PDA

View Full Version : Radio For The Criminally Stupid

SOXPHILE
06-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I was listening to the Sox game at work today, but I was getting REALLY bad reception, so I decided to follow it on MLB.com. Also, I turned on WGN late in the Cubs-Brewers game. In the 9th inning, with the Cubs down 10-5, (:cool: ), I am treated to Hughes and Santo extolling the virtues of the Cub fans. They keep saying, over and over, that even though they're down by 5, "no one" has left, and these are such great fans, they never give up. The Cubs get a 1 out run, and Hughes says "Listen to these fans", and Santo adds, "They love their Cubbies". Fortunatly, the Brew Crew brought in their closer, and with 2 pitches, the game was over, Cubs lose. I ask you fellow Sox fans, what must it be like to be a Cub fan ? How stupid must one be ? In just about 5 minutes of listening to their broadcast, I am told about 5 or 6 times how wonderful the fans are, how great everything is, how much "they love their Cubbies." I think it's absolutely embarrasing. Can you imagine hearing Rooney & Farmer saying "these fans, they love their Soxies", or the Hawk, inning after inning, saying that we are such wonderful fans, just listen to us cheer as we score a run (or cheer a routine fly ball), during a game that the Sox were obviously going to lose ? They are absolutely the most pathetic lot I've ever seen.

Hangar18
06-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I was listening to the Sox game at work today, but I was getting REALLY bad reception, so I decided to follow it on MLB.com. Also, I turned on WGN late in the Cubs-Brewers game. In the 9th inning, with the Cubs down 10-5, (:cool: ), I am treated to Hughes and Santo extolling the virtues of the Cub fans. They keep saying, over and over, that even though they're down by 5, "no one" has left, and these are such great fans, they never give up. The Cubs get a 1 out run, and Hughes says "Listen to these fans", and Santo adds, "They love their Cubbies". Fortunatly, the Brew Crew brought in their closer, and with 2 pitches, the game was over, Cubs lose. I ask you fellow Sox fans, what must it be like to be a Cub fan ? How stupid must one be ? In just about 5 minutes of listening to their broadcast, I am told about 5 or 6 times how wonderful the fans are, how great everything is, how much "they love their Cubbies." I think it's absolutely embarrasing. Can you imagine hearing Rooney & Farmer saying "these fans, they love their Soxies", or the Hawk, inning after inning, saying that we are such wonderful fans, just listen to us cheer as we score a run (or cheer a routine fly ball), during a game that the Sox were obviously going to lose ? They are absolutely the most pathetic lot I've ever seen.

Listening to Hughes & Santo is great if you like guys who PANDER to the audience and are GRATUITOUS. I too am sick of the "listen to these great fans" or "arent these fans something ronny?" ITS bs. Like I said, these
two jokers have been OUTED already for Hughes recently saying in the 9th inning of a game how "for a game this bad, look at the fans that are still here". Later, I see a replay of that inning and the joint is basically empty. Sick of WGN BS.

white sox bill
06-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Listening to Hughes & Santo is great if you like guys who PANDER to the audience and are GRATUITOUS. I too am sick of the "listen to these great fans" or "arent these fans something ronny?" ITS bs. Like I said, these
two jokers have been OUTED already for Hughes recently saying in the 9th inning of a game how "for a game this bad, look at the fans that are still here". Later, I see a replay of that inning and the joint is basically empty. Sick of WGN BS.

They don't fool us--they are there because they haven't spend Daddy's allowance yet

chisoxfan64
06-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Between innings of the Sox game I was flippin channels, there were an awful lot of "fans" dressed as green seats at the urinal by the 7th inning.

tebman
06-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Hughes and Santo are the Laurel and Hardy of play-by-play, with Santo playing Stan Laurel and Hughes playing Oliver Hardy:

PH:"What a fine game and what a fine day this is, wouldn't you say, Stanley? [a.k.a. Ron]"
RS: "I don't know, Ollie [a.k.a. Pat], our boys might be in trouble."
PH: "Oh look! The other team scored eight runs -- but our boys are looking good!"
RS: "(whimper, whimper) Oh, no...I don't want to see them lose again...(whimper)"
PH: "Well, there's another fine mess. But it certainly is a fine day today!"
RS: "(whimper)"

http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/wls/1941/images/laurel_and_hardy.jpg

What a couple of maroons! (with appropriate credit to Bugs Bunny)

SOXPHILE
06-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Hughes and Santo are the Laurel and Hardy of play-by-play, with Santo playing Stan Laurel and Hughes playing Oliver Hardy:

PH:"What a fine game and what a fine day this is, wouldn't you say, Stanley? [a.k.a. Ron]"
PH: "Oh look! The other team scored eight runs -- but our boys are looking good!"
RS: "(whimper, whimper) Oh, no...I don't want to see them lose again...(whimper)"

Awesome !:thumbsup:

Hendu
06-30-2005, 07:56 PM

The amount of self-congratulatory propoganda that spews from the corporate entity at Clark & Addison is enough to make Kim Jong Il blush. I'm surprised Steve Stone lasted there as long as he did.

Dan H
06-30-2005, 08:20 PM
The amount of self-congratulatory propoganda that spews from the corporate entity at Clark & Addison is enough to make Kim Jong Il blush. I'm surprised Steve Stone lasted there as long as he did.

You are so right. The propaganda never stops. Any time I go to the bookstore, there is another Cubbie book telling us how great Wrigley is, how wonderful Dusty is or some worn out explanation about why things went wrong in 1969. It is endless drivel. I don't know how anyone can watch or listen to any Cub broadcast.

