PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy is going to be a hell of a pitcher...

Tragg
06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
for us (unless we do something stupid and dump him for some stiff). Maybe it's because I've seen only his 2 best outings (ESPN graced us with some innings tonight), but if he throws strikes, he's an excellent pitcher. And struggling with control is a common malady for young pitchers. He has the guts to pitch out of trouble as well. I don't know what the radar gun shows but his pitches look like darts to me.

It may not be this year or next, but soon enough he will have a prominent place in the rotation, as I see it. As it is, he's a hell of a lot better than any 5th starter we pushed out there last year (which isn't saying much, admittedly).

DickAllen72
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
BMac appears to have a bright future ahead of him, but he's not quite there yet. If it wasn't for his phenominal spring training, he would have been at AA this season.

He was high in the zone again tonight, and he was hit pretty hard. Still, he had a decent game giving up three runs in six innings. Not great, but not too bad, and certainly an improvement over his past two outings.

Still, I hope El Duque gets well soon, so BMac can work on his location and on his changeup down in AA or AAA.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
for us (unless we do something stupid and dump him for some stiff). Maybe it's because I've seen only his 2 best outings (ESPN graced us with some innings tonight), but if he throws strikes, he's an excellent pitcher. And struggling with control is a common malady for young pitchers. He has the guts to pitch out of trouble as well. I don't know what the radar gun shows but his pitches look like darts to me.

It may not be this year or next, but soon enough he will have a prominent place in the rotation, as I see it. As it is, he's a hell of a lot better than any 5th starter we pushed out there last year (which isn't saying much, admittedly).Ow!! I've gotten whiplash. Earlier today we had a thread about how people's patience was wearing thin with McCarthy.:rolleyes:

Tragg
06-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Ow!! I've gotten whiplash. Earlier today we had a thread about how people's patience was wearing thin with McCarthy.:rolleyes:

Thankfully, I missed that one. If I am willing to support crede after 3 seasons, I sure as hell am not interested in giving up on a guy with 3 major league starts.

RichFitztightly
06-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Hawk and DJ were drooling over his performance today. I'd rate it as an above average outing. Certainly good enough for a number 5 starter, nothing lights out. He gave up quite a few hits that should have been homers, and probably would have if they were playing at home.

He'll be good. Right now he's servicable.

elrod
06-29-2005, 10:36 PM
McCarthy was solid but he definitely benefited from a deep ballpark. There were moments when he dominated. But he could easily have fallen behind 3-0 in the first if not for I-Rod's long fly out to right. At the Cell it's a home run.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 10:39 PM
McCarthy was solid but he definitely benefited from a deep ballpark. There were moments when he dominated. But he could easily have fallen behind 3-0 in the first if not for I-Rod's long fly out to right. At the Cell it's a home run.I think we can assume that's one reason Ozzie pushed his start back to today.

BlackHat91
06-29-2005, 10:41 PM
McCarthy definetely has what looks to be the makings of a good pitcher. However, he still has a ways to go to get to that level. I am confident that if the SOX keep him around that he will continue to improve. Give this kid a sandwich and send him to the weightroom. A couple pounds of muscle mass would do this kid some good.

elrod
06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I think we can assume that's one reason Ozzie pushed his start back to today.

Yeah, I'd like to see him in a night game in Oakland or some other pitcher's haven. Maybe Seattle. The only time he's pitched well in non-pitcher-friendly conditions was his first start at Wrigley when the wind was blowing out. Still, I was really happy with his control and his command of the curve ball. Certainly something to build on.

JB98
06-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Thankfully, I missed that one. If I am willing to support crede after 3 seasons, I sure as hell am not interested in giving up on a guy with 3 major league starts.

I don't think anyone was giving up on him. Quite a few, myself included, expressed skepticism that he is ready to pitch at the big-league level. People blew it all out of proportion and said we were "giving up on him." I think McCarthy has a great future. I'm just not convinced the future is now. If he backs up tonight's fine effort with another one against Tampa Bay, maybe I'll reconsider my position.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-29-2005, 10:57 PM
His best stat of the night was the 0 in the BB column. Now that he has found the zone, If he starts working down, he'll be just fine.

lostletters
06-29-2005, 11:38 PM
McCarthy will be a great pitcher, in a year or maybe two. He needs to learn more pitches. If he had a cutter and sinker in his arsenal he has the potential to be a great pitcher.

If he learns a cutter, or sinker, or both he can have a great career in the majors as a starter.

I don't think he needs to go to the weight room, he does have natural talent. Lanky guys can be great pitchers. He just needs 4-5 pitches.

FarWestChicago
06-29-2005, 11:49 PM
BMac appears to have a bright future ahead of him, but he's not quite there yet. If you insist on using the tired, lame appellation "BMac", I am going to change your user title to "WSI Lamer". The same goes for anybody else using that played out crap. Jesus H, when old men have a better sense of what is cool than kids you have to wonder what the hell this world is coming to. :o:

Unregistered
06-29-2005, 11:54 PM
If you insist on using the tired, lame appellation "BMac", I am going to change your user title to "WSI Lamer". The same goes for anybody else using that played out crap. Jesus H, when old men have a better sense of what is cool than kids you have to wonder what the hell this world is coming to. :o:I think people say it just cause it's easier to type "BMAC" than "Brandon McCarthy" every time the guy is mentioned. How 'bout "McC"? :D:

Mr. White Sox
06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
I don't really know if McCarthy needs a sinker; he's more of a flyball pitcher anyway. If he developes a good 2-seamer or cutter, then that's basically all he needs. He really just needs to work on his changeup control; when he was getting it over in the later innings he looked quite a bit better.

ode to veeck
06-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Ow!! I've gotten whiplash. Earlier today we had a thread about how people's patience was wearing thin with McCarthy

The dark clouds have no effect on me anymore, my ears are deaf to the chicken littles of Soxdom, so my neck didn't get too bent :redneck

McCarthy's looking pretty good for 21 and hardly any experience under his belt. He has 2/3 quality starts already, and really deserved a beer bath for that first win again tonight. It should taste all the better then, as it's inevitably not too far off for this kid.

TaylorStSox
06-29-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't really know if McCarthy needs a sinker; he's more of a flyball pitcher anyway. If he developes a good 2-seamer or cutter, then that's basically all he needs. He really just needs to work on his changeup control; when he was getting it over in the later innings he looked quite a bit better.

It looked like he was throwing a 2 seamer tonight. I assume they were 2 seamers because they were around 87-88 with alot of movement. The one to K Inge looked real nice.

guillen4life13
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
If you insist on using the tired, lame appellation "BMac", I am going to change your user title to "WSI Lamer". The same goes for anybody else using that played out crap. Jesus H, when old men have a better sense of what is cool than kids you have to wonder what the hell this world is coming to. :o:

I think people actually say that because that was his username when he posted briefly over a year ago (2004 Spring Training).

soxfanreggie
06-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I don't think he minds if we call him BMac. It was awesome that he did post here before.

SoxSpeed22
06-30-2005, 12:13 AM
The beginning of the year, I knew he wasn't complete yet. Because he only had 2 strong pitches. Once the change-up gets some downward motion and he can spot his fastball. We're lookin' at a long time ace before the Yankees sign him.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 12:39 AM
I think people actually say that because that was his username when he posted briefly over a year ago (2004 Spring Training).Yeah, and that was when the whole first intitial, first syllable thing was getting really, really old, spent, used up, moldy. Now it's beyond done. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't think he minds if we call him BMac.You got it, Chief.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 12:47 AM
I think people actually say that because that was his username when he posted briefly over a year ago (2004 Spring Training).No problem.

batmanZoSo
06-30-2005, 12:50 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. :cool: Lamer.

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by who cares!!
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).

OMG, did this actually get posted!!?!? There must be some kind of persistent dark cloudititus going around, kinda like the antibiotic resistant staff infections you get in a bad hospital, ... or what Pigpen had in Peanuts

come to think of it, that might make a cool tag, the one Peanuts strip where Pigpen starts out cleaned up and just transforms into pigpen like the wolfman without any effort whatsoever

doublem23
06-30-2005, 02:06 AM

Boy, I hope not. A flyball pitcher at the Cell? Ouch.

Anyways, if McCarthy can provide outings like this the rest of the time he's needed in the Show, I'll be happy. Just throw strikes, Brandon!

JB98
06-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Boy, I hope not. A flyball pitcher at the Cell? Ouch.

Anyways, if McCarthy can provide outings like this the rest of the time he's needed in the Show, I'll be happy. Just throw strikes, Brandon!

The lack of walks was definitely the most encouraging sign from the outing tonight. He does need to develop a sinker though. Garland is a sinker-baller, and he's 7-1 at the Cell this year. Buerhle's done a better job of keeping the ball low this year too, and we've seen the positive results.

Then, you look at Garcia, who is a fly-ball pitcher. He's been outstanding on the road. I think he's 5-1 away from the Cell. It's a little tougher for him at home. When he has his best stuff (like he did against the Cubs), it doesn't matter. But it's harder for Freddy to get away with having mediocre stuff at the Cell just because he gives up a lot of fly balls. It might be the same way for McCarthy.

Hopefully, Brandon can refine that change-up of his. If he can disrupt the timing of the hitters, there will be more balls hit off the end of the bat, and those are usually harmless fly outs.

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 06:56 AM
I don't think he minds if we call him BMac. It was awesome that he did post here before.

I may be on crack or something but I swear I heard one of the Sox player call him B-mac in a radio interview. maybe it wasnt a Sox player....maybe an announcer or reporter. Either way, I heard it on the radio and it wasnt a fan calling in to a show.

DumpJerry
06-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Hey FWest, chill on the BMac temper tantrum, it's just shorthand.

Mr. McCarthy will be starting on the 4th of July against TB. Almost sold out game, a good chance to show off his stuff to the "family.":smile:

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 06:58 AM
[/i]

OMG, did this actually get posted!!?!? There must be some kind of persistent dark cloudititus going around, kinda like the antibiotic resistant staff infections you get in a bad hospital, ... or what Pigpen had in Peanuts

come to think of it, that might make a cool tag, the one Peanuts strip where Pigpen starts out cleaned up and just transforms into pigpen like the wolfman without any effort whatsoever

You just gave me an idea. We need a tag with Ren saying..."Stimpy, you IDIOT!!" LOL

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Yeah, and that was when the whole first intitial, first syllable thing was getting really, really old, spent, used up, moldy. Now it's beyond done. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I hate it when people call me "Ofar".

SoxFanTillDeath
06-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I hate it when people call me "Ofar".

Lol...I am not typing out Brandon's whole name every time I post about him (which I hope is many, many times over the next 20 years:smile: )...we need to come up with something to call him that won't make our title blue...

For now I'm just saying BM...at least until someone comes up with something better. Has Hawk said anything about it yet?

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 07:56 AM
As for McCarthy's performance, it was great; just what he needed. The Tigers did draw blood against him but he kept a very good hitting lineup in check. He was throwing his change up for strikes which he has not been doing. With another couple of starts under his belt he should be becoming a major league starter. I don't know how many (how few) guys actually are solid major league starters when they are 22 but I think the Sox have the real deal here. Cooper, Pierzinski and Ozzie all seem to be developing him just fine. As to him needing a sinker I'd say no way. He seems to be working in the Maddux mode but with better stuff. If you can throw a fastball, couple of curves and a solid change, all for strikes on any count and even throw in a few sliders, then this kid could win 300 games. I hope the vast majority of those are for the White Sox.

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey Ofar, I hope you're right.

Kyostukete Bradnon!

DaleJRFan
06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
He was throwing a good 2seemer lastnight, which helped him a lot. His changeup was sick. After the 3rd inning, he had the hitters very mixed up and was making them look lost up there... I really hope he walks away from this outing having learned something. If he throws like this consistently, KW won't need to make a move for another starter.

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Arigatone Ovee!!

Iguana775
06-30-2005, 10:25 AM
***** at West changing soxfanreggie's title. :D:

DaleJRFan
06-30-2005, 10:27 AM
***** at West changing soxfanreggie's title. :D:

muhahahahaha... WSI admins rule with an iron fist!

Isn't McCarthy's WSI screen name "BMac123" or something like that??? Maybe FarWest can change it to please "WSI Lamer"... :D:

Sxy Mofo
06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Isn't "lamer" more tired than "first letter of first name, first three letters of last name"?

It is in my book, anyway.

DaleJRFan
06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Isn't "lamer" more tired than "first letter of first name, first three letters of last name"?

Tell that to FarWest.... :cool:

Sxy Mofo
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Tell that to FarWest.... :cool:

I'm sure he'll come across it. I didn't put it up on the board invisibly.

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM

I don't know, SMof.

infohawk
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM

It may not be this year or next, but soon enough he will have a prominent place in the rotation, as I see it. As it is, he's a hell of a lot better than any 5th starter we pushed out there last year (which isn't saying much, admittedly).

So far he has had two quality starts. IIRC, he did pitch at least six innings against the Cubs. The key for him is the ability to get three of his pitches over the plate.

doublem23
06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
:rolling:

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv WSI.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Farwest,

I think we owe each other an apology. I'll start...I'm sorry if I overreacted, you can see why I'm on edge sometimes. I do understand now that it's a joke. No hard feelings I hope.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Farwest,

I think we owe each other an apology. I'll start...I'm sorry if I overreacted, you can see why I'm on edge sometimes. I do understand now that it's a joke. No hard feelings I hope.I wasn't going to leave your name that way. It was just a joke. No harm, no foul. :cool:

CYGarland20
06-30-2005, 01:37 PM

It may not be this year or next, but soon enough he will have a prominent place in the rotation, as I see it. As it is, he's a hell of a lot better than any 5th starter we pushed out there last year (which isn't saying much, admittedly). In order for McCarthy to be a successful starter in the Big's, then he needs to throw his changeup more consistently for strikes to the lefties, and/or work on a cutter. His curve is good enough to get the righties out, but a good 2 seamer wouldn't hurt either. Right now he is basically a 2 1/2 pitch pitcher, and since he doesn't possess a mid 90's fastball, then he needs at least 3 pitches he can rely on to get him through the lineup 2 or 3 times, unless of course, his control is impeccable. :cool:

Hangar18
06-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I think people say it just cause it's easier to type "BMAC" than "Brandon McCarthy" every time the guy is mentioned. How 'bout "McC"? :D:

YES I agree. I call Palehosegeorge PHG for this same reason .......:cool:

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie
Farwest,

I think we owe each other an apology. I'll start...I'm sorry if I overreacted, you can see why I'm on edge sometimes. I do understand now that it's a joke. No hard feelings I hope.
West: I wasn't going to leave your name that way. It was just a joke. No harm, no foul

What is this board coming to?

In the end civility rules

Sxy Mofo
06-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know, SMof.

I'd go with S-M-F. You know, say the letters. It's cooler that way.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM

It is in my book, anyway.You forgot to read the appendix of the book. That was part of the joke. :D:

Sxy Mofo
06-30-2005, 04:55 PM
You forgot to read the appendix of the book. That was part of the joke. :D:

Will do, FW-Chi.

Signed, SMF.

ondafarm
06-30-2005, 05:26 PM
I'd go with S-M-F. You know, say the letters. It's cooler that way.

I kinda like SMof, as in 'Does a SMof turn blue when you hold it under water?"