PDA

View Full Version : NW Indiana Sox Fans...where are ya?

Pages : [1] 2

brucefan34
06-29-2005, 02:19 PM
So I am sick of driving around and seeing people with Cubs flags hanging off their houses and cars. Where are all the Sox fans located and who are ya? I'll start...

Tony Sharpe
Downtown Valparaiso, IN

Rocky Soprano
06-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Dyer, IN here

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 02:36 PM
City of Hammond

Woodmar area

Dan H
06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
So I am sick of driving around and seeing people with Cubs flags hanging off their houses and cars. Where are all the Sox fans located and who are ya? I'll start...

Tony Sharpe
Downtown Valparaiso, IN

I see some Sox flags in my parts and am greeted many times when I have a Sox shirt on. Highland.

Fungo
06-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Dyer here also.

Rocky Soprano
06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Dyer here also.

Where in Dyer?

I'm right off Calumet and Main St.

Fungo
06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Where in Dyer?

I'm right off Calumet and Main St.

The Meadows sub-division, just south of the tracks on Sheffield. You're near BP.

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2005, 03:05 PM
In denver now, but this past weekend I was in crown point/merriville/sheriville... does that count?

Rocky Soprano
06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
The Meadows sub-division, just south of the tracks on Sheffield. You're near BP.

Right, Im really close to the BP. I'm in the Windsor Ln. Townhomes.

The Meadows sub-division is over by the Walt's right?
If so, I actually looked at a townhouse there but didnt make an offer because we have a dog and that area is not fenced in at all.

Nice to know I have a fellow WSI'er near by.

We should barbecue sometime.

HoosierHerb
06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Used to be Schererville, now in Indy, but coming up this weekend. Many relatives are sox fans in S'ville, Dyer, and Valpo

tebman
06-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm from Hammond, but I don't live there now -- does that count? :duck:

You can take the boy out of Da Region, but you can't take Da Region out of the boy.

PatK
06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Highland- although I still own my place in Wrigleyville (which I should just sell).

sthbndsox
06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm from South Bend, and I have the exact same problem.

TimoandAaron
06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Highland- although I still own my place in Wrigleyville (which I should just sell).Dont sell it, but put a huge sox flag or something on the place.

Fungo
06-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Right, Im really close to the BP. I'm in the Windsor Ln. Townhomes.

The Meadows sub-division is over by the Walt's right?
If so, I actually looked at a townhouse there but didnt make an offer because we have a dog and that area is not fenced in at all.

Nice to know I have a fellow WSI'er near by.

We should barbecue sometime.
I'm North of Walt's, I think that one is called Sheffield Estates. I'm basically accross Sheffield from the Amtrak stop, the sub-division with the condos in front.
We should get together sometime. There are some big Sox fans in my area.

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm North of Walt's, I think that one is called Sheffield Estates. I'm basically accross Sheffield from the Amtrak stop, the sub-division with the condos in front.
We should get together sometime. There are some big Sox fans in my area.

Munster here.

Does that AmTrak go anywhere near the Cell? I've always wondered that. I guess I could look it up on the net, but that would take too much effort.

Iron Dragon
06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I lived in Dyer until I was 8, then moved to NE Indiana where I live now. Whoever said you can take the boy out of da Region but not da Region out of the boy is absolutely right. I think about 90% of the morons here are Flub fans, or at least align themselves with them (fair-weather fools), so I fight a never-ending battle to educate them.

BTW, we used to live in a sub-division off Hart St, south of Main, on Sycamore Dr.

Rocky Soprano
06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
We have enough NW/NE Indiana folks here to organize some kind of Sox Fans party. :D:

gobears1987
06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm in Valpo, going to Purdue in West Laf in August though.

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
We have enough NW/NE Indiana folks here to organize some kind of Sox Fans party. :D:

I'm all for it!!:gulp:

Jurr
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
City of Hammond

Woodmar area
That's cool. I grew up on Linbergh, off of 169th.
A week ago, I was in town. I stayed on Waveland Ave., right down the street from Woodmar. Who knew?????

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
A week ago, I was in town. I stayed on Waveland Ave., right down the street from Woodmar. Who knew?????

That's cool!! I live right off 169th and Baring Ave. You could of stopped in for a beer!

It is a split between Sox and Flub fans around, I have seen many more Sox hats around Hammond this year.

zach074
06-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Dyer :bandance: .

oeo
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Good 'ole Lowell, IN

SoxFanSince67
06-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Once was in Mishawaka and then Purdue, but now out of state!

Buehrle > Wood
06-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Highland

Jurr
06-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Highland
Ohhhh Highland. I'm a big fan. When I stayed with my uncle in Hammond during the summer of '98 (at the ripe age of 19), I'd go to Highland and hang out with some of the local Highland girls. There definitely is a bumper crop of good looking ladies in that cozy little section of Northwest Indiana. What a place!

flo-B-flo
06-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Grew up in Gary. Lived in Hammond for a few years. Now live in Elkhart.

IronFisk
06-29-2005, 10:44 PM

BRING IT ON!

Crown Point in the room!

:supernana:

brain_hurtz
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Grew up in Hammond now in Valpo

sthbndsox
06-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Once was in Mishawaka and then Purdue, but now out of state!

Where did you live in Mishawaka? I live down the street from the MHS.

Thunderstruck30
06-29-2005, 11:08 PM

Holy crap, I live on Waveland!!! Who did you stay with?

nedlug
06-29-2005, 11:08 PM
St. John, in the subdivision behind the K-Mart on 41. In school in now (in Terre Haute), and in Minneapolis, MN for the summer.

Thunderstruck30
06-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Did anybody go to Our Lady of Grace in Highland or Bishop Noll in Hammond? Thats where I went to school.

SomebodyToldMe
06-29-2005, 11:14 PM
East Chicago here!

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I moved to Hammond about 3 years ago, I'm from Central Illinois originally. I must say there truely isn't anything like "The Region"

flo-B-flo
06-29-2005, 11:20 PM
A week ago, I was in town. I stayed on Waveland Ave., right down the street from Woodmar. Who knew????? Used to live on Kent Ave, side street along Columbia Park.

cubhater77
06-29-2005, 11:23 PM
griffith here.

Iron Dragon
06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Did anybody go to Our Lady of Grace in Highland or Bishop Noll in Hammond? Thats where I went to school.

My parents both went to Bishop Noll, and I know where it is. Does that count?

And if somebody wants to organize a NW/NE Indiana Sox fan party, that would be sweet.

davenicholson
06-29-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm from Hammond, but I don't live there now -- does that count? :duck:

You can take the boy out of Da Region, but you can't take Da Region out of the boy.
Ditto on all, tebman! :redneck

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
That's cool!! I live right off 169th and Baring Ave. You could of stopped in for a beer!

It is a split between Sox and Flub fans around, I have seen many more Sox hats around Hammond this year.

MrRoboto-- Liz and I are always lookin to party! :D:

:threadrules:

TDog
06-29-2005, 11:36 PM
When I was a kid in Northwest Indiana, it was definitely Cubs country. Thousands of miles away, I go to work, and I'm still surrounded by Cubs fans.

I went to Munster High. But that was a long time ago. Now instead of living in Northwest Indiana, I like in Southeast Alaska.

flo-B-flo
06-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Did anybody go to Our Lady of Grace in Highland or Bishop Noll in Hammond? Thats where I went to school. I went to Holy Angels in Gary. I remember some epic battles with Our Lady of Grace in the late 60's. Basketball, baseball, football it didn't matter. It was great. I graduated from Noll in '74.

Thunderstruck30
06-29-2005, 11:49 PM
I went to Holy Angels in Gary. I remember some epic battles with Our Lady of Grace in the late 60's. Basketball, baseball, football it didn't matter. It was great. I graduated from Noll in '74.

Holy Angels and OLG had a baseball and football team?

gosox83
06-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Went to Lake Central High School in St. John, and now I live in Portage, just a little NW of Valpo.

