PDA

View Full Version : Minoso Statue Was Vandalized During Cubs/Sox Series...

Lip Man 1
06-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Don't know where the original thread is but those of you who e-mailed the Tribune may be interested in this story tonight:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050628soxbits,1,393529.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Lip

JB98
06-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Naturally, there is no indication that Cubs fans were responsible for the damage.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Not surprising at all. They said it was "broken". Wrong.
It was "broken by a CUBS FAN". If the same thing happened to the Harry Caray statue, you can bet your house the article would would mention it was done by Sox fans. It would then talk about "sox fans" Ligue and Dybass

soxjim
06-28-2005, 09:55 PM
We are currently in Detroit at our hotel. If that would happen to one of the statues at Commerica park that would be terrible. If that would happen to Harry at Wrigley or its walk of fame who knows what investigation services would get involved. Who ever did this does not deserve to be called a baseball fan.

DrCrawdad
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
per the Cubune...

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Tomorrow's edition? It's about friggin time!

DrCrawdad
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Apparently it wasn't all that peaceful during the recent Cubs-White Sox series.

The White Sox confirmed that the bat from the statue of Sox great Minnie Minoso was broken over the weekend at U.S. Cellular Field.

The Sox were able to retrieve the bat, and a sculptor was in the process of repairing the damage, a team spokesman said.

The omissions are most interesting. Who vandalized the statue? Posters here reported that they observed a group of Cubbie fans vandalizing the statue. The article perhaps hints that it was Cubbie fans, but that is surely not clear and nothing like the slam on Sox fans regarding the dead ivy.

The bat was retrieved? Well from whom was it retrieved? Was it retrieved from Cubbie fans? We all damn well know that if the situation were reversed and the Harry Caray statue was vandalized during the Cubs/Sox series, the Cubune would sure as hell report on Sox fans as the culprits, with or without evidence.

tebman
06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53026)for a more in-depth discussion with George Knue about the Tribune's editorial behavior.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-28-2005, 10:31 PM
:moron

"What are you guys saying? a cub fan did it?!? seriously, you sox fans are the worst in baseball. you're destroying your own park now."

itsnotrequired
06-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Glad to see this getting some press. What, a Sox fan is going to bust up a statue in their own park on a sold out date? Seems reasonable.

Idiots.

batmanZoSo
06-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Gee, what a big #$%@# surprise I don't hear about this until days later, and only on here. Unbelievable. Or just right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HebrewHammer
06-28-2005, 10:55 PM
It sucks that the statue was damaged, but I'm glad they retrieved the broken bat. I'd hate for some yuppie jerkbag to have that on his mantle.

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Glad to see this getting some press. What, a Sox fan is going to bust up a statue in their own park on a sold out date? Seems reasonable.

Idiots.
Exactly, a Sox fan is not going to deface a statue of Minoso. The fact that the article is a small blurb with no details given speaks VOLUMES about who the culprits were.

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Since we're on the subject, why isnt there a plaque or at least a nameplate next to Minoso's statue? I checked it out last week and I couldnt understand it. Unless I'm blind, I looked around for something and couldnt find anything. :?:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Since we're on the subject, why isnt there a plaque or at least a nameplate next to Minoso's statue? I checked it out last week and I couldnt understand it. Unless I'm blind, I looked around for something and couldnt find anything. :?:

I was there for the Friday game, and the plaque commemorating Minoso was in front of the statue, similar to Comiskey's on the RF side.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Typical crap from a fan base that pisses anywhere in their stadium but the bathrooms. :mad:

Sad
06-29-2005, 07:28 AM

I couldn't remember seeing one either... perhaps it was added recently?

VenturaFan23
06-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Exactly, a Sox fan is not going to deface a statue of Minoso. The fact that the article is a small blurb with no details given speaks VOLUMES about who the culprits were.

My thoughts exactly when I first read it. I just hope more media jump on this thing especially Boers & Bernstein. Remember the last time the trib tried to cover something up? Boers ripped them to shreds!

Hangar18
06-29-2005, 07:54 AM
per the Cubune...

Isnt that something? This was reported at WSI.........FIRST.
Who says the Chicago Media isnt biased in favor of the lovable cubbies

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Isnt that something? This was reported at WSI.........FIRST.
Who says the Chicago Media isnt biased in favor of the lovable cubbiesSeveral people here contacted the Chicago media on MONDAY about this. What took them so long? Too much baseball news on Tuesday (Cubs and Sox both idle)? And the only report was a small blurb inside next to the fold. If it was the Harry Carey statue, we all know it would have been on the front page with color photos.

