PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson may be put on bereavement list

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
It looks like Hermanson is going to be put on bereavement list because his dad is sick. I hope his dad gets better and he should take his time to come back. Family is more important than baseball. This was per ESPN 1000 Sports Center Update.

nebraskasox
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Will Shingo get another shot? Seems like he isn't quite on track yet. Or is it time to give Cliff another opportunity? The way he's pitched, seems like a logical choice to try again.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Will Shingo get another shot? Seems like he isn't quite on track yet. Or is it time to give Cliff another opportunity? The way he's pitched, seems like a logical choice to try again.It will likely be Shingo because Cliff was never a good closer and I really wouldn't want Ozzie to mess with success.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Until last night, Hermanson hadn't pitched in 8 days. The solution is obvious. Shellack all the opponents so a closer isn't necessary.:D:

gobears1987
06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Until last night, Hermanson hadn't pitched in 8 days. The solution is obvious. Shellack all the opponents so a closer isn't necessary.:D:
This has to be the post of the week

bigdommer
06-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I knew we would regret getting rid of Koch!

ondafarm
06-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Shingo deserves another shot and with the warmer weather his breaking stuff should be breaking better.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Shingo deserves another shot and with the warmer weather his breaking stuff should be breaking better.I agree. Give him a shot.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
My guess is it's a Politte, Marte, and Cotts combo. While Shingo has pitched well as of late, the three aforementioned guys (especially Politte and Cotts) have pitched well in pressure situations as of late.

NealCotts4Life
06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
As a proud Cliffhanger. I would love him as short term closer. Who really cares what hes done in the past. I'm sure hes never had this low of an ERA for this long. Also he has some all-star buzz around him. So I mean I think he's a pretty good choice.

P.S. Get well soon Mr. Hermanson.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 12:02 PM
My guess is it's a Politte, Marte, and Cotts combo. While Shingo has pitched well as of late, the three aforementioned guys (especially Politte and Cotts) have pitched well in pressure situations as of late.I really don't want to see Marte in the 9th inning again unless the situation absolutely dictates it.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I really don't want to see Marte in the 9th inning again unless the situation absolutely dictates it.

Yet you want to see Shingo? Hopefully neither has to do it, but at this point I am guessing Ozzie goes with Marte over Shingo.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I really don't want to see Marte in the 9th inning again unless the situation absolutely dictates it.As long as the bases aren't loaded, I have no problem with Marte in the 9th. But with bases jammed, he's almost a guaranteed BB.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Yet you want to see Shingo? Hopefully neither has to do it, but at this point I am guessing Ozzie goes with Marte over Shingo.Shingo has been more effective as of LATE than Marte has. Marte is like hawkins in that he is a great setup man however he just can't close.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Shingo has been more effective as of LATE than Marte has. Marte is like hawkins in that he is a great setup man however he just can't close.

While I think Shingo has it in him, I do not think his performances as of late are a good basis to determine if she should close out again. He hasn't been in a pressure situation in a long while now. He has been doing mop-up work and "keep us within 4 runs" work the last 6 weeks.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
While I think Shingo has it in him, I do not think his performances as of late are a good basis to determine if she should close out again. He hasn't been in a pressure situation in a long while now. He has been doing mop-up work and "keep us within 4 runs" work the last 6 weeks.Um what do you call the game against the royals that Shingo pitched in on monday. Wednesday he also pitched with a 4-run lead which isn't a huge lead either.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Um what do you call the game against the royals that Shingo pitched in on monday. Wednesday he also pitched with a 4-run lead which isn't a huge lead either.

He's looked good as of late, but like I said, with maybe the exception of the Royals game, it hasn't been a pressure outting like both Politte and Hermy had last night. Or the many time Cotts has come in and shut teams down in tie games lately. As I said, I believe Shingo can do it, I just don't think he is the next option b/c he has not been in the situation for quite some time.

maurice
06-29-2005, 12:41 PM
This also would free up a roster spot for another reliever. With 2 lefties still in the pen, there's no good reason to pick Walker over Baj again.

He gone
06-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Cliff Politte said in an interview last week that he had problems in Toronto when he was the closer. He said he was more comfortable in the set up role or long relief. I think we should go with Shingo for now and hope Dustin is back soon.

If we have to bring someone up, I'm definitely in favor of Jeff Bajenaru coming up.

Jjav829
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
It looks like Hermanson is going to be put on bereavement list because his dad is sick. I hope his dad gets better and he should take his time to come back. Family is more important than baseball. This was per ESPN 1000 Sports Center Update.

Hopefully it's not serious.

This would be a nice time to give a reliever from the minors a brief stint here. Does anyone know if Jenks has any options left? This would seem to be a nice time to bring Jenks up, assuming we can option him back down because he wouldn't pass through waivers.

batmanZoSo
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Hopefully we start hitting again today, but we can get by for a short while with a C-B-C.

MUScholar21
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
As a proud Cliffhanger. I would love him as short term closer. Who really cares what hes done in the past. I'm sure hes never had this low of an ERA for this long. Also he has some all-star buzz around him. So I mean I think he's a pretty good choice.

P.S. Get well soon Mr. Hermanson.

Is there a middle reliever in the Sox pen you AREN'T a fan of? :D:

wdelaney72
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
With the exception of 5/29 in Texaxs, Shingo has pitched well as of late. Shingo wasn't the only only guy beat up that day, the Sox lost 12-4.

Unless a lefty leads off the 9th, I don't want Marte anywhere near the 9th. And if there is a lefty leading off the 9th, I want Cotts in there.

Bottom line is Shingo has been pitching well and has closing experience. He should get the nod.

