PDA

View Full Version : Frank Deford NPR Piece

Spicoli
06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
This morning Frank Deford read another one of his insightful articles on NPR's Morning Edition. You can listen to it at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4722648

He rails on the sports "highlight" and blames it for ruining true appreciation of sports. His focal point is the rise of the Home Run... At any rate, I thought many of you on this board would appreciate this article. ESPN certainly won't....

PaulDrake
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Deford's SI article about boxer Billy Conn in 1985 I believe is one of the best things I've ever read on any subject. The Frank Defords of the world could never get a job at ESPN or Fox Sports. Way too intelligent.

Spicoli
06-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Deford's SI article about boxer Billy Conn in 1985 I believe is one of the best things I've ever read on any subject. The Frank Defords of the world could never get a job at ESPN or Fox Sports. Way too intelligent.

Have you (or anybody else here) read his new book on baseball? I forget the title, but it came out about two months ago and I have been wanting to pick it up as I am a big fan of his sports writing. I'd be curious to hear what others think of his books if you have read it. Thanks in advance.