PDA

View Full Version : Very Odd Dye Stat

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/lineup?team=chw
When batting in the #5 spot Dye has an OPS of .569 in 110 PA.
When batting in the #6 spot Dye has an OPS of 1.035 in 156 PA.

Unsurprisingly, Dye is the #6 spot tonight.

That's just a really weird split.

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I sure hope he stays there permantly.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 11:43 AM
I sure hope he stays there permantly.

And permanently, too!:D:

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
And permanently, too!:D:

That too. lol. ;)

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
I think it has more to do with whom else is in the line up and whether the SP is a lefty or righty than whether he's batting 5th or 6th.

Huisj
06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Also, wasn't he batting 5th a lot at the beginning of the season when he was terrible and in a huge slump? And hasn't he been in the 6th spot since Thomas came back, which is also when he has been red hot.

Ok, that sounds kind of dumb I know, but my point is that it's probably not the place in the lineup that makes him hit good or bad. He happened to be slumping early on, and he also happened to be hitting #5 then. He happened to get real hot, and about that same time, he happened to be hitting #6 a lot. I don't think that the move to #6 necessarily caused him to start hitting well though.

Jjav829
06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Also, wasn't he batting 5th a lot at the beginning of the season when he was terrible and in a huge slump? And hasn't he been in the 6th spot since Thomas came back, which is also when he has been red hot.

Ok, that sounds kind of dumb I know, but my point is that it's probably not the place in the lineup that makes him hit good or bad. He happened to be slumping early on, and he also happened to be hitting #5 then. He happened to get real hot, and about that same time, he happened to be hitting #6 a lot. I don't think that the move to #6 necessarily caused him to start hitting well though.

No, that sounds fine. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the stats. For the first month or so, Dye hit 5th behind Konerko. He was really bad in April though, so Ozzie moved Rowand up to the 5th spot and put Dye 6. From then on it was usually Rowand, Everett and Konerko in the 3,4,5 spots with Rowand batting either 3rd or 5th. That's when Dye started to get hot so his numbers in the #6 spot look much better.

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM

That's was my assumption as well. I don't have the inclination to go through the game logs to verify it, though. The only thing that gives me pause is that the PA numbers are relatively even and sufficiently high.