SOXPHILE
06-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm sure there will be some follow up stories in the next couple of days in the Trib, saying who did it and if they were caught.

Minoso Statue Vandals Identified
Sox fans in disguise try to place blame on Cub fans.
History of Hooligans & Destruction on South Side-pages 2-3

Wrigley & U.S. Cellular-
A Study in Contrasts
Why the Cubs & Wrigley "Get It", While Sox & The Cell Never Will- Back Page

LuvSox
06-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Friggin' douche bag flub "fans", stay on your own side of town.

SoxFan78
06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I emailed Silvy and Carmen the "story" in the trib and also a link to the thread started on WSI on Sunday about the incident. Lets see if they talk about it.

white sox bill
06-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Thats allright, next game @ wrigley, us Sox fans will dump weed killer on YOUR ivy!!

daveeym
06-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Several people here contacted the Chicago media on MONDAY about this. What took them so long? Too much baseball news on Tuesday (Cubs and Sox both idle)? And the only report was a small blurb inside next to the fold. If it was the Harry Carey statue, we all know it would have been on the front page with color photos.Yeah but they can get access to Harry since he's on the sidewalk.

Church Turtle
06-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Stinking drunks! And the media basically covers it up. I am so glad I don't root for the Ursa Minors. Buncha stinking drunks.:angry:

Dan H
06-29-2005, 09:47 AM
On Sunday I listened to the morning show on the Score. I didn't recognize the guy talking because I don't listen the station much. He gave this fancy speech about how Cub and Sox fans should cheer for the other team. That's all nice, but I have never such Cub fan jealousy as this year. Yes, I know we all celebrated the Cub collapse in 2003. But I don't recall anyone going over to Wrigley that year to vandalize Harry's statue or do anything else to the park. Enough is enough already.

We Sox fans suffered two black eyes when those dopes went on the field attacking people. But the Cubs have their incident with the Dodgers, the guy who tried to attack Randy Myers and now this. I don't want to hear any more lectures from the media how we should be more like Cub fans. As far as I am concerned, the Cubs-Sox series can end. We then can have less Cub fans coming over to US Cellular and they can take their drunken crap elsewhere.

cheeses_h_rice
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
I realize this isn't on the level of, say, some weeds turning brown, but it is interesting to note the contrast in the level of coverage given the two stories.

If I'm not mistaken, the dead weeds occupied the front page of the Cubune sports section, with a huge color photo.

With the Minnie statue? No photo, story buried 3 days later, no potential blame directed at anyone, despite the perpetrator being identified as a Flubs fan by those who saw the vandalism happen.

Interesting contrast.

Jaffar
06-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I joined in the party and emailed Silvy and Carmen and they just said they are going to talk about it next hour, it's nice how they set it up by saying, "lots of Sox fans accusing Cub fans for vandalizing the Minnie statue". Jerks.

harwar
06-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Sometimes its better to take care of this kind of thing in person.
From what i could find there were no arrests or even anyone held.We need names of the perpetrators.
I guess security found the bat,but more than likely,the nice people that did this,realized that getting out of the park with it might be some difficult.
I just hope the national media doesn't use this as they will just say that it was White sox fans doing harm to their own park.

Sad
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
I don't want to hear any more lectures from the media how we should be more like Cub fans. As far as I am concerned, the Cubs-Sox series can end. We then can have less Cub fans coming over to US Cellular and they can take their drunken crap elsewhere.

well cheering for another Chicago team is one thing, but being more like young disrespectful drunken frat-punks is another... :angry: this idiot should've been taken down below & given the phone book treatment...

DrCrawdad
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
The following was recently posted on Scott Reifort's blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/).

Minoso Statue Damaged, To Be Repaired

In Response to Questions

Unfortunately, the rumors are accurate that the Minnie Minoso sculpture was damaged on Sunday. His bat was broken off by a fan, who then escaped into the crowd. Our security personnel did recover the bat. I spoke with one of our sculptors, and we hope to have repairs done as soon as this Friday.

Mark Gonzales of the Tribune heard the same rumors and emailed me last night to verify. To his credit, he ran a note today. Sox fans can debate the play of this story vis-a-vis the burned out ivy story of a few years ago -- as you already are doing. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon and be none the worst for wear.

Jaffar
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
My reply from Silvy at 10:01am,

MATT...

we will talk about it before noon...
and there was a blurb about it in the tribune...

silvy

AWESOME A BLURB!!! is what I replied.

