PDA

View Full Version : Angels Best team in AL?

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2005, 02:42 AM
FYI, BBTN analyst PG proclaimed tonight after beating the Rangers that the Angels are far and away the best team in the AL. .........maybe we shouldn't even finish playing out our schedule now :(

BNLSox
06-29-2005, 02:47 AM
Peter probably still thinks the Cubs Twins World Series is a probable event. The guy, while very well informed, makes really large/sweeping statements on a regular basis with little to no validity.

We took 4 out of 7 against PG's best team in Baseball with four of the seven being on the road (which would not be the case in the potential future playoff series). I was at one of those games. Yes they were Vlad-less, but we were Thomas-less. Not quite an equal loss to each team, but close.

Boo PG.

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 02:49 AM
FYI, BBTN analyst PG proclaimed tonight after beating the Rangers that the Angels are far and away the best team in the AL. .........maybe we shouldn't even finish playing out our schedule now :(

:boston "I said that because I consider the White Sox to be a triple A club. And yes, they ARE the best team in AAA."

Banix12
06-29-2005, 02:57 AM
:whocares

batmanZoSo
06-29-2005, 03:24 AM
Maybe they are. Who gives a rat's ass? They weren't the best team in 2002. Anything can happen. You always have to win those 11 in October.

samram
06-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Maybe they are. Who gives a rat's ass? They weren't the best team in 2002. Anything can happen. You always have to win those 11 in October.

Exactly. Boston's opinion doesn't really mean anything. That said, if there was a team in the AL I would say is better than the Sox, LAA would be that team. The Sox have better starting pitching, the bullpens are probably even (although K-Rod is better than Hermanson), and the Angels' offense is better. I would love to see this be an ALCS matchup because both team play the game right and are well managed. Plus, their series so far this year have been very entertaining.

Hitmen77
06-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I heard that attendance numbers now count in the standings. This is why the Angels are a better team than the Sox. This would help explain the media's obsession with Sox attendance.

mccoydp
06-29-2005, 10:09 AM
:hawk

"I LOOOOOVE the Angels...they're FEISTY!"

jdm2662
06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
There will be a new team next week. The Angels have won eight in a row, and they are a damn good team already. All of this is moot point come October.
________
MICHIGAN MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
The Angels are a damn good team.

But so are the White Sox, Blow Sawx,Rangers,Indians and Twins.
This will sort itself out in the coming months.
Let time tell who the "best" team in the A.L. is.

Oh yeah,nice job saving that Blow Sawx win last night,Foulke.:angry:

And,as mentioned earlier in this post,please remember that
the best team DOESN'T ALWAYS WIN!!!:(: :(:

TDog
06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't think there's any question the Angels are playing better baseball than the White Sox right now. It's still June, though.

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Well I think hands down they are a better team than us, Just look at their Pitching Staff. They kill us there.

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't think there's any question the Angels are playing better baseball than the White Sox right now. It's still June, though.

We've won 8 of our last 10. They've won 9 of their last 10. I guess they are playing better ball.

TBlock29
06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
I know LAA is a great team and they are playing good ball...but how could the old fart Peter Gammons say that the LAA is the best team in baseball and that they don't need a trade to help them...I just can't understand that at all??? The Chicago White Sox have the best record in baseball...best home record in AL (tied for MLB)...best road record in AL (.5 back of MLB). And people still have the balls to say another team is the best...GO SOX :gulp:

Jurr
06-29-2005, 06:13 PM
I know LAA is a great team and they are playing good ball...but how could the old fart Peter Gammons say that the LAA is the best team in baseball and that they don't need a trade to help them...I just can't understand that at all??? The Chicago White Sox have the best record in baseball...best home record in AL (tied for MLB)...best road record in AL (.5 back of MLB). And people still have the balls to say another team is the best...GO SOX :gulp:
There's already a thread lambasting the guy for this crap. Typical garbage from garbage "experts".

ilsox7
06-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Who cares.. Who cares. Who cares.

What these guys say means nothing.

DumpJerry
06-29-2005, 06:15 PM
You were asking how Peter Gammons can say this because you don't understand Peter Gammons not fawning over the White Sox?

What is there not to understand about Peter Gammons failing to praise the Chicago White Sox?

Now, if somebody with a brain in their head like Voodoochile, for example, were to say what Peter Gammons said, then I would be confused, too.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 06:18 PM
You were asking how Peter Gammons can say this because you don't understand Peter Gammons not fawning over the White Sox?

What is there not to understand about Peter Gammons failing to praise the Chicago White Sox?

Now, if somebody with a brain in their head like, Voodoochile for example, were to say what Peter Gammons said, then I would be confused, too.
Peter Gammons wouldn't know which way to put a jockstrap on if he was handed one. He's a Red Sox fan with a decent pen. That's it. Oh...and he has a bunch of GM's numbers (who take his calls because he leaks every other GM's business)

I'd love to see Gammons and Kurkijan play in a celebrity softball game. It would be absolutely hilarious.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2005, 06:20 PM
the Angels are really good on paper... and ESPN types seem to focus on that. Besides, they need to talk about different teams every once in a while.

So BBTN doesn't think the Sox have the best 25man roster... so what.

UNDER THE RADAR

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 06:23 PM
the Angels are really good on paper... and ESPN types seem to focus on that. Besides, they need to talk about different teams every once in a while.

UNDER THE RADARThe Angels are pretty good on the field, too. They're the only team in the AL in the top five in both offense and pitching. Plus, they've been scorching hot lately and these mediots have short attention spans.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 06:25 PM

UNDER THE RADAR
To be honest, the Sox probably don't have the best 25 man roster. It doesn't matter. The teams that play the best and have the most cohesion are the teams that win. The Sox are the best in those departments.

If overall talent won it all, Baltimore would've won two titles in the mid 90's, the Yankees wouldn't have won the whole thing in the late 90's (but would've dominated the last 4 years), and Oakland would've been incredible (not winning one WS but 3 or 4) during their heyday.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2005, 06:26 PM
The Angels are pretty good on the field, too. They're the only team in the AL in the top five in both offense and pitching. Plus, they've been scorching hot lately and these mediots have short attention spans.

I agree, but I was being entirely biased. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree, but I was being entirely biased. :cool:I didn't think that was allowed around here.:wink:

Tragg
06-29-2005, 06:39 PM

While I share your disappointment that Gammons missed another opportunity to talk well about the Sox, that's really not what he said. He said that the Angels are solid all over (solid, not great, lineup, eg) but that the Angels (not him) are saying they don't need anybody. Also, while he said that he thinks the Angels will have the best record, he has a point in this sense - they play in a much weaker division than we do.
I still say the best thing for the Sox is to somehow avoid Boston or the Angels in around 1.

Dolanski
06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Peter Gammons wouldn't know which way to put a jockstrap on if he was handed one. He's a Red Sox fan with a decent pen. That's it. Oh...and he has a bunch of GM's numbers (who take his calls because he leaks every other GM's business)

I'd love to see Gammons and Kurkijan play in a celebrity softball game. It would be absolutely hilarious.

Tim Kurkijan is the reincarnation of Howdy Doody.

MIgrenade
06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
At least the Angels are good. He could easily have said Cleveland, or, God forbid, the Yankees. So don't get too upset, they are making great strides.

Chicago83
06-29-2005, 10:46 PM
I think everybody just needs to ignore Peter Gammons, then maybe he will go away.

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 02:18 AM

You give him too much credit with the pen and he wears the jockstrap backwards because, ... well , the man just has no huevos ...

so now, why does anyone watch him again!?!?! (that's the confusing part)

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2005, 03:17 AM

Now, if somebody with a brain in their head like Voodoochile, for example, were to say what Peter Gammons said, then I would be confused, too. But PG is in the HOF

skobabe8
06-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Just like Harold Reynolds said the Red Sox are the most likely division leader to win their division.

WE. DON'T. CARE.

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
umm PG, I think the wheels are coming off yer angels now http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeSubFrame=2005&groupByTeam=true&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

balke
06-30-2005, 09:17 PM
I've had this discussion the past couple of days with people, and all I can say is AT BEST you can say the Angels are as good as the White Sox. Sox have better pitching, Angels have better hitting, both bullpens are great. But 53-24 speaks for itself at the moment.

Gammons has also been talking up his Tigers and Indians lately as if they are the best in the division, even though they can't catch the White Sox this season (he admitted). He has bias to certain teams, like his talk up of Mike Timlin for the All-Star Game, when Politte has been amazing all season and no mention was made.

Whatever. We're winning, Angels will probably win their division and are a very scary team. They are better with Vlad, we are better with Thomas. Sox are #1 til proven otherwise.

soxwon
06-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I heard that attendance numbers now count in the standings. This is why the Angels are a better team than the Sox. This would help explain the media's obsession with Sox attendance.

Didnt you hear- MLB announced in comparing two teams,
take the wins of each team, determine who has higher attendence, and add 14 to the win total of the team with larger attendence.

Thus since the cubs have won 13 less than the sox, the cubs have more fans this year, add 14 thus the Cubs are Officially the better team.
get it?

Chisox003
06-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Look, the Angles are a very good team

As a matter of fact, they are the only team in the AL, IMO, that can contend with our Sox right now...

They have power, speed, good pitching, and a good pen, but cmon...What it comes down to is the records speak for themselves, and the Sox are 53-24.

There. Easy enough. Go Sox :gulp: