PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY IDEA: White Sox NEED Cubs in playoffs

Fake Chet Lemon
06-30-2005, 10:55 PM
This blows, but I am afraid it's true. The best thing that could happen for the Sox is to have the Cubs make the playoffs. Otherwise the national media will react with a collective yawn at the Sox. Even if they finish with baseball's best record, even with Ozzie leading the way. But if the Cubs make the playoffs, the national media with love the angle of an all Chicago World Series now that the Red Sox curse is over. The two losingest franchises. They will trumpet that so much, people will actually tune in and watch the Sox across the country to see if they win. People will root for the Sox who currently don't even know they exist, just to see if the Sox may play their beloved sCrUBS. I could care less about that. I only like it because I'd like to see our playoff games at night and that would increase our chances. Contrary to popular belief, there are White Sox fans and gasp......we do have jobs during the day. Of course, playing Boston or New York will probably get us a night game as well.

Soxzilla
06-30-2005, 11:01 PM
No.

Cubbiesuck13
06-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Piss on that idea. The only thing the SOX need from the cubs is more ammunition for jokes.

MrRoboto83
06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
An all Chicago World Series would mean another Chicago Fire.

"The Night Chicago Died"

"Brother what a night it really was"

The Dude
06-30-2005, 11:06 PM
This blows, but I am afraid it's true. The best thing that could happen for the Sox is to have the Cubs make the playoffs. Otherwise the national media will react with a collective yawn at the Sox. Even if they finish with baseball's best record, even with Ozzie leading the way. But if the Cubs make the playoffs, the national media with love the angle of an all Chicago World Series now that the Red Sox curse is over. The two losingest franchises. They will trumpet that so much, people will actually tune in and watch the Sox across the country to see if they win. People will root for the Sox who currently don't even know they exist, just to see if the Sox may play their beloved sCrUBS. I could care less about that. I only like it because I'd like to see our playoff games at night and that would increase our chances. Contrary to popular belief, there are White Sox fans and gasp......we do have jobs during the day. Of course, playing Boston or New York will probably get us a night game as well.

To put it simply....NO!

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2005, 11:07 PM
This blows, but I am afraid it's true. The best thing that could happen for the Sox is to have the Cubs make the playoffs. Otherwise the national media will react with a collective yawn at the Sox. Even if they finish with baseball's best record, even with Ozzie leading the way. But if the Cubs make the playoffs, the national media with love the angle of an all Chicago World Series now that the Red Sox curse is over. The two losingest franchises. They will trumpet that so much, people will actually tune in and watch the Sox across the country to see if they win. People will root for the Sox who currently don't even know they exist, just to see if the Sox may play their beloved sCrUBS. I could care less about that. I only like it because I'd like to see our playoff games at night and that would increase our chances. Contrary to popular belief, there are White Sox fans and gasp......we do have jobs during the day. Of course, playing Boston or New York will probably get us a night game as well. You know the SOX are going to be stuck playing all day games in the wild card round no matter whoever else is in the playoffs, but since we can win now in the day time that bodes well for us.

Norberto7
06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
The favorite son of Zion, Illinois, Gary Coleman, can eloquently describe the reaction to this thread so much better than I, so I will not even attempt said description.

I think the Sox in the playoffs, and hopefully advancing, is far more postive than the negative of them having play day games. Who cares who watches? If the Sox keep winning, we'll have a chance to see them. If they don't, then they didn't deserve night games anyways.

Rocklive99
06-30-2005, 11:27 PM
I agree with 'no.'

Media attention vs. world series, ill take the world series

You're better off with no media than media attention when the flubs are involved, so they can always get their little spin, this is the year of the Sox, let them rot in the weak NL.

Cubbiesuck13
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
If the cubs were to make the playoffs the media would have a huge orgasm the whole time they played well enough to do it. The best team in baseball would get even more overlooked than they all ready are.

The only good thing that would come of the cubs making the playoffs would be if both Chicago teams made it to the WS so the SOX would have an easy four Ws.

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2005, 11:59 PM
The Sox would be portrayed as the evil team that is once again destroying the hopes and dreams of the loveable little teddy bears and their long-suffering, incredibly loyal, fans. There would be sportscasters actually weeping at the unfairness of it all. There would be calls for the Sox to just concede and step aside in the best interests of the city.

Hitmen77
07-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm surprised no one beat me to this:

:threadsucks

Rocklive99
07-01-2005, 12:12 AM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2458/cubune0wo.jpgIf the cubs were to make the playoffs the media would have a huge orgasm the whole time they played well enough to do it. The best team in baseball would get even more overlooked than they all ready are.

The only good thing that would come of the cubs making the playoffs would be if both Chicago teams made it to the WS so the SOX would have an easy four Ws.

TDog
07-01-2005, 12:18 AM
You know how sometime you read about violent celebrations in a city that has just won a major championship. If the Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series there would be violence, but it wouldn't be in celebration.

The best thing that could happen for the sake of humanity is for the Cubs to become irrelevant to postseason baseball.

JB98
07-01-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm tired of people defining the Sox by comparing them to the Cubs. Every time the national media writes a story about us, there are at least five references to "the crosstown rival Cubs." I'd prefer we be judged on our own merits. It's like we're a team without an identity or something. I say, screw the Cubs. We need them in the playoffs like I need a fatal chest wound.

rwcescato
07-01-2005, 01:46 AM
The favorite son of Zion, Illinois, Gary Coleman, can eloquently describe the reaction to this thread so much better than I, so I will not even attempt said description.

I think the Sox in the playoffs, and hopefully advancing, is far more postive than the negative of them having play day games. Who cares who watches? If the Sox keep winning, we'll have a chance to see them. If they don't, then they didn't deserve night games anyways.

Who cares were or what we play. I wish the national tv would not put us on at all. Just completely ignore us. Then maybe we can have Hawk and Dj do our games. ESPN just called us lack of interest team, didn't they. Let us have our local broadcast in October. I would rather have our guys call the game.
Rich

RadioheadRocks
07-01-2005, 02:05 AM
I'm surprised no one beat me to this:

:threadsucks

I second the motion!

chitownhawkfan
07-01-2005, 02:14 AM
The Sox need the Scrubs in the playoffs like Abe Lincoln needs another hole in his head. Why do I care what they do? I am tired of the Sox being compared to those muppets, if both teams make it that is all we will hear during the playoffs. Comparisons to attendance, lack of the Sox lovability, lack of a curse blah blah blah blah kill me now. If the Sox continue winning whether or not ESPN or FOX likes it they will have to show our games sometime, so who really cares what the "Flubbies" do, I am praying they dont make it. Not only because I hate the Cubs and their fans but more importantly because I am tired of all the cliches that will be beaten to death.

:andy
Lets all hope those jokers dont make it!
:whocares
Thats what I'm talking bout Willis

jdm2662
07-01-2005, 10:03 AM
I've been ignoring the media and idiot Cub fans all season long. I've been enjoying the Sox play so far, and not caring what other say. You know something? This is the most I've enjoyed the Sox since the '90 season. I don't want attention. Let the national media ignore us. I still get to see the games no matter what. I don't need to here how terrible it is for Cubbie fans and how abused they are.
________
Indica strains (http://strainindex.com)

slavko
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Dear Rocklive99,

That looks like hard work, but if it cracked anyone else beside me up, it was well worth it.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM
In a word, no. No, no, and no.

DVsoxfan
07-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Dear Rocklive99,

That looks like hard work, but if it cracked anyone else beside me up, it was well worth it.

yea that was hilarious

Uncle_Patrick
07-01-2005, 11:11 AM

No, no, no, no, no!

Who the **** cares what the media thinks and who the **** cares what the nation thinks about the White Sox? If the Sox won the World Series and it was the lowest rated event in TV history, I'd still be happy. If the Sox make it to the Series and have to play all day games, I'll take the week off from work.

The nation would never root for the White Sox over the Cubs, if that's what it came down to. The Cubs are the "lovable losers". The White Sox are the "Black Sox", the team that intentionally threw a World Series. The Sox have the best record in baseball, and the media hardly accords them any respect as it is. When it comes down Cubs vs Sox, the national media always sides with the Cubs. I'm tired of everything the White Sox doing being placed in context with the Cubs. The last thing I want to see is a playoffs and/or World Series where the Sox still have to be in the shadow of the "lovable losers".

Flight #24
07-01-2005, 11:21 AM
The Sox may get ignored by national media during the ALDS and relegated to day games. That's OK, because.....

The Sox may get ignored by national media during the ALCS, but it'll be hard to ignore one of only 4 remaining teams. That's OK, because......

It'll be very very hard to ignore one of only 2 remaining teams when the Sox are in the WS. Still, national media may root for the NL entrant, that's OK because....

When the Sox are the last team standing, WS champs, it'll be impossible to ignore them. Even so, if national media isn't exactly going bonkers over the team because they're not media darlings, that's OK because.......

As long as we're champions,

We. Don't. Care.

The Racehorse
07-01-2005, 11:27 AM
In all due respect to the thread-starter, no thanks.

rdivaldi
07-01-2005, 11:28 AM
From a media coverage point of view, the best thing that could happen to the White Sox would be to play the Yankees in the ALDS, the Red Sox in the ALCS, and the Mets in the World Series. Whether or not that is truly important is up for interpretation. Personally, I'd just like to see us win it all...

samram
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
The Sox may get ignored by national media during the ALDS and relegated to day games. That's OK, because.....

The Sox may get ignored by national media during the ALCS, but it'll be hard to ignore one of only 4 remaining teams. That's OK, because......

It'll be very very hard to ignore one of only 2 remaining teams when the Sox are in the WS. Still, national media may root for the NL entrant, that's OK because....

When the Sox are the last team standing, WS champs, it'll be impossible to ignore them. Even so, if national media isn't exactly going bonkers over the team because they're not media darlings, that's OK because.......

We. Don't. Care.

You know, with the way Buehrle and Garcia have thrown during the day, they can play all the day games they want.

The Racehorse
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
From a media coverage point of view, the best thing that could happen to the White Sox would be to play the Yankees in the ALDS, the Red Sox in the ALCS, and the Mets in the World Series.

I'd luuuuuv to see our SOX get after the Mets bull pen. :drool:

Personally, I'd just like to see us win it all...

:nod:

TDog
07-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Before the 2000 ALDS, in which the Sox participated and the Cubs did not, the AP did a story about how no one in Chicago cared about the Sox in the playoffs, how none of the Chicago media even covered a pro-Sox rally downtown, because the entire world is pulling for the Cubs. They even went with a couple of Mariners to sit in empty Wrigley Field and talk about why the place was special.

Let me make this clear: On the eve of the Sox playing their first postseason game, the media wanted to talk about the Cubs.

OK, ignore the Sox. Fine. I don't even have television. But don't say, lets talk about the Sox and proceed to tell us how people would rather see the Cubs playing this October.

I don't want the Cubs to win today's game. I don't want the Cubs to win tomorrow's game. I don't want the Cubs to win ever again. That is too much to ask, I know. But for the sake of humanity, keep them away from the postseason.

If the Cubs are cursed, they're not cursed enough.

Cubbiesuck13
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
The SOX should be compared to a NL central team but it ain't the flubs. Cards and SOX WS would be awesome. cub fans will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Fake:

You're right...it is a crazy idea.

I don't want the Cubs within sniffing distance of October. That same media that you say will ignore the Sox will fall all over themselves if the Cubs still have a shot at the wild card in late September. Talk about taking away ink from a Sox clinching?

No thanks.

Lip

rdivaldi
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Fake:

I don't want the Cubs within sniffing distance of October. That same media that you say will ignore the Sox will fall all over themselves if the Cubs still have a shot at the wild card in late September. Talk about taking away ink from a Sox clinching?

No thanks.

Lip

On a side note, if we do clinch the division, I really, REALLY hope it is with a home victory. The way we celebrated in 2000 was just so empty.

munchman33
07-01-2005, 01:33 PM

This post is lifetime ban territory. :angry: :angry: :angry:

RallyBowl
07-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Rocklive, that is what I call comedy. and to the original poster, i choose to politely decline.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Why do we care so much about the national media? Our main goal is to make the playoffs and win the World Series. Since when did we want ESPN on our nuts and the bandwagon fans across the world wearing White Sox gear?