TommyJohn
06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
On Sunday I listened to the morning show on the Score. I didn't recognize the guy talking because I don't listen the station much. He gave this fancy speech about how Cub and Sox fans should cheer for the other team. That's all nice, but I have never such Cub fan jealousy as this year. Yes, I know we all celebrated the Cub collapse in 2003. But I don't recall anyone going over to Wrigley that year to vandalize Harry's statue or do anything else to the park. Enough is enough already.

We Sox fans suffered two black eyes when those dopes went on the field attacking people. But the Cubs have their incident with the Dodgers, the guy who tried to attack Randy Myers and now this. I don't want to hear any more lectures from the media how we should be more like Cub fans. As far as I am concerned, the Cubs-Sox series can end. We then can have less Cub fans coming over to US Cellular and they can take their drunken crap elsewhere.

You forgot about the many instances, in 2003 and 2004, of fans trashing the
Wrigley outfield with garbage after some bad umpire calls. And how Steve
Bartman left the night of Game 6 being booed, sworn at, trashed, and
basically in fear of his life. Come on. Gotta give discredit where discredit is
due.

scottjanssens
06-29-2005, 10:33 AM
You forgot about the many instancs, in 2003 and 2004, of fans trashing the Wrigley outfield with garbage after some bad umpire calls.

I was told that those fences at the top of the outfield wall were the result of fans throwing crap on the field. We should thank the fans for the fence. It allowed Iguchi a home run that otherwise would have hit just below the top of the wall.

Only Cub fans could engage in behavior destructive to their own team.

Jerko
06-29-2005, 10:34 AM
We get a "blurb" about Minnie, but I found this in like 2 seconds:

http://diamondbaseballtours.com/Wrigley20099.jpg

I wonder if I can find a photo of the damage to Minnie's statue

MUScholar21
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I emailed Silvy and Carmen the "story" in the trib and also a link to the thread started on WSI on Sunday about the incident. Lets see if they talk about it.

I've emailed them every day this week about it, and Mac Jurko and Harry as well. S & C have been teasing it, but haven't gotten to it.

I'm glad this is something finally (albeit barely) being reported. I was starting to feel like I had a tin foil hat on and only just now realized it.

MUScholar21
06-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Dan, you couldn't be more correct. I had the absolute same feeling-absolutely sick that this kind of vandalism could happen. I won't claim that Sox fans are perfect fans, but to do this to one of the living legends of our organization is appalling. I don't want this series to take place any more. It has been ruined for me.

I think part of the reason I don't want it played anymore is because 1) I doubt there won't be some sort of retaliation next year and 2) I can't say I would be sad if it did.

PatK
06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Carmen and Silvy are covering this now and of course, Silvy the Cubs fan is acting like this is something the Sox should be blamed for. Where was security? Why wasn't this prevented? Why wasn't anyone caught?

Silvy's tone was also one that hinted, IMO, that this was staged because of the lack of details and information available.

And they are saying that it's not that big of a deal, and that the ivy incident WAS important because Wrigley is a "shrine of baseball".

And of course, they went way out of their way to defend Cubs fans in this incident, that they shouldn't be blamed without any Cubs fans being caught, despite eyewitness accounts.

maurice
06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
The White Sox confirmed that the bat from the statue of Sox great Minnie Minosowas broken over the weekend at U.S. Cellular Field.

Awfully convenient use of the passive voice. Yup, no bias there!

Fake Chet Lemon
06-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Well, we did kill some of their ivy in left-center a few years back if you recall. OK, we are even.

jdm2662
06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Hopefully, the security cameras caught this on tape, and this issue will be resolved. And of course, it can't be the Cubbie fans fault! They are such lovable people...
________
Gay Guy (http://www.****tube.com/categories/624/guy/videos/1)

CHISOXFAN13
06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, we did kill some of their ivy in left-center a few years back if you recall. OK, we are even.

Um, no we didn't. It was revealed that some sort of plant product in fact killed the leaves on the wall.

cheeses_h_rice
06-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Hopefully, the security cameras caught this on tape, and this issue will be resolved. And of course, it can't be the Cubbie fans fault! They are such lovable people...

:lynch&mcfail

"Well, we think it would be very classless of the White Sox organization to release a videotape in order to make another party look bad. We certainly would never do that ourselves."

maurice
06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
But that didn't stop the Chicago media from claiming (without any evidence) that it was a Sox fan. Here, OTOH, we have evidence that the damage was intentionally caused by cub fans, resulting in a several day delay in reporting, inclusion in the "notes" section (not a stand-alone article), and the passsive voice.

Dan H
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
You forgot about the many instancs, in 2003 and 2004, of fans trashing the
Bartman left the night of Game 6 being booed, sworn at, trashed, and was
basically in fear of his life. Come on. Gotta give discredit where discredit is
due.

You are right. I should give discredit when discredit is due. I was very lax on this one. We can never underestimate Cub fans too much.

MUScholar21
06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
:lynch&mcfail

"Well, we think it would be very classless of the White Sox organization to release a videotape in order to make another party look bad. We certainly would never do that ourselves."

ROTFLMAO!!!!!:nod: :wired: :yup: :worship:

dividedsk717
06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Um, no we didn't. It was revealed that some sort of plant product in fact killed the leaves on the wall.

I'm guessing that: 1) it would cost a lot more to repair a statue than to nurse some random vine back to health, and 2) statues are usually created for someone's honor, while vines are just ... well ... vines.

So, if you look at it objectively, there seems to be a big difference between killing leaves and defacing a statue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I'm way off base here. :dunno:

I'm so glad the media covers what's really important.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Interesting though that once again WSI appears to be setting the lead for a story. Of course as Daver would say, Reifert doesn't consider this site a legitimate operation and organization. LOL

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately without any proof, without any arrests of say folks decked out in Cub gear no one has any way of knowing who did this and whom they rooted for.

I agree it was probably Cub fans since it doesn't make any sense for Sox fans to do this at their own park but probability isn't proof and I wouldn't make that allegation if I ran a newspaper.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Now, compare, if you will, the Cubune's coverage (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112668&postcount=1) of the dead weeds from the summer of 2002:

Whodunit
By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

July 16, 2002

The Wrigley Field Vandal left no fingerprints and no clues.

He left behind only the result of his crime—a hideous gap in the lush ivy that adorns the outfield wall at Wrigley Field.

"We think someone leaned over from the bleachers and dumped something that killed some of our ivy," Cubs executive vice president Mark McGuire said.

Cubs officials have no suspects. But they do suspect the person is a White Sox fan.

"I think we're just assuming," McGuire said. "No decent Cubs fan would damage the ivy."

They also have a strong bit of circumstantial evidence. Head groundskeeper Roger Baird noticed preliminary evidence of the damage during the Cubs' series against Texas, which took place June 18-20.

The Cubs were host to the Sox from June 14-16. June 17 was an off day.

"If somebody poured something on that area, it would take 48-72 hours to start taking effect," Baird said. "Hopefully, God-willing, it comes back."

All that's missing from the reporting on the Minoso statue is a quote from Roger Bossard saying "No decent White Sox fan would damage the statue," right?

dickallen15
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
But that didn't stop the Chicago media from claiming (without any evidence) that it was a Sox fan. Here, OTOH, we have evidence that the damage was intentionally caused by cub fans, resulting in a several day delay in reporting, inclusion in the "notes" section (not a stand-alone article), and the passsive voice.

Not just the media, but a Cubs official. I believe it was John McDonough claiming it was a Sox fan. It didn't even happen during a Sox/Cubs series. Sox fans don't go to the Urinal if the Sox aren't there.

balke
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm not upset about the lack of cub accusations, its just wierd that there is no picture in the trib, and no mention of whether the Sox know who did this, and no mention of why this is a big deal.

white sox bill
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Now, compare, if you will, the Cubune's coverage (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112668&postcount=1) of the dead weeds from the summer of 2002:

All that's missing from the reporting on the Minoso statue is a quote from Roger Bossard saying "No decent White Sox fan would damage the statue," right?

Well then we should send the Trib Corp a bill for killing those "weeds" that always seem to come back every year!

MUScholar21
06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Well then we should send the Trib Corp a bill for killing those "weeds" that always seem to come back every year!

Those are called Yankees fans, and that is really more of an issue for Bud Selig

:D:

Frank the Tank
06-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Am I the only person that is glad the statue destruction isn't being acknowledged by the media? Am I the only person that laughed his a%! off when he learned about the Wrigley vine killing? The media acknowledging the statue incident would only give the punk who did it what he/she wants....Attention! I'm sure a large number of cubs fans will derive the same satisfaction out of the breaking of Minnie's bat as I did from the dead vines at Wrigley. Keep it quiet and don't give cubs fans more ammunition to get on my nerves with.

FRANK FORT
06-29-2005, 01:15 PM
I shudder to think what the guy even wanted that piece of bat for. perhaps he had recentlyt broken up with his boyfriend or wanted something to entertain himself for the ride back to Boystown.

itsnotrequired
06-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I shudder to think what the guy even wanted that piece of bat for. perhaps he had recentlyt broken up with his boyfriend or wanted something to entertain himself for the ride back to Boystown.

Careful...

mr_genius
06-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Am I the only person that is glad the statue destruction isn't being acknowledged by the media? Am I the only person that laughed his a%! off when he learned about the Wrigley vine killing? The media acknowledging the statue incident would only give the punk who did it what he/she wants....Attention! I'm sure a large number of cubs fans will derive the same satisfaction out of the breaking of Minnie's bat as I did from the dead vines at Wrigley. Keep it quiet and don't give cubs fans more ammunition to get on my nerves with.

haha, man you read my mind

thats exactly what i was thinking when i heard about the stolen bat.

Hangar18
06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Whats pretty clear here, is that there are 2 very different sets of journalistic standards (and I use the term "journalistic" loosely) in operation. One for the SOX, One for the Cubs. The Media loves the Cubs is what this points out,
and more reason to discredit the Media and hate the Cubs and their "fans".

mr_genius
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Whats pretty clear here, is that there are 2 very different sets of journalistic standards (and I use the term "journalistic" loosely) in operation. One for the SOX, One for the Cubs. The Media loves the Cubs is what this points out,
and more reason to discredit the Media and hate the Cubs and their "fans".

definately

one of the two main papers in town should have atleast wrote about the vandalism and the extremely rude/drunken behavior of cubs fans at US cellular over the weekend. makes mr_genius angry!

Foulke You
06-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I would also like to point out that the Sun-Times had nothing on this story in this morning's paper. Not even a blurb from what I saw. This is ridiculous. :angry:

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Whodunit
By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

July 16, 2002

The Wrigley Field Vandal left no fingerprints and no clues.

He left behind only the result of his crime—a hideous gap in the lush ivy that adorns the outfield wall at Wrigley Field.

"We think someone leaned over from the bleachers and dumped something that killed some of our ivy," Cubs executive vice president Mark McGuire said.

Cubs officials have no suspects. But they do suspect the person is a White Sox fan.

"I think we're just assuming," McGuire said. "No decent Cubs fan would damage the ivy."

They also have a strong bit of circumstantial evidence. Head groundskeeper Roger Baird noticed preliminary evidence of the damage during the Cubs' series against Texas, which took place June 18-20.

The Cubs were host to the Sox from June 14-16. June 17 was an off day.

"If somebody poured something on that area, it would take 48-72 hours to start taking effect," Baird said. "Hopefully, God-willing, it comes back."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading this LITERALLY made me run to the bathroom and jettison this afternoons' turkey sandwhich.

:chunks

BRDSR
06-29-2005, 04:40 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure glad that God took a break from willing other things and willed for the Ivy at Wrigley Field to come back.

Honestly, a little perspective: No infinite or loving God would ever will that Ivy to come back. Besides, this year God's a Sox fan!

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2005, 05:07 PM

That's MY thread- I totally started it Sunday night!!!! I'm so proud! :smile:

And yeah, Silvy & Carmen did discuss it this morning, along with more than one reference to WSI and the four page thread about it. :thumbsup: However, they didn't confirm or deny that it was Scrub fans who did it, which I was a little disappointed about. And to think... I wasn't even going to bother starting the thread, since it was in reference to something Scrub fans did! So glad I did! :bandance:

MIgrenade
06-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Honestly, a little perspective: No infinite or loving God would ever will that Ivy to come back. Besides, this year God's a Sox fan!

That would explain this drought killing all the plants.:tongue:

DrCrawdad
06-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Here's what one Cub fan had to say about the vandalism:

Claims of Cubs bias and liberal bias in the media are about the same - they're good at getting their bases fired up (Sox fans and Republicans, respectively) but not necessarily accurate.

More Chicagoans know and care about the ivy at Wrigley than the Minoso statue. The Trib is in business to sell papers. If they thought the Minoso statue being vandalized was a big enough story, it would have been front-paged.

balke
06-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah its the only place on the planet you can find Ivy actually. Its such a rare plant to find, especially in the city of Chicago. ITs very important to the city of Chicago that we protect the Cubs Ivy. :rolleyes:

flo-B-flo
06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
You forgot about the many instances, in 2003 and 2004, of fans trashing the
Bartman left the night of Game 6 being booed, sworn at, trashed, and
basically in fear of his life. How come these never get any play? And that guy getting shot after a game last year. There have been quite a few incidents over there that have been seriously under played.

anti-cub
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
mgonzales@tribune.com

I think it's a Paul Sullivan incident. Where the Cubune columnist tells Steve Stone that someone else changed his article not him. I think Mark Gonzales is a Sox fan and probably wrote it in that a Flub fan more than likely vandalized Minnie, yet the editor took it out.

TommyJohn
06-30-2005, 09:22 AM

Gag. Just more of the same sneering tripe. It isn't news because no one cares.
Well, it should be news is what everyone here is saying. Especially since a
section of dead ivy was blamed on a White Sox fan.

Cubbie fan misses the point. It isn't that the dead ivy was news because
everyone loves the Cubs and their holy ivy that has us riled up; it's that
back then the Trib not only front paged it, they allowed the Cubs to blame
a faceless, nameless, "White Sox fan" without the least little shred of proof.
Then a story like this comes along and goes barely reported because
"there is no evidence."

I read threads like this and it reminds me of what the media harrumphed
last year, especially Rick Telander: "We're not biased in favor of the Cubs,
but if we are, it's because their attendance is higher. So there."

Uncle_Patrick
06-30-2005, 09:49 AM

Typical Cubs fan arrogance. "Everyone loves the ivy, no one cares about Minnie Minoso." I'm sorry, but I believe that vandalism of this type that occurs at either park deserves equal coverage. When that stuff with the ivy happen, you'd have thought that someone was murdered instead of a plant dying. The Minoso story is being treated like someone tipped over a garbage can instead of the defacing of a staute of a White Sox icon.

Rocky Soprano
06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
This morning B96 talked about it for like a minute. They did make a quick mention about it possibly being a Cub fan. And how stupid that was of them.

DrCrawdad
07-01-2005, 12:49 AM
I emailed Teddy Greenstein about Minnie's broken bat. Here is what I received from "TG" today:

Easy, (DrCrawdad). You might recall that it was a Cubs official who half-jokingly said it must have been a Cubs fan. It wasn't like I investigated it. I assume you can understand the difference.

TG

I assume that Greenstein meant Sox fan instead of Cubs fan. If the official was half-joking then no one caught the joke, as no other outlets referred to it as a joke, Cubs fans didn't take it as a joke and I as a Sox fan didn't find it funny.

They need to use teal.

C-Dawg
07-01-2005, 06:57 AM
"We're not biased in favor of the Cubs,
but if we are, it's because their attendance is higher. So there."

LOL That's sort of like saying "I'm not fat, but if I am, its because I weigh 900 pounds."

Anyway, I mentioned the statue damage to a longtime Cub fan I know, and he immediately brought up the ivy incident, and wouldn't entertain even for one second that it might not have been a Sox fan. Heck there's NO proof either way; it may have been a drunk Cub fan peeing over the wall that killed the ivy - that's more likely than anything involving a Sox fan in my opinion.

DrCrawdad
07-01-2005, 07:14 AM
LOL That's sort of like saying "I'm not fat, but if I am, its because I weigh 900 pounds."

Anyway, I mentioned the statue damage to a longtime Cub fan I know, and he immediately brought up the ivy incident, and wouldn't entertain even for one second that it might not have been a Sox fan. Heck there's NO proof either way; it may have been a drunk Cub fan peeing over the wall that killed the ivy - that's more likely than anything involving a Sox fan in my opinion.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2004-08/13674674.jpg
It was a joke, get it? You Sox fans, you have no sense of humor.

Ol' No. 2
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM

Anyway, I mentioned the statue damage to a longtime Cub fan I know, and he immediately brought up the ivy incident, and wouldn't entertain even for one second that it might not have been a Sox fan. Heck there's NO proof either way; it may have been a drunk Cub fan peeing over the wall that killed the ivy - that's more likely than anything involving a Sox fan in my opinion.Actually, IIRC, it was established that the dead ivy was due to a groundskeeper's mistake. I'm surprised you didn't hear about it. It was front-page news in all the papers.

JermaineDye05
07-01-2005, 01:35 PM
it'll be funny if bob brenly and len kasper answer my question, I asked about the minnie minoso statue and did mention that a cubs fan most likely did it, lets see if they read it, prolly not

miker
07-01-2005, 02:45 PM
A friend of mine has offered to head to the Urinal and super-glue a red White Sox hat to the Harry statue while replacing the microphone with a Falstaff.

I think I should have enough for bail...