PDA

View Full Version : White Sox History - Opening Day Lineups

Madvora
06-28-2005, 12:02 PM
This is something really cool that I just discovered on the official Sox site. They list the opening day lineups from every year in Sox history.

Some of these are pretty funny to look at.
One strange thing I noticed was our DH in 1997 listed as Harold Reynolds. What's that all about? I looked up Reynolds and his career ended in 1994.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/history/opening_day_lineups.jsp?content=4

Jurr
06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
This is something really cool that I just discovered on the official Sox site. They list the opening day lineups from every year in Sox history.

Some of these are pretty funny to look at.
One strange thing I noticed was our DH in 1997 listed as Harold Reynolds. What's that all about? I looked up Reynolds and his career ended in 1994.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/history/opening_day_lineups.jsp?content=4
The Sox media guide lists them, as well. For 1997, they have:
Phillips RF, Martinez CF, Thomas 1B, Belle LF, Baines DH, Snopek 3B, Durham 2B, Karko C, Guillen SS, Navarro (gag) P

Madvora
06-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Navarro (gag) P

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

dranny32
06-28-2005, 12:08 PM
How about good ol' JB(James Baldwin)

Huisj
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
That's really pretty pathetic to get Baines' name screwed up on the sox own website. sheesh

2000 says Paul Sirotka for SP? Is that like his real name, and he just goes by Mike, or are they being dumb again here too?

Check out 2001--Jose Valentin in CF. I had completely forgotten about the outfield part of his defensive swingman experiment.

1998 has Thomas and Norton listed as playing 1B.

1989 just has "Guillen" leading off, but no Ozzie. I guess that at that point in his career he had reached the immortal one-name status.

In 1986, Fisk started in LF.

And the funniest fact maybe is that in 1988, KW started at 3B.

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Seeing Norton on previous opening day rosters makes me long for him to get called up this year. Maybe he can solve our (supposed) 3rd base woes.

Madvora
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
That's really pretty pathetic to get Baines' name screwed up on the sox own website. sheesh

I feel kind of pathetic for not piecing together Harold Reynolds and Harold Baines. I should have been able to figure out who they meant.
Anyway, MLB took over the team websites about 4 years ago and ever since that, there have been tons of inaccuracies.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Seeing Norton on previous opening day rosters makes me long for him to get called up this year. Maybe he can solve our (supposed) 3rd base woes.

:tealpolice:

:tealtutor:
No way do I want Norton starting at 3B over Crede.

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty serious. I miss Greg Norton and I wish he was back up with the team. No teal needed. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's offically bad.

doublem23
06-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty serious. I miss Greg Norton and I wish he was back up with the team. No teal needed. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's offically bad.

You're right. The fact that he sucks means he's officially bad.

Greg Norton? :rolleyes:

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Well he is batting .301(2nd best on the team not counting Ross who's there on Assignment) with a .486 slugging percentage(3rd w/o Ross) and .376(2nd w/o Ross) on-base percentage on the stuggling Kinghts. So in fact he really doesn't suck. I'm not saying he's better than Crede. In fact I think Crede is doing just fine, with his clutch hitting a great D.

Huisj
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Well he is batting .301(2nd best on the team not counting Ross who's there on Assignment) with a .486 slugging percentage(3rd w/o Ross) and .376(2nd w/o Ross) on-base percentage on the stuggling Kinghts. So in fact he really doesn't suck. I'm not saying he's better than Crede. In fact I think Crede is doing just fine, with his clutch hitting a great D.

Don't you remember Norton's crazy side-arm slinging throws from third when he made a ton of errors over there one year? He would field a grounder, and then he'd load up to throw by flailing his elbow straight up in the air behind his head while his hand stayed about in his armpit, and then he'd uncork and let it fly . . . and sometimes it really flew, like a sliced 2-iron.

However, his bat would be nice, especially in Detroit. He used to just murder the Tigers, but I guess that was back in Tiger Stadium.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Who is Paul Sirotka??

Ray Durham
Jose Valentin
Frank Thomas
Magglio Ordoņez
Paul Konerko
Chris Singleton
Carlos Lee
Craig Wilson
Mark Johnson
Paul Sirotka

dranny32
06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm sure it's a mistake and they mean Mike

MUScholar21
06-28-2005, 02:20 PM

:hawk "NAW-TON!"

jdm2662
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Bo Jackson was with the Angles in '94... It takes talent to play for two teams...
________
Easy vape vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

maurice
06-28-2005, 04:16 PM
So in fact he really doesn't suck.

No, the facts show that he doesn't suck offensively at AAA . . . which is where he will stay. He still can't field worth a damn.

I suppose we should call up Toca and Brown as well.

TomBradley72
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
No, the facts show that he doesn't suck offensively at AAA . . . which is where he will stay. He still can't field worth a damn.

I suppose we should call up Toca and Brown as well.

Norton's a 25th man AT BEST....mediocre defense...never hit in the clutch...the "Mike Colbern" of Sox infielders.

Madvora
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Norton's a 25th man AT BEST....mediocre defense...never hit in the clutch...the "Mike Colbern" of Sox infielders.
Hit did have a couple of clutch hits didn't he? I think that's the only reason anyone remembers who he was. He would have one amazing diving stop or one amazing hit every two or three months.

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Don't you remember Norton's crazy side-arm slinging throws from third when he made a ton of errors over there one year? He would field a grounder, and then he'd load up to throw by flailing his elbow straight up in the air behind his head while his hand stayed about in his armpit, and then he'd uncork and let it fly . . . and sometimes it really flew, like a sliced 2-iron.

However, his bat would be nice, especially in Detroit. He used to just murder the Tigers, but I guess that was back in Tiger Stadium.
Ugh, you just gave me a nasty flashback to all those Norton errors. God was he AWFUL at 3b. As far as offense goes, he was average as a lefty and HORRIBLE as a right hander. He also struck out a lot. Joe Crede is three times the player as Norton. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't remember Norton clearly enough and is just being nostalgic.

MIgrenade
06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, the only way you can stop ignorant comments about Greg Norton is by ignoring it.

As I looked at 1994 and 2004, those are stout lineups.
And where is Mike Devereaux? Not that it really matters.

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 05:52 PM
You guys need to settle down. Your acting like me saying Greg Norton gave you Crabs or something. So I like him a little bit. If it's killing you guys inside so much just ask a moderator to delete it. Sorry for the setback in your life.