PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Olney: Sox are a lock for the postseason, but...

Flight #24
06-29-2005, 01:34 PM
He still thinks the Twins are the AL champs because he likes their starting pitching and bullpen "in a short series". He's apparently not sold on the Sox 'pen.

I give him credit for at least having a lucid response and rationale. This type of criticism I don't have a problem with. It is true that our bullpen guys are not as proven as the Twins. However, that doesn't mean that they can't keep it up, and IMO outside of Santana, even in a short series I like the Sox starters. Radke ain't all that he's cracked up to be.

BridgePortNative
06-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Vizciano was a major dissapiontment, he is looking like the 2003 form, the Twins bullpen is just scary, a reliever their has a 7-0 recorn with a sub 1 ERA

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=430884

SoxSpeed22
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Like we said earlier, the only way to prove ourselves is to win the whole f***in' thing.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Sorry, but predicting playoff outcomes in June is both stupid and pointless. First, who knows what these teams will even look like in October? We have a trade deadline and several months where an injury could happen. Second, the 1st round match-ups play a huge role. What if the Sox sweep a 1st round opponent while the Twins are forced to use Santanna in a game 5?

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not even sure if the Twins are a lock for the postseason at this point.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Like we said earlier, the only way to prove ourselves is to win the whole f***in' thing.

I agree, but we both know what the next thing out of ESPN's mouth will be?

"This was a down year for Major League Baseball."

:roflmao:

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I agree, but we both know what the next thing out of ESPN's mouth will be?

"This was a down year for Major League Baseball."

:roflmao:

As long as my World Championship t-shirt doesn't say, "Chicago White Sox - 2005 World Champions b/c the Yankees sucked" then I'll be happy.

mr_genius
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM

not a lock at all

i wouldn't even rank them 2nd in the central... think Cleveland has a better team

1951Campbell
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM

Cleveland's beginning to look real.

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Do The cubs or Twins Own espn Because it seems like the sox are not getting any respect there. On cbs, cnnsi, and fox they do but not on espn.

All I can say is go out there and win it all and shut them up!

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2005, 02:07 PM
not a lock at all

i wouldn't even rank them 2nd in the central... think Cleveland has a better team

And for that matter Detroit is coming on strong (last night's game notwithstanding).

Cellview22
06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
As long as my World Championship t-shirt doesn't say, "Chicago White Sox - 2005 World Champions b/c the Yankees sucked" then I'll be happy.

LMAO :rolling: That's gotta be the post of the week!

Hitmen77
06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't realize that the baseball season ended at the All-Star break. Somebody tell Cleveland, Boston, Baltimore, etc. that the Twins have already clinched the wild card.

Sounds like ESPN is having a hard time saying the Sox aren't "for real" now that we have a 9 game lead. So, now they're switching tactics and getting an early jump in eliminating us from the playoffs.

The Twins may have good starting pitching, but we'd be sending Buerhle, Garland, and Garcia to the mound in a "short series".

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Really, Oh let me, let me, I have connections..............

Pretty please!!

Banix12
06-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Cleveland's beginning to look real.

Yeah, and unlike the Twins, I think the Indians will be willing to add a major piece at the trade deadline. The tigers will be as well. I wouldn't count either of them out as teams in the running for the services of Burnett, or any of the other players on the market now.

The twins are really going to have a battle on their hands to make the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, and unlike the Twins, I think the Indians will be willing to add a major piece at the trade deadline. The tigers will be as well. I wouldn't count either of them out as teams in the running for the services of Burnett, or any of the other players on the market now.

The twins are really going to have a battle on their hands to make the playoffs.I don't believe the Tigers will make a move except with an eye toward next year. They're not going anywhere this year and they know it. From where they were two short years ago, a .500 season is quite an accomplishment.

Cleveland, OTOH, are at the doorstep, and could get past the Twins for second place with one or two players. But I doubt they have a realistic shot at a playoff berth, and are probably also only going to deal with an eye toward next year.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
It's funny. With the position the Sox are in, they essentially control who wins the wild card. If they continue to dominate the Central, someone else will sneak in. If they falter some, the Indians or Twins will get it.

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Vizciano was a major dissapiontment, he is looking like the 2003 form, the Twins bullpen is just scary, a reliever their has a 7-0 recorn with a sub 1 ERA

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=430884

That's Jesse Crain.I didn't know he was 28.Man,I thought
he was in his early 20's. :o:

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Cleveland, OTOH, are at the doorstep, and could get past the Twins for second place with one or two players. But I doubt they have a realistic shot at a playoff berth, and are probably also only going to deal with an eye toward next year.

I think the Indians have a decent shot. Their main competition for the wildcard are the O's, Twins, Rangers. Outside chances for the A's, Yankees, and Jays (if we really stretch). It could be close.

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
That's Jesse Crain.I didn't know he was 28.Man,I thought
he was in his early 20's. :o:

Didn't he get lit up the other night?

Hitmen77
06-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh, the 2005 American League champs lost to the Royals today. I guess they read the ESPN prediction and figured they could coast the rest of the way to the playoffs.

TDog
06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Sorry, but predicting playoff outcomes in June is both stupid and pointless. First, who knows what these teams will even look like in October? We have a trade deadline and several months where an injury could happen. Second, the 1st round match-ups play a huge role. What if the Sox sweep a 1st round opponent while the Twins are forced to use Santanna in a game 5?

You are correct.

There were people posting on WSI in March about the teams nearly certain to make the Wild Card.

Without meaning to sound like a dark cloud poster, it's too early to say the White Sox are a lock for the playoffs. Even at the end of August, no team is a lock for the Wild Card. More teams compete for the Wild Card than any division title, and because they are not the best teams, they are more closely bunched. A team can't coast to the Wild Card.

And, yes, you don't even know what the teams will look like, let alone what they'll have for starting rotations (the Twinks', by the way, could use an upgrade or two) or bullpens.

When the Angels won the World Series, they had an awesome reliever. Does anyone remember why he didn't look so awesome for the Angels in July?

Optipessimism
06-30-2005, 02:06 AM
In 2003 our Sox came back from like 8 games back or so at the break, lead the division, and then lost. A lot can happen so lets not even count ourselves in anything yet, much le4ss count out Cleveland or Minny. We can, however, count out the Tigers. :)

skobabe8
06-30-2005, 03:07 AM

http://www.celebritywonder.com/img/movieposter/tn/1989_Major_League.jpghttp://i.imdb.com/Icons/poster_under_licence.gif (http://www.nostalgia.com/nf_moreinfo.html?sku=42382)

MeanFish
06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't believe the Tigers will make a move except with an eye toward next year. They're not going anywhere this year and they know it. From where they were two short years ago, a .500 season is quite an accomplishment.

Truthfully, I think Cleveland could get past the Twins for second place with zero players added. Their season is very, very reminscent of our White Sox circa 2003, when we had a massive power outage and pretty good pitching for the first half of the season, then turned up the run production in the second half and almost made the playoffs.

It remains to be seen whether the Twins remain this helpless. Their lineup isn't very frightening at all compared to Detroit and Cleveland, and their pitching at this point in time is no longer appreciably better. They could be looking at fourth place in a hurry.