PDA

View Full Version : Getz now at Kannapolis

CaptUSN
07-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Couple of hits and an error...

Mr. Downtown
07-03-2005, 12:37 AM
3 for 4 Saturday with no errors. Played ss.

BigEdWalsh
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
I didn't really want to start a new thread since there already was for Getz though I had to scrounge a little for it.

Through 15 games he's hitting .333 (he had hit .333 for Great Falls in 6 games).
The most striking stat is that he has walked 8 times and stuck out only 1 time in 60 At Bats. I think I like this guy.:cool:

TaylorStSox
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I didn't really want to start a new thread since there already was for Getz though I had to scrounge a little for it.

Through 15 games he's hitting .333 (he had hit .333 for Great Falls in 6 games).
The most striking stat is that he has walked 8 times and stuck out only 1 time in 60 At Bats. I think I like this guy.:cool:

Plus I hear real good things about his glove. I haven't seen him yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. When's the last time we had a MIF prospect that could rake?

Randar68
07-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Plus I hear real good things about his glove. I haven't seen him yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. When's the last time we had a MIF prospect that could rake?

*****! Are you serious? We already had one named Robert Valido who is also a vastly superior defensive player to Getz.

Sheeesh. Valido is hitting over .300 and leads the Sox minors in SB's and is 1-2 years younger than Chris Getz IIRC.

TaylorStSox
07-20-2005, 03:05 AM
*****! Are you serious? We already had one named Robert Valido who is also a vastly superior defensive player to Getz.

Sheeesh. Valido is hitting over .300 and leads the Sox minors in SB's and is 1-2 years younger than Chris Getz IIRC.

I know it's early to judge, but Valido hit well in the Rookie League and regressed a little in A ball. Plus, he was caught stealing alot.

Getz is already in A ball and showing alot of promise. Obviously, it's too early to tell but he has some nice credentials.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2005, 08:28 AM

Randar, can you see a day in, say, 2008 or 2009 when Getz and Valido are the Sox double play combo? And would that be a good day, or simply the product of many other things gone horribly wrong?

Randar68
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I know it's early to judge, but Valido hit well in the Rookie League and regressed a little in A ball. Plus, he was caught stealing alot.

Getz is already in A ball and showing alot of promise. Obviously, it's too early to tell but he has some nice credentials.

Getz played at a collegiate level not much different than Low-A (both Big Ten and ACC) and is a very experienced college player.

Valido made last season's SAL All-Star-team in the first half at the age of 19 hitting well along the way and had a slow second half after he hit a wall, which is beyond extremely common for HS kids in their first full-season league. See what he is doing this year? He's never repeated a league, he's a major-league ready defensive SS today, and he is hitting very well, has an amazing SB/CS ratio, and hits with occassional pop. Plus he's 2 years younger than Getz!

Sheeesh.

I like Chris Getz but:
1) He will never be more than an average defensive SS in the majors (an even that is questionable, IMO)
2) I refuse to get pumped about major college seniors until they do it in AT-LEAST High-A.

Getz is a nice prospect, but why the overlooking of Valido occurs because of a kid who has no power at all and is more experienced than a kid doing it at a younger age and one level higher is confusing as hell to me.

To answer Frater's question:

Could I envision that in a few years? Sure. I think Valido is the #1 infield prospect in the system. Getz is somewhere in the top 5 or 6 IF prospects in the system, so it is not out of the question. I actually think Getz will come on pretty quickly, but if the Sox are intent on keeping him at SS at least in the minors, then he's always going to be one level behind Valido IMO. Next year, IMO, Valido should be at SS and Getz should be at 2B both in Birmingham. Don't know if that will happen, and I could see Getz starting out in W-S, but it is what I would like to see.

California Sox
07-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Valido is currently in hi-A, hitting .304, and with admittedly average speed he's stolen 30 bases. He's clearly a pretty good prospect.

maurice
07-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Valido >>> Getz for the reasons already stated. It's extremely significant that Valido is younger (only 20) but playing very well at a higher level than Getz. Valido also is a legit SS and has been very good at stealing bases this year. Don't look now, but Lopez (21 years old) is hitting .284 in AA after being rushed up to AAA and the bigs earlier this year.

I hope Getz works out, but it's certainly not unusual for a college player to rake at rookie ball and low-A before falling off the map against tougher competition. Let's wait and see what he does next year. Ricks and Gray looked pretty good just out of school also, but neither should be very highly rated right now.