pujols for gload), but realistically you have to give something to get something, and too many teams with good players are in contention. I'm not thrilled with the idea of throwing good prospects at mediocre players. For instance, if we trade BMac we better get something special. So I am content to stand pat, and hope that the team is playing well come the playoffs.

Last thought - I believe we will win it all this year. The playoffs usually bring surprises, so don't surprised if someone like Crede, Uribe, or Rowand hits .400 and smacks 8 home runs during the championship run.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-02-2005, 10:09 AM
I wasn't aware baseball teams use 5-man rotations in the playoffs.

:kukoo:

dcb33
07-02-2005, 10:17 AM
I think the main need for the Sox in the postseason is 11 wins.

iwcup
07-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Right. You use only 4 starters in the playoffs, and the fourth guy doesn't even start that much. Hernandez will be in the mix. That's why he's on the team - he's money in the playoffs. I don't know what they're going to do with Contreras. He's not exactly the kind of guy I want to see walking in from the bullpen in late-inning situations.

oh my god is that one of the voices of reason????

a four man rotation, decent team speed, good defense, and maybe some tinkering(hello Kenny, bullpen???) and we should be able to make a strong run.

and doesnt Hernandez do this every year? Also, unlike previous years of playing the starters EVERY game to play catch up, we have been getting guys rest, and getting Frank and Carl AB's.

not gonna sweat the small stuff.

BeviBall!
07-02-2005, 11:25 AM
It's July 2nd people. Let's get there first.

Brian26
07-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I wasn't aware baseball teams use 5-man rotations in the playoffs.

And if we're in a jam in Game 4 or Game 5 of the ALDS, you can damn well guarantee Ozzie will take a page out of McKeon's book and bring in a starter instead of a mediocre reliever. He should, at least.

jabrch
07-02-2005, 11:51 AM
And if we're in a jam in Game 4 or Game 5 of the ALDS, you can damn well guarantee Ozzie will take a page out of McKeon's book and bring in a starter instead of a mediocre reliever. He should, at least.

We have some pretty damn good relievers. Why use a mediocre starter when you have very effective relievers?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Flashback to the 1993 ALCS. McDowell, Fernandez, and Alvarez started the first three games. Bere started Game 4 but he got roughed up. Tim Belcher comes in in relief to shutdown Toronto and the Sox come back to win.

Belcher was the #5 starter during the season, a late season acquisition by Schueler. However the most important innings he ever pitched for the Sox were in relief during the ALCS.

The other key reliever from that game? Kirk McCaskill, another ex-member of the Sox starting rotation.

Yeah, but let's fret about our starting pitching THIS YEAR... Contreras sucks!

You need 3 starting pitchers in the playoffs. Some win championships with as few as two.

MIgrenade
07-02-2005, 12:12 PM
You need 3 starting pitchers in the playoffs. Some win championships with as few as two.

Yeah but recently those 2 have included Schilling a lot teamed with Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez.
The good news for the Sox this year is that there is no stronger starting three outside of maybe the Marlins.

gosox41
07-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Flashback to the 1993 ALCS. McDowell, Fernandez, and Alvarez started the first three games. Bere started Game 4 but he got roughed up. Tim Belcher comes in in relief to shutdown Toronto and the Sox come back to win.

Belcher was the #5 starter during the season, a late season acquisition by Schueler. However the most important innings he ever pitched for the Sox were in relief during the ALCS.

The other key reliever from that game? Kirk McCaskill, another ex-member of the Sox starting rotation.

Yeah, but let's fret about our starting pitching THIS YEAR... Contreras sucks!

I'm sure looking forward to the playoff game where one of our big 3 struggles in the 4/5th inning and in from the bullpen comes JC.

You only need 3 guys to start games in the playoffs. But you're right, the situation might arise where the Sox need to bring in their 4th or 5th starter to relieve.

As much as it's been a feel good season so far, IMHO, all Garland has proven he's capable of one great 1/2 like Baldwin in 2000. Buehrle's the best pitcher on the team. Garcia is #2. Garland is currently #3. Who here can say with certainty that El Duque will be healthy after the All Star Break? Not me.

