PDA

View Full Version : BBTN: "Why do we hear so much about Wood?"

Huisj
06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Last night, Harold Reynolds asked this question on the show, citing that he's never won more than 14 games, and rarely pitches a full season. The other guy (the one who is a clone of Karl Ravich) said something like "Well, because he's on the Cubs, and one time he struck out 20 guys in a game."

I know everyone is down on the ESPN rant threads around here, but this one is less of a conspiracy thread of speculation, and more of a proof to put an end to the speculation. They've admitted it in plain words on the air, they love the Cubs, and they love style over winning.

Juice16
06-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I wonder this everytime I turn on the TV, radio and open a paper. Kerry Wood is a good pitcher but the Chicago media and Cubs clowns treat him like he is Cy Young, Walter Johnson and Nolan ryan in one. Even on MLB.com there is a headline for Wood. His numbers yesterday were nearly identicle to McCarthy, yet the media make it sound like he struck out 20 again. It gets very nausiating after all these years.

Uncle_Patrick
06-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Last night, Harold Reynolds asked this question on the show, citing that he's never won more than 14 games, and rarely pitches a full season. The other guy (the one who is a clone of Karl Ravich) said something like "Well, because he's on the Cubs, and one time he struck out 20 guys in a game."

Well, all I can say is, "Duh!" Who here didn't already know that was the answer to that question. Kerry Wood's career has been made off that one game. The question, to me, is why are we still talking about him?

Palehose Pete
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Of course, if you try to have a discussion with a Cubs fan about the relative merits of Kerry Wood and why he hasn't won more than 14 games in any given season, they'll blame it on the lack of run support from the Cubs hitters and then start saying that Woods's stuff is "electric" and babble on about if only Kid K can stay healthy, then who knows...

The Tribsters are using Wood as "Kid K" to put butts in the seats while he's under his expensive multi-year contract, but when it's time re-negotiate, I bet the Tribsters are going to low-ball Kid K and defend themselves by pointing out all of the things that we Kid K doubters have been pointing out all along (tendency to get hurt, hasn't ever put together a dominant season, control issues).
Ahhh... it's too nice of a day outside to be so cynical, but that's the truth.

fquaye149
06-30-2005, 02:59 PM
it just seems to me baseball tonight, heck, even espn as a whole has an unhealthy obsession with wood.

maurice
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Of course, if you try to have a discussion with a Cubs fan about the relative merits of Kerry Wood and why he hasn't won more than 14 games in any given season, they'll blame it on the lack of run support from the Cubs hitters

. . . notwithstanding the fact that plenty of guys have won 20 games on really bad teams and that plenty of Wood's teammates have won >14 games. The real reasons that Wood can't win 15 games are: (1) he's overrated, (2) he's injured all the time, (3) he refuses to pitch through any kind of pain, and (4) he wastes so many pitches that he's gone after only 6 IP, leaving 3 more innings for the pen to blow the lead and/or to earn the W.

Unfortunately, these reasons are all logical and fact-based. The media and cub fans are immune to such things.

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 03:07 PM
. . . notwithstanding the fact that plenty of guys have won 20 games on really bad teams and that plenty of Wood's teammates have won >14 games. The real reasons that Wood can't win 15 games are: (1) he's overrated, (2) he's injured all the time, (3) he refuses to pitch through any kind of pain, and (4) he wastes so many pitches that he's gone after only 6 IP, leaving 3 more innings for the pen to blow the lead and/or to earn the W.

Unfortunately, these reasons are all logical and fact-based. The media and cub fans are immune to such things.Anytime I hear Ace and Wood in the same sentence i want to puke.

mccoydp
06-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Unfortunately, these reasons are all logical and fact-based. The media and cub fans are immune to such things.

I think you summed it up pretty well.

Hangar18
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I wonder this everytime I turn on the TV, radio and open a paper. Kerry Wood is a good pitcher but the Chicago media and Cubs clowns treat him like he is Cy Young, Walter Johnson and Nolan ryan in one. Even on MLB.com there is a headline for Wood. His numbers yesterday were nearly identicle to McCarthy, yet the media make it sound like he struck out 20 again. It gets very nausiating after all these years.

