PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sheffield for Cameron?

Jjav829
06-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Ok, someone explain to me how this would make the Yankees better. Gary Sheffield for Mike Cameron and Miguel Cairo is the rumored trade that has been discussed by the Mets and Yankees. The Yankees fill their hole in center...but they create a hole in right field. The Yankees desperately need a centerfielder, but trading Sheffield for Cameron isn't the answer. While they gain a nice glove in center, the dropoff in offense from Sheffield to Cameron is huge. Then what would they do in right? Play Sierra full time? I doubt it. This just makes no sense for the Yankees.

Link (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3MTQ0NDcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

Baby Fisk
06-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok, someone explain to me how this would make the Yankees better. Gary Sheffield for Mike Cameron and Miguel Cairo is the rumored trade that has been discussed by the Mets and Yankees. The Yankees fill their hole in center...but they create a hole in right field. The Yankees desperately need a centerfielder, but trading Sheffield for Cameron isn't the answer. While they gain a nice glove in center, the dropoff in offense from Sheffield to Cameron is huge. Then what would they do in right? Play Sierra full time? I doubt it. This just makes no sense for the Yankees.

Link (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3MTQ0NDcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

Dude, What's the Score? :D:

Flight #24
06-29-2005, 01:15 PM

It's obvious - the Yankees are dumping salary!!!:tongue:

Seriously, I think this move is made either because a)they get a prospect back in return or b)because there's another deal lined up. They could, for example, plug in Cairo @ 2B & Cameron @ CF, then turn around and trade Cano to Colorado for Wilson (Rockies eat no salary) to play RF.

SoxSpeed22
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
If you ask me, they oughta trade for AJ Burnett. Cameron would be a good trade if they didn't have to give up Sheffield. Maybe Gordon or Stanton and whatever's left in their farm system.

SOXPHILE
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Agreed. I don't think this would help the Yankees. It looks suspiciously like making moves just for the sake of looking like they are doing something. The Yankees problems are a tad bit deeper than a swapping of Sheffield for Cameron are going to solve. They have big problems. I think the term "Making Beds in a Burning House" might be applied here.

Cubbiesuck13
06-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I think this trade would be good for the Yankees. They gain a CF that they will have for the next few years. Shef isn't going to play all that much longer and while his offense is good I don't think that it is going to be a problem when you have as many bats as they have. Remember, their problem is pitching and D and not their O.

Mr. White Sox
06-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Remember, their problem is pitching and D and not their O.

I agree, but they will need to make a trade for an OF after this deal is done, as Jjav said. Maybe they will trade eric duncan (top prospect) and cano or cairo for Preston Wilson or something along those lines...that would, unfortunately, make them a more well-rounded team.

I hate the Spankyees and hope that they will make a trade similar to the one for Mondesi...which is quite possible actually.

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Agreed. I don't think this would help the Yankees. It looks suspiciously like making moves just for the sake of looking like they are doing something. The Yankees problems are a tad bit deeper than a swapping of Sheffield for Cameron are going to solve. They have big problems. I think the term "Making Beds in a Burning House" might be applied here.

I agree.Lady Luck is being kind to the White Sox this year
by letting them win games they would have lost between
2001-2004 and she may be so sick of the Yankmees
"dynasty" that she allows them no playoff birth this year.:bandance: :bandance:

Banix12
06-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Any particular reason we're putting any credibility in a rumor that I believe was started by the NY Post? Before I believe something printed there it usually has to be corroborated by at least three sources and a conclave of priests.

Not gonna happen. It doesn't make sense to trade to fix a hole while creating another.