PDA

View Full Version : The Yankees and Randy Johnson

Madvora
06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Would this be nuts to think about the Yankees giving up Randy Johnson?
Right now nobody knows if the Yankees are buying or selling and if Steinbrenner is about to blow up and scrap the team.
If he was, it would make sense that Randy Johnson would be a person they would want to get rid of. I'm surprised that there hasn't even been a word about him being moved at all.
Maybe Randy still has his no trade clause with the Yankees?

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Well Johnson will NOT let POSADA catch him and posada is one of the leaders on teh team. so I wouldent be surprised if he gets traded, the fans DON'T liek him either.

balke
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
The salaries the yankees have dished out will make it near impossible for them to move players. They bought a bunch of 10 mil+ dinosaurs that are in the twilight of their careers. They are going to have to eat salary, and take less in return for the majority of players they go after. Sucks to be them.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2005, 01:09 PM
The salaries the yankees have dished out will make it near impossible for them to move players. They bought a bunch of 10 mil+ dinosaurs that are in the twilight of their careers. They are going to have to eat salary, and take less in return for the majority of players they go after. Sucks to be them.No way RJ goes anywhere. But it sounds like they're dangling Gary Sheffield. He is probably the only one remotely tradable among their veterans.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
The salaries the yankees have dished out will make it near impossible for them to move players. They bought a bunch of 10 mil+ dinosaurs that are in the twilight of their careers. They are going to have to eat salary, and take less in return for the majority of players they go after. Sucks to be them.
No! John Kruk said Johnson would win 30 this year. You are wrong!

balke
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
No! John Kruk said Johnson would win 30 this year. You are wrong!

COREY PATTERSON WILL GO 40/40 THIS YEAR! :redneck

santo=dorf
06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/Randysox2.JPG

Madvora
06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
No way RJ goes anywhere. But it sounds like they're dangling Gary Sheffield. He is probably the only one remotely tradable among their veterans.
I'm actually stunned that I haven't even heard his name come up even in the wildest rumor, especially since he was mentioned every 5 minutes last year.
You would think someone could get him for a hell of a deal if Steinbrenner blows his top. I wouldn't mind renting that for 3 months.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm actually stunned that I haven't even heard his name come up even in the wildest rumor, especially since he was mentioned every 5 minutes last year.
You would think someone could get him for a hell of a deal if Steinbrenner blows his top. I wouldn't mind renting that for 3 months.Steve Phillips was talking about Sheffield this morning. He speculated that the Cubs (surprise!) might be interested.:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's been a lifelong dream of Gary Sheffield to play for the Cubs.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/Randysox2.JPG

You can have him. No thanks.

MUScholar21
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
You can have him. No thanks.

I absolutely agree. Established American League pitchers have traditionally thrived after moving to the National Leage (see: Clemens, Roger) but I can't think of any good examples of moving from the National League to the American League (the closest I can think of is Curt Schilling, and no one considered him nearly as dominant last year until the Yankees-Red Sox ALCS). Another good example is Kip Wells-couldn't hack it in the AL, but is a top pitcher in the NL.

The sun is setting on Johnson's career, and we are not getting a guy who is going to throw another perfect game. We're getting a 4+ ERA with a salary that is equal to our entire payroll, who is a horrible clubhouse guy and has no reason to play but money.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
randy johnson?

can we go after alan jackson instead?

Tekijawa
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
You would think someone could get him for a hell of a deal if Steinbrenner blows his top. I wouldn't mind renting that for 3 months.

Thought he signed a big extension when he signed with the yanks. I think he'd be "rented" for somewhere in the 27 month range if memory serves me correct!

ode to veeck
06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Another good example is Kip Wells-couldn't hack it in the AL, but is a top pitcher in the NL.

Totally disagree on Kip, who had shown a lot of potential (how 'bout the gem he pitched the same day as Prior's initial Scrubs debut, among others). He was another Judy Garland waiting to bloom and the worst part of the whole Ritchie trade,

MUScholar21
06-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Totally disagree on Kip, who had shown a lot of potential (how 'bout the gem he pitched the same day as Prior's initial Scrubs debut, among others). He was another Judy Garland waiting to bloom and the worst part of the whole Ritchie trade,

That is a matter of perspective-did he bloom because of the move to the NL, or someone who was destined to improve. A moot point right now, but let's say I grant you that one. I still think my basic premise holds-pitchers who move from the AL to the Senior Circuit thrive, while pitchers who make the opposite move are not nearly as remarkable.

Why this is is open for debate, but there is no reason that Roger Clemens should be markedly improved on a worse team than arguably any of his AL teams while Randy Johnson goes in the crapper with a team that I think we all agree has about 20 times the talent his Diamondback team last year.

Madvora
06-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Thought he signed a big extension when he signed with the yanks. I think he'd be "rented" for somewhere in the 27 month range if memory serves me correct!
Yeah, that's right. Forget it then. I wouldn't trust him after this year, but I think he could help this year a lot.
Well, at least that makes sense why I haven't heard any rumors about him.