PDA

View Full Version : Teams that it is okay for a White Sox fan to pull for...

lostletters
06-28-2005, 02:39 AM
I would say the Florida Marlins and St. Louis are usually the NL teams I pull for, largely because both teams have some connection to the White Sox. Mostly the Cardinals though, largely because of my friends from St. Louis and childhood memories.

AL...well differant story, since we have have to play most of those teams on a regular basis.

I have always been a cards fan as far as my favorite NL team for some time now. Largely because of Ozzie Smith. But there is also the fact when I was living down in Peoria I had a good deal of friends who were Cards fans. Quite a few of my classmates at Bradley were from St. Louis.

This year however I have been keeping my optimism for the Cards down, since there is a chance that we will see them in the WS.

So what teams do you pull for other then the white sox?

We all have teams that we cheer for outside of the White Sox, so what are they?

MUsoxfan
06-28-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm a pretty big Brewers fan. Otherwise I pull for the Marlins for sentimental reasons and most of the underdog teams.

Sox of White
06-28-2005, 03:02 AM
I also like to root for the underdogs, such as the Royals, Rockies, and Devil Rays. And I have recently become a Cardinals fan too (like since last year). I met a guy at IIT (across from Comiskey for those who do not know) who is from Saint Louis. I have gone to several White Sox games with him, and turned him into a Sox fan of some sort. The Cardinals are his team, but the White Sox are his "American League Team." Similarly, I started rooting with him for the Cards. I even just went to Saint Louis to visit him and went to a Pirates/Cardinals game. I think it is alright to have a second team to root for, especially if they are in a different league, and as long as you know where your true allegiance lies... with the White Sox.

MHOUSE
06-28-2005, 03:31 AM
I keep up with the Brew Crew and get up to Miller Park once a summer usually. Going to school in Missouri means a lot of Cardinal broadcasts, a lot of Cardinal fans, and unfortunately a lot of Joe Buck. I usually pull for the Marlins too because they beat the Yankees and the Red Sox too when they're not hurting us.

Baby Fisk
06-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Mets. Everyone loves the Mets, right? :smile:

...right? :unsure:

brewcrew/chisox
06-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I'll give you one guess :D:

jdm2662
06-28-2005, 09:06 AM
I usually only care about my teams and don't care about anyone else. However, I was at all three games in St. Louis when the Sox played there in 2001. They were great baseball fans, and they won my respect. Of course, they hate the Cubs, so that works, too.
________
Cumshot Massive (http://www.****tube.com/categories/496/massive/videos/1)

batmanZoSo
06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
I like the Marlins for one obvious reason. But I also like the players they have. Cabrera and Pierre are two of my favorites in the game to watch. And how could you not like Beckett?

beckett21
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I like the Marlins for one obvious reason. But I also like the players they have. Cabrera and Pierre are two of my favorites in the game to watch. And how could you not like Beckett?

Ditto. :cool:

ondafarm
06-28-2005, 11:51 AM
My sister and nephews live in suburban Milwaukee so I take them to Miller Park at least once a year. Their daddy is Russian so he knows nothing about baseball.

SOXPHILE
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Cardinals. Always have, since I was a little kid, and it has nothing to do with the Cubs rivalry. That's just an added bonus when they win or go to the World Series (4 times in the last 23 years). Every time they win, I'm happy, but if it also puts the Cubs in a deeper hole, well.....:gulp:

doublem23
06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Interesting. The longer I live in Peoria, the less and less I like the Cardinals.

dranny32
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
The marlins have always been my 2nd favorite team. Fun team to follow.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I too would say the Cardinals and Marlins. The Astros, Pirates and Brewers are OK too. Actually, pretty much any NL team other than the Cubs are OK. Well, maybe not the Mets.

havelj
06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Two teams other than the White Sox:

1. Cardinals
2. Whoever plays the Cubs

SOXPHILE
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
That bad huh ? Sorry to hear that. Are the fans there all the stereotypical white trash dopes that they make them out to be on the Score ? (Boers & Bernstein call them "Creepy Cardinal Nation").

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
1. Whatever team is playing the Twins.
2. Whatever team is playing the Cubs.

I have always been a big Astros and Rangers fan from my days down in Texas... but I am a sentimental Marlins fan too. Usually, any team with a dominant pitching staff will have my attention. I'm a big fan of the young gun frame thrower types... Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett, Roy Oswalt...

Uncle_Patrick
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
I like the Brewers, I wish they were good. The only thing I don't like about the Brewers are the "I hate everyone and everything from Illinois"-type Wisconsiners that make up some of their fan base. There three NL teams that I like, but I don't really follow any of them very closely. Was never a big Cardinals fan, though. Don't hate them, just don't care about them.