I'd love for the Sox to get another good starting pitcher (I mentioned Burnett ofschmidt-if he's healthy).

I'd hate to have the problem of planning my 3 man playoff rotation around Buehrle, Garcia, a 20+ game winner in Garland, and Burnett/Schmidt. Life would be so miserable.

Bob

JB98
07-02-2005, 01:48 PM

I disagree with that line of thinking. We are 29 days away from the non-waiver trading deadline, and I think it's perfectly valid that we have a discussion about what moves we need to make, if any, in order to make some noise in the postseason. Right now, we are in a situation where we will make the playoffs if we play .500 ball for the remainder of the year. I'm confident we can manage that, especially with the pitching we are getting from the top three men in our rotation. We have 84 games remaining. If we go 42-42, we'll finish 95-67. That will be enough to hold off Minnesota and Cleveland.

I think everyone is worried about starting pitching just because JC is struggling right now. Personally, I don't think we need a starter. As PHG correctly notes, you don't need five starters to win in the playoffs. The rotation we have now is good enough to get us into the postseason, and our top three are good enough to lead us to a championship. I'm also optimistic that El Duque will be ready to pitch in a Game 4 situation. He was always there for the Yankees when it mattered, and he'll be there for us too.

Now, about that bullpen. I think that is the area KW should upgrade. Marte is ouchy and erratic. Vizcaino and Shingo have been up and down all year. Cotts has been a godsend, but he's still an inexperienced pitcher. How will he react in the spotlight of the postseason? I have all the confidence in the world in Politte and Hermanson. On the whole, it's a good bullpen, but I think we're one experienced set-up man away from having the bullpen we need to win a championship.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2005, 01:51 PM
wow in the words of hawk I say to this thread "same song, different verse", but anyways I think contreras's performance last night proved to kenny he needs another starter, just depends on who he's looking for

Falstaff
07-02-2005, 01:51 PM
the trade to make:
Contreras+Everett and get back Ben Sheets, PTNL
= answer to probs as this would give BP some rest:wink:

JB98
07-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm sure looking forward to the playoff game where one of our big 3 struggles in the 4/5th inning and in from the bullpen comes JC.

You only need 3 guys to start games in the playoffs. But you're right, the situation might arise where the Sox need to bring in their 4th or 5th starter to relieve.

As much as it's been a feel good season so far, IMHO, all Garland has proven he's capable of one great 1/2 like Baldwin in 2000. Buehrle's the best pitcher on the team. Garcia is #2. Garland is currently #3. Who here can say with certainty that El Duque will be healthy after the All Star Break? Not me.

I'd love for the Sox to get another good starting pitcher (I mentioned Burnett ofschmidt-if he's healthy).

I'd hate to have the problem of planning my 3 man playoff rotation around Buehrle, Garcia, a 20+ game winner in Garland, and Burnett/Schmidt. Life would be so miserable.

Bob

Bob, I really feel we should concentrate on adding depth to our bullpen. That will protect us against the scenario you brought up, one of our top three struggling in a playoff game. If you have a deep bullpen, you can hand the ball to a quality reliever in the fourth or fifth inning, instead of a guy like JC. If JC is struggling like he is now in October, he's nothing more than a mop-up man.

Don't get me wrong. I won't be angry if KW brings Burnett or Schmidt in here. I just think the price will be high for those guys, and I'd rather not part with Anderson or McCarthy to get an injury-prone rental pitcher that we won't necessarily need. Given the way our top three are pitching, it's hardly a situation of desperation for KW, so why do something desperate?

JB98
07-02-2005, 02:06 PM
the trade to make:

Everett is untouchable as far as I'm concerned. He's arguably our best clutch hitter, and he's our insurance policy for Frank, who now wears the label of injury-prone. This team needs Carl.

Milwaukee isn't going to take Contreras' contract. Forget about it.