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: @ Rocklive's Cubune article. Looks real to me!

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2458/cubune0wo.jpg

Very cool.:thumbsup:I would,however, date your byline nearer
to Halloween.Game 1 of the 2005 WS is Sat.,10/21,IIRC.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 03:01 PM

No thanks.

Lip

From a media coverage point of view, the best thing that could happen to the White Sox would be to play the Yankees in the ALDS, the Red Sox in the ALCS, and the Mets in the World Series. Whether or not that is truly important is up for interpretation. Personally, I'd just like to see us win it all...

You guys are right for the same reasons. The Cubs in the playoffs leaves the Chicago media to do what they always do: Turn the Flubs into the lead story and leave the Sox to fill in the gaps. **** that ****...

And if you really want lots and lots of media attention, let the Sox play Boston, NYY, and NYM enroute to a world championship. Now THAT'S MEDIA ATTENTION!

Plus I guarantee some wiseguy producer from ESPN (or editor from the NY Times, WSJ or Wash. Post) will write some scathing piece about what a bunch of misdirected dopes control the local Chicago media for ignoring "the nation's greatest sports story of the year." It will be double-sweet to have the George Knues of this world smacked in the face with pie by their journalistic superiors.

New York vs. Chicago. East vs. Midwest. It makes no difference. The Chicago media will STILL come up short, covering each new Sunday Bears loss with more glee than a Sox postseason win.

If I got to choose who the Sox play, let it be those three teams noted above. Otherwise the Sox championship has all the relevance of a sound of a tree falling in a forest -- the Chicago media has deaf ears. It would be like San Antonio's NBA world championship over Detroit; Nobody cares unless NY or LA is involved.

rdivaldi
07-01-2005, 04:39 PM
It would be like San Antonio's NBA world championship over Detroit; Nobody cares unless NY or LA is involved.

I'd make two small changes to that statement. Nobody cares unless NY, LA, cursed teams, or a Chicago team that only has one representative in the city is involved. Besides that I think you're dead on PHG.

Hangar18
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
NO WAY. The Chicago Media would have a field day talking about how the CUBS are in the playoffs (completely ignoring the SOX) The SOX, DESPITE BEST RECORD AGAIN IN PLAYOFFS, would be relegated to the bogus nobody-can-watch-the-games-theyre-working 3PM start times..........
and allowing the CUBS to get the coveted PRIMETIME starts at 7pm.

The media would use the playoffs to talk incessantly about how it would "be great if the cubs made the world series" NO THANKS
Thanks to that goat, heres to that team NEVER making the WS

Hangar18
07-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Why do we care so much about the national media? Our main goal is to make the playoffs and win the World Series. Since when did we want ESPN on our nuts and the bandwagon fans across the world wearing White Sox gear?

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: @ Rocklive's Cubune article. Looks real to me!

Because thats how we got ignored in the first place ..............

Hangar18
07-01-2005, 04:54 PM
You know.......reading thru this thread ........ you know what IRRITATES Me and in turn makes me THANKFUL? What if the other team were 53-24 ????

TheOldRoman
07-01-2005, 04:59 PM

We. Don't. Care.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worship: Right on, Brotha!

TheOldRoman
07-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Fake:

No thanks.

Lip
I am a little ashamed to admit there was a time in my life where I was a clueless "Chicago" fan. I liked the Cubs, I went to a few games at the Urinal, and I loved the Sox. I remember watching the media orgasm when the Cubs won the wildcard in 1998. They were the lead story on the 10 o'clock news that night on every channel. The news went for probably 2 or three hours, like they used to when the Bulls won championships.

I COULDN'T WAIT to for the Sox to clinch in 2000. I wanted to be home for the round the clock coverage of the game, the championship, the celebration, playoff talk, etc. I turned on the 10 o'clock news: nothing. ABC? NBC? CBS? NOTHING. The Cubs got news coverage equivalent to that of a Bulls championship for winning the wild card, and the White Sox weren't mentioned until 26 min into the news for winning their division.

I didn't understand it at the time, but looking back, it only adds to my hate. Maybe the Wrigleyville rapist will strike again on the September night when the White Sox clinch this year, or maybe the Sox will be pushed behind another "expose" on people not paying tolls or city workers being lazy. Hell, they might even have have an *special* 15 min weathercast just to mention that the weather is nice, and its not very nice too often in Chicago. Either way, they will find some "news" that is just too important to be mentioned after they talk about the White Sox taking their first major step towards a title. They can push the real story of the day back to 10:26 for all I care, I wont be watching.

As for the cubs making the playoffs, HELL F'n NO!!! While it was enjoyable watching them fall apart in epic collapses the last few years, I dont want to see it again. I would rather we not be upstaged for winning the best division in baseball by 20 games by the cubs winning the wild card in the much weaker league. I don't want to see the cubs playing prime time games. I don't want to hear moron announcers and analysts calling Carrie an "ace", and I don't want to hear drunken elitist morons say "yeah, well we would have won if..." This is our year. The cubs are on their way to another forgettable losing season. I hope the media enjoys it now, because they wont be able to cover the Cubs anymore after Octover 3.

soxwon
07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
You know the SOX are going to be stuck playing all day games in the wild card round no matter whoever else is in the playoffs, but since we can win now in the day time that bodes well for us.

Huh- Sox in the wild card round?
Do you mean we will play the WILD CARD winner right?
We are most certainly going to win the division, and i doubt minn will make the playoffs so we will play NY BALT OR TEX-ANA

TommyJohn
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
You guys are right for the same reasons. The Cubs in the playoffs leaves the Chicago media to do what they always do: Turn the Flubs into the lead story and leave the Sox to fill in the gaps. **** that ****...

And if you really want lots and lots of media attention, let the Sox play Boston, NYY, and NYM enroute to a world championship. Now THAT'S MEDIA ATTENTION!

Plus I guarantee some wiseguy producer from ESPN (or editor from the NY Times, WSJ or Wash. Post) will write some scathing piece about what a bunch of misdirected dopes control the local Chicago media for ignoring "the nation's greatest sports story of the year." It will be double-sweet to have the George Knues of this world smacked in the face with pie by their journalistic superiors.

New York vs. Chicago. East vs. Midwest. It makes no difference. The Chicago media will STILL come up short, covering each new Sunday Bears loss with more glee than a Sox postseason win.

If I got to choose who the Sox play, let it be those three teams noted above. Otherwise the Sox championship has all the relevance of a sound of a tree falling in a forest -- the Chicago media has deaf ears. It would be like San Antonio's NBA world championship over Detroit; Nobody cares unless NY or LA is involved.

One thing you can count on is that if the White Sox make the postseason,
we'll see some midwest or east coast jackass yammer "The White who? Oh,
yawn. Like, who cares? If the Cubs were in, the whole world would watch
and there would be drama, comedy, pathos, love, hate, suspense, anger
sadness and human history in the making with every pitch. We would fight
to keep Steve Bartman away from the Holy Field. But the Who Sox? Will
they even sell out their home playoff games? Why would anyone watch a
team that fixed the World Series? "Bonanza" reruns on TVLand will get
higher ratings."

And just so you don't think I'm blowing a bunch of tripe, consider the fact
that we already had jackassery like this in 2003. All they'll have to do is
recycle the garbage.

JB98
07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
higher ratings."

recycle the garbage.

When we make the playoffs and the Cubs don't, someone will write an article suggesting we play our postseason games at "beautiful Wrigley Field." Bank on it.

Cowhead418
07-01-2005, 06:55 PM
higher ratings."

recycle the garbage.
I know I shouldn't care, but if that happens I'll be :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . Then again, if the Sox make some noise in the playoffs then I'll be :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: .

Stroker Ace
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
What the Sox need is the flubs to finish in last place, and the Sox to roll their wat to the pennant. let's see people bitch about our attendance vs. the north side come October!