PDA

View Full Version : Stat Time - Relief Pitching

Madvora
06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
You want to talk about impressive... Look at these three guys...

______Politte____ Hermanson_______Cotts
- IP____30.2__________30.1____________29.2
- ERA___1.17__________1.48____________2.12
- SO____31____________18______________34
- BB_____8____________11______________13
- ER_____4_____________5_______________7
- R______4_____________8_______________8
- H_____13____________26______________17
- SV____ 0____________19_______________0
- BAA__.135__________.236_____________.165

With the struggles of Takatsu and Vizcaino, these three are carrying this team.
I am so unbelievably impressed.

ChicagoHoosier
06-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Is Polite a legit closer?

What I love is that we have several guys who all could be relied upon to close, Hermy showed he's got what it takes under pressure to close a game out under heavy pressure, and Cotts is doing great in our long-relief role.

Man, I just keep getting more and more excited about this team and I don't think that's possible.

Madvora
06-29-2005, 10:23 AM

What I love is that we have several guys who all could be relied upon to close, Hermy showed he's got what it takes under pressure to close a game out under heavy pressure, and Cotts is doing great in our long-relief role.

Man, I just keep getting more and more excited about this team and I don't think that's possible.
You can go from the starter to any one of these guys in any game and I feel totally confident. What a great feeling that is to have.
By the way, what makes Hermanson all-star worthy and Politte not?

mjharrison72
06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't forget BAA for these guys:

Politte: .135
Cotts: .165
Hermanson: .236

mjharrison72
06-29-2005, 10:30 AM
By the way, what makes Hermanson all-star worthy and Politte not?
19 saves in 20 opportunities?

daveeym
06-29-2005, 10:32 AM

Man, I just keep getting more and more excited about this team and I don't think that's possible. I'd say no he didn't really thrive in his past opportunites as a closer. I think Ozzie isn't getting nearly enough credit. No way all three of these guys happen to just turn it around this year and go lights out.

Maybe Ozzie is just a little bit better at managing a pen than most people are willing to give him credit for. Putting these guys in the right situations and matchups probably helps them all out.

Madvora
06-29-2005, 10:32 AM
19 saves in 20 opportunities?
Oh yeah. That sucks for Cliffy though because his stats are actually a little better. I guess the wins aren't as important for relievers.

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 10:53 AM

No if for no other reason than he's said that he doesn't want to be.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
IMO, the Sox still need one more reliable reliever. Very few pens have six solid arms, but I consider 4 to be a must. Shingo has been doing better lately, but I still have some doubts about him. Marte has been inconsistent and Vizcaino flat stinks. If one of these three others can step up, fine. Otherwise, this should be a first priority for Kenny.

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2005, 11:02 AM
This is fantastic. This reminds me of the 1990 Sox bullpen with Scott Radinsky and Barry Jones setting up Bobby Thigpen. It sure would be nice to get Marte back to his 2003 form, and either Shingo or Vizcaino on track. If not, the "Big 3" still will need some long-relief/middle relief help. Still, it's nice to have three guys anchoring the back end of the pen.

harwar
06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Three of the things needed to be successful in the post-season are great starting pitching,a very good lead-off man,and a great bullpen..so far so good.

nebraskasox
06-29-2005, 11:33 AM
It's been said that Politte doesn't have the "mentality" of a closer. I don't know if that's true or just inferred from lack of results in his previous opportunities. I love Politte and Cotts right now in their current roles as set up guys for Hermanson. I am most comfortable with Politte right now in his current role. I love the way he challenges hitters with those "hit it if you can" BB strikes. Hermie makes it a little too exciting at times (like last night), but he gets the job done. Cotts seems like he's still learning the craft & needs Coop to remind him, "you've got great stuff, just throw strikes" (same message to Contreras). As good as he's been, it seems that Cotts has even more upside. He appears capable of becomming one of the leagues top relievers. These 3 are a big part of the success we've had in many close games. One more quality guy in the pen would make this team even tougher. I'd like to see Marte step up and be that guy.

balke
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Marte's slider had some wicked range on it his last outing, and his fastball was sharp on the inside corner to righties. He doesn't always get the call when he hits the back of homeplate with his pitch, but he was hitting his spots from what I saw. Hopefully he returns back to 2.00 ERA form soon.

batmanZoSo
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
IMO, the Sox still need one more reliable reliever. Very few pens have six solid arms, but I consider 4 to be a must. Shingo has been doing better lately, but I still have some doubts about him. Marte has been inconsistent and Vizcaino flat stinks. If one of these three others can step up, fine. Otherwise, this should be a first priority for Kenny.

Yeah, it's hard to trust Marte this year. He's done a pretty good job considering he's clearly not been the same as years past, but I would sleep a lot easier at night if we had another Politte. You can never have too good a bullpen and middle relievers are the cheapest integral players to get.

hold2dibber
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Pretty impressive. Does anyone know where to find out what percentage of inherited runners they've allowed to score?

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Pretty impressive. Does anyone know where to find out what percentage of inherited runners they've allowed to score?Baseballprospectus.com has lots of useful stuff like that.

Linky (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/)

mccoydp
06-29-2005, 04:45 PM

What's impressive is how nicely you lined everything up :thumbsup:

Steakpita
06-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Marte's been hurting a lot of this year, right? I have faith he'll return to form... there aren't many guys I am more interested to see come out of that bullpen either in a high-pressure situation (the two-outs K to help sweep the Dodgers with men on) or in extra innings.

Here's to the bullpen. :gulp:

TDog
06-30-2005, 11:45 AM
The bullpen got a blown save Wednesday night, giving up a game-tying sacrifice fly. Some "save situations" are tougher than others. But overall, nearly the entire bullpen, including Viz and Shingo, did its job.

Wednesday's wasn't the first game this season that the Sox won a game that easily could have been a walk-off loss.

elrod
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
The bullpen got a blown save Wednesday night, giving up a game-tying sacrifice fly. Some "save situations" are tougher than others. But overall, nearly the entire bullpen, including Viz and Shingo, did its job.

Wednesday's wasn't the first game this season that the Sox won a game that easily could have been a walk-off loss.

That's a tough stat there considering McCarthy gave up a 1-out triple. Cotts gave up a sac fly and that was it (though the next hitter got a single so if Shelton had only gotten a double, or if the fly out was too shallow, the next hitter would have knocked him in anyway).