PDA

View Full Version : 20 game suspension for Kenny Rogers!

The Dude
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
wow! breaking news
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8612176 (http://www.sportsline.com/)

cleanwsox
07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Setting a precedent I guess. How does this affect his All-Star selection?

Madvora
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
He Gawn!
It would be a travesty if he still got to pitch in the All-Star game. Then again, I would never know either way.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 03:51 PM

:tealpolice:

miker
07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Wow, that's 10 games per cameraman! How many games for a beat reporter or a columnist?

StillMissOzzie
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
My guess is that he will appeal and get it reduced to 15, which was my guess in the first place. That means that he'd probably miss 3 starts.

SMO
:gulp:

irish rover
07-01-2005, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rangersrogers&prov=st&type=lgns

samram
07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Without those "little bastards," you would have no idea what was happening with the White Sox. No newspaper, radio, or TV coverage.

But feel free to continue slandering people who are just doing therir jobs.

Pretty much stole my post, JRIG.:D:

As for the suspension, it should have been at least 50 games. Sorry, but you can't assault people just because you're having a bad day due to your inability to pitch in your team's biggest series of the year because you have anger managment problems. Hell, it's not like the cameraman was in the locker room- he was on the field just showing guys walking around the field. Screw you, Kenny.

ilsox7
07-01-2005, 04:30 PM
He Gawn!
It would be a travesty if he still got to pitch in the All-Star game. Then again, I would never know either way.

He is stil elgible. But boy is he gonna get booed if he goes.

Boo-urns.

TheOldRoman
07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
I think this is very reasonable. It will likely be reduced with an appeal, and as it is, he is only missing 4 starts.

doublem23
07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
And now presenting your 2005 A.L. West Champs...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/gameupdate/i/teams/laa.gif

Cubbiesuck13
07-01-2005, 04:39 PM

I don't think that would be any different if Rogers didn't miss four starts for being an idiot or even for two starts for punching a cooler. Angels are the better team with or without Rogers.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM

he wont make the AS game. thats a gurantee. why would bud or anyone associated with the event want him there now?

like i said before, this is great news for buehrle. rogers was one of his main candidates to start the all-star game for the AL. now that he's gone, it's down to halladay and buehrle (maybe garland). halladay might still be ahead but if buehrle keeps up what he's doing for two more starts and halladay has 1 bad start, buehrle should be the hands down starter.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 05:02 PM
That could open up a spot for Freddy Garcia....you never know.

Lip

mccoydp
07-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Kenny Rogers: big-time pitcher, and a big-time jerk.

Good riddance.

It should have been for the rest of the season.

CallMeNuts
07-01-2005, 05:28 PM
I think that's a little harsh. At worst he should get a 10 game suspension and a heavy fine. It's not like he hurt the guy. It made me laugh when they said that the cameraman had to go to the hospital afterwards. Are you kidding me? Talk about BS, did you see the fight, there is no way he got hurt. The only thing that got hurt was his expensive camera. The little bastard should have walked away after Kenny first pushed him, but no he put the camera right back up in his face. I am not trying to say what Kenny did was allright, but this cameraman is BS, he just wants money and a little attention.

Kenny lost his temper, but how can you blame him with all those little bastards running around sticking cameras in your face. What he did was stupid and showed a lack of self-control, but honestly I could see myself acting the same way.

Kenny should get jail time for this. And whatever he loses in the Civil Suite the cameramen file, he deserves to lose.

ilsox7
07-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I think it's safe the say that The Gambler did NOT break even this time around. :cool:

Cubbiesuck13
07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Kenny should get jail time for this. And whatever he loses in the Civil Suite the cameramen file, he deserves to lose.

You are nuts. Jail time? He didn't beat him up. What he did was uncalled for and I am not justifying it. The suspension is enough.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 05:42 PM
You are nuts. Jail time? He didn't beat him up. What he did was uncalled for and I am not justifying it. The suspension is enough.

Assault and battery. Not brutal enough to deserve jail time but still a criminal offense.

It could be worse for Rogers. A lot worse. If he did that on the street he most definitely would have landed in jail. I'll be satisfied if he gets his ass sued.

I'm guessing Rogers has been popping extra greenies this season. Serves him right to suffer.

