PDA

View Full Version : Cubs beat SOX twice-Going to playoffs

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Seems that every paper is calling for the Flubs to make the playoffs now that Mark Prior was able to pitch well against the best team in baseball. Flub-love is at a season high and the hopes are as high as their bullpen's ERA. Can't wait untill the devastating let down as they continue to play .500 ball (if they are lucky) the rest of the season. I think it will be a good trade off at the end of the season: Split the series with the Idiots on the north side vs Seeing their hopes crash as they don't make the playoffs.

Dan H
06-28-2005, 07:40 AM
I agree that Prior and Wood returning helps the Cubs. But just because the Cubs cooled off the Sox somewhat doesn't mean they are going anywhere. First Prior and Wood have to prove they can stay healthy. Secondly, there is that Cub bulllpen.

Cub fans always think they are going to the World Series any time they win two in a row. It is what makes them Cub fans. I agree with Hal Vickery that going to the Cubs-Sox games at US Cellular isn't worth it. Being exposed to this idoicy is not something I want to pay to do. The Sox-Cubs rivarly is wearing thin. As I have said in other posts: Want bragging rights? Win the World Series and settle for nothing less. Let the Cub fans have their fantasies.

chisoxfan23
06-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Do they really think Mark Prior will make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt again? I give him 3 more starts before he's back on the DL for something with his arm or something. I've never seen anyone get hurt as much as he does.

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Do they really think Mark Prior will make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt again? I give him 3 more starts before he's back on the DL for something with his arm or something. I've never seen anyone get hurt as much as he does.

ESPN was bragging how he is 4-0 after coming off the DL. 4 stints on the DL and his first full season was 2003 is the bigger story. Getting hit in the elbow was a freak injury and he is lucky he can still pitch. He is what you call injury prone and he is going to get hurt again unless he changes his mechanics

daveeym
06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Dude what's wrong with the Sox, this last series show they have no heart and don't have the killer instinct to win more than 8 games straight. I mean Ozzie throws out crap line ups for every attempt at a 9 game win streak. No heart man.

Cubs have two tough series coming up where they may fall back below .500 when its all said and done. The medias trying to hype the WC but that can all be moot by the end of this week.

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Dude what's wrong with the Sox, this last series show they have no heart and don't have the killer instinct to win more than 8 games straight. I mean Ozzie throws out crap line ups for every attempt at a 9 game win streak. No heart man.

Cubs have two tough series coming up where they may fall back below .500 when its all said and done. The medias trying to hype the WC but that can all be moot by the end of this week.

Exactly! I know I am not the only one who is going to enjoy it as much as a mass murderer enjoys hunting his prey and tasting the blood.

Hitmen77
06-28-2005, 10:38 AM
The Cubs record would only be good enough for FOURTH place in the AL Central. And Detroit would only be 2 games behind them in 5th place.

mjharrison72
06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Let them go ahead and think they are going to make the playoffs. A conversation with a cubs fan Friday night was telling: "Oh, they're only X games out of the wild card race." Only a loser would be talking wild card before playing 17 games against the division leader.

You're either going to make a play for the division lead, or go 6-11 against the Cards and be out of both races.

ilsox7
06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Exactly! I know I am not the only one who is going to enjoy it as much as a mass murderer enjoys hunting his prey and tasting the blood.

Dude, bad analogy.

daveeym
06-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Dude, bad analogy."and when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor..."

"Let it be, he's on a roll"

I think someone forogt their rittalin the last few days.

SOXPHILE
06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm not really sure how getting Carrie Woods back helps the Cubs. What was his record before going back on the DL ? At this point in his career, I'd have to say he is maybe a slightly above average pitcher. He is very injury prone, and likely to throw 80 pitches in the first 3-4 innings, hitting 1 or 2 batters, and giving up 3-4 runs. Oh, wait, he's a future Hall of Famer. In fact, they're building a seperate wing for him right now, and he will be the first player inducted while still playing.

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Dude, bad analogy.

Was that a little much? It was meant that way.

I don't know the WSI color for over the top.

balke
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
It really depends what the Cubs do from here on out I think. If Corey is going to bunt himself on, and make himself a threat out of the leadoff spot, and if they move Walker into the #2 spot, or if they trade for a good leadoff man, there could be a lot more production out of the top of the order.

With the call-ups they brought in, they found a better bullpen, and can weed out Wellemeyer and Wuertz. Maybe Wood should go in the bullpen like they talked about, or they should really try to trade him for a leadoff bat or SS. I don't think people should be calling for playoffs yet for the Cubs, but they have found some good talent via that trade, and from some call-ups. They don't look as bad as they did a couple weeks ago. August and September are approaching though, so they better get a lead while they can in the wild card, before they start choking.

PatK
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Cubs get Wood and Prior back, but Zambrano has given up 18 runs in his last 13 innings. Sergio Mitre has gotten hammered his last two starts.

Wonder why there aren't any articles mentioning their starters ballooning ERA's, much like the ones that went on before the Sox ripped out 8 straight wins.