PDA

View Full Version : MLB.TV blackout complaints

Huisj
06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I understand that the networks and stuff regulate where their blackout regions are, and there's really nothing that MLB.TV can do about it, but sometimes the blackout regulations really bug me.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI, and usually when the Sox play Detroit, I can get all the games on Fox Sports Detroit, the Tigers station. Well, this week, they decided to only show one of the games of the series (last night's), and there is NO TV coverage of the game today, nor was their any coverage of the game on Tuesday. However, since I'm in Grand Rapids, I'm in the designated blackout area for all Tiger games on MLB.TV, so I can't watch the Sox broadcast on there either. Instead I'll probably be treated to a stupid afternoon of reruns of Beyond the Glory, The Sports List, Poker, and maybe even a replay of the game from last night while the current game is going on.

This just irks me that there's no way I can watch a game because it's not even televised here, and yet it's still blacked out? What exactly are they blacking out if there is no broadcast? Who is benefitting from blacking it out? Who would be getting cheated if I were able to watch the game on my computer? It just makes no sense.

jkrohn
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I personally don't understand the blackout as it hits me hard :( Whenever we are on "national broadcast" for some reason it is never "nationaly broadcasted" to me. ESPN will be another game or WGN will be showing Angel re-runs :(

What I don't understand is why not let me watch online? The commercials are STILL THERE, advertisers are still getting the $$ and my stations don't care enough to show it anyway.

Stupid I tell ya, stupid.

tschneid83
06-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I paid for that also and quickly canceled since I was never able to see a game b/c of blackout garbage. I dont get it at all.

BNLSox
06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Don't I know it. When the Sox were in Oakland earlier this year the games were blacked out in LOS ANGELES?!?! I called the number to report that I felt the game had been blocked out in error and was put on hold for 45 minutes. I eventually gave up and was forced to watch the very exciting gamecast.

I have zero clue as to why the internet has broadcast blackouts!

BOOOO MLBtv blackouts. Yay White Sox!

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Because MLB.com broadcasts only one tv station. If today's game is broadcast using the Detroit broadcast, then the station carrying the Sox game can claim they're losing viewers and therefore advertising dollars. It's mostly bunk, but that's why it's done.

Huisj
06-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Because MLB.com broadcasts only one tv station. If today's game is broadcast using the Detroit broadcast, then the station carrying the Sox game can claim they're losing viewers and therefore advertising dollars. It's mostly bunk, but that's why it's done.

But here's my point: THERE IS NO DETROIT BROADCAST TODAY. None. No TV coverage at all. They are showing a show about golf courses right now. They can't complain about losing viewers if their number of viewers of the game is zero.

EDIT: ok, actually there are even more reasons why I'm a little bit pissed about today. I was hoping at one point to be able to drive out to Detroit for one of the games of this series, but those plants went "through the window" so the speak when on Monday night, some idiot kids threw bricks through the windsheild of my car when it was in a parking lot, leaving me stranded at home until my car is fixed. I thought, ok, no big deal, it's Detroit, so I'll at least be able to watch the games on TV. Guess I was wrong.

owensmouth
06-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Don't I know it. When the Sox were in Oakland earlier this year the games were blacked out in LOS ANGELES?!?! I called the number to report that I felt the game had been blocked out in error and was put on hold for 45 minutes. I eventually gave up and was forced to watch the very exciting gamecast.

BOOOO MLBtv blackouts. Yay White Sox!I had the same problem and called MLBTV. When I got thru to them they did something that allowed me to overcome their mistake and watch the game. Only thing I can say is call quickly. Then again, it doesn't bother me at all to just listen to John and Ed.

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
But here's my point: THERE IS NO DETROIT BROADCAST TODAY.

Ouch. I'd forgotten that not all the Tiger's games were televised. You haven't missed anything so far, rain delay.

elrod
06-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I've had a different experience so far. I live in Evanston so obviously MLBTV games are blacked out, which means I watch them on TV. But I'm in northern VA right now, right in the heart of Nationals territory, and the Nationals games are NOT blacked out. Now most people probably aren't aware of the horrible dispute going on between MASN (owned by Oriole owner Peter Angelos) and Comcast. As a result Comcast and most other providers in the DC area are refusing to show Nationals games on TV, leaving the team without any TV coverage. Maybe it's because of that that MLBTV decided not to black out any of the games here. But they didn't black out the Orioles games either, and those ARE on TV here. Interesting.

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Determining someone's location by IP is a very difficult problem. From what I understand it's impossible to be 100% accurate with the current internet. Last Friday's Cubs game wasn't blacked out for me from my office in the Loop. Today's is.

MikeLove
06-30-2005, 02:51 PM
yeah i was gonna say, is there any way to trick it into thinking you live in alaska or something? dont know if that would help anyway but just an idea

Jjav829
06-30-2005, 02:54 PM
You think that sucks. I live in Chicago. I have Comcast as my (digital) cable service provider and I can't even watch the game (if it ever gets going) because it is all choppy and half the time I get a screen saying, "One Moment Please: This channel should be available shortly."

Allow me to give everyone this great advice once again. If you are thinking of subscribing to Comcast Cable or anything from Comcast....DON'T!

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
You think that sucks. I live in Chicago. I have Comcast as my (digital) cable service provider and I can't even watch the game (if it ever gets going) because it is all choppy and half the time I get a screen saying, "One Moment Please: This channel should be available shortly."

Allow me to give everyone this great advice once again. If you are thinking of subscribing to Comcast Cable or anything from Comcast....DON'T!

Let me cry a river for you. I live downtown and can't even get digital cable. Something about the wires in my building. So I get crappy RCN analog that half the time can't get Comcast. My favorite is when they're having problems and they subsample and squeeze the HiDef signal into the analog 4:3 aspect ratio distorting everything.

Man I miss DirecTV.