JB98
07-02-2005, 02:07 PM
wow in the words of hawk I say to this thread "same song, different verse", but anyways I think contreras's performance last night proved to kenny he needs another starter, just depends on who he's looking for

Unless one of our top three gets injured, we don't need another starter. See my previous posts.

fquaye149
07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
the trade to make:

Yeah the Brewers would love to downgrade in the rotation and in the outfield and pick up a ton of contract obligation.

All over Milwaukee, Cheeseheads are saying "DOUG MELVIN - MAKE THIS TRADE"

ShoelessJoeS
07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
its not so much that its only july 2nd, its more wishful thinking before the trade deadline...its not like we can make the playoffs then make a big trade, if need be

Joosh
07-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Deuce

A good GM right now needs to look forward, interpret where we need help, and get it done.

I believe we are set on Power right now. However, we could use another Starter. Someone who could come cheap would be Mark Redman. Thats the most realistic trade I see happening.

"Its only July 2nd," means only 28 days till the trade deadline. We can't just sit on ours butts till that last week before the deadline, and I know Kenny wont.

We'll just have to wait and see.

JB98
07-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Yeah the Brewers would love to downgrade in the rotation and in the outfield and pick up a ton of contract obligation.

All over Milwaukee, Cheeseheads are saying "DOUG MELVIN - MAKE THIS TRADE"

Well, Everett is a better player than Jenkins. I don't know if it's a downgrade in the outfield for them. But exchanging Sheets for Contreras definitely makes no sense, in terms of performance or in terms of money.

It seems like everyone in this thread wants KW to add a starter. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why.
:?:

Palehose13
07-02-2005, 09:10 PM
It seems like everyone in this thread wants KW to add a starter. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why.
:?:

We don't need another stinkin' starter. Like others have pointed out this will be the playoff rotation: Buehrle, Garcia, Garland.

JB98
07-02-2005, 09:12 PM
We don't need another stinkin' starter. Like others have pointed out this will be the playoff rotation: Buehrle, Garcia, Garland.

Exactly. Our starters are a combined 40-15. That's the strength of the team. You make trades to shore up weaknesses.

Palehose13
07-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Exactly. Our starters are a combined 40-15. That's the strength of the team. You make trades to shore up weaknesses.

In all honesty, I'm pretty happy with the current team. I would love a stud third baseman, but I feel that Crede as the only real weak spot among the starting position players is not such a bad thing. If KW makes a trade, i think it should be to strength the bullpen, but for once in my life, I'll be just fine if KW doesn't make a move.

JB98
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
In all honesty, I'm pretty happy with the current team. I would love a stud third baseman, but I feel that Crede as the only real weak spot among the starting position players is not such a bad thing. If KW makes a trade, i think it should be to strength the bullpen, but for once in my life, I'll be just fine if KW doesn't make a move.

You and I are pretty much on the same page. Our bullpen will be fine if Shingo and Viz every find some consistency. I have my doubts, so I hope KW gets a relief pitcher. But if he doesn't, I still feel confident in our chances.

White Sox Josh
07-02-2005, 10:06 PM
You and I are pretty much on the same page. Our bullpen will be fine if Shingo and Viz every find some consistency. I have my doubts, so I hope KW gets a relief pitcher. But if he doesn't, I still feel confident in our chances.i think it is just Vizcaino that needs to find his consistency and real quick to. It is interesting though because in the playoffs I would actually trust Shingo more than Hermanson. The reason is because of his success in japan in the postseason and Hermanson has never really been in the postseason at all. In Japan the playoffs are also just as much pressure situations as they are here. If anyone wants to find this stuff out just read either "The Samurai Way of Baseball" or "The Meaning of Ichiro".

BeviBall!
07-02-2005, 11:22 PM
I disagree with that line of thinking. We are 29 days away from the non-waiver trading deadline, and I think it's perfectly valid that we have a discussion about what moves we need to make, if any, in order to make some noise in the postseason.

Let's call it Playoff Push Moves. Much bigger leads have been blown... and we still have a baker's dozen with Minneapolis.

lostletters
07-02-2005, 11:23 PM
They really could use another starter...but the list begins and ends there.

The Sox DO NOT NEED another bat. Cut Timo, bring back Gload. The clubhouse atmosphere is to good to bring in another bat. Plus what do we need. I think the current hitting lineup is good.

Also if we were to get another starter it should NOT be Schmidt.

I think Burnett or Oswalt would be IDEAL. Oswalt especially.

FloridaSox
07-02-2005, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=lostletters]They really could use another starter...but the list begins and ends there.

The Sox DO NOT NEED another bat. ...I think the current hitting lineup is good.
{QUOTE]

Our current offense in AL stats is 10th in BA, 12 in OBP, 6th in SLG, tied for 4th in HRs, 1st in SB, all of which adds up to 7th in runs scored. Yes, we can use more bat, particulary of the OBP type.

Tragg
07-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Sox need another starter and possibly another bat...buy definitely a starter...

Does anyone want to see Contreras go near a baseball in the post season. Hernandez is unreliable heath-wise and don't even mention McCarthy.

As always, I have supreme confidence in KW to make the trade we need:wink:. I don't care who he lands or who he trades.

If not this year...WHEN? :gulp: You basically need 3 starters for the playoffs. So why do we need another one for the playoffs?

AJPosguchi
07-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Right. You use only 4 starters in the playoffs, and the fourth guy doesn't even start that much. Hernandez will be in the mix. That's why he's on the team - he's money in the playoffs. I don't know what they're going to do with Contreras. He's not exactly the kind of guy I want to see walking in from the bullpen in late-inning situations.

Well said, I'm not concerned about winning the Division, we have 3 Cy Young candidates pitching every 3 of 5 days with a 9.5 game lead right now. We just need El Duque for the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2005, 12:02 AM
With Contreras inconsistent, Hernandez 'iffy' until he proves otherwise and McCarthy inexperienced I advocate another starter for the back end of the rotation / long relief (is Tim Belcher still playing?? LOL)

Second option given Marte's status, and the struggles of Shingo and Luis, another 'power' arm for the bullpen.

Third option a left handed bat with some pop to balance off the right handers in the lineup.

Lip

JB98
07-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Let's call it Playoff Push Moves. Much bigger leads have been blown... and we still have a baker's dozen with Minneapolis.

And they'd have to win about 11 of the 13 to catch us. It won't happen unless we have a rash of injuries.

RadioheadRocks
07-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Speaking just for myself, I'm gonna need TICKETS!!! :D:

DaleJRFan
07-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Before we all plan our "KW traded Jose Contreras and a bag of balls for Jason Schmidt" parties... can we all please remember that JC has a no-trade clause?? It would be very difficult to move him right now.

I agree with what just about everyone has said... Buehrle, Garcia, Garland would be a pretty scary 1-2-3 in any series... But I can't stand watching him anymore.

I knew things were very, very, very bad when AJ slammed his mask to the ground after the third wild pitch.

Mammoo
07-03-2005, 11:25 AM
You basically need 3 starters for the playoffs. So why do we need another one for the playoffs?

The Sox need another starter...plain and simple...I'll take pitching over hitting...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2005, 11:31 AM
The Sox need another starter...plain and simple...I'll take pitching over hitting...

And that's why the White Sox have won 26 world championships... oh, wait.

Fredsox
07-03-2005, 12:02 PM

I must differ with statement and invite the wrath of the group upon myself. It is not "plain and simple" that the Sox need another starter. As has been stated by others on this thread you need 5 starters to get to the playoffs, but only 3 once you get there. In that light I would have to say that I am comfortable with our current starting pitching and our 3.46 ERA.

My frustrations with the team (albeit very few, thankfully) has been the inconssistent hitting. We have been largely effective in scoring runs as evidenced by our .259 team batting average (ranks 22nd in MLB) but we are 10th in runs scored. That's pretty impressive. Can we keep it up? Uribe and Crede are the epitome of streak-hitters, Paulie and Frank will crush the ball but only hit .250, out best hitters average-wise are hitting no more than .280.