Foulke You
07-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Ok, Sammy gets 7 games for using a corked bat and that Twins reliever got 10 games for testing positive for steroids but Rogers losing his cool and lightly pushing a camera man gets 20 games? Is it me, or does MLB's suspension policies make little sense.:?:

ilsox7
07-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Ok, Sammy gets 7 games for using a corked bat and that Twins reliever got 10 games for testing positive for steroids but Rogers losing his cool and lightly pushing a camera man gets 20 games? Is it me, or does MLB's suspension policies make little sense.:?:

Wow, that was lightly pushing someone to you? And the kicking of the camera? He will be charged with a crime.

Also, 20 games for a pitcher is the same as 5 for a position player.

Fredsox
07-01-2005, 06:09 PM

If you or I did what he did we'd be in jail right now. I would have to think that describing his actions as "lightly pushing a camera man" is being generous. He shoved him, he threw his camera down on the ground, he assaulted the man plain and simple. Given his past behavior he has issues controlling his temper and I would suspect that the judge in the case (if and when any criminal charges are filed) will be talking to him about seeing a a therapist.

JMHO.

NealCotts4Life
07-01-2005, 06:15 PM
According to Pardon the Interuption Kenny can still be selected to the All-Star Game.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
According to the video of the most blatant assault, it was no "little push." Not only did he knock the camera off the cameraman's shoulder, he lifted it up and pushed it over the man's head and slammed it to the ground. These broadcast cameras are at least 20 pounds; they're not typical home mini-cams or even prosumer Mini-DV cameras like the Canon XL1. These cameras are supported on the right shoulder. The camera went up and then spun around before being forced to the ground. Rogers could have broken the guy's neck. This clearly was no "little push."

Rogers clearly is an absolute puke-face, but there's no question that he's a loyal teammate and a good clubhouse guy, even if he is a psychotic jerk when dealing with the media. I'd still like to have him as the White Sox' fourth starter. That does not mean I condone his actions; I think he deserves a 50-game suspension without pay and hard time and he should have to pay the cameraman's medical costs. Still, it would be nice to have that sterling ERA, experience and ability to eat innings in the Sox' rotation.
:?:

Spicoli
07-01-2005, 06:58 PM

You're equating breaking the rules of the game (corked bat) with physical assault?:?:

RedPinStripes
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Exactly. Kenny Rogers has to be one of the dumbest men alive. I get the feeling this will cost them a playoff spot. And I don't think it's too harsh. He went way out of his way to be an ******* and make MLB look bad.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-01-2005, 07:15 PM
According to Pardon the Interuption Kenny can still be selected to the All-Star Game.

I don't think you can get banned from an ASG for any reason unless you are banned from the sport itself or you are suspended during the ASG. Guess what? He will be suspended during that time. Not only that, but I have a feeling Bud Selig will tell Terry Francona to not even think about picking up Kenny Rogers. Serves him right.

Here's a list of SP'ers that should make it...

Roy Halladay
Mark Buehrle
Rich Harden
Jon Garland
Bartolo Colon
Freddy Garcia
Matt Clement
Johan Santana
Cliff Lee

I do not know how many they will take and I'm probably forgetting a few guys that should get mentioned, but these 9 sure do deserve being mentioned.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Exactly. Kenny Rogers has to be one of the dumbest men alive. I get the feeling this will cost them a playoff spot. And I don't think it's too harsh. He went way out of his way to be an ******* and make MLB look bad.

The Rangers have been self-destructing lately, well before Rogers melted down. In fact, while it does not excuse his deplorable actions, I believe Rogers melted down because he's not happy with the Rangers' recent poor play and some very questionable decisions.

While their offense is dangerous, it's been horribly inconsistent, much like the 2001-2003 White Sox offense. When the Sox played them in Texas, the Rangers were in the midst of a phenomenal hot streak (while the Angels' Vlad Guerrero was injured). They really are not as good as their stats would seem to indicate. They are not a playoff-caliber team. The only way they can make it is if the Angels completely implode, unless the Rangers commit hari-kari first.

Buck Showalter decided he didn't like Ryan Drese and just decided to release him. Rogers liked Drese a lot and disagreed with the decision. Rogers since has been proven right with Drese's excellent performances with Washington. Then Buck decided to release Chad Allen, a talented 25th man who could play multiple positions and hit left-handed pitching well, another puzzling move. A number of Dallas-area reporters and columnists have questioned some of these and other moves that Showalter has made. (Buck even showed up in the Rangers' draft "war room" to try to dictate who the team should draft.)