I teach in Chesterton trying to stomp out the ignorance of many cub fan students.:D:

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 11:50 PM

Anytime man, when the Sox win there is always a party going on around here.:gulp:

Banix12
06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Another fan from Munster here

eastchicagosoxfan
06-30-2005, 03:56 AM
I live in E.C. I live a few blocks from Bishop Noll. I walked there when I went to school, class of 1986.

brucefan34
06-30-2005, 07:40 AM

I went to Noll...class of '90.

greasywheels121
06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm from Fort Wayne, and I'm in Bloomington for the school months.

pythons007
06-30-2005, 10:11 AM

:threadrules:
Schererville now...used to live in Munster! Hey dude, don't forget me man. I'm always looking for a good time with some Sox fans!!

tebman
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Schererville now...used to live in Munster! Hey dude, don't forget me man. I'm always looking for a good time with some Sox fans!!
It's a real shame that Sauzer's Kiddieland doesn't exist anymore in Schererville. That was a great place to have a party/picnic/gathering. Great train too that ran all through the grounds that was a great ride after having a couple of beers.
:gulp:

LuvSox
06-30-2005, 10:58 AM
It's a real shame that Sauzer's Kiddieland doesn't exist anymore in Schererville. That was a great place to have a party/picnic/gathering. Great train too that ran all through the grounds that was a great ride after having a couple of beers.
:gulp:

Have you been by there lately? It's all being developed. I used to love the train that ran around the place when I was a kid.

LuvSox
06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah, I'm in Schererville.

Shift
06-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Schererville and flying my Sox flag as often as possible. My neighbor made a remark that she was glad that I was taking it down one night. I've had it up every day since.

tebman
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Have you been by there lately? It's all being developed. I used to love the train that ran around the place when I was a kid.

Man, what a great train that was. Whether as a kid or when I was an adult, I [hawk voice] luuvved [/hawk voice] that train. I especially liked the scale-sized crossing signals on the sidewalks, too.

The park was all-around good beyond the train too. Good for group picnics, kiddie rides, adult rides, reasonable cost -- just a great all-around package. The family got tired and the real-estate economics got too tough, so the park reached the end of its run about ten years ago. But any of us who had been there would remember it fondly.

http://www.trainweb.org/parktrains/gallery/klG14.jpg

tschneid83
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
St. John here.... but at purdue for the summer

Kiddie land is now townhomes and a culvers.....

HoosierHerb
06-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Don't forget the decrepit Roller-coaster that sat right on the edge of the property, What was the name of that The Wizzer? maybe

tschneid83
06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Don't forget the decrepit Roller-coaster that sat right on the edge of the property, What was the name of that The Wizzer? maybe

I never would go on that thing although i dont think anyone ever died on it. I am sure it was good back in the day but I only saw it on the tail end of kiddie land.

tebman
06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
The Wild Mouse -- Yowza, decrepit is right, though it was a fun ride.

tebman
06-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Ditto on all, tebman! :redneck
Ahoy, dn! I wonder how many Region refugees there are on this board?

haganaga
06-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I grew up in Schererville (Lake Central class of 93) but now living in Lakeview. Heading back home tomorrow actually for a bit.

He gone
06-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Grew up in Lake Station, now live in Wheatfield. Does Jasper County still count as NW indiana?????

SoupAppling
06-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Grew up in Hobart. Now in Schererville.

Jeff Carroll
06-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I sure hope that you guys are all getting your White Sox news from The Times.

ja1022
06-30-2005, 07:46 PM

Hey Jeff, better Railcats coverage please. Oh, and Dyer.

Jeff Carroll
06-30-2005, 07:49 PM
The RailCats aren't my beat anymore in the summer, just the White Sox (with a sprinkling of golf and Cubs) -- hopefully we'll settle on a permanent RailCats guy once the new sports editor gets settled in.

ja1022
06-30-2005, 08:00 PM
The RailCats aren't my beat anymore in the summer, just the White Sox (with a sprinkling of golf and Cubs) -- hopefully we'll settle on a permanent RailCats guy once the new sports editor gets settled in.

That's good news. The RailCats are a nice story so far this year. And for what it's worth, my post was about the paper in general, and not you in particular. I've read your column and enjoyed it.

tebman
06-30-2005, 08:49 PM
That's the Hammond Times for real Region folks. :tongue:

Kind of like "Sears-Roebuck," even though Roebuck's been gone for nearly a hundred years.

itsjustinf
06-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Wow, there's a whole lot more NW Indiana people on here than I ever thought. I grew up in Portage. I'm at Purdue now, and my folks moved to Valpo.

chisox56
06-30-2005, 10:09 PM
portage in the summer and west lafayette the rest of the year

flo-B-flo
06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Holy Angels and OLG had a baseball and football team? Yes, late 60's early 70's. Most CYO games football games were played at Gilroy Stadium in Gary.

flo-B-flo
06-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Man, what a great train that was. Whether as a kid or when I was an adult, I [hawk voice] luuvved [/hawk voice] that train. I especially liked the scale-sized crossing signals on the sidewalks, too.

The park was all-around good beyond the train too. Good for group picnics, kiddie rides, adult rides, reasonable cost -- just a great all-around package. The family got tired and the real-estate economics got too tough, so the park reached the end of its run about ten years ago. But any of us who had been there would remember it fondly.

http://www.trainweb.org/parktrains/gallery/klG14.jpg My heart almost burst from my chest when I saw that picture. Memories came cascading out. Thanks a lot:smile:

TDog
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM

My mother, in Munster, still calls it the Hammond Times.

The new Times office in Munster (as opposed to New Times offices in cities like Phoenix and Denver) is about a half-hour from the Cell. Once you get off the Borman, even the traffic into night games is minimal, with everyone pouring out of the city. I've never understood why the distant Cubs were treated as the area's team, the poetry of George Castle not withstanding.

By the way, I'm impressed with the courage you show by using your name. Not that most of us are cowards. People who know me can easily figure out who I am, but few people care.

MrRoboto83
06-30-2005, 10:55 PM

We have had a lot of article links from the times here on WSI boards

gregoriop
06-30-2005, 11:16 PM
wheatfield, in

even other NWI people don't know where that is.

Chisox23fan
07-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I am also sick of all those whiny cub fans in this area.

Sox fan my entire life. 23 years old from Portage, IN

Go SOX

irish rover
07-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I grew up in Munster, though lived my first 6 years in Hessville by Dowling park, went to St. Thomas More, MHS then went to a real university, IU.(unlike some of my fellow sox bretheren :))

my uncle used to drive the train at kiddieland. There still is a kiddieland in Melrose Park

www.kiddieland.com (http://www.kiddieland.com)

irish rover
07-01-2005, 07:06 AM
wheatfield, in

I do, I used to drive a beer truck for calumet breweries in the summer while going to college

cubhater77
07-01-2005, 07:16 AM
homeboy jeff carrol in the house!

davenicholson
07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Sure, I read on-line version of The Hammond Times (it will always be thus to me!) several times a week!

tschneid83
07-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I grew up in Munster, though lived my first 6 years in Hessville by Dowling park, went to St. Thomas More, MHS then went to a real

Glad to see a fellow hessville person.... nothing like going sledding on the side of the clover leaf (expressway).....

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2005, 07:57 AM
My heart almost burst from my chest when I saw that picture. Memories came cascading out. Thanks a lot

Well if you're really all nostalgic for that train, they have an identical one still running at KiddieLand in Melrose Park. You can cross the street and place bets on the ponies at Maywood Park, too.

:tongue:

http://www.kiddieland.com/ContentImages/train.jpg

irish rover
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Glad to see a fellow hessville person.... nothing like going sledding on the side of the clover leaf (expressway).....

good times, good times

tebman
07-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I used to sled on the Calumet Avenue overpass over forty...ahem...when I was a kid. :wink:

tebman
07-01-2005, 09:13 AM
my uncle used to drive the train at kiddieland. There still is a kiddieland in Melrose Park

www.kiddieland.com (http://www.kiddieland.com)
You had an uncle who drove that train? That is extremely cool! When I was a kid there were two jobs I wanted: being the engineer on the Kiddieland train and being the crossing-gate operator in those little elevated shacks in downtown Hammond.

