PDA

View Full Version : formy first post i give you........

Bloddy Idiot now banned
07-02-2005, 02:12 AM
trivia question

name the two hall of famers that never played baseball

I have been reading all of your post for a while, and I am real happy to join your forum.:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Capital letters have a purpose.

Define "Hall of Famers." The "Broadcasters' Wing" is full of people who never played the game. There are also people like Connie Mack and John McGraw, who managed and owned teams, but never played.

MIgrenade
07-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Welcome aboard!

By the way, something about that user name screams we are in for some odd posting.

Baby Fisk
07-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Bloddy? :?:

RKMeibalane
07-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I give him two days before he gets banned.

TornLabrum
07-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Capital letters have a purpose.

Define "Hall of Famers." The "Broadcasters' Wing" is full of people who never played the game. There are also people like Connie Mack and John McGraw, who managed and owned teams, but never played.

McGraw and Mack both played in the 19th century. McGraw with the Baltimore Orioles (NL) and the NY Giants, and Mack with Washington (NL), Buffalo (PL), and Pittsburgh (NL). McGraw got into games as late as 1906.

SOXfnNlansing
07-02-2005, 06:25 PM
abbot and costello

Chisox003
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM
trivia question

name the two hall of famers that never played baseball

I have been reading all of your post for a while, and I am real happy to join your forum.:bandance:

:thud:

jake27
07-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Bloddy? :?: just think aboout it... youll get it

BridgePortNative
07-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow...............what a name...............:?:

Stroker Ace
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow...............what a name...............:?:I think we have a new leader when it comes to odd user names.

Jerko
07-02-2005, 10:45 PM
I think the guy had a few too many bloddy marys before he thought up that user name.

jake27
07-03-2005, 12:21 AM
ill admit it, i love the name, its hilarious

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2005, 01:25 AM
McGraw and Mack both played in the 19th century. McGraw with the Baltimore Orioles (NL) and the NY Giants, and Mack with Washington (NL), Buffalo (PL), and Pittsburgh (NL). McGraw got into games as late as 1906.Sloppy fact checking on my part. I went to Baseball Reference and put in their names, and all I got was managerial records. I didn't notice the "playing record" link to click on. I've never claimed to be a baseball historian. :redface:

Whitesox029
07-04-2005, 02:10 AM
abbot and costello
I believe this is what our new friend was looking for. Abbott and Costello are Hall of Famers for their "Who's On First?" routine.

TornLabrum
07-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I believe this is what our new friend was looking for. Abbott and Costello are Hall of Famers for their "Who's On First?" routine.

The problem is that this is also incorrect. The question has been rephrased from what it normally says, but as the HOF notes, Abbott & Costello are not Hall of Famers:

Who are the only members of the Hall of Fame that have nothing to do with baseball?

We often hear baseball fans ask the following trivia question: "Who are the only members of the Hall of Fame that have nothing to do with baseball?" The supposed answer is "Bud Abbott and Lou Costello." Actually, that answer isn't quite correct. Abbott and Costello are not members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, though the comedy duo is featured in our museum.

For a complete list of Hall of Famers, please check out our Hall of Famer Lists (http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/lists/index.htm) web page. Furthermore, Abbott and Costello most certainly have a lot to do with baseball as they made popular one of the most famous and beloved comedy routines of all time: "Who's on First?"

Even then the statement is incorrect, at least insofar as playing at the major league level is concerned. A number of HOFers elected as executives and pioneers, several men elected as umpires, and three men elected as managers never played at the major league level and some not even at the minor league level.

DrCrawdad
07-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Blody Beaver? What's next Severed Unit?

TornLabrum
07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Blody Beaver? What's next Severed Unit?

That would be Bobbitized Unit.

mealfred13
07-04-2005, 07:48 PM
What's next Severed Unit?

If you're talking about Randy Johnson's performance this year...

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
do they have a separite wing for comedians?

how about putting the Marx Bros in the football or horse racing halls?