Buck is a control freak (John Hart is so much a "GM in name only" that an area columnist regularly calls him the "Empty Golf Shirt") and his excessive micromanagement is beginning to wear on the players - not just Rogers. The Rangers are going nowhere, just like the 2001-2003 White Sox.

Stroker Ace
07-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Anything less that 30 is laughable. This will only give him time to heat his broken hand. Way to blow it Selig!

RedPinStripes
07-01-2005, 07:27 PM
The Rangers have been self-destructing lately, well before Rogers melted down. In fact, while it does not excuse his deplorable actions, I believe Rogers melted down because he's not happy with the Rangers' recent poor play and some very questionable decisions.

While their offense is dangerous, it's been horribly inconsistent, much like the 2001-2003 White Sox offense. When the Sox played them in Texas, the Rangers were in the midst of a phenomenal hot streak (while the Angels' Vlad Guerrero was injured). They really are not as good as their stats would seem to indicate. They are not a playoff-caliber team. The only way they can make it is if the Angels completely implode, unless the Rangers commit hari-kari first.

Buck Showalter decided he didn't like Ryan Drese and just decided to release him. Rogers liked Drese a lot and disagreed with the decision. Rogers since has been proven right with Drese's excellent performances with Washington. Then Buck decided to release Chad Allen, a talented 25th man who could play multiple positions and hit left-handed pitching well, another puzzling move. A number of Dallas-area reporters and columnists have questioned some of these and other moves that Showalter has made. (Buck even showed up in the Rangers' draft "war room" to try to dictate who the team should draft.)

Buck is a control freak (John Hart is so much a "GM in name only" that an area columnist regularly calls him the "Empty Golf Shirt") and his excessive micromanagement is beginning to wear on the players - not just Rogers. The Rangers are going nowhere, just like the 2001-2003 White Sox.

That's really sad too. John Hart was a great GM with the Indians. Buck is the smartest and toughest man in baseball, just ask him. It all starts at the top of that organization Tom Hicks has to be somewhat smart to be where he is in life, but that don't make him a baseball man.

Rocklive99
07-01-2005, 07:37 PM
The cameraman reminds me of that construction worker from that one Family Guy episode.

Peter: "I have to draw you!"

Mercy!
07-01-2005, 08:47 PM
From a law enforcement standpoint, Rogers should have been hauled off to his local lock-up in cuffs. At that point, I think he would have deserved to be released on his on recognizance after being charged with simple assault. At trial, he could bring forth all the extenuating circumstances a high-priced lawyer could dream up.

From the standpoint of MLBís professional code of conduct (yeah, right), 20 games and $50K sounds about right.

And I hope that camera guy already has a lawyer working on a nice fat civil suit.

Two other random observations: Didnít Rogers look totally, coldly, IN CONTROL throughout the incident? And didnít the cameraman look a good six inches shorter than Mr. Tough Guy?

ChiSoxRowand
07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Without those "little bastards," you would have no idea what was happening with the White Sox. No newspaper, radio, or TV coverage.

But feel free to continue slandering people who are just doing their jobs.

Plus the players wouldn't have as much exposure and wouldn't be making the money they are making. It's not like they had cameras on the field for some special occasion, there are cameras on the field every day.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Didnít Rogers look totally, coldly, IN CONTROL throughout the incident?

Yes, he did.

chisox56
07-02-2005, 01:00 AM
I don't support what rogers did, but did anyone see the cameraman wink at another cameraman after rogers got restrained, the cameraman said he was just winking at another cameraman

MUsoxfan
07-02-2005, 01:02 AM
The cameraman reminds me of that construction worker from that one Family Guy episode.

Peter: "I have to draw you!"

Wow....I'm not the only one that thought that :o:

doublem23
07-02-2005, 01:09 AM
I don't think that would be any different if Rogers didn't miss four starts for being an idiot or even for two starts for punching a cooler. Angels are the better team with or without Rogers.