But I squandered my life on a professional career instead. :tongue:

davenicholson
07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
I used to sled on the Calumet Avenue overpass over forty...ahem...when I was a kid. :wink:
tebman,
We're nearly neighbors now and must have been close back then, too! I also used to sled the Calumet Avenue cloverleaf as a kid; the northeast "leaf" to be exact. I think we may have discussed this in a past ketchup/hot dog thread, but where did you grow up? I was on 169th Place (same street as Madvek's :cool:), but just west of Columbia Avenue.

tschneid83
07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I moved when I was young but...... we lived just north of the expressway behind the McDonalds on kennedy ave.

tebman
07-01-2005, 09:58 AM
tebman,
We're nearly neighbors now and must have been close back then, too! I also used to sled the Calumet Avenue cloverleaf as a kid; the northeast "leaf" to be exact. I think we may have discussed this in a past ketchup/hot dog thread, but where did you grow up? I was on 169th Place (same street as Madvek's :cool:), but just west of Columbia Avenue.
Mostly the NE leaf for me and my buds then too. I grew up at 175th just east of Tapper -- easy walking (or trudging) distance to the overpass draggin my sled.

That cloverleaf, along with the ones on Indianapolis Boulevard and Kennedy Avenue, has been rebuilt into a freakish mass of ramps with enormous trestles. I suppose kids can still sled there, but it must feel kind of like Luke Skywalker underneath the Imperial Walkers.

TDog
07-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I moved when I was young but...... we lived just north of the expressway behind the McDonalds on kennedy ave.

Wasn't the McDonald's at Indianapolis Boulevard at the expressway? I don't know if it's still there, but I seem to remember it there going back to the early '60s.

tschneid83
07-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Wasn't the McDonald's at Indianapolis Boulevard at the expressway? I don't know if it's still there, but I seem to remember it there going back to the early '60s.

uhhhh ..... maybe ...... I am not sure I thought it was off kennedy .... I have not been up that way in a long time .... I am sure there is one on the blvd. to though maybe

tebman
07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
uhhhh ..... maybe ...... I am not sure I thought it was off kennedy .... I have not been up that way in a long time .... I am sure there is one on the blvd. to though maybe
Don't know about Kennedy, but the one on the Boulevard is past tense. It was at 175th and Indianapolis Boulevard, and IIRC it was one of the first 5 McDonald's when it opened back in the 50s. McDonald's closed it over 15 years ago because they wanted to expand it with a drive-up window and more seating, but were landlocked at that site. There's another restaurant there built on the skeleton of the old McD's. Don't know if it's still open, but it's called McTavern's. Don't know how they got away with that since I know the McD company jealously guards its name.

Streets
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Munster here, and I call it "the Times" but that's just me. Unfortunately I'm in Evansville for the next 8 months or so. Then I'll be able to move back to the Region.

D. TODD
07-01-2005, 12:38 PM
East Chicago, here.

my5thbench
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm in Sott Skiles' hometown Plymouth....we used to have a liquor

store here so the whole town knows about my Sox allegiance

irish rover
07-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm in Sott Skiles' hometown Plymouth....we used to have a liquor

store here so the whole town knows about my Sox allegiance

parents have a place on Lake of the Woods

soxdave
07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Grew up in Highland, live on Northwest Side, interesting thread

SOXDAVE

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I live in Lansing IL (dangerously close) but I have NWI roots. I went to school (4th-High) when I lived in Lake Village; I was the water slide boy at Jelly Stone Park Roselawn in '88; I lived in Lowell before I went into the Army, and I buy gas in Indiana now. :bandance:

PAPChiSox729
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm from Porter (next to Chesterton) myself.

irish rover
07-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I live in Lansing IL (dangerously close) but I have NWI roots. I went to school (4th-High) when I lived in Lake Village; I was the water slide boy at Jelly Stone Park Roselawn in '88; I lived in Lowell before I went into the Army, and I buy gas in Indiana now. :bandance:

Roselawn, isn't that where the nudi camp is?

skobabe8
07-01-2005, 05:08 PM

Powerball tickets too? :bandance:

I used to go to Lansing CC all the time.

Good to see some Munster Mustangs on the board! :D:

eastchicagosoxfan
07-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I do, I used to drive a beer truck for calumet breweries in the summer while going to college
I've worked for Cal Brew for the past 15 years. Start the route in Rennselear, or Hebron, come back to DeMotte ( The Hornet's Nest ) , go over to Wheatfield ( Luke's One Stop ) , and finish in Kouts. Every once in awhile, there'd be a run into Remmington, to The Package Store. We sold lots of Hamms, Old Milwaukee, and Pabst.

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
:tomatoawardwho would have thunk this thread would garner such an award?

tebman
07-01-2005, 07:37 PM
:tomatoawardwho would have thunk this thread would garner such an award?

Y'know, you used to be able to get real good tomatoes at Janssen's Fruit Stand on Ridge Road in Highland, right across from Wicker Park.

(there had to be a Region connection, right? :D: )

tick53
07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I live in Plymouth. I think there's a total of about eight Sox fans here.
All the local shops that sell sports gear, it's all Cubs Cubs Cubs.
I wanna move back to city to be amongst some of my own..:angry:

tick53
07-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Bench,

Plymouth here too. At least the guy who runs the Applebee is a Sox fan.:gulp:

hansgruber
07-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Crown Point here

Nice pic of kiddieland. I looked forward to going there every summer when my mom got tickets from working at St. Margaret's.

GO SOX!

tebman
07-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Crown Point here

Nice pic of kiddieland. I looked forward to going there every summer when my mom got tickets from working at St. Margaret's.

GO SOX!
:welcome: Welcome aboard, hg!

My mom worked at St. Margaret's too -- I was even born there and lived to tell about it! :tongue:

cubhater77
07-02-2005, 12:08 AM
jeff, i figured if ya saw "jeff carrol in the house" you'd know who it was, lol. hint, i gradutated in 96, was a kicker in '95. panther power and sox pride!

gregoriop
07-02-2005, 02:09 AM
; I was the water slide boy at Jelly Stone Park Roselawn in '88;

that was my first job. although i worked in the rec hall and mini golf.

firejauron
07-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I live in Hobart. Let's get together at one of the BW's for a game.

firejauron
07-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Went to Lake Central High School in St. John, and now I live in Portage, just a little NW of Valpo.

I teach in Chesterton trying to stomp out the ignorance of many cub fan students.:D:

Hahaha, I know several people who teach in Cheese. You guys have a fun staff.

my5thbench
07-02-2005, 09:42 AM
thanks tick.........I didn't know about the guy at Applebeys

go go SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

LuvSox
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I live in Hobart. Let's get together at one of the BW's for a game.

The BW on route 30 had a message on their sign during the Sox/flub series that said "Go Cubs." I'd rather not go there.

Unless we're gonna get rowdy :bandance:

LuvSox
07-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't know about Kennedy, but the one on the Boulevard is past tense. It was at 175th and Indianapolis Boulevard, and IIRC it was one of the first 5 McDonald's when it opened back in the 50s. McDonald's closed it over 15 years ago because they wanted to expand it with a drive-up window and more seating, but were landlocked at that site. There's another restaurant there built on the skeleton of the old McD's. Don't know if it's still open, but it's called McTavern's. Don't know how they got away with that since I know the McD company jealously guards its name.

McTaverns (dump) is alive and well. Haven't been in there myself in several years but I understand it's still happening. I believe the McDonald's on Kennedy is gone too.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-02-2005, 01:06 PM
McTaverns (dump) is alive and well. Haven't been in there myself in several years but I understand it's still happening. I believe the McDonald's on Kennedy is gone too.
The McDonald's on Kennedy is still there. It was recently remodeled.

LuvSox
07-02-2005, 05:01 PM
The McDonald's on Kennedy is still there. It was recently remodeled.

Oh, ok. I must've thought it was closed for good.

davenicholson
07-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Y'know, you used to be able to get real good tomatoes at Janssen's Fruit Stand on Ridge Road in Highland, right across from Wicker Park.

(there had to be a Region connection, right? :D: )
Jansenn's--that was the fres produce Mecca for us South (Hammond) Siders! And I think it was $5 for 18 holes at Wicker back in the day, for us lucky North Township residents! BTW, Teb--did you go to Gavit or were you in HHS territory?

tebman
07-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Jansenn's--that was the fres produce Mecca for us South (Hammond) Siders! And I think it was $5 for 18 holes at Wicker back in the day, for us lucky North Township residents! BTW, Teb--did you go to Gavit or were you in HHS territory?
I learned to appreciate fresh vegetables by spending time at Janssen's. I had an uncle from Florida who'd visit occasionally and liked to cook. One of the first things he'd do, after he and my aunt were settled in, is go to Janssen's and buy a mess of squash and green beans and onions and all kinds of stuff. We had great meals when they'd come by our house!

