PDA

View Full Version : Sox Magic Number...

jabrch
06-30-2005, 01:48 AM
77 by my math...

I know it is early - but never too early to start a Magic Number!!!

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 01:57 AM
At this rate, we're on track for 58 W in 1st half, or 116 by season's end. Is that even conceivable!?! Perfection would be slamming through the playoffs and sweeping the Scrubs in the WS who somehow win the wildcard (actually one game down in L column tonight) and beat the Cards.

ShoelessJoeS
06-30-2005, 02:06 AM
ill be satisfied when i see that big fat zero :cool:

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Perfection would be slamming through the playoffs and sweeping the Scrubs in the WS who somehow win the wildcard (actually one game down in L column tonight) and beat the Cards.Sorry, but in my world, perfection does not include the Cubs making it to the WS. It doesn't even include the Cubs making the playoffs.

NWSox
06-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Sorry, but in my world, perfection does not include the Cubs making it to the WS. It doesn't even include the Cubs making the playoffs.

I second that sentiment.

doublem23
06-30-2005, 03:03 AM
At this rate, we're on track for 58 W in 1st half, or 116 by season's end. Is that even conceivable!?! Perfection would be slamming through the playoffs and sweeping the Scrubs in the WS who somehow win the wildcard (actually one game down in L column tonight) and beat the Cards.

Actually not. The "first half" of the season (before the All-Star Break) actually consists of 10 more games (86) than the second half (76). However, if the Sox continue to win at the .684 clip that they are currently at, they will finish the year 111-51 (rounding, of course).

And perfection would see the Scrubs tank and not win another game all year.

MikeLove
06-30-2005, 03:13 AM
theres something so compelling about those little cubs fans getting their hopes up and then have it all crashing down. /cue pic of girl crying in the cubs winter hat. Id rather see a 2003 epic choke again then them finish under 500. Well maybe, thats a tough call. I am really interested however though in how the cubs will draw after like 3 consecutive losing seasons, im pretty sure 2003 brought a lot of people onboard that dont know that the cubs are historically NOT good.

IA_soxfan
06-30-2005, 03:16 AM
77 by my math...

Please stop. No offense, but I think posting magic numbers this early in the season is a major jinx. Especially with a team of Minnesota's calibur in our division.

Foulke You
06-30-2005, 03:21 AM
Sorry, but in my world, perfection does not include the Cubs making it to the WS. It doesn't even include the Cubs making the playoffs.
Allow me to third that sentiment.

skobabe8
06-30-2005, 03:38 AM
Please stop. No offense, but I think posting magic numbers this early in the season is a major jinx. Especially with a team of Minnesota's calibur in our division.

I'm pretty supersticious, but I cant even find much wrong in posting the magic number. Is it a little early? Of course. Is it cool to think about what it is now and what it could be a couple months from now? ABSOLUTELY!

WhosKarkovice?
06-30-2005, 03:47 AM
i dont want to see the cubs anywhere near the playoffs, this is our year. i dont want to hear all the lame comparisons to last years boston team and how maybe the cubs can "beat that curse"....

:pukes:

i'd rather see cards vs sox in the WS.
the return of tony laru to the southside.

DumpJerry
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
77 by my math...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings
Your math is correct.

BTW, I fully agree that the Flubs must NOT make the playoffs. Talk about stealing our thunder! Even after the Flubs are eliminated in the playoffs and we win the WS, the mediots will focus on which new curse prevented the freaks from making the WS. There will be a footnote about who made the World Series, etc.....

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 07:53 AM

Yes, perfection would be the Sox winning the Series against the Cards with the cubs missing the playoffs.

soxjim
06-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Im sure the magic number is 77. I called a friend from Detroit and he wants me to make a sign at todays game with magic number 77. My wife and I both refused to do that. Way to early.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-30-2005, 08:15 AM

Leave the Children out of it. This season, it's about the Sox - not who we beat to win it all.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2005, 08:43 AM
I'd like all the attention that goes along with making the playoffs. If the Flubs make it, even as a wildcard, most of the attention will be on them in the Chicago media, even if we did win well over 100 games.

Let's make Chicago a Sox town! :cool:

Hitmen77
06-30-2005, 09:42 AM

NO WAY do I want to see the Cubs anywhere near the playoffs! I suppose perfection for you would be the Sox being ignored during their championship run as all of Chicago fawns over the Cubs. :?:

Hitmen77
06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I'd like all the attention that goes along with making the playoffs. If the Flubs make it, even as a wildcard, most of the attention will be on them in the Chicago media, even if we did win well over 100 games.

Let's make Chicago a Sox town! :cool:

What's up with the big blue "WSI Lamer" tag? How did you get that?

itsnotrequired
06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
If the rained-out game against Texas isn't made up, wouldn't the magic number be 76?

downstairs
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM

Absolutely agree with this.

The only damper on this season is the possibility of the Cubs making it into the playoffs. I believe the beauty of the playoffs is that the whole city gets behind you. That would not happen if the Cubs were there.

Until we win one WS, I would be very pissed off if we had to deal with a Cubs/Sox world series. I am not a fan of Chicago baseball, I am a fan of the Sox.

So my "ultimate" would be 116 wins, and a WS win. Prior and Wood being shut down for the season, Zambrano suspended for the season after throwing anoter fit, and the Scrubs fighting for a good draft pick.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Absolutely agree with this....

So my "ultimate" would be 116 wins, and a WS win. Prior and Wood being shut down for the season, Zambrano suspended for the season after throwing anoter fit, and the Scrubs fighting for a good draft pick.

I completely agree and I'll go you better.
:cool:

1. Cubune editor Ann Marie Lipinski resigns in shame after it's revealed the Cubune has been oversstating circulation figures and bilking their advertisers for years.

2. Jay Mariotti is fired from the Sun-Times for fabricating stories.

3. Infinity Broadcasting changes their sports talk radio station call letters back to WMAQ and fires morning dope Mike North. MediaTroll Murph leaves with him. "With the arrival of the Sox, we're going to make WMAQ a first-class organ-eye-zation," says Infinity's president.

4. The NHL keeps the players locked out. Nobody notices.

5. The Fire quietly ends their season. No hype about the new soccer stadium until next spring.

6. The Bears lose their first seven games and Mac, Jurko & Harry commit communal suicide during their afternoon drive show.

The Chicago media has NOTHING to talk about except the Greatest Baseball Team the city has ever produced: the 2005 White Sox.

Now THAT would be perfect.

dcb33
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we shouldn't be discounting the Royals. Their magic number is only 113.

Jerko
06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes, perfection would be the Sox winning the Series against the Cards with the cubs missing the playoffs.

Perfection would be the Sox winning the series and the Cubs ceasing to exist.

cleanwsox
06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
6. The Bears lose their first seven games and Mac, Jurko & Harry commit communal suicide during their afternoon drive show.

Easy now, I might commit suicide if the Bears lose their first seven games. Although I would gladly trade a horrible Bears season for White Sox World Series victory.

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Here's another number: 28. That's how many games the Sox are over .500. It's large enough to be nearly meaningless. 28 is a lot of games above .500, but so is 21 even though there's a week's difference between the two.

So here's a new number: 4. That's how many games the Sox are over .667.

Sxy Mofo
06-30-2005, 10:54 AM

Bite your tongue. Nothing would make me happier than watching the bears win earlier in the day, only to stay at the sports bar and watch the sox (win) playoff games.

anewman35
06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
If the rained-out game against Texas isn't made up, wouldn't the magic number be 76?

It's gonna be made up - doubleheader August 30th.

gobears1987
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
I second that sentiment.
I also agree there.

Brian26
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM

Not this season. I agree 100%. This is our ****ing year. F the scrubs, seriously.

DaleJRFan
06-30-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm sorry, but I really don't care.... Jinxes and Curses are for the Cubs.

I luuuuv the Magic Number.

TornLabrum
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM

1. Cubune editor Ann Marie Lipinski resigns in shame after it's revealed the Cubune has been oversstating circulation figures and bilking their advertisers for years.

3. Infinity Broadcasting changes their sports talk radio station call letters back to WMAQ and fires morning dope Mike North. MediaTroll Murph leaves with him. "With the arrival of the Sox, we're going to make WMAQ a first-class organ-eye-zation," says Infinity's president.

5. The Fire quietly ends their season. No hype about the new soccer stadium until next spring.

The Chicago media has NOTHING to talk about except the Greatest Baseball Team the city has ever produced: the 2005 White Sox.

He's baaaaaaack!

itsnotrequired
06-30-2005, 11:11 AM
It's gonna be made up - doubleheader August 30th.

Thanks. Not that I really care about the magic number right now. I was just curious.

spiffie
06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
It would be nice to see the Orioles come here in the playoffs and beat them. Not only could we exorcise the memories of 1983, but the Flub fans could have to deal with their hated rivals AND their former hero in the same playoff series.

tebman
06-30-2005, 11:14 AM

:thumbsup: Looks like a road map to me!

