PDA

View Full Version : Who's Out?

Madvora
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
When you're looking for trades out there, it's going to have to come from a team that's out of the playoff race. Right now the only thing we could use would be a starter, a reliever, a third baseman.
Now that we're in July, the countdown begins to the deadline at the end of the month. I think there haven't been any big moves yet because more teams believe they are still in the playoff race this year and don't want to give up too early.

Obviously we know who's definitely out, but look at these teams...

Yankees - 39-38 - 6 GB
- I can't see them giving up at all. They are not far out either.

Blue Jays - 40-39 - 6 GB
- The Blue Jays have been lost in the shuffle of this all. No talk about them, but they're much more in it this late then they have been in a while. I don't think they would give up their chances.

Indians - 42-35 - 11 GB
- I think they're excited about this team and they expected to win the division this year anyway. With a winning record and currently 1/2 game out of the wild card. They're very much in this.

Tigers - 36-39 - 16 GB
- This ones tough. Lots of competition in the division and a losing record, but only 5.5 games out of the wild card. They should decide pretty soon what to do. Maybe getting Maggs back would help them, but you'd have to think they're ready to give up with a losing record this late in the season.

Rangers - 40-37 - 6.5 GB
- They are very good and still very much in this. They won't be giving anyone up.

Athletics - 38-40 - 9 GB
- Another tough one because they've just won 7 in a row, so that might be giving them hope. They have a lot of enticing talent to give up to and you would think that they'd want to improve this team with young guys for next year. Time's running out though and they really need to make a decision soon.

Mets - 39-39 - 8 GB
- Hell of a race in the NL East. The Mets are in dead last with a .500 record and 4 teams ahead of them. Logically they're still in this, but again, time's running out. Tough choice.

Cubs - 40-37 - 8.5 GB
- They have to believe that they'er not catching the Cardinals, so they'll proabbly stay in for the wild card. Also, they have some hope now that Wood and Prior are back.

Brewers - 36-42 - 13 GB
- Only 6.5 out of the wild card, but with the entire NL East ahead of them. Also, they have a losing record, so they're probably ready to give up again. That sucks. I can't wait for the Brewers to win that division.

Diamiond Backs - 39-41 - 4.5 GB
- In second place with a losing record. I'm sure that's good enough to keep all their guys. That will probably make them even more of a buyer.

Dodgers - 37-41 - 5.5 GB
- Probably the same situation as the Diamond Backs. I think it would be tough to stay the course with a losing record though. I wouldn't want to screw myself for the future if it's a lost cause this year.

Giants - 33-44 - 9 GB
- Probably ready to give up. With two other losing teams ahead of them, you would think they've had it with this year.

Stroker Ace
07-01-2005, 07:27 PM
The flubs and Dodgers are out of it.

MHOUSE
07-05-2005, 05:18 AM
AL Leaders: Red Sox, White Sox, Angels
Wild Card: NYY, Baltimore, Twins, Jndjans, Rangers

The Yankees won't be out until they're statistically out, the Orioles might flounder later, but won't be sellers now, the Twins are always in it and the Indians and Rangers both have a chance (but more likely next year).

NL Leaders: Nationals, Cards, San Diego
Wild Card: Atlanta, Florida, Philly, Chicago, Dodgers, Mets

The NL East is up for grabs and the Mets can't afford to sell out with the money they've spent. The Cubs can still get there with Wood and Prior back.

I really think all the division leaders will remain the same through the end of the season. The Angels are the team to beat in the AL right now and I don't think New York or Baltimore can catch the Red Sox once they hit their stride. The Cards are out of reach and I don't think anyone can mount a serious charge at the Padres if they don't blow it again. The Nationals have pitching and defense, the hitting has done enough so far. Plus aside from the Marlins, those other three teams in the East are a mess.

True Sellers: Oakland, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincy, San Fran, Colorado.

Teams waiting for another year and not selling: Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, Arizona

Teams with nothing anybody wants: Kansas City, Tampa Bay

There doesn't seem to be much out there on the market outside of Preston Wilson, Jason Schmidt, or anyone the Mets might move. Aside from small trades that might benefit two teams in separate races, what big could happen?

Lip Man 1
07-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's who's out:

Tampa Bay, Detroit, Kansas City, Oakland, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Francisco and Colorado.

Detroit is trying for their first winning season in nine years so I don't expect them to dump players.

One could say Houston and Milwaukee are also out of it, but they still have a shot at the wild card and in Milwaukee's case, like Detroit, they are trying for a winning season for the first time in years.

Oakland, Seattle and San Francisco have some pitching the Sox could use.

Lip

Spicoli
07-05-2005, 09:34 AM

Aubrey Huff? I know he is having a bad year, but there are many teams willing to take him on, I believe.

FedEx227
07-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm sure plenty of teams wouldn't mind having Carl Crawford either.

Chips
07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=MHOUSE]

QUOTE]

What about Sweeney when he's off the DL?