PDA

View Full Version : Rowand

johnnyg83
06-28-2005, 11:24 PM
For the life of me I can;t recall Rowand's rise to the big-league team. Was he a high draft pick? Did he have great numbers in the minor leagues? I just watched the throwback Dodgers/Sox game on Tivo and his at bat to drive in Willie Harris just made me think what a stud this guy is and how he flew under the radar when everyone was talking Borchard and Reed. I know he had some decent college numbers.

Daver
06-28-2005, 11:56 PM
For the life of me I can;t recall Rowand's rise to the big-league team. Was he a high draft pick? Did he have great numbers in the minor leagues? I just watched the throwback Dodgers/Sox game on Tivo and his at bat to drive in Willie Harris just made me think what a stud this guy is and how he flew under the radar when everyone was talking Borchard and Reed. I know he had some decent college numbers.

He was a sandwich first round pick, put up average at best, numbers in the minors as a left fielder, and grew into being a big league player at this level. His play still leaves a lot to be desired from a centerfielder, but he gets the job done.

johnnyg83
06-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks.

Was he just considered a stopgap until someone better came along?

I met him during the opener series in KC in 2003 -- decent guy, in a tavern he looks like a short, but normal guy with an overgrooming issue -- never be mistaken for a baseball player expcept maybe for his funky facial hair -- and me and my buddies bought him 5 fingers of Jim Beam -- he chugged it and then put his head down for about 5 minutes. He proceeded to crap the bed that year and I'm convinced if only we hadn't bought that drink.

gosox3072
06-29-2005, 12:36 AM
His play still leaves a lot to be desired from a centerfielder, but he gets the job done.

:?:

kevingrt
06-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks.

Can anyone say Joe Borchard or hell Jeremy Reed. Rowand was almost always known as a stop-gap it seemed, especially after his dirt bike accident

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks.

I met him during the opener series in KC in 2003 -- decent guy, in a tavern he looks like a short, but normal guy with an overgrooming issue -- never be mistaken for a baseball player expcept maybe for his funky facial hair -- and me and my buddies bought him 5 fingers of Jim Beam -- he chugged it and then put his head down for about 5 minutes. He proceeded to crap the bed that year and I'm convinced if only we hadn't bought that drink.

YOU FOOL! J/k...thats pretty funny actually. did he pass out?

Jurr
06-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Aaron would be that guy to pass out at the bar, though I think he would be paranoid about "not looking cool". The way he plays and all of his follow throughs, etc. make me think he's always trying to pose for his next baseball card.

Madvora
06-29-2005, 08:52 AM
I remember Rowand's first year in 2001 when he was running into walls and making spectacular catches regularly. I loved the guy. In 2002 his defense seemed to suffer a little bit. He wasn't horrible, but I think he made a few noticeable errors (actually only 4 now that I look at the stats.) It was probably an unfair comparison to the past year.
He's great defensively out there, but I don't remember him making as many spectacular plays as he did in his first year, and he only played 61 games in 2001.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I remember Rowand's first year in 2001 when he was running into walls and making spectacular catches regularly. I loved the guy. In 2002 his defense seemed to suffer a little bit. He wasn't horrible, but I think he made a few noticeable errors (actually only 4 now that I look at the stats.) It was probably an unfair comparison to the past year.
He's great defensively out there, but I don't remember him making as many spectacular plays as he did in his first year, and he only played 61 games in 2001.
Ohhhhh...people used to absolutely KILL him on this board back in the day. You think they skewer Joe Crede now??? Aaron was a model whipping boy for a long time.

johnnyg83
06-29-2005, 09:17 AM
YOU FOOL! J/k...thats pretty funny actually. did he pass out?
He didn;t pass out, but he left with the girl he was with a few minutes later. Looking a bit wounded...

ondafarm
06-29-2005, 09:19 AM

An outfielder who runs into walls and makes spectacular catches is not a good defensive outfielder. Good defense in the outfield is about positioning, knowing the pitching sequence, getting great jumps and getting great reads off the ball. I think ARow could improve on all of these. Incidently, the Trib has an article http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0506290206jun29,1,227369.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed from Mitchell about how wonderful CLee is as a defensive guy. He blows all of those criteria badly. Shows how much Fred Mitchell knows about baseball. The best defensive CF I ever saw was Bobby Dernier. He didn't make spectatcular catches, he did his homework and was in position to make the routine catch.

ondafarm
06-29-2005, 09:20 AM
He didn;t pass out, but he left with the girl he was with a few minutes later. Looking a bit wounded...

Brunette, about 5'5"? That's his wife.

Cubbiesuck13
06-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I saw Rowand in a bar and he can hold his own. The next day was a day game and he went 2-4. I thought for sure he wasn't going to play well. I know I couldn't play ball well at all with a hangover. I like Rowand's hustle. As was stated, he may not take the best routes to the balls but no one can question his hustle.

Church Turtle
06-29-2005, 11:14 AM
I have very few complaints. It'd have to be a very good free-agent or trade to move him out of CF for us. I get the impression that he'd be willing to do just about anything Ozzie asked if it'd help the team.

johnnyg83
06-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Brunette, about 5'5"? That's his wife.

I was a lil drunk -- but I seem to remember her being blonde. He called her his fiancee, and they were from the same home town. She was really cool and Rowand got a little out of sorts 'cause we were talking to her I think he thought we were hitting on her. He told us the whole motocross-quad accident story.

We saw him again (same bar -- 2004) two years later and he was with a different chick -- (maybe that's his wife?). We tried to buy him another "humbler" but he declined. Stats went way up that year.

maurice
06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
It'd have to be a very good free-agent or trade to move him out of CF for us.

Or Brian Anderson.

ode to veeck
06-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Aaron has improved a lot as a CF. He didn't come up playing that position, but was the mostly playing the corners previously. He isn't Willie Mays or Chet Lemon out there. but he's continued to improve. Last night he got good jumps on a couple of balls, making one very nice straight over his should catch just in front of the wall on a dead run.

ondafarm
06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I was a lil drunk -- but I seem to remember her being blonde. He called her his fiancee, and they were from the same home town. She was really cool and Rowand got a little out of sorts 'cause we were talking to her I think he thought we were hitting on her. He told us the whole motocross-quad accident story.

We saw him again (same bar -- 2004) two years later and he was with a different chick -- (maybe that's his wife?). We tried to buy him another "humbler" but he declined. Stats went way up that year.

He and his wife Marianne have two kids. The kids were pretty young when I saw them, just babies actually, the other Charlotte wives/ girlfriends were helping out.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 06:10 PM
I saw Rowand in a bar and he can hold his own. The next day was a day game and he went 2-4. I thought for sure he wasn't going to play well. I know I couldn't play ball well at all with a hangover. I like Rowand's hustle. As was stated, he may not take the best routes to the balls but no one can question his hustle.
Ohhh...athletes and their metabolisms.
The bar that my girlfriend tends is the biggest one in Memphis. Every traveling basketball team (and some Grizzlies) go there after games. I've seen 'em all sucking down lots of alcohol.

I'm really good friends with front office people with the Grizz, and through them I've been out drinking on several occasions with Cardinal (former Boilermaker) and Battier. Shane can drink like a fish (irish carbomb after irish carbomb), and will be fine the next night's game.

One of the funniest things was during the past playoffs. Steve Nash, Jim Jackson, and Shawn Marion came into the bar. People kept buy Nash drinks, (like he needs to be bought drinks) and he kept pounding them. Marion was out on Beale St. all night, yet they come in and blow the Grizzlies out the next night.

Those guys can drink like accomplished drunks twice their size and still come out and be awesome the next day. It's crazy.