PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal picks 5 Sox for Allstar Game

rowand33
06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
I know, I know "Who cares," but I think this is the most fair allstar nominations I've seen (and it's packed full o' sox :D: )

seems to be more of a perfect world selection, but I thought it was cool:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=tryandcatchtheseallstars&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Sox included are: AJ, Konerko, Pods, Gar, Buehrle

hold2dibber
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
I had been thinking lately that AJ might deserve a nod. In reality, I think Hermanson has a better chance than any of the position players.

ShoelessJoeS
06-28-2005, 06:55 PM
i still stand by my pick and say that politte should be there to join the other 3 white sox pitchers who deserve to go and most likely will

maurice
06-28-2005, 06:56 PM
IMHO Garland, Buerhle, and Hermanson are more likely selections than any of the position players. I think that Podsednik should be a serious candidate, but MLB probably will favor power over speed.

munchman33
06-28-2005, 09:00 PM
IMHO Garland, Buerhle, and Hermanson are more likely selections than any of the position players. I think that Podsednik should be a serious candidate, but MLB probably will favor power over speed.

I think that
1. Pods will make a good story for the announcers to talk about as his style is not the norm.
2. The players are likely to vote in Pods because he's been such a menace to their teams.

chaerulez
06-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Rosenthal is kidding himself if he doesn't think Francona is not going to take Clement.

delben91
06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
I stand by my prediction that Buehrle and Garland make it and no one else. And honestly, I'd not be at all surprised to see only one of them make the team, though since Torre isn't picking, there's a better chance to see both guys making the squad.

rwcescato
06-29-2005, 12:27 AM
i still stand by my pick and say that politte should be there to join the other 3 white sox pitchers who deserve to go and most likely will

I still say there will only be 1 player. It will be either Beurhle or Garland. I hope its Mark. He deserves to start. I hope nobody is disappointed if only 1 player makes it. Just remember the media is all about the Red Sox and Yankees. If we win the pennant then maybe we might be considered for more. Or we have to vote them in. We just don't have the fan support.
Rich

soxfanreggie
06-29-2005, 12:47 AM
RW, you're crazy if it's only 1 player. Buehrle and Garland are about 95% locks right now. One of them should start-MB!!!!!!

guillen4life13
06-29-2005, 01:08 AM
I thought that Hermie and Politte are deserving of nods.

Huisj
06-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Maybe it would be good if the Sox only had 1 person there. It could piss guys off enough maybe that they'll play even better and focus on proving that the team can win all season, and it could be good. Didn't Thomas have a pretty huge second half in 2000 after not making the team? Maybe some guys can follow that example.

BNLSox
06-29-2005, 02:42 AM
I have to agree. I mean honestly half the team SHOULD be there, but thats just not how its going to be. We're better off with just a few guys there. We don't need all star nods to validate this teams talent, accomplishments, and chemistry. We need post season victories for that. And with post season victories come all star nods the following year (especially if its ozzie doing the selecting).

Mr. White Sox
06-29-2005, 04:22 AM
I can't wait for the "extra man" poll to come up on mlb.com:

Tadahito Iguchi, CWS
Scott Podsednik, CWS
Rafael Palmeiro, BAL
Garret Anderson, LAA
Jorge Posada, NYY

:D:

this is assuming PK makes the team; if he doesn't, sub PK in there for Iguchi/Pods.

kevingrt
06-29-2005, 09:55 AM
I thought that Hermie and Politte are deserving of nods.

Yeah, seriously. I would think Hermy or Polittle would be more deserving of bids instead of AJ Piersynski. Don't get me wrong I love AJ P, but I believe there are three better catchers in the AL besides him. And PK at first is a little suspect, but Pods, Garland, and Mark definately deserve nods. No doubt about it.

mjharrison72
06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
I've always thought it was a shame Konerko hasn't been in the All-Star game, particularly (was it last year?) when he was among the league leaders in homers and didn't get to participate in the HR derby. Now you can say what you want about baseball's version of the slam-dunk contest, but this is a nationally televised event that makes fans out of a lot of people... think about Tejada last year, who was anything but off the map before the all-star break, but whose performance in the HR derby, I believe, propelled him to real star status.

Now last year, I wasn't around these boards, but we were slighted massively in terms of the Sox personnel at the game. Loaiza? That's it? I don't expect anything different this year, except that we ARE on peoples' radar now, and we SHOULDN'T just be sending the obligatory single representative to the game.

There is no question Konerko in particular deserves to be an all-star, but the new focus on "OPS," coupled with the popularity of David Ortiz and the great play of Teixiera (sp?) will all but guarantee he sits another one out. He's two off the league lead in homers (18), 10th in the league in RBI (52) and 4th in the league in BB (41).

The truth is, the only players I hear legitimate discussion about being all-stars are pitchers this year: Garland, Buehrle, Hermanson and now Politte. I think between Konerko and Podsednik, someone from the offense deserves to go. An argument could be made for Iguchi as well, if for no other reason than his numbers are good for a second baseman. Either way, it's going to look strange to people if they don't see more than one or two representatives from the best team in the majors, but I don't really expect anyone to be surprised when that's exactly what happens. It's just like Rodney D. said.
[/rant]

LauraJ14
06-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I stand by my prediction that Buehrle and Garland make it and no one else. And honestly, I'd not be at all surprised to see only one of them make the team, though since Torre isn't picking, there's a better chance to see both guys making the squad.

There was a change made, the players and managers get to vote for the pitchers and the reserves so the Sox better be voting for their own players to make the team.

maurice
06-29-2005, 12:30 PM
I've always thought it was a shame Konerko hasn't been in the All-Star game

He hasn't? What about 2002?

I don't see how he makes it this year. Aside from HR (7th in the league, 2 slots ahead of Dye), his numbers aren't very impressive (.248 AVE, .489 SLG, 10 2B). Even his fairly high RBI total puts him behind Ortiz, Teixeira, and Sexton and only a few slots ahead of the Sox backup DH.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Wheather I deserve IT OR NOT, I am taking FULL CREDIT. I have been emailing KenR often and stating the Sox case for everything this year, ever since his columm forgot we obtained Jermaine Dye. He has responded to me a couple of times. Pretty classy overall and I'm stunned he hasn't blocked my address yet! He copt to the Dye error right away and he certainly didn't have to mention his Clement prediction in this article. That kind of honesty is unheard of with national writers. The Baseball Tonight crew won't remind the world of their brainless predictions come October. Oh dang.....I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back........................

Lip Man 1
06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Ken is a freind of mine and I always considered him a stand up guy and a good baseball reporter. I am not surprised by his admitting he made a mistake to you. He holds himself accountable.

Lip

Iwritecode
06-29-2005, 01:20 PM
I've always thought it was a shame Konerko hasn't been in the All-Star game, particularly (was it last year?) when he was among the league leaders in homers and didn't get to participate in the HR derby. Now you can say what you want about baseball's version of the slam-dunk contest, but this is a nationally televised event that makes fans out of a lot of people... think about Tejada last year, who was anything but off the map before the all-star break, but whose performance in the HR derby, I believe, propelled him to real star status.

IIRC, PK blamed (at least partially) the homerun derby for the horrible slump he went into the second half of 2003.

He said it messed up his swing and he was trying to hit more homeruns all the time.

Hangar18
06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Thats a lot of SOX to be in the AS game, but then again, remember how
many Cleveland Indians made it ...... and they werent even in 1st Place?
If theres a time for 5 White Sox to be on the roster, now should be it.
Im sick of the rosters loaded with Yankees ......

RKMeibalane
06-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Maybe it would be good if the Sox only had 1 person there. It could piss guys off enough maybe that they'll play even better and focus on proving that the team can win all season, and it could be good. Didn't Thomas have a pretty huge second half in 2000 after not making the team? Maybe some guys can follow that example.

Yes, he did, both in 2000 and 2003.

Foulke You
06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I can't wait for the "extra man" poll to come up on mlb.com:

Tadahito Iguchi, CWS
Scott Podsednik, CWS
Rafael Palmeiro, BAL
Garret Anderson, LAA
Jorge Posada, NYY

:D:

this is assuming PK makes the team; if he doesn't, sub PK in there for Iguchi/Pods.
LOL, yeah, that is probably going to be it. I remember the Konerko/Thomas farce that split the vote of some Sox fans on the "32nd Man" vote. Your prediction is probably valid, although they usually make sure both a Boston AND a Yankee player are on the list to all but ensure another player from those two teams making it.

Foulke You
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Thats a lot of SOX to be in the AS game, but then again, remember how
many Cleveland Indians made it ...... and they werent even in 1st Place?
If theres a time for 5 White Sox to be on the roster, now should be it.
Im sick of the rosters loaded with Yankees ......
I agree Hangar, but I have a feeling we'll only get two players. Garland and Buehrle. We probably have an outside shot to get 3 if Iguchi or Konerko is on the 32nd man ballot.

Steakpita
06-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Garland and Buehrle are lead pipe locks to make it.

One of our bullpen guys will be there, 95% (either Politte or Hermy).

Podsednik, PK, and Tad all have about 50/50 chances, i would think... it would be great to see AJ get some lovin' but it probably won't happen.

how bout Big Frank in the HR Derby?

34 Inch Stick
06-30-2005, 11:51 AM
With a win today, I think you have to throw Garcia into the mix of possible players. He seems to get lost in the shuffle, but he has had some dominating stretches this year.

It would be great to see the pitching staff get it's due. Three starters and a reliever would be nice.