Fruitland was another produce stand at 165th & Calumet, but it was a grungier place and we didn't get as much from there. We frequented the coin-operated ice machine next to Fruitland for 50 lb. blocks of ice. We had an ice-cream freezer and my job was to chip-chip-chip the ice from the block to keep adding to the freezer as it growled away.

I was never a golfer so I didn't take advantage of the $5 greens fees, but in the early '60s Wicker Park had a (very) small amusement park. It had a train too, but nowhere near as cool as Kiddieland's. :cool:

I went to Gavit (jr. and sr. high both). For the last couple years there's been plans in the works to close Gavit and make it a middle school, and build a new Hammond High to combine the areas of both HHS and GHS. That'll make Gavit an enormous middle school -- there's going to be a lot of empty space in there.

And in the spirit of the original point of the thread, the baseball field trips we took were always to Sox games by popular demand, whether for school groups or Boy Scouts or church groups or whatever. At that time anyway, it was definitely Sox country. Since that time there's been a lot of Chicago National League Ball Club infection, though the efforts to quarantine those areas have had limited success. :redneck

And thank you, DN -- my next post makes me a "Personality" on WSI and you've helped put me over the top!

eastchicagosoxfan
07-02-2005, 10:42 PM
I learned to appreciate fresh vegetables by spending time at Janssen's. I had an uncle from Florida who'd visit occasionally and liked to cook. One of the first things he'd do, after he and my aunt were settled in, is go to Janssen's and buy a mess of squash and green beans and onions and all kinds of stuff. We had great meals when they'd come by our house!

Fruitland was another produce stand at 165th & Calumet, but it was a grungier place and we didn't get as much from there. We frequented the coin-operated ice machine next to Fruitland for 50 lb. blocks of ice. We had an ice-cream freezer and my job was to chip-chip-chip the ice from the block to keep adding to the freezer as it growled away.

I was never a golfer so I didn't take advantage of the $5 greens fees, but in the early '60s Wicker Park had a (very) small amusement park. It had a train too, but nowhere near as cool as Kiddieland's. :cool:

I went to Gavit (jr. and sr. high both). For the last couple years there's been plans in the works to close Gavit and make it a middle school, and build a new Hammond High to combine the areas of both HHS and GHS. That'll make Gavit an enormous middle school -- there's going to be a lot of empty space in there.

And in the spirit of the original point of the thread, the baseball field trips we took were always to Sox games by popular demand, whether for school groups or Boy Scouts or church groups or whatever. At that time anyway, it was definitely Sox country. Since that time there's been a lot of Chicago National League Ball Club infection, though the efforts to quarantine those areas have had limited success. :redneck

And thank you, DN -- my next post makes me a "Personality" on WSI and you've helped put me over the top!
The ice house in East Chicago on Exchange is still open. Is it the last of it's kind? Probably not, but where else can you get a twenty-five pound block of ice at 2:00AM?

MrRoboto83
07-03-2005, 12:07 PM
What do you guys think of Cabella's wanting to move in on the Woodmar Country Club?

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/06/26/opinion/times_editorials/c0b35eba9e2715448625702a0081544f.txt

RallyBowl
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
What's up with the new northwoods on IB- Is it scrubs or Sox territory?

skobabe8
07-03-2005, 02:29 PM
What's up with the new northwoods on IB- Is it scrubs or Sox territory?

Its pretty mixed.

RallyBowl
07-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Its pretty mixed.Just as I expected. The original in Crete is the same way. If I remember correctly, the owner is a scrubs fan, though.

SOXfnNlansing
07-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I just was at the park in Munster to watch fireworks and there were alot of Sox hats/shirts. It was pretty cool to see all the fans there.

PeteWard
07-04-2005, 04:11 AM

The Mad Mouse!

RetireWoodys28
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Though I live in Chicago now I grew up in Hammond (Robertsdale really, by Wolf Lake and Clark High), and when I go back there these days I do see a lot of Sox hats. But let's not forget the band-wagon jumping half-hearted Cub fans who switch alliances on a semi-regular basis. There were so many Cubs fans who started crossing over in the early 90s that it doesn't surprise me to see a lot of "converts" out at the Cell this year either. I first started noticing the "new fans" this season at a Rangers game back in May. We were sitting in the Bullpen Bar and 2 guys sitting next to us were talking about the game. One of them looks out at the mound and then asks the other, "So who is this Shingu Too-Tat-Saw guy?"

It's great to see the stadium packed this season, but I still think the greatest banner I ever saw at a Sox game was displayed in left field during the 1990 season:

"Yuppy Scum Go Back To Wrigley."

Or at least learn to blend in by pretending to know something about the game!

Dub25
07-04-2005, 05:00 PM
I was at Highland Fest last night to checkout History's End. I could not believe all the Cub gear I saw. I was sick to my stomach.

TDog
07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I just was at the park in Munster to watch fireworks and there were alot of Sox hats/shirts. It was pretty cool to see all the fans there.

It must be safe to be a Sox fan again. When I was going to school in Munster in the late '60s, you were so far outnumbered by Cubs fans, and, of course, the bullies were Cubs fans, that you kept it to yourself. When the Sox had a strong season, there were bandwagon jumpers, but it was definitely Cubs country.

fquaye149
07-04-2005, 06:14 PM
i live in south bend for now. this is certainly cub country. unabashedly.

does anyone who's from here know of any sox-friendly bars? corby's isn't a bad place to watch the games, if i happen to be there while they're on...but it's certainly not a sox bar.

wilburwood
07-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Valpo/Chesterton area

skobabe8
07-05-2005, 01:05 AM

I told you guys I've been working hard here in Munster! And you thought I was joking! :D:

SOXfnNlansing
07-05-2005, 02:14 AM
I told you guys I've been working hard here in Munster! And you thought I was joking! :D:you're doing the Lord's work skobabe:bandance:

pythons007
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
I told you guys I've been working hard here in Munster! And you thought I was joking! :D:

You and me both brotha! Sox win again with me in attendance and waiting out that stupid rain delay!:gulp: :bandance: :gulp: :bandance: :gulp:

PatK
07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I was at Highland Fest last night to checkout History's End. I could not believe all the Cub gear I saw. I was sick to my stomach.

Highland is starting to get yuppie infested. Surprisingly, the yuppie kids are Flub fans.

Plus, it's a "cool" thing to be a Cubs fan.

I was there Friday Night (unfortunately, the night that the kid was killed on the ride), and it seemed like every obnoxious flexin' frat boy type in the beer garden was a Flubs fan.

IronFisk
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I went to Holy Angels in Gary. I remember some epic battles with Our Lady of Grace in the late 60's. Basketball, baseball, football it didn't matter. It was great. I graduated from Noll in '74.

Nice memory. I grew up in Merrillville, attended Peter & Paul (RIP) and spent many a Saturday at Holy Angels gym roughing up the sad competition. That was the early 80's - I don't even know if they have a CYO league anymore.

brucefan34
07-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow, this thread has taken off!! Great to see.

I was at The Taste on Friday and there was more Sox attire than Flubs!! First time in a long time I had seen that!

Going back to BW's...there is a guy who works at the one in Valpo, I think a bartender, who is a Sox fan. I was there for a party a couple of weeks ago and I think he and I were the only Sox fans in the room! We had a good little talk about the current success of the South Siders!!

SpammySosa
07-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow, this thread has taken off!! Great to see.

I was at The Taste on Friday and there was more Sox attire than Flubs!! First time in a long time I had seen that!

Going back to BW's...there is a guy who works at the one in Valpo, I think a bartender, who is a Sox fan. I was there for a party a couple of weeks ago and I think he and I were the only Sox fans in the room! We had a good little talk about the current success of the South Siders!!

Nice to see a lot of Sox love coming from Valparaiso! Unfortunately a lot of my friends and co-workers are Cubs/Wrigley fans-time to get new friends and a new job perhaps?:wink: Just out of curiosity,brucefan34,what happened from '95-'04(based on your profile)?

irish rover
07-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I've worked for Cal Brew for the past 15 years. Start the route in Rennselear, or Hebron, come back to DeMotte ( The Hornet's Nest ) , go over to Wheatfield ( Luke's One Stop ) , and finish in Kouts. Every once in awhile, there'd be a run into Remmington, to The Package Store. We sold lots of Hamms, Old Milwaukee, and Pabst.

I was there in the mid 80's, did alot of strohs 30 packs back then, I used to go on your route area as helper back in the day, but I was mostly in Hammond/ Gary/ Eesh chicago

crazyozzie02
07-06-2005, 12:22 PM
CHESTERTON INDIANA.....REP-RE-SENT BABY

chisoxfan4life
07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Nice to see a lot of Sox love coming from Valparaiso! Unfortunately a lot of my friends and co-workers are Cubs/Wrigley fans-time to get new friends and a new job perhaps?:wink: Just out of curiosity,brucefan34,what happened from '95-'04(based on your profile)?
More Sox love from Valparaiso coming from here. I'm going to be a junior at VHS next year. Are there any other VHS students that post here?

And what somebody said earlier about the taste and seeing all the Sox gear, I went there last Monday and it happened to be White Sox day. Wow, there were a lot of fans and I got Willie, Freddy, and B-Mac's autographs. It was a nice suprise to see that it was White Sox day.

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
all 3 of my kids are Sox fans...2 heare in Plymouth & 1 down at

Ball State

Straingage
07-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally from Mokena, Now reside in Knox, IN. just south of Valpo.

skobabe8
07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
all 3 of my kids are Sox fans...2 heare in Plymouth & 1 down at

Ball State

GO CARDS

Realist
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
wheatfield, in

Holy Crap! My dad and step-mom live in Wheatfield. I thought that they and their next door neighbors were the only people there. Then again, maybe you're his next door neighbor. :?:

rhkchiro
07-08-2005, 10:08 AM
merrillvile crown point or winfield - at work or home, doesnt matter, i've been quitely enjoying great baseball on the southside since I moved here in '89. What I see is a flash of the 84 Tigers (my old locale and team) so hang on folks, this is going to be a fun one.

lets just hope ozzie ball works in the playoff format and we don't run into any "fluke" teams like the 87 twins

Bucky F. Dent
07-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Born in East Chicago, raised in St. John, now I live outside of Indy.

The Mad Mouse rocked!

When I was a kid da region was sick with Sox fans. I was an altar boy at St. John Evangelist in St. John. The priests took the altar boys on one trip to a ballgame every summer and it was ALWAYS a Sox game. Dad worked at Inland, NEVER came home with Cubs tix (or Bulls, Bears or Hawks for that matter), always Sox!

Ahhh the region, only place in the world where it looked like the sun was rising in the North on account of the glow from the mills and Chi-town, the land of crazy old Slovak ladies, potholes the size of cadillacs, REAL political corruption, Standard Oil, Strohs, Old Style, and the REAL White Castles.

Gotta love it!

irish rover
07-08-2005, 05:20 PM
any of yous guys partake in Three Floyds beer made in Munster, pretty good

KidsCanPlay
07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Munster,IN here-via the SouthSide

LuvSox
07-08-2005, 07:19 PM

Welcome!

chisoxfan4life
07-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Born in East Chicago, raised in St. John, now I live outside of Indy.

The Mad Mouse rocked!

When I was a kid da region was sick with Sox fans. I was an altar boy at St. John Evangelist in St. John. The priests took the altar boys on one trip to a ballgame every summer and it was ALWAYS a Sox game. Dad worked at Inland, NEVER came home with Cubs tix (or Bulls, Bears or Hawks for that matter), always Sox!

Ahhh the region, only place in the world where it looked like the sun was rising in the North on account of the glow from the mills and Chi-town, the land of crazy old Slovak ladies, potholes the size of cadillacs, REAL political corruption, Standard Oil, Strohs, Old Style, and the REAL White Castles.

Gotta love it!

I went to St. Paul's in Valpo and we always played St. John Evangelist during CYO sports competition. My dad works at Inland too, but it has changed names so much lately I'm not even sure of its current name. (ISG maybe?) Another thing that we have in common, my dad always brings home White Sox tickets, never ever Cubs.

skobabe8
07-09-2005, 01:03 AM

I luuuuuv 3 Floyds. I've checked out the brewery---its pretty sweet.

chettt
07-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't qualify as a northwest Indiana Sox fan, but Sox fan all the same. Greentown, IN

brucefan34
07-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Well, I was lost, confused, frightened...a man without a team for the first time in my life. I thought I would "start over" with a completely new team so I followed the D-backs for awhile. That did not last. I supported the Cardinals just because they were the Cubs rivals...that did not last. For a long time I did not even watch ANY baseball of any kind! But then watching some of the moves the Sox were making I started coming around. Bringing back all the old Sox ac manager and coaches was a big part of it. Guillen, Baines, Walker, Raines, Cora...these guys played the game the way it was meant to be played!! And Ozzie getting back to playing ball and manufacturing rus!!! This team is so fun to watch...even when they lose (although it hurts). I love the speed factor! The best thing about it? SPEED NEVER SLUMPS!!! So now I am back a fulfledged South Side fan...and this time I will not waiver!!!

brucefan34
07-11-2005, 11:53 AM
So 3 Floyds is some good stuff? Where exactly is the brewery? I should know, I work at Fitness Pointe and I think it is right near there. Do they serve food now too?

skobabe8
07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
So 3 Floyds is some good stuff? Where exactly is the brewery? I should know, I work at Fitness Pointe and I think it is right near there. Do they serve food now too?

Dude you're like a 3 iron from 3 Floyds. I couldnt tell you what street its on, but its back where all those wharehouses and business buildings are. Its not hard to find because the road goes around in a square, so you have to drive by it if you're back there. I dont think they serve food there, but they do have a little bar. Rumor has it, a micro-brew restaurant is in the works for the near future.

LuvSox
07-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Dude you're like a 3 iron from 3 Floyds. I couldnt tell you what street its on, but its back where all those wharehouses and business buildings are. Its not hard to find because the road goes around in a square, so you have to drive by it if you're back there. I dont think they serve food there, but they do have a little bar. Rumor has it, a micro-brew restaurant is in the works for the near future.

9750 Indiana Parkway

Fungo
07-11-2005, 01:43 PM
So 3 Floyds is some good stuff? Where exactly is the brewery? I should know, I work at Fitness Pointe and I think it is right near there. Do they serve food now too?3 Floyd's is some really good stuff. Surprised you didn't know that with a screenname like brucefan34...they have a brew called Robert the Bruce. I've got a keg of Pride & Joy on tap at the house. No food yet, but supposedly in the near future.

irish rover
07-12-2005, 08:11 AM

I checked the web site but no map, however if you buy it the bootles have a little map on them

skobabe8
07-12-2005, 08:23 AM
9750 Indiana Parkway

Thats it. Turn onto Superior Ave. off of Calumet Ave. Its just north of the beautiful Veterans Memorial.

brucefan34
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Thats it. Turn onto Superior Ave. off of Calumet Ave. Its just north of the beautiful Veterans Memorial.

I will have to see if they are open for lunch!!!

SOXfnNlansing
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Thats it. Turn onto Superior Ave. off of Calumet Ave. Its just north of the beautiful Veterans Memorial. I took my son to Veterans Memorial last month and it is really nice. We've passed it so many times and just stopped in there. I recommend that everyone should stop to see it if you're in the area (just watch where you're walking.......lots of geese)

SoxRule72
07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
City of Hammond

Woodmar area

Not too far from ya Mr. Roboto...........down the street from P.U.C.

Hammond IN Baby!

SoxRule72
07-14-2005, 01:12 PM

McTaverns is NOW open on Sundays...and not sure which McDonald's you're referring to but there is a Mickey D's on Kennedy just passed 173rd before u get to 80-94.

Back to McTaverns, they usually get packed on Friday nights when they have a DJ.....and I DO MEAN PACKED.

irish rover
07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
man, went to see my parents today(hadn't been down there for a long time) jeez o man the construction . Also how do you guys deal with the large increase in traffiic on columbia and eastward on 30

irish rover
07-14-2005, 08:18 PM
okay what is the fav region pizza, I like aurilios or sanfrantellos (sp)

haven't been down there in a while so there maybe others

MrRoboto83
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Not too far from ya Mr. Roboto...........down the street from P.U.C.

Hammond IN Baby!

stop by for a beer anytime!!:gulp:

MrRoboto83
07-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Gotta go with House of Pizza, it's just a stone throw away for me

SpammySosa
07-14-2005, 09:54 PM

1.Aurelio's
2.Giggle's(located in Valparaiso and Chesterton now,conquering the rest of the region later!)
3.Gelsosimo's
Old school honorable mention:Pepperpot Pizza(haven't had it in ages though).

LuvSox
07-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Gotta go with House of Pizza, it's just a stone throw away for me

Used to call it House Of Grease-a :D:

Sanfratellos
Pascales
Mystery Pizza
Gelsosomo's

rowand33
07-15-2005, 02:11 AM
Aurillios and Sanfrantellos kick ass.

Did anybody go see Kittle at the Borders on 41 last weekend?

I went in there to kill some time and Ron Kittle was signing books so I bought one.

brucefan34
07-15-2005, 08:32 AM
If I can get to Lynwood...Sanfratellos.

If not the Gelsosmos in Valpo is a damn close second! Just had it last night as a matter of fact.

And the old stand by...John's in Cal City, have not had that in years! Everyone remember Barton's! That was good stuff!

I was talking to my wife the other day about some memories of Comiskey I. And I was brought way back when I remembered one of my best memories of that great old park...the popcorn boxes the when you were done you could pop out the bottem and it became a megaphone!! I loved those things. I would always take it home and "play" with it, yelling at my sisters. Each time I would wake up one morning and it was mysteriously gone...imagine that?! They always smelled like popcorn for weeks after!

Sad
07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Gelsosomo's rules!

I used to work at the one near Portage/Hobart years ago when Tom first bought it (was an Aurelio's at that time... La Strada prior to that)...

think he still owns & operates the Portage one (at least he did before the fire) but sold the franchise/name rights for the Valpo/Chesterton ones...

Tom has an outstanding product but was a very hard person to work for... :(:

tschneid83
07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
And the old stand by...John's in Cal City, have not had that in years!

Wow that does bring back some memories. We used to go to johns constantly and still do on occasion. Anyone here ever watch them make the pizza through the glass window in the back room.

My brother moved to CP and we recently found out they have a John's same owners (well recipie at least) in the Square. Just as good as Cal city...FYI

tebman
07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I was talking to my wife the other day about some memories of Comiskey I. And I was brought way back when I remembered one of my best memories of that great old park...the popcorn boxes the when you were done you could pop out the bottem and it became a megaphone!! I loved those things. I would always take it home and "play" with it, yelling at my sisters. Each time I would wake up one morning and it was mysteriously gone...imagine that?! They always smelled like popcorn for weeks after!

You're talking about the popcorn/megaphones that had this guy on them:

:sockem

They were mighty handy as megaphones! A great design for a package -- kudos to whoever designed it many years ago.

irish rover
07-15-2005, 10:37 AM
"If I can get to Lynwood...Sanfratellos."

there is one in Dyer on RT 30, though it is only carry out so with all the traffic on 30 now a days it may be cold by the time you get it back to Valpo

cmwulf
07-17-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm in Anchorage, Ak., but I grew up in Munster...a Sox fan!:dtroll:

brucefan34
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Ankorage, Alaska.....Hello!

I was in Alaska last year for a cruise with stops in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I was the most awesome trip of my life, so awesome we already are planning another one for next year!

Bucky F. Dent
07-18-2005, 08:49 AM
okay what is the fav region pizza

Gotta be John's in Cal City.

A thirty pack of Strohs, John's Pizza. Taco Real, and White Castle. Pull a few "oversized" perch out of the breakwater by the Mill. Life is good!

soxbullslover12
07-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Little ol' Lowell right here

TDog
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Gotta be John's in Cal City....

Whenever I have the opportunity, I go to John's in Griffith.

woodenleg
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM

A thirty pack of Strohs, John's Pizza. Taco Real, and White Castle. Pull a few "oversized" perch out of the breakwater by the Mill. Life is good!

Wow - people still go to John's??

I grew up on John's - my parents had a great love of the place.

When I go home to visit, I prefer that paper-thin skinny greasy stuff that the south suburbs specialize in. A number of places have it. Anyone remember Pizza Pete? I don't know if they're still in business, but they were my favorite. Oh, and Taco Real is the best Mexican in the tri-state area!

leprchn36
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Though I grew up in the SW suburbs (Oak Lawn area,) I've lived in Hammond for 4 years now and suffer the same problem. Apparently public schools in Indiana fail to teach Geography, as most of my neighbors who grew up SOUTH (and a little bit east) of Chicago seem mindlessly devoted to that NORTH side team. Keep the faith!

soxfanforlife28
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Tony Sharpe
Downtown Valparaiso, INFormerly of Crown Point In.
Family still lives there that are all sox fans. So I guess i still consider South Bend Indiana close enough. Being a sox fan here is just as hard as it is there. Cubs fans all over the place.

SOXfnNlansing
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow - people still go to John's??
Oh, and Taco Real is the best Mexican in the tri-state area! Amen on Taco Real! Are you talking about the John's on Cline & Ridge? If so I've been there before ... not for pizza but for beer and fashion shows:gulp:

ChiSoxPatF
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Amen on Taco Real! Are you talking about the John's on Cline & Ridge? If so I've been there before ... not for pizza but for beer and fashion shows:gulp:

El Amigo's burrito in Schererville can give it a run for its money though.

LuvSox
07-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Amen on Taco Real! Are you talking about the John's on Cline & Ridge? If so I've been there before ... not for pizza but for beer and fashion shows:gulp:

John's and John's pizza are two different things, literally and figuratively :D:

TDog
07-20-2005, 10:37 AM

I know nothing about beer. The John's Pizza I am thinking about is not far from Cline and Ridge. Beyond Cline and an overpass, it's behind a White Hen Pantry. I think the street is Arbegast, or something like that. I would go there on Friday or Saturday nights, and the man making the pizza would be wearing a White Sox T-shirt.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Geez, fashion shows.....I haven't been to one in years. Porters in Hammond had a great one around ten years ago, and The Quarterback Club in E.C. had a real good one up until it burned down. It seemed to me that all the models lived in Joilet. I always found that amusing.

DaveGusinSeattle
07-20-2005, 08:31 PM
:bandance: St. John, IN many moons ago. Kiddieland, Aurillos:tongue: ... WOW :cool:
I went to Purdue, then three states later found myself in the Seattle, WA area for the last 14 years.
The Region used to be heavily Sox infested. People must read the Chicago papers, listen to WGN-TV (& others) and catch the Cubbie virus. The Sox being on pay UHF/cable really hurt the fan base in the 80's, 1994 hurt too. Maybe by the playoffs or perhaps next year the fan base can recover, especially on the South side.

I used a 10' Big Dish to pick up Sox games from 1995-2004. This year, it's cable's Extra Innings due to no coverage on the dish (except WGN).

I plan to visit in late July to visit my Dad, who's still in St. John and moving to Shererville soon.

LuvSox
07-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I know nothing about beer. The John's Pizza I am thinking about is not far from Cline and Ridge. Beyond Cline and an overpass, it's behind a White Hen Pantry. I think the street is Arbegast, or something like that. I would go there on Friday or Saturday nights, and the man making the pizza would be wearing a White Sox T-shirt.

Ridge and Arbogast in Griffith, my old stomping grounds.

tebman
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
:bandance: St. John, IN many moons ago. Kiddieland, Aurillos:tongue: ... WOW :cool:
I went to Purdue, then three states later found myself in the Seattle, WA area for the last 14 years.
St. John many moons ago? Did you ever visit the Great Oaks Drive-In Theater on Route 41? What a surreal place. In the 70s for the last years it was in business it only ran porno movies.

My dad used to golf at the big course in Cedar Lake in the 60s. I have no idea if it's still there or if it's been sold off to developers. I know suburban sprawl is creeping out there too.

Bucky F. Dent
07-21-2005, 04:09 PM
There were two courses in Cedar Lake that I remember, Monastery and South Shore. There is also Youche, but that's a country club, and I'm not entirely certain that it's in Cedar Lake, might be Crown Point.

Region Sox
07-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Munster... Good times.

IronFisk
07-22-2005, 12:52 AM
There were two courses in Cedar Lake that I remember, Monastery and South Shore. There is also Youche, but that's a country club, and I'm not entirely certain that it's in Cedar Lake, might be Crown Point.

Youche is in neither...but just south of CP.

Useless: Youche was a former mayor of CP. :?:

SouthSide4Life
07-22-2005, 12:56 AM
anybody in Whiting?

Region Sox
07-22-2005, 01:03 AM
no but enjoy pierogi fest. I do know a lot of Whiting Rats

SouthSide4Life
07-22-2005, 01:07 AM
im not polish but i know a lot of whiting rats aswell

SOXfnNlansing
07-22-2005, 02:10 AM
anybody in Whiting? I lived in Whiting for 3 years after my divorce....... what a dump that was

SOXfnNlansing
07-22-2005, 02:12 AM
:tomatoaward:tomatoaward

firejauron
07-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Gelsosomo's rules!

I used to work at the one near Portage/Hobart years ago when Tom first bought it (was an Aurelio's at that time... La Strada prior to that)...

think he still owns & operates the Portage one (at least he did before the fire) but sold the franchise/name rights for the Valpo/Chesterton ones...

Tom has an outstanding product but was a very hard person to work for... :(:

I think Tom's son owns the one in Chesterton. Very nice place.

tebman
07-22-2005, 09:58 AM
It might have been South Shore. I'll ask my mom if she remembers which course it was. This was in the early 60s -- I was a kid and caddied for him a couple of times. I just remember it being a sprawling course (though everything bigger than my alley probably seemed sprawling to me) next to the lake.

There was still a barn on Route 41 in St. John with "See Rock City" painted on the roof into the 70s. Sprawl took care of that too.

tsamdog
07-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Interesting all the 'Portage' people......I've been an educator there for 26 years. Maybe I DID teach the kids something! haha

Sad
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting all the 'Portage' people......I've been an educator there for 26 years. Maybe I DID teach the kids something! haha

I graduated from PHS in '83...

tsamdog
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I graduated from PHS in '83...

Started my career at Grissom Middle School in '79.

Sad
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Started my career at Grissom Middle School in '79.

well IIRC I must've been in 9th grade & at Grissom around then before moving to the (then new?) east addition my sophomore year...

What subjects do/did you teach?

tsamdog
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM
well IIRC I must've been in 9th grade & at Grissom around then before moving to the (then new?) east addition my sophomore year...

What subjects do/did you teach?

I was a seventh grade ELA teacher my first year at Grissom; then, I moved to ninth (still Grissom) the following year. The next twenty years (wow...tough to write) found me teaching ninth through senior honors. In 2000, I moved to admin., where I am now. To be truthful, I miss the teaching.

DaveGusinSeattle
07-24-2005, 09:01 PM
St. John many moons ago? Did you ever visit the Great Oaks Drive-In Theater on Route 41? What a surreal place. In the 70s for the last years it was in business it only ran porno movies.

My dad used to golf at the big course in Cedar Lake in the 60s. I have no idea if it's still there or if it's been sold off to developers. I know suburban sprawl is creeping out there too.

You don't mean the big hilly golf course by St. John with 2 lakes do you? That one is currently being developed into houses and townhomes.

Great Oaks had a pool there too. I learned how to swim there. My mother was a bit skittish on the place because the porno movies ran after dark. :redface: Wierd place indeed.

tschneid83
07-24-2005, 10:40 PM
You don't mean the big hilly golf course by St. John with 2 lakes do you? That one is currently being developed into houses and townhomes.

Lake Hills ..... some big houses to .... my folks thought about buying a lot but for lake view (not lake front) they wanted some outrageous amount.

tebman
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Great Oaks had a pool there too. I learned how to swim there. My mother was a bit skittish on the place because the porno movies ran after dark. :redface: Weird place indeed.
Don't know which course it was, only that it was in Cedar Lake. My mom lives in North Carolina now, so I'll have to ask her the next time I talk to her or get e-mail from her.

I didn't know Great Oaks had a pool! Weird place is right. I was there once (ahem) and saw that cheesy place as the biggest ongoing bachelor party in the Region. They showed double or triple-features of 70s porn movies, with a chatty series of announcements between the films encouraging everybody to visit the concession stand and have a nice day.

Very strange! (cue the Rod Serling music...)

Bucky F. Dent
07-25-2005, 09:17 AM
anybody in Whiting?

A good chunk of my family still lives in Whiting/Robertsdale.

Bucky F. Dent
07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Lake Hills Golf Course....my buddies and I used to tear that place up with your snowmobiles every winter. God they hated us!

firejauron
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM

I went to a Cub-Sox game at the cell a little while back with several Portage people including a few teachers (Wellman, Smith to name a couple) and some other Portage legends.

tsamdog
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I went to a Cub-Sox game at the cell a little while back with several Portage people including a few teachers (Wellman, Smith to name a couple) and some other Portage legends.

I am sure that both Smitty and NW had a good time. Smitty has organized in years past a 'doubleheader', taking in both sides of town when the schedule allows. Both kids are fine products and great reps of the system.

LuvSox
07-26-2005, 08:00 AM
anybody in Whiting?

REGION JOKE:

My girlfriend told me to "**** her where it stinks", so I took her to Whiting.

:)

tschneid83
07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
REGION JOKE:

My girlfriend told me to "**** her where it stinks", so I took her to Whiting.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:
Now that is some funny stuff

brucefan34
07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I had a friend who dated a Whiting girl in high school. We were going out one night and when we picked her up in my parents sweet black Chrysler LeBaron Cconvertable (atleast sweet for 1989!), I asked her, "Now the air around here is not going to hurt my paint job, is it?" I used to always tease her about being a Whiting-ite!

SpammySosa
07-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Speaking of the region,my wife and I finally made it to Jalapeno's last night after hearing rave reviews from many people.We ate around 6:30 and I still feel full! Very nice atmosphere and great food! It was the first time in a while I had been on that STRETCH! of Indy Blvd and was wondering if anyone has tried out that Red Robin restaurant.

firejauron
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I am sure that both Smitty and NW had a good time. Smitty has organized in years past a 'doubleheader', taking in both sides of town when the schedule allows. Both kids are fine products and great reps of the system.

Yep, both very good guys. We also had a former defensive end who played football at ND and the sheriff's son with us. I'm sure you can figure out who I am talking about. The latter two, along with me were the only two Sox fans in our group. The Cub fans had a very enjoyable experience at the Cell and want to do it again. It was a long day. Smitty was impatient and wanted to get up there at 11 AM for a 3PM start so it was a long day to say the least!

brucefan34
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Not sure if anyone saw this, but USA Today ranked the Sox radio team as the best in the majors!!! Here is the excerpt:

Rooney, Farmer give White Sox AL's top radio team
By Steve Gardner, USATODAY.com
Here's a closer look at each of the 14 AL broadcast teams. Audio highlights from the top five are courtesy of MLB.com.
1. Chicago White Sox (John Rooney, Ed Farmer)

Rooney is as solid a play-by-play announcer as the game has to offer. He has a terrific grasp of everything that's going on and he leads Farmer expertly when it's time to explain some of the intricacies in the action or go off on a tangent. ("Contrary to popular belief Goose Goslin and Heinie Manush were not close friends," Farmer interjected during a discussion of old-timers one day.) A former major league pitcher, Farmer calls play-by-play in the middle innings but he brings more of a fan's perspective to the mike. He and Rooney balance each other perfectly and they're there every single night.

A good example of how they work so well together came May 31 when the White Sox and Angels were tied going into the bottom of the ninth. Farmer came back from commercial and urged the Sox, "Let's go win it on a (Jermaine) Dye homer" before turning things over to Rooney. Three pitches later, Rooney described that exact scenario as Dye's blast cleared the fence with his trademark, "That's a White Sox winner!"

Rocky Soprano
07-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Speaking of the region,my wife and I finally made it to Jalapeno's last night after hearing rave reviews from many people.We ate around 6:30 and I still feel full! Very nice atmosphere and great food! It was the first time in a while I had been on that STRETCH! of Indy Blvd and was wondering if anyone has tried out that Red Robin restaurant.

