PDA

View Full Version : 60 by All-Star Break?

34rancher
07-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I know we would have to win 7 of the remaining 9, but how cool would it be to have 60 wins by the All-Star Break? Am I getting greedy? Or is it just getting into this wonderful and magical season?

batmanZoSo
07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
I know we would have to win 7 of the remaining 9, but how cool would it be to have 60 wins by the All-Star Break? Am I getting greedy? Or is it just getting into this wonderful and magical season?

As long as we have one more than the Twins at the end of the year.

Norberto7
07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, winning 7 of 9 (.778) is a dropoff from winning 11 of 13 (.846). Enough of the dark thread clouds! I don't see why it's unreasonable to hope that. Heck, if the Sox lose the rest of their games and go into the all-star break at 53-33, how many of you would have taken that at the beginning of the season? This guy would have.

(Of course, a 9 game losing streak would send tear this place apart at the seams, so here's hoping that doesn't happen.)

As Aerosmith says:

"Dream on, dream on, dream on 'til your dreams come true."

BNLSox
07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Well Oakland is hot and we all know how we do on the West Coast... but if we actually find a way to win that series I think 7-2 for the final 9 before the break is very realistic.

oeo
07-01-2005, 12:53 AM
How about we just take it one game at a time? I'm happy 60 wins or not.

DumpJerry
07-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Why not? I agree, we're getting greedy, but we've earned it. Whenever we lose even one game, we get upset and act like Sox victories are an entitlement, akin to a Flub fan's demand for beer.

I'm greedy for Sox wins and darn proud of it!

BRDSR
07-01-2005, 01:06 AM
As Aerosmith says:

"Dream on, dream on, dream on 'til your dreams come true."

In the spirit of hijacking threads...I always thought it was "dream until your dreams come true." Learn something new everyday here at WSI.

rwcescato
07-01-2005, 02:40 AM

I agree wth you. I would love to see 60 at AS break. 7-2 the rest of the way is possible. Yes we might be getting greedy but that is what winning breeds.
Best record in franchise history by the 1917 champs was only 100-54. Sox need 105 wins to match the winning percentage and of course 100 wins to tie the most wins in a season. Lets go for both.
GO SOX !!!
Rich:bandance:

itsnotrequired
07-01-2005, 07:25 AM

Or possibly the Indians. They are only a half game behind the Twins now.

Norberto7
07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
In the spirit of hijacking threads...I always thought it was "dream until your dreams come true." Learn something new everyday here at WSI.

My bad! :redface:

Sxy Mofo
07-01-2005, 10:18 AM
My bad! :redface:

now you guys have me wondering which it really is.

Why I now care, i'll never know.

ode to veeck
07-01-2005, 10:32 AM
we'd also drop the magic number down close to 60 if we won 7 more by the all star break

DaleJRFan
07-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Don't forget the Indians and Tigers. The Twins should be very worried about the Indians.

LVSoxFan
07-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Indians are hot right now; I'm not taking anything for granted. Hell the way this is going it's them we might have to worry about. And who knows about the Tigers? They've been a disappointment so far and without Mags, but they're still at .500 and he's coming back sometime soon, right?

As for 60, it's funny--we posted on this last month, trying to guess how many wins we'd have by the ASB. I think everybody seemed to agree on somewhere around 57. It'll be fun to see how it ends up.

Oakland has been our bete noire for years and while the West Coast trip this year wasn't a disaster, I remember one particularly weird game against them with all these strange calls and crazy s____ happening, where we lost. The Sox are pretty damn confident right now, so if we manage to just take the series, I'd be thrilled.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 11:41 AM
How about we just take it one game at a time? I'm happy 60 wins or not.

Damn you, OEO. Aren't you aware of the Commissioner's Exception? It's not just nice to win 60 games by the all-star game, it's an ABSOLUTE IMPERATIVE!!!

Created by Commissioner Bud Selig in 1999, the Commissioner's Exception is intended to help attendance in the early part of the season by adding excitement for modern fans who don't have the attention span to stay interested across 162 games. This is the result of 30+ years of social promotion in the public schools and the very epitome of progressive thinking on how to fleece sports fans of their last dollar and simultaneously keep it out of Nintendo's pocket. Kellogg's even introduced a pre-sweetened cereal officially licensed by MLB back in 2000. Selig Flakes, to help publicize it. The cereal bombed, but you can still buy individual boxes over the internet.

It works like this. In any year a team wins 60 or more games by the all-star game, the Commissioner calls a press conference the day before the ASG game. Next to both Tony the Tiger and the Gillette Triple Trac razor, the commissioner announces that the 60-win team has been given an official "bye" for the first round of the playoffs. Sure, they'll still play the games, but MLB guarantees that the outside pitch will be called for strikes only for the 60-win team's pitchers. The 60-win team is also awarded 4 outs per inning -- and gets credit for 1/2 run anytime they reach second base safely. The outcome is a formality.

It's also important to win 60 games by the all-star game because then you have an extraordinary chance at winning 110 games before the season ends. Those teams get the same treatment in the League Championship series -- plus all home games, too.

I'm surprised you haven't heard about all this. The NBA has been looking at a similar system for the past several years, but so far has kept with fixing the games with the referees they choose to work each game.

Glad to help.
:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Don't forget the Indians and Tigers. The Twins should be very worried about the Indians.

The Sox should be worried about all 3.As dominant as the Sox
have been against the Central,the second half is going to be tough:
8 against the Blow Sawx,6 against the Yankmees,13 games
left with the Twinkies.This will not be easy.
I'm glad they have a 10 1/2 game lead.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 04:30 PM

Somebody needs to brush up on baseball's historical precedences (at least 40 wins and 40 losses for every team for over 100 years), brush up their math skills, or at least consult a dictionary about the difference between the words "paranoia" and "worry."

What me worry?
:cool:

ondafarm
07-01-2005, 04:40 PM

That's 7 against the Red Sox. Still 9 more against KC and 6 more against Seattle and 4 at Baltimore. ((Frank loves Camden Yards!!!))