PDA

View Full Version : Who'da thunk it? AL Central Pitching The Best in Baseball So Far!

Fredsox
06-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Check this out. I was surprised to see that out of the top 7 team ERA's in MLB the AL Central has 4 teams!
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/sortableStatsTeam?league=MLB&position=all&timeframe=season&stable=pitching&stat=ERA&dir=ascending&season=2005&start=1&end=50

1. Angels 3.40
2. Sox 3.50
3. Cardinals 3.57
4. Twins 3.70
5. Indians 3.72
6. Braves 3.81
7. Tigers 3.85

If you're interested in potential playoff opponents in the AL, Orioles have (18) 4.30, the Yankees (20th) have 4.52, the Rangers (23) have 4.73, and the Red Sox (24) have 4.75.

If this holds true for the rest of the season and post-season, it looks like pitching will dominate over hitting.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Check this out. I was surprised to see that out of the top 7 team ERA's in MLB the AL Central has 4 teams!
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/sortableStatsTeam?league=MLB&position=all&timeframe=season&stable=pitching&stat=ERA&dir=ascending&season=2005&start=1&end=50

1. Angels 3.40
2. Sox 3.50
3. Cardinals 3.57
4. Twins 3.70
5. Indians 3.72
6. Braves 3.81
7. Tigers 3.85

If you're interested in potential playoff opponents in the AL, Orioles have (18) 4.30, the Yankees (20th) have 4.52, the Rangers (23) have 4.73, and the Red Sox (24) have 4.75.

If this holds true for the rest of the season and post-season, it looks like pitching will dominate over hitting.And two of those seven are NL teams, who have a built-in 0.5 ERA advantage due to having pitchers batting instead of a DH.

Tragg
06-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Which is why the AL Central is the best division in baseball, by far, this year.

TDog
06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't think the ERAs are low because the AL Central teams have been pitching extensively against each other, although facing the NL West teams hasn't hurt. The schedule hasn't become extremely unbalanced yet. I've read baseball beat writers from Cleveland, Detroit and St. Paul (who seem to give the White Sox more respect than the baseball beat writers out of Chicago). They contend that the teams in the Central, with the exception of KC, have set out with some success at becoming the Twins, a team that begins with solid pitching, both starting and relief.

At this point, they have written, the Sox are more like recent Twins teams than the Twins have been.

Fredsox
06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Well my conclusion is that if pitching is what wins championships, we're well positioned. I would expect KW to continue to "pile it on" before the trade deadline July 31st. I look for additional middle relief or perhaps a closer, along with another starter so they can send McCarthy back to AAA where he can develop for a year.

NealCotts4Life
06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the Angels either are on the verge of Sweeping the Rangers or have swept the Rangers. There definatly opening up the AL West race. So yea, they are the only team with a better ERA than the Sox.

BridgePortNative
06-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the Angels either are on the verge of Sweeping the Rangers or have swept the Rangers. There definatly opening up the AL West race. So yea, they are the only team with a better ERA than the Sox.

The Angels are 8 games ahead of the Rangers, they are running away with that division.

Fredsox
06-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Frankly, I am more concerned with the Angels than any other team. They do not appear to have any significant weaknesses. The teams in the east just don't scare me. It will be very interesting when they show up at Comiskey Sept 9-11.

BridgePortNative
06-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Frankly, I am more concerned with the Angels than any other team. They do not appear to have any significant weaknesses. The teams in the east just don't scare me. It will be very interesting when they show up at Comiskey Sept 9-11.

This is the team that is very intimidating, I hope they don't pitch that Santana guy, he made our hitters look absolutely stupid

batmanZoSo
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
The Angels are 8 games ahead of the Rangers, they are running away with that division.

Hopefully Texas stays in the race and wins the wildcard so we can face them in the first round. Otherwise of course it would be the East or West Winner if the Twins get in. I wouldn't mind facing Balto in the first round, I'm sure we'd beat them, but the Red Sox will likely be the division winner.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Hopefully Texas stays in the race and wins the wildcard so we can face them in the first round. Otherwise of course it would be the East or West Winner if the Twins get in. I wouldn't mind facing Balto in the first round, I'm sure we'd beat them, but the Red Sox will likely be the division winner.I dunno. Texas is the one team that scares me more than any other. Their offense is unbelievable. If they should get a few good outings from their starters, they'd be almost impossible to beat.

SoxFan76
06-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I dunno. Texas is the one team that scares me more than any other. Their offense is unbelievable. If they should get a few good outings from their starters, they'd be almost impossible to beat.

Both the Angels and Rangers scare me. The Rangers offense, like you said, is unbelievable. Then there is Vlad and the Angels. Oh, not to mention Finley, Anderson, Erstad, Molina. Colon and Lackey also seem to be impressive when I see them. OH, and then there's Donnely and Francisco Rodriguez!