PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Farmerisms"

EastCoastSoxFan
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
As I was reading through the "Hawkisms", quite a few Farmio gems immediately sprang to mind, such as "He was out from here to <obscure geographical reference>" whenever someone gets thrown out on the bases by a relatively wide margin...

whitesoxwilkes
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Keep the line moving!

tschneid83
06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
not sure who said it but it was farmer or rooney

"he did not swing hard enough to break glass"

of course you would have to listen to the way he used it to get the full effect.

eriqjaffe
06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I always enjoy hearing Rooney & Farmer call a "wIIIIIIIld pitch".

Hangar18
06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
"Hes not long for this game"

GoGoOzzie
06-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Once Rooney was discussing Farmer's ability to sleep on the plane from take off until landing, and then how quickly he gets ready to get off of the plane. Farmer replied with, "Well, you know--I'm Eddie and I'm ready". The spontaneity of it really made me laugh.

Jurr
06-28-2005, 09:53 AM
My favorite is when he tells the score of the Twins game.

"Currently the Twins trail 5-3 in the top of the eighth. You know what the good thing about that is, right? It being the top of the eighth, the Twins can't score."

Jurr
06-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh. Also, I love his new sun awareness bit. Every time they talk about MLB's program about sun awareness, Farmer talks about his sunblock.

"Oh yeah. I use it every day. It's the kind that has a tanner built in. I talked to my dermatologist, and there it was."

For some reason, I get a kick out of that. He says it every game, and I can just imagine Farmio gobbing tanning sunblock all over his face and arms, panicking if he missed a spot.

MrRoboto83
06-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Lets not forget last year about how he finds not wearing socks very cool

RKMeibalane
06-28-2005, 10:00 AM
:farmer

"And Frank picks up his second hit of the day. Thomas knows he needs to have a good Spring if he wants to make this team."

This isn't really a "Farmerism," but it's memorable because how ridiculous it sounds.

eriqjaffe
06-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Farmer's also always good for reminding me of the Catholic holiday schedule...especially during Holy Week.

bluestar
06-28-2005, 10:45 AM
He uses "a bloop and a blast" a lot. When it is really funny is when he says something like, "a bloop, a blast and a slam, and they are right back in it" when either team is down by six runs or more.

I have also learned to enjoy his stock tangents. For example, when he talks about The Three Stooges, his patriotism, organ donation, certain films (especially Field of Dreams), and when he disrespects Steve Phillips or Buck Showalter. I used to find these things annoying by varying degrees, but now there is something about their predictability that makes them endearing.

Blueprint1
06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I think ive herd the story about how Farmer got his first car 10,000 times. Its still a good story though.

Brian26
06-28-2005, 04:48 PM

"One here gets you two."

:rooney

"Huh?"

"What I mean when I say 'one here gets you two' is that one out here really is, in effect, getting two outs."

:rooney

"I still don't follow, Ed."

EdHerman12
06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Last week Edward is giving scores from around the league. He says, "The Indians have zero....Boston has the same number of the inning that they're in............(Ok we're all waiting for the damned number Ed).....6..........6-0 Red Sox in the 6th....:o: .....now I know how the Duck on the Aflack commercial feels in the one with Yogi Berra!

NonetheLoaiza
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I just like when they say things as they get them from the official scorer when it's an obvious scoring move like, "That's an error on the pitcher, Ed." "Oh is it? Well thank you."

Plus, I like when Rooney does his Scully imitation when announcing the Dooodgers...

gosox83
06-28-2005, 11:52 PM
This is a true story and exactly how it happened..

When I was younger (Farmer's first year announcing) I of course did not like him because I was so used to Wayne Hagin. sp? Hagen.... Anyway,, I remember thinking "Who is this guy" this stinks they got rid of Wayne Hagen. A little while into the ball game Ed Farmer goes, "Good news on the northside folks,,,cubs won............................................... ......................................Cardinals 5 and that is a final" At first when he said it I was about to smash my radio, but then when it sank in that they had lost five to ONE.....I knew that I would like Farmer as an announcer no matter what.

GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!

mdep524
06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
I love how Farmer and Rooney finish each other's sentences, or sometimes trade off in the middle of a sentence. For example, Farmer's aversion to the word "disseminated":

Farmer: The accounts of this ball game cannot be
Rooney: disseminated
Farmer: without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball...

Chez
06-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Let's not forget how Farmio insists on giving us a California geography lesson everytime someone from that state steps to the plate or the mound (e.g. "here's [insert name]. I saw [insert name] play at San Miguel High School in Pomona. Pomona is about 4 miles south of the San Bernadino Expressway around 25 or 30 minutes from Granada Hills where Jon Garland is from.")

Realist
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
***** @ this entire thread. :rolling:

The man should be in a straight jacket. God I love him.

Rooney and Farmer are missing their calling. They could be the next Martin and Lewis or Abbott and Costello.

SOXPHILE
06-29-2005, 09:16 AM
On the Score, Bernstein actually does a pretty funny imitation. He says this is what the broadcast would be if the White Sox win the World Series:

"2 outs in the 9th here folks. Sox lead 6-1. If they get this guy out, they're World Champs. Swing, and here's a ground ball to Crede. Picks it up, over to Konerko, and that's it. Game over. The White Sox are World Champions. But that's what you wanna do. When you go into spring training, you go with winning the Series as your goal, and that's what the Sox have done. John & I will be right back with the wrap up."

bluestar
06-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Farmer used one I hadn't heard during last night's broadcast:

John: "A called strike on a pitch that looked way outside..."
John: "That's a big plate tonight, Ed."
Ed: "That plate's so big, if it was filled with food, three people couldn't eat it all."

I love the geography lessons, too. Or when the Sox play in Southern California, we get to hear all about Farmer's exploits through the freeway system during the day prior to the game.

Church Turtle
06-29-2005, 09:47 AM
You don't know how hapy I am that the SOX will be on the score next year. I can't pick AM1000 up at all. So the only Farmerism I'm familiar with now is "ssssskeeiihhhashhashshassssssstiaaaaaaaaacccssssss ssssssssskt" etc.

dcb33
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
I love how he always manages to remind everyone that a walk is better than a homerun when the bases are loaded and there's a batter with power at the plate. "A walk here isn't a bad thing."

Other Rooney and Farmer topics of discussion I love:

Buck Showalter
The bridge out past the left field fence at TEP
How classy Boston Red Sox fans are for booing Carl Everett every time he bats at Fenway

Sad
06-29-2005, 10:10 AM
You don't know how hapy I am that the SOX will be on the score next year. I can't pick AM1000 up at all. So the only Farmerism I'm familiar with now is "ssssskeeiihhhashhashshassssssstiaaaaaaaaacccssssss ssssssssskt" etc.

:roflmao: :rolling:
been there... did that...

Cubbiesuck13
06-29-2005, 10:35 AM
This is a great thread. I like his tangents but sometimes he goes four plus innings with no baseball and it is hard to take. I was driving from Alabama to Virginia listening on XM, unfortunately Buerhle was pitching so I couldn't enjoy a long ball game during a 12 hour drive. To make matters worse, Farmer's mentor, the head caddy at a Chicago golf course just passed away and he was went into his life story. All in all I love the SOX radio team and hope they stay for a long time. At least untill I can move back to Chicago and go to the games.

wdelaney72
06-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Farmer used one I hadn't heard during last night's broadcast:

John: "A called strike on a pitch that looked way outside..."
John: "That's a big plate tonight, Ed."
Ed: "That plate's so big, if it was filled with food, three people couldn't eat it all."

I love the geography lessons, too. Or when the Sox play in Southern California, we get to hear all about Farmer's exploits through the freeway system during the day prior to the game.

I also enjoyed that one.

SOXSINCE'70
06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
"Get 'em over and get 'em in".
- used when a lead off hitter reaches base.I call it Uncle Eddie's
baseball etiquette rule #1.:roflmao: :roflmao:

ja1022
06-29-2005, 10:47 AM
"This one is tagged and bagged-it's gonna go. Home run!"

Clarkdog
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Actually, heard one I enjoyed from last night's broadcast against the Tigers:

Farmio: "So that will close the book on (Chris) Spurling. He's not just a member of the club, he's the President."

- A funny and obscure reference to the infamous Sy Spruling, member and President of the Hair Club for Men

bluestar
06-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Actually, heard one I enjoyed from last night's broadcast against the Tigers:

Farmio: "So that will close the book on (Chris) Spurling. He's not just a member of the club, he's the President."

- A funny and obscure reference to the infamous Sy Spruling, member and President of the Hair Club for Men

That was a great one. I love his obscure references.

I also like how Farmio is always calling balks on the opposing pitchers.

"I believe that was a balk, but it wasn't called."

skottyj242
06-29-2005, 01:38 PM
I like when they wonder aloud if Buck is wearing his jacket in the Texas heat.