PDA

View Full Version : Black Jack McDowell

StepsInSC
06-30-2005, 04:43 PM
I was talking with a paralegal at work today, we were talking about siblings. I asked him how many he had, he said a few, and said I might have heard of one because he used to play ball: "Black Jack McDowell". Obviously my jaw hit the floor. He's his stepbrother.

After talking with him for a while, he mentioned about how supposedly Jack "screwed" the White Sox over or something when he left, and it was such a big deal. I was wondering if anyone remembered anything about this? It was a while ago, and I didn't recall what, if anything, Black Jack did to the club when he left...

doublem23
06-30-2005, 04:57 PM
The only thing I ever really heard about Jack McDowell and his depature from the Sox was that McDowell was the Sox's union representative and, apparently, became the target of Jerry Reinsdorf, so he was shipped out of Chicago after the 1994 season. I never heard that McDowell "screwed" the Sox, unless he means that he got shipped, by the Sox, to Cleveland, and helped them win the '95 Division crown while the Sox never seemed to be able to put all the pieces together for the rest of the '90s.

Though, considering that McDowell broadcasted a few games with DJ this year during Hawk's absence, I don't know how much ill feeling there is between the two parties any more.

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2005, 05:24 PM
IIRC, McDowell was upset that he had to go to arbitration three years in a row, as JR would never offer him a contract during his arb-eligible years. I believe he then announced that under no circumstances would he return to the White Sox as a free agent. As doublem23 has pointed out, he was in the broadcast booth with DJ while Hawk was recuperating from eye surgery, and he has been to SoxFest, so the hatchet seems to have been buried.

SMO
:gulp:

Lip Man 1
06-30-2005, 05:58 PM
From Jack's WSI Interview:

ML: 1994 was the strike year. How tough was it for you and the guys knowing as the calendar crept towards August that the clock was ticking on a labor impasse?

JM: "I thought that we were going to be out longer then a week or ten days but I never felt the rest of the year was going to be cancelled. The Sox felt that we had to be in first place when the strike hit because we didnít know what could happen. The last month, the Sox went with a four man rotation. My last three wins were all complete games and all on three days rest. It turned out we did finish the year in first."

ML: When the strike hit did the players even think that not only would the season be cancelled but that it marked the end for that group of Sox players as well?

JM: "I didnít know what the organization was going to do. I donít think anybody thought they were going to tear the team up. For me, I put up great numbers for four years. I played hard every time I put that uniform on. I wanted to win, but was never offered a multi year deal. It was one of those things. Maybe someday Iíll sit down with Jerry (Reinsdorf) and find out what happened."

ML: Do you think some people in upper management had hard feelings towards you?

JM: "I donít know why they would. Fans donít know this, but not only was I never offered a multi year contract, I was never even offered a one year deal! The Sox just automatically took me right to arbitration three years in a row (Authorís Note: McDowell won one of those salary hearings) They just didnít negotiate with me. Did that piss me off? Yes. Should I have said some of the things that I did to the media? Probably not. I didnít play the game as far as the team image was concerned, but I was just telling the truth about what was going on."

ML: You were traded to the Yankees in a "cost cutting" move after the 94 season. Management claimed they had to try to recoup some of their losses from the shortened season. A lot of Sox fans feel it was just a personal vendetta against you. All things considered, were you happy to leave?

JM: "I regretted it. I loved Chicago and we had one of the best teams going. 1995 was extremely fun for me though. (Authorís Note: Jack won fifteen games with the Yankees.) We made the playoffs, had that great series with Seattle and Don Mattingly got a chance to play in the post season."

ML: During the period of 1990 through 1994 the Sox were one of the best teams in baseball but you only made the playoffs one time and never got to a World Series. Was that the biggest disappointment for you?

JM: "That was tough. They didnít have the three division set up or the Wild Card until 1993. We happened to be in the same division with Oakland and they had a great team. We probably would have made the playoffs three years in a row if they did. We were just scratching and clawing to try to stay with the Aís. That would have helped us because very rarely does a team do something like the Angels did this past year, get in for the first time and win everything right off."

ML: Iím not trying to place blame here but the Sox as good as they were, always seemed to be one piece short. Whether it was another starter or another big bat to go with Thomas and Ventura. Do you think the organization did everything they could to get to a World Series?

JM: "Thatís tough to say. I know that Mark McGwire wanted to come here. He called me three times in about a ten day period after the 1991 season. He asked me about the other guys in the clubhouse, about the coaching staff and about the city of Chicago. I honestly felt we were going to get him. I called Robin (Ventura) to let him know what was going on and I remember he was excited. He told me Ďalright...weíre going to kick ass.í The Sox then asked Frank (Thomas) if heíd go to DH full time so that Mark could play first and he said no.".

One time I was talking with Jerry Reinsdorf and he told me the reason the Sox wouldnít go out and sign any big name, big money free agents is because they were concerned about how Iíd react to it. We had those contract issues all those years and they thought Iíd get angry over it. I looked at him and said it wouldnít bother me, especially if I was looking at my World Series ring! All I ever wanted to do was win, I didnít care how much somebody else made."

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
06-30-2005, 06:27 PM
unless he means that he got shipped, by the Sox, to Cleveland, and helped them win the '95 Division crown while the Sox never seemed to be able to put all the pieces together for the rest of the '90s.

Actually he was shipped to the Yanks, in exchange we got the GREAT Lyle Mouton. However it was in '95 that McDowell flipped off Yankee fans. :cool:

thepaulbowski
06-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Though, considering that McDowell broadcasted a few games with DJ this year during Hawk's absence, I don't know how much ill feeling there is between the two parties any more.

IIRC, McDowell at one of the recent fan conventions said the only time he still gets a little upset is when it is the time of year he would go to arbitration. But that was said a tongue in cheek, I believe.

StepsInSC
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't remember anything big, good info though.