PDA

View Full Version : AA vs AAA callups?

Parrothead
07-02-2005, 02:21 AM
I am not sure this is in the right place anyway........

Years ago teams would bring up thier best prospects from AA (CWS - Thomas, Ventura, ect...). However, now they seem to bring them up from AAA. Why and when did that change? AAA used to be for rehab and for guys who were not good enough for MLB and slight better than AA.

chaerulez
07-02-2005, 02:43 AM
There's still room on AAA rosters for true prospects to be part of the team. True AAA is full of has been veterans, rehab assignments, or "AAAA" players... but a lot of players now progress through all 3 levels (or sometimes 4 if you count rookie ball), before they get a shot at the big leagues. That's not to say low level callups don't happen... Pujulos being a good example. Miguel Caberea I believe was another that made the jump from AA. Mark Prior I think never pitched in AAA until his rehab stint this year.

ChiSoxRowand
07-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Cotts didn't pitch in AAA and neither did Buehrle. We also called up Munoz and Bajaneru last year without them pitching in AAA.

doublem23
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Cotts didn't pitch in AA and neither did Buehrle. We also called up Munoz and Bajaneru last year without them pitching in AA.

You're missing an "A." :D:

ChiSoxRowand
07-02-2005, 03:41 PM
You're missing an "A." :D:

Fixed.:D:

Mr. White Sox
07-02-2005, 04:30 PM
I also think Jeremy Bonderman was called up from 'A' ball a couple of years back.

chaerulez
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I also think Jeremy Bonderman was called up from 'A' ball a couple of years back.

Maroth I think might have skipped AAA as well.

Parrothead
07-03-2005, 12:40 PM
There's still room on AAA rosters for true prospects to be part of the team. True AAA is full of has been veterans, rehab assignments, or "AAAA" players... but a lot of players now progress through all 3 levels (or sometimes 4 if you count rookie ball), before they get a shot at the big leagues. That's not to say low level callups don't happen... Pujulos being a good example. Miguel Caberea I believe was another that made the jump from AA. Mark Prior I think never pitched in AAA until his rehab stint this year.

This the type of thing I am talking about.....Many of the good players coming from AA or lower. So why now do the Sox have to bring up the guys from AAA or really don't have guys that can't make the jump. I don't get it. What other "studs" have made the jump?

maurice
07-05-2005, 02:46 PM
It appears that the Sox have called up Jenks straight from AA.

Rex Hudler
07-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't believe there is a change in any trend. It really just depends on what that particular organization needs at the big league level at the time. If there is no place on the big league roster, then a player will continue on to AAA. If the timing is right and he is performing, he'll still get the call in AA.