PDA

View Full Version : MLB Changes HR Derby Format

Rocklive99
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Maybe the best idea would be to get rid of it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3732222

Key points

Instead of having four players from each league, the commissioner's office said Friday it will have eight players represent their native countries at the July 11 event. Major league baseball plans to formally launch plans that day for its first World Baseball Classic, a 16-team event during spring training next year.

JermaineDye05
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
i wonder who will be representing

mdep524
07-01-2005, 05:28 PM
i wonder who will be representing Honestly, I couldn't care less. Like the Slam Dunk Competition in the NBA, the HR Derby is such a yawn these days. I think they should make it a once-ever-three-years event to make it "special" again.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less. Like the Slam Dunk Competition in the NBA, the HR Derby is such a yawn these days. I think they should make it a once-ever-three-years event to make it "special" again.

If they want to make it special again, they should require players to participate. The days of seeing the league leaders in the 'Derby are long gone. Has it been only eleven years since we got to see Frank, Griffey, Belle, etc all compete. Nowadays, half of the starters beg out of the contest, leaving only the second-tier power hitters to participate.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 05:49 PM
:nandrolone
"As long as they don't take out the a-steroids I'm okay with it!"

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 06:00 PM
gonna be interesting to see how many home runs are hit considering this is the toughest hitters park in the AL.

NSSoxFan
07-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see Ivan Rodriguez give the HR Derby a go.

Man, it was funny seeing all those warning track shots the last couple of days. Gee, wonder why...

mdep524
07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
If they want to make it special again, they should require players to participate. The days of seeing the league leaders in the 'Derby are long gone. Has it been only eleven years since we got to see Frank, Griffey, Belle, etc all compete. Nowadays, half of the starters beg out of the contest, leaving only the second-tier power hitters to participate. You're right. Maybe if the event only occurred once every few years the elite superstars would be more willing to participate?

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
i wonder who will be representingUSA: Mark Teixeira
DR: Albert Pujols
PR: Carlos Delgado
Venezuela: Bobby Abreu
Netherlands: Andruw Jones
Panama: Carlos Lee
Mexico: Jorge Cantu(12 HR)
Canada: Jason Bay

batmanZoSo
07-01-2005, 06:43 PM
gonna be interesting to see how many home runs are hit considering this is the toughest hitters park in the AL.

It's so tiring to hear Berman and Mike Piazza or whoever drone on and on every single year about the quirks of whatever park happens to be hosting the event. I look forward to hearing back, back, back, ohhhhhhh...he hit it to center, the wrong place to try to go yard here let me tell you...it's four hundred and twenty feet out there.

MIgrenade
07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
This is such a crappy idea. All that's left is to get rid of the leagues and the transformation to crap will be complete.

tschneid83
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
If I was a player I would never do it for fear of messing up my swing. Hitters have a hard enough time staying consistant through the year. I dont want to go swing as hard as I can for so many numbers of pitches just to please a crowd for a couple of hours.

I myself would rather have an NHL setup. Have the game as always but work in some type of skills competition. Like having the fastest runners try and score on some of the best arms. I dont know have not really thought this out but just my 2 cents.

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 07:13 PM
If I was a player I would never do it for fear of messing up my swing. Hitters have a hard enough time staying consistant through the year. I dont want to go swing as hard as I can for so many numbers of pitches just to please a crowd for a couple of hours.

I myself would rather have an NHL setup. Have the game as always but work in some type of skills competition. Like having the fastest runners try and score on some of the best arms. I dont know have not really thought this out but just my 2 cents.That's what happened to Konerko in 02. It totally screwed up his swing and he didn't have a very good 2nd half in 02.

Stroker Ace
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow. What an awful format for a boring event.

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2005, 08:11 PM
USA: Mark Teixeira

Take out Mexico or Canada and put in Japan: Hideki Matsui

And yes, this is a stupid idea. Give the players a $10K bonus or whatnot to participate; $50K to the winner...that should get more involved...and make sure the players in the HR Derby are the MLB leaders.

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Take out Mexico or Canada and put in Japan: Hideki Matsui

And yes, this is a stupid idea. Give the players a $10K bonus or whatnot to participate; $50K to the winner...that should get more involved...and make sure the players in the HR Derby are the MLB leaders.The problem is that both Bay and Cantu would make the All Star Team because of the rule of 1 rep from each team. The Yankees will already have some reps and those 2 are probably the most deserving from their own teams. I agree this is stupid.