I think we are more consistent with our pitching than our hitting, and so I would like to see us add additional bats. I'm sorry, Gload doesn't do anything for me. Find me another proven hitter who can give Paulie a break at 1st and play a little outfield.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2005, 01:58 PM
For what it's worth, this was in Peter Gammons column today:

"Two teams, the White Sox and Orioles, sent scouts to Arizona on Tuesday specifically to see Schmidt; all the other scouts were on regular coverage."

Lip

soxfanreggie
07-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I want to agree with those that we might not need to add a pitcher as much as we need to add a stick. The D-Backs won the series basically on 2 pitchers...Johnson and Schilling. Now, we have 3 pitchers, Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia, who I'm confident can get it done. We rest up Hernandez as much as possible and he becomes the 4th starter for us with some of the best playoff stuff. Throw JC in the pen with Politte, Hermie, and Cotts who have been amazing. If Shingo continues to improve, his change of style could be devastating for the opposition like it was last year. If Viz can step it up or we add another arm, our pitching could be devastating. That stick could really help us get up on teams where we only have to pitch a starter 6 innings and can have the pen take over. That way, we don't put as much strain on them.

Also, Contreras could go many innings as a reliever if needed. We just need him to be in the right mindset.

To add to the Schmidt part, we'd be morons if we didn't at least check him out. With him, you'd have a bunch of guys with #1 stuff that could get it done. If one is struggling, don't worry, we have other guys who could step in.

sthbndsox
07-03-2005, 03:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing we need is another quality starting pitcher. I can't stand watching Contreras go out there and walk every other batter, and that won't get it done in the playoffs. And who knows if El Duque will be healthy? If he is healthy though, I think we'll be alright.

HomeFish
07-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd say that winning the division is a pretty big need for the playoffs.

Apart from that (or the Wildcard), I'd agree with the majority view that another top-notch starter would be most useful. The beautiful thing about getting another starter is that it essentially kills two birds with one stone; not only do you seriously upgrade your defense, but you can then bump the replaced starter into the bullpen, filling a hole there.

Given how overpriced most elite relievers will be this trade season, it would be great for us.

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd say that winning the division is a pretty big need for the playoffs.

Apart from that (or the Wildcard), I'd agree with the majority view that another top-notch starter would be most useful. The beautiful thing about getting another starter is that it essentially kills two birds with one stone; not only do you seriously upgrade your defense, but you can then bump the replaced starter into the bullpen, filling a hole there.

Given how overpriced most elite relievers will be this trade season, it would be great for us.Welcome back. I really think a decent starter who you could piggyback with El Duque would be fine. El Duque is lights out in the playoffs.

Chisox003
07-03-2005, 05:44 PM
El Duque was lights out in the playoffs at one point in his career. So was Cy Young, yet I would not want him pitching for me today. (We complain enough about corpseball, imagine if we had the real thing) An exageration, of course, but the lesson remains: the el duque of old, even of last year, may not be the el duque of today. People age, abilities decrease.

I'm not confident about our pitching staff in the playoffs. A top-notch starter would increase that confidence.

Welcome back, Homefish

:chickenlittle

Palehose13
07-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Welcome back, Homefish

:chickenlittle

:roflmao:

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2005, 07:10 PM
With Contreras inconsistent, Hernandez 'iffy' until he proves otherwise and McCarthy inexperienced I advocate another starter for the back end of the rotation / long relief (is Tim Belcher still playing?? LOL)

Second option given Marte's status, and the struggles of Shingo and Luis, another 'power' arm for the bullpen.

Third option a left handed bat with some pop to balance off the right handers in the lineup.

Lip

Agreed on all three counts.

Mammoo
07-03-2005, 07:20 PM
You basically need 3 starters for the playoffs. So why do we need another one for the playoffs?

If the Jason Schmidt rumors are true...it appears Kenny Williams agrees with me!!!:bandance: