PDA

View Full Version : Don Cooper

shoota
06-30-2005, 05:40 PM
After watching another dominating pitching performance by a Sox pitcher, I want to draw attention to the work of Don Cooper.

Let's break it down: We have two starters, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland, who are both being considered as the AL starting pitcher in the All-Star game! We have a third starting pitcher, Freddy Garcia, who is posting All-Star numbers, but is likely to be left off the team only because a team can only send so many representatives.

Jose Contreras does not own a sparkling won/loss record like the rest of the staff, but that is more because he has received the least amount of run support of all the Sox starting pitchers. Though his record doesn't show it, he has pitched very well, as he is among the league leaders in opponent batting average against. Early in the year, Contreras threw many pitches and wasn't efficient with his pitch count. I credit Don Cooper for fixing this problem, allowing him to work deeper into games. Don also must have worked on correcting Contreras's problem of tipping his pitches.

Don's work is also imprinted on the bullpen. His work has improved near lost causes Shingo and Vizcaino, as last night's important performaces indicate. Politte is even better than last year, which is saying a lot, and Hermanson has been near flawless. And turning Cotts into not only a serviceable lefty reliever, but a dominant one seemed impossible just last season.

His hands are tied with Marte, who is hurt, and now I understand why Cooper hasn't gotten Marte to pitch like the Marte of past. If Coop can get him back to dominance for the playoffs, LOOK THE HELL OUT! This staff 1-11 could roll through the Series.

Don Cooper is one of the best pitching coaches in the game. I raise up this toast for you, Don Cooper. :gulp:

jehosaphat
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Right on. This is Cooper's staff and he's bringing out the best in the group. And don't forget about Pierzynski and Widger - the catchers have done a great job. And to think, they were telling us that Pierzynski was a clubhouse cancer before the season started. Either Pierzynski got a bum rap in SF, or he's grown up considerably, or both. Anyway, it seems like everything hs come together this year.

PS: Polite deserves to be on the All Star Team.

kevingrt
06-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Coop does do a pretty outstanding job with this staff. It's not like he doesn't have the arms to do it with though. This last start on Wednesday from McCarthy was very promising for McCarthy, and I have to credit Coop a little bit for it, for some reason if not just because he is the pitching coach.

I want to see him make Contreras a better major league baseball pitcher. We all know Jose can throw the ball and has the stuff. But as Greg Maddux said it's better to have a one pitch groundball out then a six pitch strike out. Contreras throws way too many pitches, as he is usually over 100 pitches into the sixth inning. I think lowering his pitch count would also serve for faster ballgames, which usually means better fielding behind him. It also means happier, more excited fans in the stands.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Gotta love what Coop's doing with the arms. But, you're still a nut, shoota. :D:

fuzzy_patters
06-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Right on. This is Cooper's staff and he's bringing out the best in the group. And don't forget about Pierzynski and Widger - the catchers have done a great job. And to think, they were telling us that Pierzynski was a clubhouse cancer before the season started. Either Pierzynski got a bum rap in SF, or he's grown up considerably, or both. Anyway, it seems like everything hs come together this year.

PS: Polite deserves to be on the All Star Team.

Pierzynski got a bum rap in SF. There were never any reported problems in Minny, and he seems to be a great team player for the Sox. The Giants, OTOH, have had clubhouse problems for years (see Kent vs. Bonds).

fquaye149
06-30-2005, 10:49 PM
a lot of Garcia's outs he got today came after he had a comfortable lead, so they shouldn't really count.

Also, Garland gets a lot of run support, so he's really not as good as his record.

As you see, Cooper only appears to be successful. Really the pitchers are just recording outs in garbage time. I've been keeping track.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 10:51 PM
a lot of Garcia's outs he got today came after he had a comfortable lead, so they shouldn't really count.

Also, Garland gets a lot of run support, so he's really not as good as his record.

As you see, Cooper only appears to be successful. Really the pitchers are just recording outs in garbage time. I've been keeping track.:roflmao:

Daver
06-30-2005, 10:56 PM
My opinion can be found here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2822)

beckett21
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
My opinion can be found here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2822)

Nice. :cool:

DumpJerry
07-01-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm casting my Cy Young vote for Cooper.

Foulke You
07-01-2005, 12:17 AM
I thought Nardi was the greatest Sox pitching coach ever?

:nardi
"No, no, no, Jon, you're doing it all wrong, you need to put your labrum into it!"

iamkoza
07-01-2005, 12:18 AM
It'd be nice if cooper could ban contreras from using his slider. He throws 95 mph, and doesnt have confidence in the fastball. He never faced any real adversity in cuba, it's purely mental at this point, if he wants to dominate with hsi fastball/forkball, he can.

Iguana775
07-01-2005, 06:44 AM

Come one Daver, tell us how you REALLY feel. :gulp:

Steakpita
07-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't forget Man Soo Lee! Whatever he's doing out in that bullpen, it's working.

TomBradley72
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Reminiscent of the great work of Ken "Hatch" Silvestri from the mid-80's :smile:

gosox41
07-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought Nardi was the greatest Sox pitching coach ever?

:nardi
"No, no, no, Jon, you're doing it all wrong, you need to put your labrum into it!"

No, it's the great Mike Pazik.

Bob