I've been to Red Robin and its REALLY good.
They have a ton of different types of burgers.

Gotta love that they actually refill your fries! :D:

SpammySosa
07-28-2005, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up! We might go there this weekend.

PatK
07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Anybody like Chela's in Highland on 45th?

Personally, I think it's every bit as good as Taco Real, and the place is massive, so you almost never have to wait, even when it's crowded.

MrRoboto83
07-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Their fries are awesome too!! I had the Pot Roast burger, it was gooood.

skobabe8
07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Their fries are awesome too!! I had the Pot Roast burger, it was gooood.

I cant even remember the burger I had there. I was so awestruck by the french fry policy I filled myself up on fries!

brucefan34
07-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Anybody like Chela's in Highland on 45th?

Personally, I think it's every bit as good as Taco Real, and the place is massive, so you almost never have to wait, even when it's crowded.

Never been there but El Taco is my favorite. I am always down for some really good mexican fare!!

Red Robin, I have never been to but my sisters have and I NEED to go! I always tell everyone, if I was on death row and they asked me what I wanted for my last meal...a really great cheese burger, fries and a beer(s)!!

eastchicagosoxfan
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I've always though El Taco Real was overrated. Not because it isn't good, but rather because good Mexican food is very easy to get north of 169th or so. Latin Lounge was every bit as good as El Taco Real, and Adrian's has very good food too. Adrian's still has the best nachos around. The Harbor is full of good taco joints. I can't think of the name right now, but the place on Main Street, with the orange awnings has great food, booze, and it's cheap. I don't know if it's still there, but in Calumet, on maybe 148th, there was ( is? ) a corner store that sold great tacos. And countless people have had 2AM tacos from Plaza Girabaldi on the Boulevard.

TDog
07-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Anybody like Chela's in Highland on 45th?...

Where on 45th? I grew up new Indianapolis and 45th and never heard of the place.

Big Klu
07-29-2005, 11:57 PM
of Northwest Indiana getting together. Just found this board tonight and couldn't wait to become a part of it. Saw the Railcats get creamed 7-2 tonight - they did not look like they came out to play ball.

Klu

I look forward to hearing from my fellow Dyer-eeans.

Dyer Indiana - one of 100 best places to live and raise a family in the whole U.S. of A.
Been her e all my life and couldn't be happier with that recognition by Money/CNN.

GO SOX !

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Graduate of La Porte High School and St. Joseph's College (Rennselaer). Kudos to those who can name my mascots!

hansgruber
07-30-2005, 12:22 AM
any of yous guys partake in Three Floyds beer made in Munster, pretty good

Great beer! Finnegans Wake in Dyer has 4 or 5 styles on tap at any given time normally. Great little Irish pub.
Pride & Joy
Robert the Bruce
Gumball Head
Alpha King

bunnybrief
07-30-2005, 05:34 AM

GO SOX !

You people don't really call yourselves that....do you?

:o:

eastchicagosoxfan
07-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Where on 45th? I grew up new Indianapolis and 45th and never heard of the place.
I believe it's in the old Jonathan's building. It had been Karen's Seafood and Pasta, prior to Chela's relocating there. Chela's was originally in the same strip mall that housed Applegates Pub.

LuvSox
07-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Graduate of La Porte High School and St. Joseph's College (Rennselaer). Kudos to those who can name my mascots!

Slicers and Pumas

Palehose13
07-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Slicers and Pumas

Nice Job. You get a cookie! :D:

SOXfnNlansing
07-30-2005, 11:48 AM
:welcome: of Northwest Indiana getting together. Just found this board tonight and couldn't wait to become a part of it. Saw the Railcats get creamed 7-2 tonight - they did not look like they came out to play ball.

Klu

Dyer Indiana - one of 100 best places to live and raise a family in the whole U.S. of A.
Been her e all my life and couldn't be happier with that recognition by Money/CNN.

GO SOX !
I'm in Lansing (but I buy gas in Dyer):bandance:

firejauron
07-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I believe it's in the old Jonathan's building. It had been Karen's Seafood and Pasta, prior to Chela's relocating there. Chela's was originally in the same strip mall that housed Applegates Pub.

I'll have to check it out. I go out that way to John's Place and Monte's to hang out with some friends. The sign at Monte's kills me. For those who don't know it says "Monty's: Where life is good".

Big Klu
08-01-2005, 10:25 PM
You people don't really call yourselves that....do you?

:o:

:wink: No, just as a way to reveal what a great sense of humor we have ! :bigklu

irish rover
08-02-2005, 08:20 AM

we used to take our 30 packs to whiting beach(though I wouldn't call that a beach) by Lever Bros and Phil Schmidts(not sure if it still around), then hit the white castle in whiting

speaking of teachers, I had 2 at St. Thomas More who were huge sox fans, I think they had season tickets, two of the best teachers I've ever had

skobabe8
08-02-2005, 10:55 PM
we used to take our 30 packs to whiting beach(though I wouldn't call that a beach) by Lever Bros and Phil Schmidts(not sure if it still around), then hit the white castle in whiting

speaking of teachers, I had 2 at St. Thomas More who were huge sox fans, I think they had season tickets, two of the best teachers I've ever had

Phil Smidt's is still going strong.
http://www.froglegs.com/

C'monstretch
08-03-2005, 12:35 AM

speaking of teachers, I had 2 at St. Thomas More who were huge sox fans, I think they had season tickets, two of the best teachers I've ever hadSaint Tommy More=Memories

SOXfnNlansing
08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
I went to the Lake Co. fair today and I'm sad to report that cubs garb won over Sox garb 3-1 easily.......... of course there were tons of toothless hags and mullet heads donning cub hats :redneck

chisoxfan4life
08-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Did somebody say St. Thomas Moore? They were our arch enemy in CYO boys basketball. We (St. Pauls in Valparaiso) beat them for the championship in 5th grade and they returned the favor the next year.

skobabe8
08-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Did somebody say St. Thomas Moore? They were our arch enemy in CYO boys basketball. We (St. Pauls in Valparaiso) beat them for the championship in 5th grade and they returned the favor the next year.

My dad coached St. Tom's CYO squad for a few years. I wonder if he coached against you. :wink:

brucefan34
08-11-2005, 09:10 AM
I went to and played for St. Joe's in Dyer...we sucked. But I do remember sinking a half court shot against them in 8th grade ('86) at Kahler Middle School!

"Glory days...well they'll pass you by!"

Coolpapa
08-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Used to be Schererville, now in Indy, but coming up this weekend. Many relatives are sox fans in S'ville, Dyer, and Valpo

Indy here too Herb

VenturaSoxFan23
08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Hammond here also, Hessville area. Sox fans outnumber Cub fans on my street.

Son of Nordhagen
08-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Awesome thread, fellow Sox fans and Region-ites!

I am in NYC now, but grew up in Ol' Crown Point. Just made it back there for the first time in awhile for a visit. Mom lives on 41 now in St. John.
Got family all over the area, mostly Sox fans, but I had to rebel against my Old Man and his Cubbish ways.

Scored some Aurelio's while out there. There's nothing like it, if you ask me.
Other faves:
Miner Dunn. Still exists, right?
Dick's Restaurant on 41. They feed you till you can hold no more food.
Bronko's Chicken in C.P. De-lish!

Say, one of my cousins owns that Finnegan's Wake. Great place.

LuvSox
08-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Miner Dunn. Still exists, right?
Dick's Restaurant on 41. They feed you till you can hold no more food.
Bronko's Chicken in C.P. De-lish!

Say, one of my cousins owns that Finnegan's Wake. Great place.

Everything is still here. As far as I know there is only one Miner Dunn left, on Indy Blvd. in Highland.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Yep, Miner-Dunn's still hangin' in there. Now about Aurelio's, is the one in North Hammond still there (Calumet Ave, I wanna say) or did they move? I don't get over to that part of town very often. I went there once after a fishing expo at McCormick Place and it was terrific. I know they got one hidden in Griffith by Foot Locker.

Just so you know, Harding Elementary is building a new state-of-the-art school right next door to the old one. So starting next year, you won't be able to make a good comparison between the school in "A Christmas Story" and the school standing in 2006. Very different.