Fenway
07-01-2005, 08:59 PM
They could have Randy Johnson pitch :smile:

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2005, 09:04 PM
The problem is that both Bay and Cantu would make the All Star Team because of the rule of 1 rep from each team. The Yankees will already have some reps and those 2 are probably the most deserving from their own teams. I agree this is stupid.

I don't know if I'm right here, but do the HR Derbiers have to be on the All-Star team? And Was PK on the 2002 team?

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I don't know if I'm right here, but do the HR Derbiers have to be on the All-Star team? And Was PK on the 2002 team?yes and yes.

Daver
07-01-2005, 09:14 PM
It would be refreshing if MLB did something positive, like do away with the whole damn thing and have the AAA and AA AllStar games instead.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2005, 09:23 PM
That's what happened to Konerko in 02. It totally screwed up his swing and he didn't have a very good 2nd half in 02.

Frank had the same thing happen in '95. He said he kept popping balls up for two weeks afterwards.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2005, 09:23 PM
It would be refreshing if MLB did something positive, like do away with the whole damn thing and have the AAA and AA AllStar games instead.

Bud Selig isn't smart enough to understand what you just said.

hellenicsoxfan
07-01-2005, 09:30 PM
USA: Mark Teixeira

:nandrolone

"They picked Pujols over me for Dominican Republic? I'm the greatest player in the history of the game! I saved baseball! I cork my bat to put on good show for all my fans! I juice up to put on good show for my fans! How could they! I saved baseball!!! Wah-Wah-Wah!"

ChiSoxRowand
07-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't know if I'm right here, but do the HR Derbiers have to be on the All-Star team? And Was PK on the 2002 team?

I think you do, but Rafael Palmeiro was in the HR derby last year and he didn't make the team. I think he was in it because they were celebrating the 500 home run milestone and he has 500.

buehrle4cy05
07-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Watching El Caballo in the Home Run Derby would make it bearable.:D:

Rocklive99
07-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I think White Sox Josh is mistaken, you don't have to be on the allstar team to participate in the HR Derby, I think it's just that most the people decline, and most of the

I think Sosa put the nail in the coffin on this event when he basically admitted to using corked bats during these. Also, it's real ironic when watching the old ones on ESPN and seeing Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, and Giambi battle it out, with other players including Luis Gonzalez and Bret Boone, all proven or suspected cheaters, while some people wonder why Hank Blalock can't hit 14 in a round

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I think White Sox Josh is mistaken, you don't have to be on the allstar team to participate in the HR Derby, I think it's just that most the people decline, and most of the

I think Sosa put the nail in the coffin on this event when he basically admitted to using corked bats during these. Also, it's real ironic when watching the old ones on ESPN and seeing Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, and Giambi battle it out, with other players including Luis Gonzalez and Bret Boone, all proven or suspected cheaters, while some people wonder why Hank Blalock can't hit 14 in a roundyeah you do. The only time that happened was for Palmeiro last year because they wanted all 500 HR guys.

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
List has been released:

Ivan Rodriguez
David Ortiz
Jason Bay
Carlos Lee
Bobby Abreu
Andrew Jones

StockdaleForVeep
07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
This is similar to the garbage the NHL ran to get good PR when they did north america vs the world

Does MLB WANT to display how most the the prolific players currently playing are non US born? Plus you take out alot of good hitters because there are so many good hr hitters from one country and not enuff from another

Hell why not just make the all star game international while we're at it.

soltrain21
07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
A skills competition would be so much cooler. Like the NHL does.

I would love to see pitchers hitting markers in the strikezone and players showing off their arm in the outfield by putting a ball in some sort of bucket target positioned at home.

Alanzo XXXVIII
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Does MLB WANT to display how most the the prolific players currently playing are non US born?

What's the problem with that?
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/immigration/know-nothing-flag.jpg

Sonik22
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
i would like to see the nhl type thing.

Tejada has to be in the HRD

StockdaleForVeep
07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
What's the problem with that?
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/immigration/know-nothing-flag.jpg

Well with the concept of the world cup of baseball starting, i dont think thats a good message to send.