Cubbiesuck13
06-30-2005, 08:21 PM

I would rather them be like Laurel and Hardy of their silent films.

Brian26
06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Listening to Hughes & Santo is great if you like guys who PANDER to the audience and are GRATUITOUS. I too am sick of the "listen to these great fans" or "arent these fans something ronny?" ITS bs.

It's a completely "dumbed down" product that caters to the lowest common denominator of baseball fans who have basically become mindless sheep.

C-Dawg
06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
They keep saying, over and over, that even though they're down by 5, "no one" has left, and these are such great fans, they never give up. The Cubs get a 1 out run, and Hughes says "Listen to these fans", and Santo adds, "They love their Cubbies".

I too was switching back and forth between the Sox and Cub games, and I was actually listening intently because Hughes and Santo make that same lame statement about the fans pretty much each and every game (or is it just when they lose?). Sure enough, I heard it there in the 9th, right on schedule, and I was able to switch back to the Sox knowing I'd reaffirmed my belief Santo & Co. are mindless tools of the Cub Machine.

And, remember the game a month or so ago when Zambrano pitched the whole game against the Phillies and broke the long losing streak? Hughes and Santo kept saying how stingy the umpires were being with Zambrano's strike zone, whereas here on WSI fans who'd actually seen the game on TV were commenting that the umps were giving Zambrano just about anything as a strike. It makes me wonder what other lies they tell in the name of Cub Nation.

ChiSox14305635
06-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Between commercial breaks on ESPN 1000, I switched over to 720, & first thing I hear is the Brewers getting a run off of Mitre in the 7th and all you hear is Santo groaning and sighing.

soxwon
06-30-2005, 10:40 PM

Hey your talkin about a FUTURE Hall Of Famer there!!!!

tebman
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Between commercial breaks on ESPN 1000, I switched over to 720, & first thing I hear is the Brewers getting a run off of Mitre in the 7th and all you hear is Santo groaning and sighing.

http://www.mehrzweckbeutel.de/staubsauger/images/illus/laurel3.jpg "...I don't know, Pat. I'm worried about our boys (whimper)."
http://www.nndb.com/people/055/000031959/oliver-hardy-1-sized.jpg"Oh, but Ron, aren't these great Cub fans! Not one has left!"

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised Steve Stone lasted there as long as he did.

Here's what should be the new excuse on
the 2005 "Cry" t-shirts sold outside Sox Park:

2004-IT'S ALL STEVE STONE'S FAULT!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.mehrzweckbeutel.de/staubsauger/images/illus/laurel3.jpg "...I don't know, Pat. I'm worried about our boys (whimper)."
http://www.nndb.com/people/055/000031959/oliver-hardy-1-sized.jpg"Oh, but Ron, aren't these great Cub fans! Not one has left!"

I like this only if they can Abbott and Costello every other day.:D: :D:

Hell,with Santo's memory lapses,every day is "Who's On First".:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CallMeNuts
07-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Between innings of the Sox game I was flippin channels, there were an awful lot of "fans" dressed as green seats at the urinal by the 7th inning.

Isn't that the inning when they cut off beer sales? Must be a coincidence!

hsnterprize
07-02-2005, 05:15 PM
You are so right. The propaganda never stops. Any time I go to the bookstore, there is another Cubbie book telling us how great Wrigley is, how wonderful Dusty is or some worn out explanation about why things went wrong in 1969. It is endless drivel. I don't know how anyone can watch or listen to any Cub broadcast.I went to a Borders bookstore in Oak Park, and they seem to have an endcap shelf filled with nothing but Cubs' related books. Like you said...either about Wrigley Field, or "what it takes to be a Cub fan", or something that makes my stomach churn. Lets face it...even if the Sox go all the way this year (and I'm hoping they do), there will still be those who'll be blindly loyal to the Cubs no matter how good they are.

Dick Allen
07-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I went to a Borders bookstore in Oak Park, and they seem to have an endcap shelf filled with nothing but Cubs' related books. Like you said...either about Wrigley Field, or "what it takes to be a Cub fan", or something that makes my stomach churn. Lets face it...even if the Sox go all the way this year (and I'm hoping they do), there will still be those who'll be blindly loyal to the Cubs no matter how good they are. I was at Barnes & Noble the other day, I actually counted 24(!) Cubs books and only 3(!) Sox books. What if the Cubs had actually won anything over the past 60 years??

chitownhawkfan
07-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I work as basically a glorified pick up boy, but my manager lives right by Wrigley on Halsted. I had to pick up some units from his apartment, I turned on the game to see what inning it was in because I was concerned about traffic after the night game was over. Whew I thought, it is only the top of eight, there cant be any traffic. Nope, people were pouring out of a 4-2 game, to head to the Cubbie Bear, or Murphys or Hi Tops or some other nauseatingly disgusting frat boy palace. When Hughes and Santo talk about great fans dont buy it. They are probably being passed directives by some accountant from corporate.

As to Laurel & Hardy, I really dont know that much about them except that they are comedic legends. They are probably turning over in their graves being compared to these muppets.
:santo
:hughes

fed ex 4 pasqua
07-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Take the red line south at 3:00 durig a day game. You will find hordes of drunken cub "fans" cross-eyed, reeking, and spilling their 40's. On Friday, I made sure the game was still going on, but found the train full of inebreation. 3 guys wanted to get off at Lake to transfer to the el, which would take them right to Grant Park for the taste. The brown line (that they wanted to transfer to) would take them around the loop the wrong way to save a walk of one block. Moreover, one guy fiddled with his cell phone for 5 minutes without getting it to work. After he put it away with a frustrated look on his face, I laughed at the fact that he still didn't realize that cell phones don't work in the subway.