PDA

View Full Version : On to Oaktown

elrod
06-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Like last time we went out there the A's are playing decent baseball. They went on a terrible run for most of May and have now gotten red hot again. They are clicking on all cylinders, though they've beaten some pretty lame teams as of late (Giants and Mariners). It's very important not to fall flat again out there. Not this year, at least. There is no excuse for not taking two of three, with Buehrle and Garland scheduled in the series.

patbooyah
06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Like last time we went out there the A's are playing decent baseball. They went on a terrible run for most of May and have now gotten red hot again. They are clicking on all cylinders, though they've beaten some pretty lame teams as of late (Giants and Mariners). It's very important not to fall flat again out there. Not this year, at least. There is no excuse for not taking two of three, with Buehrle and Garland scheduled in the series.

i'll be there!!!!!!!!!!

seanpmurphy
06-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Who cares about Oakland and their playing, the SOX fear nothing. One word I remember from last time out there. Wendlestedt :angry:

buehrle4cy05
06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Wendlestedt :angry:

:cuss::bs::whoflungpoo:chunks:therapy:
My thoughts exactly.

Bisco Stu
06-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll be at Sunday's game. Burly Mon vs. Zito (who's pitching much better). Good chance for a classic pitching duel.

batmanZoSo
06-30-2005, 07:17 PM
We did fine in Anaheim, splitting the series, and with normal umpiring we would've won two of three in Oakland, maybe even a sweep. If all the sudden we go back to dropping pop ups and all that bizarre stuff, then I'll believe we haven't overcome the curse at all.

RallyBowl
06-30-2005, 07:32 PM
This series will be a great chance to see what zito and chavez can be doing for us in a month.

SpringfldFan
06-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Oakland's red hot right now, but that doesn't concern me. The Sox have had three eight game winning streaks and the following game(s) ended badly in each case. Oakland should be due for a loss themselves.

SFF

Bisco Stu
06-30-2005, 11:15 PM
This series will be a great chance to see what zito and chavez can be doing for us in a month.

No sarcastic shades here! Chavez & Zito = AL PENNANT

SOX ADDICT '73
07-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Like last time we went out there the A's are playing decent baseball...
Actually, they were a game below .500 back then, and had been held scoreless by the Angels for 13 straight innings. Garland and Buehrle pushed that streak to 26 before Wendelstedt, Froemming, and Co. decided that enough was enough.:angry:

I'd honestly rather play them in the midst of a winning streak, since such streaks have a tendency to end. Then again, I was nervous about the Dodgers coming into USCF after being swept by the Royals, and we all know how that turned out.:smile:

If there's a more unpredictable game than baseball, I'd like to see it.

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2005, 01:40 AM
I was scared of them when they were 25-35 or whatever it was; now it's worse. Hopefully the Sox can overcome multiple curses...
The Curse of the West
The Curse of the OAK
The Curse of the Young Pitchers
--------------------------------
2/3 for the Sox out in OAK, 2/3 for OAK in Chicago. Book it.

EDIT: To the above poster:
Speaking of winning streaks, when Oakland won 20 straight a few years back, didn't it start with a sweep of the Sox?

JermaineDye05
07-01-2005, 01:44 AM
it'll be great to get a win tomorrow, we win tomorrow the sox will be 30 games over .500, I love it

dcb33
07-01-2005, 04:11 AM
I was scared of them when they were 25-35 or whatever it was; now it's worse. Hopefully the Sox can overcome multiple curses...
The Curse of the West
The Curse of the OAK
The Curse of the Young Pitchers
--------------------------------
2/3 for the Sox out in OAK, 2/3 for OAK in Chicago. Book it.

EDIT: To the above poster:
Speaking of winning streaks, when Oakland won 20 straight a few years back, didn't it start with a sweep of the Sox?

Screw Oakland. This Sox team is completely different from past teams that were the A's bitch. I hope the Sox sweep so all this West Coast curse nonsense can be put out to pasture where it belongs.

samram
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Ah, a series against Oakland. A time when 2% of WSI members actually root against the Sox because they like the way the opposing team's general manager does math.

downstairs
07-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Ah, a series against Oakland. A time when 2% of WSI members actually root against the Sox because they like the way the opposing team's general manager does math.

Hey, I like Billy a lot. You may not. But I don't- and can't believe any Sox fan- actually roots for his team over the Sox?!

Heck, I don't even root for the A's in general. I just happen to agree with the way he and many others like him build teams and strategy. But it doesn't actually translate to me liking the team itself!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Screw Oakland. This Sox team is completely different from past teams that were the A's bitch. I hope the Sox sweep so all this West Coast curse nonsense can be put out to pasture where it belongs.

My thoughts exactly. The only good reason to think any more of this series over any of the others is to SHUT UP the constant whining and fretting over big bad Oakland.

You want to fret about Oakland? Go post on a Mets site about their first base coach. He's the ****ing idiot who created your fretting for you.

:jerry
"Don't lead off. That's what the pitcher is expecting. Just keep your foot on the bag.... and don't start running until the ball is back inside the infield... if you can, try to make the pitcher run to tag you out. Got it?"

ondafarm
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
The West Coast curse was broken when we took the series in San Diego, which is also on the west coast. As for Oakland, with bad umpiring that series was a Sox cakewalk. I expect this one to be as well.

ode to veeck
07-01-2005, 09:30 AM
My sentiments exactly. I am just tired of going to games here and seeing the Sox lose. Time to stomp on the As seven game winning streak with an exclamation point sweep. Better yet, a couple more games with the bags left loaded with the winning runs in the last inning aka Kittens wins, so the As fans and players start whining too ;-)

Ol' No. 2
07-01-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/curses.gif Curses are for losers.

ode to veeck
07-01-2005, 09:37 AM
:burly

"Curses, what curses!?! I'm gonna mow As down and be at beer time in 75 minutes for the sweep on Sunday!"

fquaye149
07-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey, I like Billy a lot. You may not. But I don't- and can't believe any Sox fan- actually roots for his team over the Sox?!

Heck, I don't even root for the A's in general. I just happen to agree with the way he and many others like him build teams and strategy. But it doesn't actually translate to me liking the team itself!

Have your 421 posts come within the last 3 months, the only months when the FOBB's have laid dormant from shame from their lousy gm?

The only months when we aren't reminded that they want KW to fail...but only so the sox can get a GOOD gm, a SABR gm?

I have to assume so, or else you just missed all those myriad posts

Medford Bobby
07-01-2005, 09:59 AM
:smile: Tonight will be a good gage of the series....we always lose the first game after going across 3 time zones and the club seems tired.....BUT maybe they will have some of the afterglow of the Tigers series and buck this strange trend....:o:

Steakpita
07-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I fear Rich Harden tonight... this pitching matchup definitely leans in the A's favor in a HUGE way... Harden's on my fantasy team and he's been freakin' unstoppable since coming back from injury three starts ago.

Needless to say - I benched him for today and am starting Dye, Konerko, Rowand, and Frank. Go sox! :cool:

MrEd
07-01-2005, 11:08 AM
This series could be a preview of the AL divisional series in October (Sox with best record and the A's with the wild card). The A's pitchers have been on fire over the last few weeks and they've been hitting the ball much better. The pitching matchups are great with Harden, Saarloos, and Zito against Contreras, Garland, and Buehrle. This is a good test for the Sox and should be some great baseball to watch over the holiday weekend. I'd like to see a Sox sweep, but would be thrilled with two wins.

soxfanreggie
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Having Contreras pitch well is the key to the series IMO. I don't think Buehrle and Garland would both lose. If Contreras wins, we have a great chance at a sweep and should get (95% chance) 2 out of 3.

This west coast curse will be over soon!

Iwritecode
07-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I just have to say that I will be camping this (3-day) weekend and being the superstitious person I am, it seems like the Sox play horribly when I am camping.

I went last weekend but Saturday and Sunday only. See what happened? :(:

I remember a few years ago (2001?) Daver had to have a talk with the hunting gods. I might need to have a talk with the camping gods...

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Right now the A's would have to stay hot for a very long time to take the Wild card. Personally I think it will go to either the Orioles,Twins or Indians.

Lip

MrEd
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Oakland is only 5 games out of the Wild Card (Baltimore) and 9 from first place.

Right now the A's would have to stay hot for a very long time to take the Wild card. Personally I think it will go to either the Orioles,Twins or Indians.

Lip

ode to veeck
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm rooting for Baltimore to take the East

Lip Man 1
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Too many teams ahead of the A's in the Wild Card race. The O's, Twins and Indians aren't all going to fall apart and hand it to them.

And given the strength of the Angels you can forget about winning the west, that's like saying the Cubs can catch the Cards for the central.

Isn't going to happen.

Lip

shaunburnette
07-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I will be there tonight, hoping to see my first White Sox winner of the year.

My Record So Far :

0-2 (Oakland, San Diego)

This means the Sox have to win tonight, I am way overdue! :bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM

That's overly optimistic. Anytime you fly out to the west coast WITHOUT an off day the team will usually be tired and flat. They had a two hour rain delay the game before and 13 innings to play before that. If the Sox win tonight and/or score more than two runs I'll be stunned. Not to mention it's Oakland.....and they are hot on top of that. Contreras is pitching, another reason we won't score much. We are destined to lose this game on Friday. I hope you are right, but we'll probably go 1-2 in Oakland. I'll take a 4-2 roadtrip anytime though.

RallyBowl
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
No sarcastic shades here! Chavez & Zito = AL PENNANT How about this- The team we have right now= AL PENNANT.

TaylorStSox
07-01-2005, 02:35 PM
We're running into a hot team that's starting 2 pretty good pitchers and 1 has been. I'll be really happy with 2/3 but wont be upset if the A's take 2.

ondafarm
07-01-2005, 03:01 PM
That's overly optimistic. Anytime you fly out to the west coast WITHOUT an off day the team will usually be tired and flat. They had a two hour rain delay the game before and 13 innings to play before that. If the Sox win tonight and/or score more than two runs I'll be stunned. Not to mention it's Oakland.....and they are hot on top of that. Contreras is pitching, another reason we won't score much. We are destined to lose this game on Friday. I hope you are right, but we'll probably go 1-2 in Oakland. I'll take a 4-2 roadtrip anytime though.

Ozzie was pretty careful to rest his players. Pierzinski should be sharp and I think Willie will start at 2nd. Rowand also had almost all of Wed off and Pods had Thursday off. Plus, the getaway game was an afternoon one so I think you are being overly cautious. I also think that flying east is the part that causes more exhaustion than flying west.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Ozzie was pretty careful to rest his players. Pierzinski should be sharp and I think Willie will start at 2nd. Rowand also had almost all of Wed off and Pods had Thursday off. Plus, the getaway game was an afternoon one so I think you are being overly cautious. I also think that flying east is the part that causes more exhaustion than flying west.

Flying east would be more difficult in theory, because you lose two hours of sleep because of the timezone. But I think your body gets equally tired regardless when flying. And breathing all that recycled air can't be healthy. Wow, this might be my dumbest post ever..............and is Willie Harris playing supposed to help your argument? I'll keep that for my side of the discussion. Oh well, hope I am wrong.

ondafarm
07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Flying east would be more difficult in theory, because you lose two hours of sleep because of the timezone. But I think your body gets equally tired regardless when flying. And breathing all that recycled air can't be healthy. Wow, this might be my dumbest post ever..............and is Willie Harris playing supposed to help your argument? I'll keep that for my side of the discussion. Oh well, hope I am wrong.

The only players who played the entire game on both Wednesday and Thursday were Iguchi, Dye and Konerko. Willie provides a lefty bat and is a decent fastball hitter, Dye and Konerko are just too important to rest. Thomas DH'd so he shouldn't be too bad.

Ozzie seems to be planning on his lefty heavy lineup against Harden.

And thanks for the aside insult.

DieTrying79
07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Enough about the A's. The bad luck in Oakland ends tonite. Saw Harden pitch against Buerhle in April, and I admit, the guy is good. But he throws alot of heat, but has a tendency to get frazzled when guys start smacking that fastball around. I'll be there tonite, talkin' ---, representin' the home town and Chicago's finest. Yo, Oakland: Don't sing it, bring it! :angry:

Bisco Stu
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm glad A's are at the top of their game. Always prefer playing an opponent at their best, when they have NO injuries. Then, when we beat them, they have no excuses. It's a challenge.

I never understood the mentality of being happy that you're playing an opponent at less than full strength. Hollow victories, those are. Yeah, they count, but it's like sex w/ a hooker as opposed to a woman who loves you.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Time to put all this Oakland crap behind us, come on Buehrle bring home a series win!! We have the right man for the job.:bandance: