PDA

View Full Version : What former Sox player should have his number retired next?

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I think that Wilbur Wood should be the next former Sock to have his Number retired. #28.

bridgeportcopper
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Jermaine better pick a new number - because hopefully Robin's next!

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Jermaine better pick a new number - because hopefully Robin's next!either wood or Robin. Obviously Frank will get his number retired once he retires. Actually since Jermaine was wearing the number before it would be retired he can still wear it. Once he leaves that number would never be worn again.

Daver
06-29-2005, 08:55 PM
You want to retire the number of a player that has no chance at the HOF?

Robin was a nice guy, and a solid ballplayer, but give me a break.

SOXintheBURGH
06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
My peronal favorite Media Troll Skip Clueless likes to say:

:clueless

"It's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good."

NSSoxFan
06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
I think that Wilbur Wood should be the next former Sock to have his Number retired. #28.

Sock?

lol

Brian26
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
I can't think of anyone else who should have their number retired until Frank retires. The closest would be Robin, but I don't think he quite makes it.

SoxFan76
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Sock?

lol

When you average 19 posts a day, you're bound to make a mistake. :rolleyes:

Parrothead
06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Joe Borchard but with him in it. :cool:

Dub25
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
What about Jaime Navarro?

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 10:55 PM
how bout Jose Paniagua?

Stroker Ace
06-29-2005, 11:14 PM
How bout Billy Koch?

doublem23
06-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Rich McKinney
06-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Rich McKinney!

mike squires
06-29-2005, 11:19 PM
What if Ozzie hangs around as a manager for several years and has some success? Would you think he would be deserving?

gobears1987
06-29-2005, 11:21 PM
23 ought to be retired across the whole city.

Tragg
06-29-2005, 11:49 PM

What a workhorse Wilbur was. I don't know if his number should be retired, but he was a great Sox.

Hitmen77
06-29-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't think the Sox need to retire any more numbers until Frank is gone and they retire #35. They have enough retired numbers already.

However.....since #42 is already retired league-wide in honor of Jackie Robinson, the Sox could "retire" the same number in honor of Al Lopez.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-29-2005, 11:59 PM
:hurt
*cough* 35 *cough*

I don't think there is a former player that deserves to have his number retired. Just because Robin was a great guy & fan favorite, doesn't mean he is worthy of the HOF-caliber players that adorn that fence currently.

However, they better start figuring out how to wedge Frank's panel in the left-center fence the day he retires.

MUsoxfan
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't think the Sox need to retire any more numbers until Frank is gone and they retire #35. They have enough retired numbers already.

Seriously. We don't want to be the Yankees or the Celtics that leave only a limited amount of numbers for current athletes. It should truly mean a player was a great representative to the Southside for many many years.

BigEdWalsh
06-30-2005, 12:01 AM
What if Ozzie hangs around as a manager for several years and has some success? Would you think he would be deserving?

I think possibly yes. Or how about an Ozzie statue?
Otherwise, only Frank after he retires.

batmanZoSo
06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Rich McKinney. Anybody remember that guy?

The Dude
06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Jermaine better pick a new number - because hopefully Robin's next!

No chance.

Unregistered
06-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Rich McKinney. Anybody remember that guy?Yeah, he was mentioned in the Hermanson thread - that's twice in one night for a guy that was a total unknown!

tebman
06-30-2005, 12:24 AM
88 -- in honor of Nancy!

http://www.ballparktour.com/faust.jpg

samram
06-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, he was mentioned in the Hermanson thread - that's twice in one night for a guy that was a total unknown!

:hawk
"Unregistered, lemme tell you something about Rich McKinney. Uh, yeah, ol' Rich, he was.... I got nothing. Stop laughing, Feisty, 'fore I whip your ass.'

BigEdWalsh
06-30-2005, 12:29 AM

Yeah, and I actually saw him homer during a rainy September doubleheader in front me and about 499 other fans.

Medford Bobby
06-30-2005, 12:36 AM
:cool: #35

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2005, 12:38 AM
#8 Hawk "I love Bo Jackson!"

johnnyg83
06-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Not to jag, but I think the Sox have too many numbers retired -- Billy Pierce, Harold Baines, Melido Perez, Don Wakamatsu and Junior Bell were all great players --- but retired numbers? Shouldn't you be in the hall or have gotten a ring or hit one of the magic numbers for your squad to qualify.

56 and 35 are next ...

chitownhawkfan
06-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Dick Allen?

skobabe8
06-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Not to jag, but I think the Sox have too many numbers retired -- Billy Pierce, Harold Baines, Melido Perez, Don Wakamatsu and Junior Bell were all great players --- but retired numbers? Shouldn't you be in the hall or have gotten a ring or hit one of the magic numbers for your squad to qualify.

56 and 35 are next ...

LOL..say what?

jake27
06-30-2005, 01:48 AM
robin was good, but not retired # good. the big hurt for sure, dick allen mabye (never saw him play, but his stats seem good enough), or mabye im off with this one.

johnnyg83
06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
LOL..say what?

Sorry not for your squad to qualify .. but your number ... like 3,000 hits -- 300 wins, 268 HPBs, etc.

I just threw in Wakamatsu and Melido to throw off the people who were gonna **** on me for dissing Pierce and Baines. And I meant Junior Moore -- not Junior (Kevin) Bell.

Foulke You
06-30-2005, 03:13 AM

56 and 35 are next ...
All of the players on that outfield wall are worthy of having their number retired by the Sox. I'm not seeing your logic that they have too many player numbers retired. That would seem to indicate that you believe some on the outfield wall are unworthy of being up there. Appling, Fisk, Fox, Pierce, Minoso, Luis Aparacio, and Baines are all White Sox legends and deserve to be up there in my opinion. Which one do you think the Sox retired erroneously?

On the other hand, some people brought up Robin Ventura who was a fine ballplayer but I would definitely NOT retire his number. I think that is going a bit overboard. Frank Thomas's 35 should definitely be retired whenever Frank hangs up the spikes but I don't see any others on the horizon. Perhaps Buehrle, if he sticks around with us another 5 years or so.

Optipessimism
06-30-2005, 03:28 AM

56 and 35 are next ...

I think it's more about giving recognition to a player who played very well over many years within the organization than anything else. Getting into the Hall surely has to be a greater accomplishment, but who's to say that a player has to be considered one of the best ever to have his career remembered by an organization? Harold is a perfect example of a guy who will be, or already has been, completely forgotten by the rest of baseball. Does this mean we can not honor his legacy on the South Side? I for one am glad his number is retired here. He was a solid player for many years and did nothing but help give the organization a better name.

TheOldRoman
06-30-2005, 04:23 AM
As someone posted earlier, I completely support #42 being re-retired for Al Lopez. Although it would be pretty meaningless (seeing as it is already retired), it would be a nice gesture for one of the greatest managers of all time. He is one of only a handful of managers in the HOF. Also, there are a couple other teams who have numbers retired for multiple players.

As for retiring other numbers, I dont think we should put another one on the wall until Frank retires. We don't want to become a joke like the Yankees. They retired frickin' Don Mattingly's number. He was a good player, but he was no hall of famer, and he doesn't deserve his number retired. Maybe if he played on the Royals or Mariners, but not on a team that actually has a history like the Yankees. Oh well, they will regret it when players are wearing numbers in the 80s and 90s.

maff
06-30-2005, 04:40 AM
How about Ol' Ed? The guy only won 41 games in a season, might I add he also pitched over 400 innings that very same season. If I recall correctly he also won two championships with the Sox (1906 and 1917), is in the Hall Of Fame, and was involved with the organization even after he retired serving as a pitching coach for a while and for a short time, manager. This guy was one of the greatest dead ball pitchers of the era, the time when the White Sox had most of their success, but because it was so long ago that casual fans don't know anything about him. I say if any player's number should be retired before Frank's, it should be Ed Walsh.

TheOldRoman
06-30-2005, 04:54 AM
How about Ol' Ed? The guy only won 41 games in a season, might I add he also pitched over 400 innings that very same season. If I recall correctly he also won two championships with the Sox (1906 and 1917), is in the Hall Of Fame, and was involved with the organization even after he retired serving as a pitching coach for a while and for a short time, manager. This guy was one of the greatest dead ball pitchers of the era, the time when the White Sox had most of their success, but because it was so long ago that casual fans don't know anything about him. I say if any player's number should be retired before Frank's, it should be Ed Walsh.
They didn't wear numbers back in Ed's day.

maff
06-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Then build him a staute or something, I mean if you really think about the stats and the contributions Ed gave to the White Sox he should be remembered somhow, it'd be a travesty to have his legacy lost in time, although I bet very few people have even heard of him, it's even more of a reason something should be done.

TheOldRoman
06-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Then build him a staute or something, I mean if you really think about the stats and the contributions Ed gave to the White Sox he should be remembered somhow, it'd be a travesty to have his legacy lost in time, although I bet very few people have even heard of him, it's even more of a reason something should be done.
I agree 100%

BigEdWalsh
06-30-2005, 06:24 AM
I agree 100%
I agree 200%.

chisoxfan23
06-30-2005, 06:33 AM
They had better retire Robin's number.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-30-2005, 08:18 AM

If we get to the promised land this year, Ozzie, Raines, Cora, & Walker should have their numbers retired. No kidding on my part.

Uncle_Patrick
06-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Frank Thomas is the only one it will happen to in the near future. Robin Ventura and Wilbur Wood were great, but its not gonna happen for them.

DaleJRFan
06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
in a few years....

Wsoxmike59
07-03-2005, 09:41 AM

I remember Rich McKinney, who was a pretty good prospect when the Sox brought him up in 1970. McKinney was so highly thought of, that he temporarily pushed Bill Melton off of 3B and into the OF for a short time in '70.

I mostly remember Rich McKinney for two things while with the White Sox. His single up the middle to win the thrilling 1971 Home Opener before a HUGE crowd vs the defending Division Champion MN Twins, and his subsequent trade in the offseason with the Sox landing the solid SP Stan Bahnsen from the NY Yankees.

Bahnsen won 21 games for the '72 Sox and teamed with Wilbur Wood for one of the league's best 1-2 starting duos.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/60/62/2b_1.JPG

samram
07-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I remember Rich McKinney, who was a pretty good prospect when the Sox brought him up in 1970. McKinney was so highly thought of, that he temporarily pushed Bill Melton off of 3B and into the OF for a short time in '70.

I mostly remember Rich McKinney for two things while with the White Sox. His single up the middle to win the thrilling 1971 Home Opener before a HUGE crowd vs the defending Division Champion MN Twins, and his subsequent trade in the offseason with the Sox landing the solid SP Stan Bahnsen from the NY Yankees.

Bahnsen won 21 games for the '72 Sox and teamed with Wilbur Wood for one of the league's best 1-2 starting duos.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/60/62/2b_1.JPG

I've heard that McKinney was one of the great clutch hitters in the history of baseball.

SouthSideHitman
07-03-2005, 01:44 PM
He's obviously no Hall-of-Famer, but he was such a huge fan favorite and did so much more for the Sox than his numbers might show at first (the slams, the fielding, the clutch hits, the noogieing...wait) that #23 Robin Ventura should be the next Sox on the wall, now that he's retired. I mean, Harold and Ted Lyons aren't in the Hall but they're on the wall, this is our wall, right?

*Note this post may be biased, as I was a HUGE Robin fan and have every single card of him as a Sox.

TommyJohn
07-03-2005, 01:46 PM
He's obviously no Hall-of-Famer, but he was such a huge fan favorite and did so much more for the Sox than his numbers might show at first (the slams, the fielding, the clutch hits, the noogieing...wait) that #23 Robin Ventura should be the next Sox on the wall, now that he's retired. I mean, Harold and Ted Lyons aren't in the Hall but they're on the wall, this is our wall, right?

*Note this post may be biased, as I was a HUGE Robin fan and have every single card of him as a Sox.

Ted Lyons is in the Hall. I think you might mean Billy Pierce.

Jurr
07-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I think Garland's going to have to change his number, 'cuz the next retired number is 20.

http://www.stu-man.com/90ud/069karkovice.jpg:tongue: No. I doubt it.

havelj
07-03-2005, 02:25 PM
23 ought to be retired across the whole city.

True - who can forget the great Shaun Gayle?

downstairs
07-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Robin Ventura?!?

Are you talking about the same Robin "my favorite team that I played on was the Yankees" Ventura?

chisoxfan64
07-03-2005, 02:41 PM
True - who can forget the great Shaun Gayle?

And of course Lamar Johnson.:D:

White Sox Josh
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM

*Note this post may be biased, as I was a HUGE Robin fan and have every single card of him as a Sox.Harold isn't eligible yet. Look at his stats because if I were a voter I would vote for him. He almost got 3,000 hits. He would've had he not played in 2 strike years.

GregoryEtc
07-04-2005, 12:44 AM
in a few years....

Maybe they'll retire "35" after we trade Frank to Texas for a lousy second baseman. Then when Frank comes back to Chicago to finish out his career a couple year later, it will be really awkward to have to remove his number from the list so he can wear it again. No wait. That would be idiotic.