Barring any injuries, I figured the Angels would win the West, too, but now without Rogers for 4-5 starts Texas is going to buried in so deep a hole, the Angels could practically not show up the rest of the season and cakewalk to that division. It was a longshot before, but now it's over.

doublem23
07-02-2005, 01:11 AM

Do that outside the park and you'll spend at least one night behind bars.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2005, 01:25 AM
As far as the "wink" he explained that after it was over, he saw another cameraman who looked horrified. He winked at him to relieve his concern. He said he felt fine immediately afterward, it wasn't until later that pain set in. Ever been in a fight? The adrenaline does what it's supposed to: suppress pain. Later, after the adrenaline subsides, is when you feel it.

Twenty games? In a five man rotation, he'd miss four starts at most. He was going to miss a game anyway due to his broken hand. Throw in days off, he probably actually will miss two starts. That's it.

A "little shove?" Did you watch the tape? His first contact was a violent upward shove of the camera. He started walking away, and the guy resumed taping. He did not "put the camera in (Rogers') face". Rogers was twenty feet away and moving away. But he stopped, and again approached the cameraman. He then grabbed the camera and jerked it downward several times before he was able to pull it off the guy's shoulder and to the ground, where he stomped on it. As has been stated, these are substatial, heavy pieces of equipment.

I can tell you a little about Illinois law, having been a cop there for twenty-five years. What I saw would justify criminal charges for misdemeanor battery (physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature, or that causes physical harm) and felony Criminal Damage to Property (due to the value of the camera.)

He got off easy. He's a big-time jerk. One question that has gone unanswered: why did the security guys, who were close by, do nothing? Do they think their job is only to protect the players? If so, they need some retraining.

chaerulez
07-02-2005, 01:40 AM
I don't think you can get banned from an ASG for any reason unless you are banned from the sport itself or you are suspended during the ASG. Guess what? He will be suspended during that time. Not only that, but I have a feeling Bud Selig will tell Terry Francona to not even think about picking up Kenny Rogers. Serves him right.

Here's a list of SP'ers that should make it...

Roy Halladay
Mark Buehrle
Rich Harden
Jon Garland
Bartolo Colon
Freddy Garcia
Matt Clement
Johan Santana
Cliff Lee

I do not know how many they will take and I'm probably forgetting a few guys that should get mentioned, but these 9 sure do deserve being mentioned.

I can't see Harden getting in because MLB is full of idiots that value W-L record more than ERA. Although it'd be great to see him in, because he deserves it. It shouldn't matter that his W-L is 5-3 because he plays on a team with a weak offense. Baseball seriously needs to get rid off the W-L system because it worked in the old days when starters were expected to go nine innings and W-L was true to a starter's effectiveness. Now these days W-L is more about how good a pitchers run support and bullpen are. Just think about the 3-4 extra wins Burhele would have if he hadn't caught a bad break with run support or the bullpen.

FarWestChicago
07-02-2005, 01:47 AM
I can't see Harden getting in because MLB is full of idiots that value W-L record more than ERA. Although it'd be great to see him in, because he deserves it.Why stop with Hardy? Shouldn't Blanty, Hareny an Sarlosy make it too?

Dan H
07-02-2005, 07:41 AM

Didn't beat him up? Didn't the guy get taken off on a stretcher? And if you or I did this, we'd be doing some jail time. I have no sympathy for Rogers whatsoever. The same goes for his temmates who are sticking up for him.

ChiSoxRowand
07-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I was just listening to ESPN1000 and they said Rogers will be paid throughout his suspension.

hubbard347
07-02-2005, 02:23 PM
:rolleyes:

doublem23
07-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I think I will call you nuts. Sosa got eight games for cheating, Donnelly got 10 games for pine tar and Rogers get 20 games for pushing a cameraman. That doesn't sound right. Jail Time? Are you kidding me?

Next time read the whole thread. This post has already been made several times. :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I was just listening to ESPN1000 and they said Rogers will be paid throughout his suspension.I could be mistaken (I often am) but I don't think they can pay him when he's suspended by MLB.

SOXSINCE'70
07-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Anything less that 30 is laughable. This will only give him time to heat his broken hand. Way to blow it Selig!

And,get this,he's going to appeal the decision.:o:

Kenny,take your punishment like a man.You screwed up.
Admit it.Yes,the media tend to stalk their prey nowadays,
but there are easier ways of getting them off your back.
Just give it up,you loser.You made 2 mistakes,now pay the price.:angry:

On a side note,thanks to Father Perdurabo for his inside info
on what a control freak Showalter is and his insight about how the
Rangers beat writers call John Hart a "GM in golf shirt only".:cool: :cool: