PDA

View Full Version : Rolen again

KempersRS
11-18-2001, 11:34 AM
What's everyone's opinion on bringing Rolen in? He won't play for the Phillies, they need to trade him as soon as possible. I know the Sox aren't going to sign anybody, so this is actually an idea. Since management seems to hate Crede, why not grab Rolen instead of a worthless Ventura? Just assume for a second that there is baseball next year, would Rolen be worth getting?

Daver
11-18-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS
What's everyone's opinion on bringing Rolen in? He won't play for the Phillies, they need to trade him as soon as possible. I know the Sox aren't going to sign anybody, so this is actually an idea. Since management seems to hate Crede, why not grab Rolen instead of a worthless Ventura? Just assume for a second that there is baseball next year, would Rolen be worth getting?

No.

Jerry_Manuel
11-18-2001, 11:53 AM
What's everyone's opinion on bringing Rolen in?

If they don't play Crede, I would say to go after him. If there going to give Joe the job then no I wouldn't.

KempersRS
11-18-2001, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by daver

No.

I just love it when you analyze. :smile:

Daver
11-18-2001, 12:03 PM

I just love it when you analyze. :smile:

Thank you

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

(Those are for Jerry)

danman31
11-18-2001, 02:01 PM

Rolen is not someone the Sox should go after. He just isn't.

kermittheefrog
11-18-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by danman31

Rolen is not someone the Sox should go after. He just isn't.

What's wrong with Rolen? He's good on both offense and defense. He's got all three major offensive skills, hitting for average, hitting for power and drawing walks. He's already won two gold gloves. If you go to Baseball-Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rolensc01.shtml) and look at the most similar players to Rolen through this year you see Gary Sheffield, Jim Ray Hart, Bob Horner, Chipper Jones, Jack Clark, Richie Hebner, Harlond Clift, Dick Allen, Shawn Green and Jim Thome.

Sheff, Clark and Thome were/are still stars in their 30s. Jones and Green are still pretty young but great players. Jim Ray Hart, Bob Horner and Harlond Clift all had their careers cut short by injuries. Allen had his career cut short by being a dick. And Hebner was never as good as Rolen but he 18 year career and plated 1908 games.

Bmr31
11-18-2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

What's wrong with Rolen? He's good on both offense and defense. He's got all three major offensive skills, hitting for average, hitting for power and drawing walks. He's already won two gold gloves. If you go to Baseball-Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rolensc01.shtml) and look at the most similar players to Rolen through this year you see Gary Sheffield, Jim Ray Hart, Bob Horner, Chipper Jones, Jack Clark, Richie Hebner, Harlond Clift, Dick Allen, Shawn Green and Jim Thome.

Sheff, Clark and Thome were/are still stars in their 30s. Jones and Green are still pretty young but great players. Jim Ray Hart, Bob Horner and Harlond Clift all had their careers cut short by injuries. Allen had his career cut short by being a dick. And Hebner was never as good as Rolen but he 18 year career and plated 1908 games.

I think people feel rolen is talented, but the sox have other specific needs.

danman31
11-18-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

I think people feel rolen is talented, but the sox have other specific needs.

My thoughts exactly. Rolen is good, but we have Crede and we don't need anything else at 3B. We need pitching depth.

Jerry_Manuel
11-18-2001, 06:16 PM
My thoughts exactly. Rolen is good, but we have Crede and we don't need anything else at 3B. We need pitching depth.

Yes we have Crede but does our management team know that?

danman31
11-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yes we have Crede but does our management team know that?

Probably not. The Sox need to let the young kids come through full force. This has happened before, the young guys are coming up and management didn't know what to do with them.

kermittheefrog
11-18-2001, 06:48 PM

I think that Rolen is the kind of player you have to try and get if the chance exists. Compare Crede with Rolen: When Crede was 22 he was the MVP of the Southern League but when Rolen was 22 he was the NL Rookie of the Year. At 23 Crede had a somewhat dissapointing season at AAA hitting .276/.349/.464 67 Runs 65 RBI, at 23 Rolen hit .290/.391/.532 120 Runs 110 RBI and won the NL Gold Glove at third.

Bmr31
11-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I think that Rolen is the kind of player you have to try and get if the chance exists. Compare Crede with Rolen: When Crede was 22 he was the MVP of the Southern League but when Rolen was 22 he was the NL Rookie of the Year. At 23 Crede had a somewhat dissapointing season at AAA hitting .276/.349/.464 67 Runs 65 RBI, at 23 Rolen hit .290/.391/.532 120 Runs 110 RBI and won the NL Gold Glove at third.

and since then? Rolen has had chronic injuries and has been a chronic disappointment.

Spiff
11-19-2001, 01:46 PM

and since then? Rolen has had chronic injuries and has been a chronic disappointment.

Really? That's why he played 151 games this year.

.289 25HR 107RBI 96R 39-2B .876OPS 16SB

What a loser.

For once I have to agree with Kermit. Though he probably shouldn't be their first priority, Crede is no guarantee.

Daver
11-19-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

What a loser.

For once I have to agree with Kermit. Though he probably shouldn't be their first priority, Crede is no guarantee.

There is no guarantees in baseball,thats why they play the games.Robin Ventura was not a guarantee when they brought him north from AA,but he turned out to be a pretty good ballplayer,I think Crede deserves the same chance.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Bmr31
11-19-2001, 06:10 PM

What a loser.

check your facts first. Rolen is ALWAYS injured. 2nd, i never said he was a loser. what would make you say that? I just said we have other priorities.

kermittheefrog
11-19-2001, 06:27 PM

check your facts first. Rolen is ALWAYS injured. 2nd, i never said he was a loser. what would make you say that? I just said we have other priorities.

Rolen had some back problems in 99 & 2000 but last year Veterans stadium got rid of their old turf and Rolen played 151 games. I'd take my chances with him on some nice forgiving grass.

bringbackrobin
11-20-2001, 01:44 AM
There's no doubt Rolen's a special player, but he's also a back tweak away from being just another DH. Every trade has some risk attached to it, but you had better get a pretty sure thing for the kind of talent the Phillies would want.

RedPinStripes
11-20-2001, 03:05 AM

What a loser.

Strange things are happening here. I also agree with kermit.
We have too many hopefuls already. Why not start getting some ball players? Crede can be good trade bait eventhough I like him.

Dadawg_77
11-21-2001, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I know am coming into the party late but I feel like talking baseball today.

Get Rolen, he would be improvement over who we have now. The Phillies are looking for 3B (Crede) , and yound pitcher who appears on course to become a stud (we have a couple) and prospect.
I like Crede and think he will do good things in major leagues, but Rolen is proven. True he has some back problems but most of them were related to the worst playing surface ever used in professional sports. Last year with the new turf, he had a lot less problems with his back. Grass would even be better then turf.

But to get him, we would probally out bid the Yankees.

KempersRS
11-21-2001, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Yeah, I know am coming into the party late but I feel like talking baseball today.

Get Rolen, he would be improvement over who we have now. The Phillies are looking for 3B (Crede) , and yound pitcher who appears on course to become a stud (we have a couple) and prospect.
I like Crede and think he will do good things in major leagues, but Rolen is proven. True he has some back problems but most of them were related to the worst playing surface ever used in professional sports. Last year with the new turf, he had a lot less problems with his back. Grass would even be better then turf.

But to get him, we would probally out bid the Yankees.

Ok, I'm now thinking the chances of Rolen coming in are slim to nill. I guess I'm the expert on this subject since I live out around Philly. Rolen will not play for the Phillies because of Ed Wade. Rolen is convinced (and probably correct) that this team just isn't committed to winning. The Phillies are a LOT like the ChiSox. A big market team who acts like a small one. Rolen was offered a contract over 100 mil (I forget how many years), but he shot it down because he will not play for a team that makes no effort to put a winning group on the field. Coming to Chicago isn't going to solve his problems.

Paulwny
11-21-2001, 09:38 AM

Rolen was offered a contract over 100 mil (I forget how many years), but he shot it down because he will not play for a team that makes no effort to put a winning group on the field. Coming to Chicago isn't going to solve his problems.

You're right, once a team gets this type of reputation, all thinks being equal, a fa will go with a club that's committed to winning. The sox have this rep.

Dadawg_77
11-21-2001, 10:01 AM

Ok, I'm now thinking the chances of Rolen coming in are slim to nill. I guess I'm the expert on this subject since I live out around Philly. Rolen will not play for the Phillies because of Ed Wade. Rolen is convinced (and probably correct) that this team just isn't committed to winning. The Phillies are a LOT like the ChiSox. A big market team who acts like a small one. Rolen was offered a contract over 100 mil (I forget how many years), but he shot it down because he will not play for a team that makes no effort to put a winning group on the field. Coming to Chicago isn't going to solve his problems.

I saw that but also read that Rolen would be open to playing with the Cubs. Now, if he wanted to come to the great city of Chicago the Sox are more committed to winning then the Cubs.