TDog
06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
People who talk about magic numbers are like teachers who count down the days off until the end of the school year. It's like, "all we have to do is ...." Really, the Sox need to do more. They are the clear front runners in their quest to win the division, but that still leaves them with two playoff series to get to the World Series. Magic numbers, particularly in three-division leagues, don't mean much to me in late June. They are for teams that are coasting.

My introduction to magic numbers came in 1969, when I was just coming of age as a baseball fan and learning to hate the Cubs. In the summer, people were talking about magic numbers, with the Cubs up 8.5 games in August. They continued to talk magic numbers until the Mets clinched the title. The morning the playoffs started, a man on the radio put it into perspective for me.

"For you Cubs fans," he said, "their magic number next year is 162."

SOXPHILE
06-30-2005, 11:33 AM

Count me among those who agree. Actually, perfection is the White Sox winning the Series, and the Cubs, well, not only do they finish under .500 and miss the playoffs, but the team is disbanded, the Urinal torn/burned down, the area is paved over and made into a water park or something, all memorabilia, hats, pennants, jerseys, etc. is rounded up, and burned in bonfires thoughout the city, all fans are banished to a new space station on the moon, or sent to re-education camps to clear their minds about any Cub thoughts and love they may have. Congress shall pass a law stating that the words "baseball" and "Cubs" may never appear in the same sentance, and in fact the word "cub" is to only be used to refer to baby bears, lions, tigers etc. when visiting the zoo and watching Animal Planet.:redneck

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM

It's already been covered that the game will be made up, but even if it wasn't the magic number would still be 77. The number is influenced more by the 2nd place team's standings than the 1st place team's.

There are multiple formulas for calculating the magic number but the most straightforeward one is:

Number of games in a season (played by 2nd place team) - 2nd place team's losses
(this gives you the most wins possible by the 2nd place team)

add 1
(this gives you the minimum number of wins to clinch if the 2nd place team wins out)

subtract 1st place team's wins
(magic number!)

162 - 34 + 1 - 52 = 77

The magic number would only be affected by rainouts if it was the 2nd place team that didn't make up a game. This reduces the number of wins they can possibly have. For example if the Twins were rained out in an NL park and couldn't make it up the above would look like:

161 - 34 + 1 - 52 = 76

The Sox getting rained out doesn't affect the total number of possible wins for the Twins (unless of course the rained out game was against the Twins).

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 12:09 PM
not that I care about the magic number, but the rest of the thread is great. Nice post PHG !

any other comparable suggestions out there?

(7) Moronatti, after getting fired by the Cub-Times, hits his low point, 12 steps his self gradizing, lying ways and kisses both JR and Hawk's behinds

(8) the vines die by themselves at the Urinal out of pure shame

(9) Bleachers on Waveland spontaneously combusts and falls into a hole in the earth

(10) Diaper King "Brownie R Bust" wins the Scrubs from the Cubune in a defamation suit and moves the team to Amarillo, TX

(11) the Urinal becomes a fast food restaurant, serving "Giant Clams", but is closed after two weeks after mysterious deaths. Autopsies were inconclusive as to the cause of death due to mulitple causes: embedded scullular concrete, ursus spongititus, aka "mad scrub" disease, really foul clams in the gut

(12) Cubune Corp, suffering great losses in the courts, upon investigations of further circulation & accounting frauds, becomes a shell of its former self and is bought by the Park Forest Reporter

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2005, 12:12 PM
I would love to see someone have a magic number countdown at games this year. I am supremely confident in calling this race over.

I don't care about jinxes. How many times have we sat back in second place and looked at the numbers that just do not add up. This year we are in that position. If you look at it logically, it is very difficult to make a case for the Sox not winning the division or at the very least making the playoffs. It would not even take a meltdown. It would take a major airieal tragedy.

itsnotrequired
06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
It's already been covered that the game will be made up, but even if it wasn't the magic number would still be 77. The number is influenced more by the 2nd place team's standings than the 1st place team's.

There are multiple formulas for calculating the magic number but the most straightforeward one is:

Number of games in a season (played by 2nd place team) - 2nd place team's losses
(this gives you the most wins possible by the 2nd place team)

add 1
(this gives you the minimum number of wins to clinch if the 2nd place team wins out)

subtract 1st place team's wins
(magic number!)

162 - 34 + 1 - 52 = 77

The magic number would only be affected by rainouts if it was the 2nd place team that didn't make up a game. This reduces the number of wins they can possibly have. For example if the Twins were rained out in an NL park and couldn't make it up the above would look like:

161 - 34 + 1 - 52 = 76

The Sox getting rained out doesn't affect the total number of possible wins for the Twins (unless of course the rained out game was against the Twins).

The RIOT pages have the first place number for the Sox at 75. That's for a tie so wouldn't the magic number be 76? Are they missing the make-up game?

The RIOT rankings are great. It takes into account the remaining schedule rather than just the remaining games. As of right now, the Royals could win every one of their remaining games and not be guarenteed a playoff spot.

http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/american_league.html

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
The RIOT pages have the first place number for the Sox at 75. That's for a tie so wouldn't the magic number be 76? Are they missing the make-up game?

The RIOT rankings are great. It takes into account the remaining schedule rather than just the remaining games. As of right now, the Royals could win every one of their remaining games and not be guarenteed a playoff spot.

Took me a minute to reconcile that, but they're right, it's 75 to tie because the Sox/Twins have 13 games remaining with each other. Assuming both teams win all of their 73 games against other teams, with their current lead the Sox only have to beat the twice to clinch.

While more accurate than the traditional magic number, this number has the drawback that it can actually increase if the third place team overtakes the second place team. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

itsnotrequired
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Took me a minute to reconcile that, but they're right, it's 75 to tie because the Sox/Twins have 13 games remaining with each other. Assuming both teams win all of their 73 games against other teams, with their current lead the Sox only have to beat the twice to clinch.

While more accurate than the traditional magic number, this number has the drawback that it can actually increase if the third place team overtakes the second place team. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

They get a lot more fun later in the season when teams start getting eliminated from the playoffs. The traditional "magic number" will tell you a team still has an outside chance but once you factor in what teams are playing each other, teams get eliminated much sooner.

The Dude
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
77 by my math...

After last nights game I wondered what the magic number might be. I think it's never too early to start keeping track! Thanks jabrch.:D: I for one dont believe in curses/jinxes whatever. Thats for those blue cool-aid drinking idiots up north and their red cousins to the east.

scottjanssens
06-30-2005, 01:29 PM
They get a lot more fun later in the season when teams start getting eliminated from the playoffs. The traditional "magic number" will tell you a team still has an outside chance but once you factor in what teams are playing each other, teams get eliminated much sooner.

The magic number only applies to first place teams. For any non-first place team the magic number is greater than the number of games remaining. For example the magic number formula yields 97 for the Twins who have 86 games left. All the traditional magic number tells you about non-first place teams is that they need help.

The RIOT numbers tell you a little more. Right now the Twins technically control their destiny. If they win 85 of their 86 games (including sweeping the Sox the rest of the season) they'll clinch the central.

I prefer the stadard magic number as a countdown value. But the RIOT numbers are interesting as well. I'm still trying to make sense of the avoid elimnation values.

MikeLove
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
we should have a magic number countdown somewhere up top on the webpage, i think it would be fun =)

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Hard to believe we could have a magic number close to 60 by the all star break!

jabrch
06-30-2005, 08:37 PM

I think I will choose to enjoy being a fan of the team, the same way I always do...if we are winning, or losing, I want to look to forward to what could happen, not cry about what might happen. If you want a glass half (or more) empty, there are always loads of those threads to click. But my threads won't be that way...unless the entire glass empties out.

That's the great thing about being a fan - everyone has their own way to show it.

Magic Number - 76

jabrch
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM

I'll go one better...Willsy is in the booth on opening day 2006 and is on the field for the WS Ring Ceremony!

jabrch
07-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Magic Number...74 and dropping fast!

Tekijawa
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Magic Number...74 and dropping fast!

I've seen it drop 89 in my sig alone!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Easy now, I might commit suicide if the Bears lose their first seven games. Although I would gladly trade a horrible Bears season for White Sox World Series victory.

Meh... even after losing their first seven, the Bears could come back and still make the playoffs. It's only the NFL... their entire season is only 16 lousy games. A fumble here, a blocked field goal there, the Bears are right back in the playoff hunt.

However DEATH is FOREVER. If we get Mac, Jurko & Harry to commit suicide over a Bears losing streak, we never again have to listen to them spend 4 hours fawning over a third string quarterback.

Sign me up!
:thumbsup:

jabrch
07-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Down to 70!!!

voodoochile
07-07-2005, 01:49 AM
I am pretty sure the magic number to eliminate KC from the divisional race is...

drum roll please...

You can almost start counting that badboy down...:cool:

jabrch
07-16-2005, 10:44 AM
64!

HawkDJ
07-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Actually our real magic number is 62 according to RIOT:

They use a formula superior to the traditional magic number that considers a tie at the end of the year as well as the number of times we play Minnesota. Read about it here:
http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/faq.html

FielderJones
07-16-2005, 12:08 PM
62 is clinching a tie for first. 63 wins the division outright.