YUP. McCarthy and Wood had basically the same stats for yesterdays games......but Look at the Back Page of todays Sun-Times.........
entire page of KERRY WOOD, complete with fans pics of "k's". Ridiculous

tebman
06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
it just seems to me baseball tonight, heck, even espn as a whole has an unhealthy obsession with wood.
I beg your pardon? :o:

fquaye149
06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
I beg your pardon? :o:

whhhatttt?:D:

Podzilla_40
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Of course, if you try to have a discussion with a Cubs fan about the relative merits of Kerry Wood and why he hasn't won more than 14 games in any given season, they'll blame it on the lack of run support from the Cubs hitters and then start saying that Woods's stuff is "electric" and babble on about if only Kid K can stay healthy, then who knows...
Unless I'm mistaken lack of run support does correlate with wins. They have a point about that. Say MB finishes the season with 18 wins, and someone ridiculed him for not reaching twenty. Would we reply with, "well he had a good ERA and didn't get enough run support." YES. It's a legitimate point. ERA>W.
Wood's a solid pitcher but has never matured and harnessed his stuff. Even though he is filthy when he is on, he is still only the 5th or 6th best pitcher in Chicago.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I find this comment funny coming from ESPN, along with comments like "Why doesn't Mark Buehrle get any love in Chicago?". It's because all of these no-talent assclowns in the media love to hype up the Cubs before each season, and then once things go sour, they jump on the bandwagon for the teams that are doing well and pretend like they knew it all along. I'm sure ESPN wasn't asking this same question at the beginning of the season...

maurice
06-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Unless I'm mistaken lack of run support does correlate with wins.

So do number of games started and number of innings pitched per game. Buehrle excels at these things, while Wood leads the league in simulated games started and simulated innings pitched.

itsnotrequired
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
So do number of games started and number of innings pitched per game. Buehrle excels at these things, while Wood leads the league in simulated games started and simulated innings pitched.

He also leads the league in simulated success.

White Sox Josh
06-30-2005, 07:08 PM
He also leads the league in simulated success.he is vying for the Simulated Cy Young.

SoxSpeed22
06-30-2005, 07:17 PM
he is vying for the Simulated Cy Young.He was also originally slated to start the Simulated All-Star Game.:rolleyes:

MeanFish
06-30-2005, 07:23 PM
no-talent assclowns

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/mugs/bolton.mug.jpg
"Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks!"

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2005, 12:17 AM
So do number of games started and number of innings pitched per game. Buehrle excels at these things, while Wood leads the league in simulated games started and simulated innings pitched.:gulp: have one on me!

TDog
07-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Unless I'm mistaken lack of run support does correlate with wins. They have a point about that. ...

Yes and no. Sometimes the reason your team doesn't score runs for you while you are holding down the opposition is that conditions make hitting difficult. Better pitchers also don't lose a lot of close games, even if they are low scoring. They often step it up in close games because they have to. You can have a wonderful ERA, but it doesn't get you much more than sympathy if you're losing 2-1 and 3-2 while winning 6-0.

I didn't see Wood's 20-strikeout game. I don't know how many career shutouts he has, but Mark Buehrle has probably pitched as many despite coming up to the majors later. The two games in Wood's career that stand out in my mind were ones where he should have had enough run support (but didn't) -- an 8-0 lead against the Sox -- and a game where the Marlins came from behind and ended the Cubs season in tears.

I think we should be talking about Wilbur Wood. In 1971 and 1972 alone he pitched more shutouts (15) than Kerry Wood will pitch in his entire career. Certainly Kerry Wood will never win as many games as Wilbur Wood over his career. If he becomes a closer, he won't save as many games as Wilbur Wood saved during his career.

In fact, I'm not sure that this year Kerry Wood will win many more games than Wilbur Wood will. At this point, Kerry Wood has just one more win.

FielderJones
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
I didn't see Wood's 20-strikeout game. I don't know how many career shutouts he has, but Mark Buehrle has probably pitched as many despite coming up to the majors later. The two games in Wood's career that stand out in my mind were ones where he should have had enough run support (but didn't) -- an 8-0 lead against the Sox -- and a game where the Marlins came from behind and ended the Cubs season in tears.

You have the same Internets as the rest of us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6525/career
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5982/career

Buehrle with 6 career shutouts, Wood with 5.

The real telling stat is career IP. Buehrle with 1110, Wood with 1075.1 despite first coming up two seasons earlier. No Wood MLB IP in 1999 at all!

Uncle_Patrick
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
The two games in Wood's career that stand out in my mind were ones where he should have had enough run support (but didn't) -- an 8-0 lead against the Sox --

I was at that game, it was the first Sox/Cubs game I ever went to. The Sox came back to win 13-9. Konerko hit a grandslam. What an awesome day that ended up being!

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Good article about wood today by Mac. I wish the National media would read this so they would stop drooling over this guy.
Mac's Article (http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/07/01/columnists/dan_mcneil/50aff9e8753c46c986257030007ae092.txt)

SoxFan78
07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Good article about wood today by Mac. I wish the National media would read this so they would stop drooling over this guy.
Mac's Article (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53161)

I think your link is wrong

White Sox Josh
07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I think your link is wrongjust fixed it.