NealCotts4Life
06-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Is there a middle reliever in the Sox pen you AREN'T a fan of? :D:

In fact now that I think about it, no. I love all the whole 'pen. Cliff, Neal, Viz, Hermie, Shingo, Marte. They are all awesome. I know Shingo and Viz have been shaky. But Mr. Zero is returning to form and Luis has gotten out of some jams. He's gotten a rotten deal on ERA because of the 3rd game of the season against the Tribe. What can I say this bullpen is just superb. Also Baj has been looking pretty sexay in AAA too.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Hopefully it's not serious.

This would be a nice time to give a reliever from the minors a brief stint here. Does anyone know if Jenks has any options left? This would seem to be a nice time to bring Jenks up, assuming we can option him back down because he wouldn't pass through waivers.Jenks is already on the 40-man roster so he's using up an option regardless. It will be interesting to see who they bring up. Bajenaru has been lights-out in Charlotte.

oeo
06-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I agree. Give him a shot.

Agreed...he's also in Comerica, so he's got a lot of room to keep from giving up his infamous homerun balls.

Foulke You
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a sound plan to me.:D:

kojak
06-29-2005, 04:07 PM
To me, it is a no-brainer to see what Cotts can do in the closer role. I think his time is near...

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 04:09 PM
To me, it is a no-brainer to see what Cotts can do in the closer role. I think his time is near...no. I don't fully trust Marte yet so I want another lefty. let shingo have the ball in the ninth.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 04:15 PM
no. I don't fully trust Marte yet so I want another lefty. let shingo have the ball in the ninth.

Luckily we have Ozzie making these decisions, so who you or I trust makes no difference.

White Sox Josh
06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
It's a no-brainer IMHO. Vizcaino should be the closer

JermaineDye05
06-29-2005, 04:26 PM
any ideas on who's gonna get called up if hermy goes to bereavement, another bullpen guy, or maybe another infielder, Pedro Lopez perhaps, or maybe Brian Anderson might get called up, most likely another arm for the bullpen though

maurice
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
It has to be a pitcher. I don't see Ozzie going with an even shorter pen.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
It has to be a pitcher. I don't see Ozzie going with an even shorter pen.I'd sure think it has to be Bajenaru or Jenks. Adkins has sucked wind in AAA this year, but for some reason Ozzie likes him, so he could be the dark horse.

Mr. White Sox
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
look for Baj or Jenks to get called up. Shingo or Marte will probably be given closer duties. While I don't like Marte in the ninth, he does have experience and Ozzie is his #1 fan, so it is a possibility.

EDIT: does anyone know when this roster move is taking place? will baj/jenks/whomever be ready for this series or the series @ OAK?

Steakpita
06-29-2005, 05:01 PM
El Duque at closer! his arm is too old for this starter stuff anyways. Start Cotts.

Cubbiesuck13
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
What about Kevin Walker? When he was sent down was he released as well?

I am not wondering if you think he should come up so instead of posting "he sucks" over and over, go pound sand.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
What about Kevin Walker? When he was sent down was he released as well?

I am not wondering if you think he should come up so instead of posting "he sucks" over and over, go pound sand.He wasn't released, but he did pretty much suck when he had his chance, so I don't think he'll get the call.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 05:47 PM
I'd sure think it has to be Bajenaru or Jenks. Adkins has sucked wind in AAA this year, but for some reason Ozzie likes him, so he could be the dark horse.
You would've figured that with his vast experience from last year, he'd be able to do more than a 5.63 ERA in AAA ball.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
You would've figured that with his vast experience from last year, he'd be able to do more than a 5.63 ERA in AAA ball.He's been starting at Charlotte. Why? :dunno:

Jurr
06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
He's been starting at Charlotte. Why? :dunno:
Exactly. Adkins is a two pitch pitcher. He features a great two seamer and a good curve. He throws a changeup, but it's rated as "minus", so it's not MLB quality.

A two pitch pitcher doesn't have enough deception to last many innings. This means that Adkins is probably developing some pitches on the job. Management must think he's got some serious stuff (starter stuff, even)if he can learn a couple more pitches.

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
He wasn't released, but he did pretty much suck when he had his chance, so I don't think he'll get the call.

I think Walker should close!!

Mohoney
06-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Exactly. Adkins is a two pitch pitcher. He features a great two seamer and a good curve. He throws a changeup, but it's rated as "minus", so it's not MLB quality.

A two pitch pitcher doesn't have enough deception to last many innings. This means that Adkins is probably developing some pitches on the job. Management must think he's got some serious stuff (starter stuff, even)if he can learn a couple more pitches.

This is exactly right. He doesn't even have a "show" pitch, let alone a dependable enough 3rd pitch to throw for strikes.

I would just as soon take a look at Bobby Jenks' stuff or bring up Bajenaru than bring up Adkins again.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 06:53 PM
This is exactly right. He doesn't even have a "show" pitch, let alone a dependable enough 3rd pitch to throw for strikes.

I would just as soon take a look at Bobby Jenks' stuff or bring up Bajenaru than bring up Adkins again.This could actually be a blessing in disguise. It gives them an opportunity to get a look at one of the minor league relievers. One of these guys might be a better option than Vizcaino.

ElevenUp
06-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd go with Shingo. He's looked pretty good as of late, and is a proven closer. He's throwing strikes. Marte scares me every time I see him out there.

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Hawk just said on Chicago Tribune Live that it would no doubt be Politte. Don't know if that's Ozzie's thoughts too, but I would think so.

Cubbiesuck13
06-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Hawk just said on Chicago Tribune Live that it would no doubt be Politte. Don't know if that's Ozzie's thoughts too, but I would think so.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pollitte or Shingo in there depending on the situation.