PDA

View Full Version : Around Jacobs Field

MarkZ35
06-29-2005, 11:32 PM
My brother and I are planning on going to see the Sox play the Tribe in Cleveland on the 16th and 17th of July and I was wondering if anyone knows how the area was, whats a nice hotel or the hotel the Sox stay in, any really good restaurants, and if you know of any good attractions.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 11:45 PM
The Chop House is quite good (it's downtown). Shooters is a decent bar. The Winking Lizard is fun and close to the Park. As is the Boneyard. There is a nice Embassy Suites a few mins from the Park.

ATXBMX
06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. They kiss major ass if you can afford it. It's only a couple blocks from the park.

Definitely check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. They kiss major ass if you can afford it. It's only a couple blocks from the park.

Definitely check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Only bad thing about the Rock 'n Roll HOF is it's expensive.

DaveIsHere
06-30-2005, 09:00 AM
I will be there on the 16th, out in right field. Hopefully try and run into some of the players that evening.

SOXPHILE
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
My wife's parents lived near Cleveland from 1996-2002 due to a job transfer. The stadium is right next to Gund Arena. Also, the "Flats" is right near by, down by the river (in a van). It is a whole steet of bars, clubs and restaurants. That's pretty fun if you like the nightlife.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 10:46 AM
My wife's parents lived near Cleveland from 1996-2002 due to a job transfer. The stadium is right next to Gund Arena. Also, the "Flats" is right near by, down by the river (in a van). It is a whole steet of bars, clubs and restaurants. That's pretty fun if you like the nightlife.

Not sure if I'd head to the flats. I'd stick to Gateway and the Wharehouse District.

SOXPHILE
06-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Not sure if I'd head to the flats. I'd stick to Gateway and the Wharehouse District.

Hmmm...Really ? Has it changed for the worse ? I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know. It was fun the times I went there, but that would be a shame if it went downhill.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Hmmm...Really ? Has it changed for the worse ? I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know. It was fun the times I went there, but that would be a shame if it went downhill.

I just think the above areas are more fun. And the flats isn't he best area in the city...but IMO, not bad. Gateway is where the ballpark is and there are many bars within a 10-15 minute walk of the Jake that I think are probly more fun. The Winking Lizard has one of the best beer lists in the state and the best for a chain probly in the midwest. The Boneyard also has a nice selection of some different beers. Also an Irish Pub there (forget the name). And I really do recommend the Chop House for dinner. They have terrific cornbread, make their own beer, and serve a wonderful steak or fish. Much better than the Mortons or whatever is in Tower City by the Ritz.

TomBradley72
06-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I was there in April...stayed at new Hilton Garden Inn...right across from the ballpark...reasonable price....I went to the Rock n Roll Museum and the Space Center (right next to each other)...they are on the lake...pretty cool. There's also a House of Blues close by that seems to draw some pretty good talent.

IlliniSox
06-30-2005, 02:27 PM

The Flats were jumping about 5 years ago, last August the place was dead in the middle of the summer. The Wharehouse District is the best place to try to get a decent meal and have a drink.

ilsox7
06-30-2005, 02:31 PM
The Flats were jumping about 5 years ago, last August the place was dead in the middle of the summer. The Wharehouse District is the best place to try to get a decent meal and have a drink.

Sounds right. As a disclaimer to all of my comments in this thread, I lived in Cleveland the last half of 2003. It was great when I got off of work early enough I could go home and walk to the Park and get in for $5. Loved those days.

robertks61
06-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Bertmans Ballpark Mustard served at Jacobs Field is excellent. I found a grocery store near our hotel that sold it so I brought some back. The only problem when we went there to see the Sox is that Danny Wright started for the Sox. Enough said!

SOXSINCE'70
06-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Only bad thing about the Rock 'n Roll HOF is it's expensive.

What isn't expensive in 2005????:dunno: :dunno:

buehrle4cy05
06-30-2005, 05:49 PM
What isn't expensive in 2005????:dunno: :dunno:

:hawk
"You're dad gum right. Back in my day, it would cost $1 to get into a game, and you wouldn't spend more than another dollar on concessions. Mercy!"

CubKilla
06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Me and a friend will be out there for the games on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. If you like good, quality beer, I suggest a stop at the Great Lakes Brewery. Me and my friend will be making our first visit there.

WagMan
06-30-2005, 11:15 PM
If I remember correctly from my trip last year, Alice Cooper owns a bar right across the street from the park? I believe it's called Cooperstown? If that's correct, then, that's a cool place to go after the game.

MtEverett
06-30-2005, 11:50 PM
If I remember correctly from my trip last year, Alice Cooper owns a bar right across the street from the park? I believe it's called Cooperstown? If that's correct, then, that's a cool place to go after the game.

Alice Cooperstown, stay away, its lame.
Panini's is a few blocks further down and pretty cool, go there. The flats isnt what it use to be, the "new" area is called the wharehouse district and is actually only a few blocks away. I'll be at the Hilton garden inn as well; was there last year. Got seats right behind the sox dugout July 15th and 16th, stttrreetttchhhh!:gulp:

GoRowand33
07-01-2005, 01:15 AM
last year i went over 2 cleveland to see the sox get dominated and lose 9-0 :whiner:

but yeah its a nice area, the shooters bar has some good food and the rock an roll hof is incredible

ilsox7
07-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Me and a friend will be out there for the games on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. If you like good, quality beer, I suggest a stop at the Great Lakes Brewery. Me and my friend will be making our first visit there.

Oh yes. As a big time beer geek, Great Lakes was a regular spot for me. It's over the bridge on W. 26th, but it is phenomenal. Get the Pretzel Chicken. Have an Elliot Ness. Then order whatever special brew they have goign at the time. It will be heaven.

irish rover
07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I've stayed at this Radisson, the team sometimes stays there to.

http://www.radisson.com/clevelandoh_gateway

IlliniSox
07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I've stayed at this Radisson, the team sometimes stays there to.

http://www.radisson.com/clevelandoh_gateway

They stayed at the Ritz Carlton last year, everyone was in the lobby bar after the Friday game.

Highlight: Greg Walker was the coolest, most approachable Sox guy I've ever came across.

Lowlight: Watching Joe Borchard in Armanni wade through the $ hundreds in his money wad.

MarkZ35
07-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone on the site lives in Ohio or near Cleveland to get a UPC code off of a can to use Online for the Indians Sox series coming up this weekend. I think they have like the schedule on the can like the Sox sometimes do because any of the cans i try to use that I've bought in Illinois don't work. Any help would be great.

Fenway
07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
One of the big mysteries in 2005 is where have all the Indians fans gone. Right now they rank 28th in attendance with a decent team. Can they still be mad about losing Manny?

EastCoastSoxFan
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
One of the big mysteries in 2005 is where have all the Indians fans gone. Right now they rank 28th in attendance with a decent team. Can they still be mad about losing Manny?
I don't know, but I last week was able to get seats behind the plate for Friday's and Saturday's games. A couple of years ago I tried to get tickets in March and the entire season was already sold out...