I usually pull for the AL in the World Series (unless one of the NL teams I like is playing) and the All Star game, but I honestly could not tell you one other AL team that I would root for on a regular basis. They are all competition to the White Sox to me.

PaulDrake
06-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Many many moons ago when I was a kid the Braves played in Milwaukee. I used to listen to some of their games on WTMJ and grew to like Spahn, Burdette, Matthews and of course the great Hank Aaron. They've always been my favorite NL team.

mike squires
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Interesting. The longer I live in Peoria, the less and less I like the Cardinals.

Wow, I find that surpsizing! I know it's the Cubs affiliate but with a minor league team in that town that was affiliated with the Cards I would think it would be easier to follow them a bit.

mike squires
06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
As a kid the Phillies and Expos were my favorite teams in the NL. As I got older I can't say I really paid much attention to them. Maybe I liked their uniforms or hats or something? If I had to pick another team it would be the Phillies.

ode to veeck
06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
The Appleton, WI Foxes, uh, uh, they don't exist anymore, OK nobody then

SOXSINCE'70
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Cardinals,Marlins,Phillies,Braves.Mostly N.L. teams.

I also root for anyone (and I mean anyone) playing the
Twinkies,'Toons,Tiggers and Royals.:D: :D:

And,of course,anyone playing "the greatest baseball team on earth".:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

buehrle4cy05
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Outside of the White Sox, I pull for:
1) The Nats (even when they were the Expos)
2) Brewers
3) Marlins
4) Pirates

Orta 4-6-3
06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
In the NL, I pulled for the Expos (I liked them from their inception; the caps, maybe?), Astros (can't really say why), and Pirates ( lived in Pittsburgh briefly). Can't root for the Nationals, but I still have a soft spot for the other two.

In the AL, the Red Sox used to be my second favorite team, but ESPN and "Red Sox Nation" killed that notion (sorry, Fenway). While I don't hate every American League team, I don't like anybody either --- THEY ARE THE COMPETITION!

batmanZoSo
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Ditto. :cool:

I was actually talking about YOU! :tongue:

skobabe8
06-28-2005, 05:43 PM
I used to have a couple of teams that I didnt mind too much, and then they play the White Sox and I hate them. But seriously, it seems like whenever I go to another teams park, I end up not really liking their fans too much. Does that make me a bad person? :cool:

popilius
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I've been watching/cheering for Atlanta for a number of years, because they've been on TBS.

:gulp:

doublem23
06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow, I find that surpsizing! I know it's the Cubs affiliate but with a minor league team in that town that was affiliated with the Cards I would think it would be easier to follow them a bit.

Maybe I just meet the wrong Cardinal fans at the bar, but they can be very arrogant and condescending about their "mighty" Cardinals when compared to all the inferior baseball that's played in Chicago. That, and they think the American League is the equivalent to the Great Lakes Regional Little League Baseball tournament.

I mean, I don't dislike the Cardinals, but my time down here has definitely not helped them grow on me. I think the best thing they have going for them is that I like to watch their games because they are such a good team.

FarWestChicago
06-28-2005, 11:46 PM
So what teams do you pull for other then the white sox?Unfortunately, the FOBB's think it's OK to root for the A's more than the Sox. :rolleyes:

:fobbgod:

That's right!! My FOBB's are fiercely loyal to me!!

thepaulbowski
06-29-2005, 07:04 AM
In order ...

1) Marlins-Wife is from South Florida
2) Brewers-great place to see a game and they seem to have the Cubs number
3) Astros-they have a REALLY great ballpark and I work with a bunch of guys from Texas, they follow the Sox & I follow the 'Stros to keep up with them.

mccoydp
06-29-2005, 07:51 AM
I didn't start watching baseball at all until late 1990, but I did watch the Atlanta Braves for the last 15 years. I haven't watched them this year because I just don't have the time. That is mostly due in no small part to me growing up in N.C., two hours from Atlanta. Everyone was a Braves fan. I did attend a few Braves games, one at the old Fulton County Stadium.
Since I'm in eastern Virginia now, I do catch the Baltimore Orioles on Comcast every now and then. My wife's uncle lives outside of Baltimore, and is an Orioles fan, so it gives me something to talk about with him.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 08:13 AM
B/C my girlfriend is from Pittsburgh and was pretty much raised at Three Rivers Stadium during the Doug Drabek/Van Slyke/Bobby Bo days, I've gotta root for the Pirates (pronounced PEE-ROT-EES) on occasion.

Jen is a big Sox fan, now even moreso than the Pirates, but we still root 'em on when we see 'em.

MeanFish
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Other teams I pull for
-Toronto. I've had great respect for them ever since the 1993 ALCS, and they've been nothing but a class organization for as long as I can remember.
-San Diego. They remind me a lot of our team. They're usually solid, but people rarely notice them because they're not usually seen atop the division standings. The Chargers are also my fav. football team.
-Colorado. I really just want them to be good again one day. That would be swell.
-Seattle. Ever since the 1990's when they had Griffey and we had Thomas, they were a team that commanded respect. They're still a class organization, even now that they're losing.

Teams I don't really pull for but kind of like:
-Milwaukee.
-Washington.
-Florida.
-Atlanta.

Baby Fisk
06-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately, the FOBB's think it's OK to root for the A's more than the Sox. :rolleyes:

:fobbgod:

That's right!! My FOBB's are fiercely loyal to me!!
Is there such a thing as "Haters Of Friends Of Billy Beane" (HOFOBB)? If so, West is their emperor. :cool:

(Are membership applications available somewhere on this site?)

Stroker Ace
06-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Mets. Everyone loves the Mets, right? :smile:

...right? :unsure:Hey, I like the Mets.

CHISOXFAN13
06-29-2005, 01:40 PM
If I had to pick a second favorite team, it would clearly be Milwaukee.

I like going to games there and love the fact that they've been pretty successful against Minnesota and the Cubs in recent seasons.

pinwheels3530
06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
The Cardinals!!

elrod
06-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Mets. I've liked them as long as I've like the White Sox (1982). And I hate the Cubs because of the Mets rivalry, not because of the White Sox.

Nats. DC is my hometown so I'm excited as all get out at a team in the Nation's Capital at last. And you have to love what they've done this year. Also, they play the Flubs next.

FarWestChicago
06-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Is there such a thing as "Haters Of Friends Of Billy Beane" (HOFOBB)? If so, West is their emperor. :cool:

(Are membership applications available somewhere on this site?)FOBB's would rather be "right" than see the Sox win. They are not Sox fans even though they believe they are.

samram
06-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Dodgers, woeful as they've been the last three weeks. DePodesta's moves are starting to look as bad as they did in the offseason.

TaylorStSox
06-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I root for...

Cardinals
Marlins
Pirates
DRays

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Teams that it is OK for SOx fans to pull for ... (obvious best answer) anyone playng the Flubs

Steakpita
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
NL : Brewers, Marlins, Cards (sort of), anyone in the visitors dugout at the Urinal.

AL: (aside from the obvious) Toronto, Seattle, Texas, Angels.

None serious, mostly just rooting interests against the other teams that aren't the Sox. They remain my first and only love. Other than Lindsay Lohan.

chisox
07-01-2005, 05:28 PM
honestly, i only really root for the sox...

i have lived in new york for the last couple years, typically i root for the mets, but when the yanks are playing an alc team i root for them... it poses an interesting moral dillema, but by rooting for a team playing against the indiands/royals/twinks/tigers i'm in essence rooting for the sox, right?

PAPChiSox729
07-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Besides rooting for the Sox, I like to pull for really bad teams, excluding the Cubs. It is awesome to see teams like the Royals, DRays, and Rockies beat up on teams that they really shouldn't be beating as long as it isn't the Sox. Also, I like the Astros and Cards for obvious reasons.

Cowhead418
07-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Besides rooting for the Sox, I like to pull for really bad teams, excluding the Cubs. It is awesome to see teams like the Royals, DRays, and Rockies beat up on teams that they really shouldn't be beating as long as it isn't the Sox. Also, I like the Astros and Cards for obvious reasons.
I'm with you. I generally like to see the D-Rays, Royals, Rockies win because of how bad they are. I'm also pulling for the Nationals to win the NL East and the Orioles to win the AL East because the National Media says they won't make the playoffs. I see their struggle as similar to ours.

The Racehorse
07-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Nobody... rooting for another team in the terms of expending emotional capital qualifies that person as a fair weather fan, but that's just me.

Dan H
07-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I am for any NL team that finishes ahead of the Cubs in the Wild Card race. The Cubs do not belong in the post season, even to go three and out. Not now. Not ever.

MarySwiss
07-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Okay, what happened? I think I inadvertently sent this post when it was only halfway written. Damn this new laptop! Where was I?

Oh yeah, I live in Arizona, so I root for the D'Backs, except of course when they play the Sox. (They didn't help us out a lot against Cleveland either.) But the 2001 WS was sweet, especially because it was against the Evil Empire. I actually had a Yankees fan (posing as a friend; people in AZ come from everywhere) in my house during the 7th game, and with the D'Backs down, I threatened to tie a rock around her neck and drown her in the pool. (What a hostess!)

Fortunately, I didn't have to!

This year, I have an Indians fan that I may have to repeat my threat against. We'll see!

White Sox Josh
07-02-2005, 05:57 PM
1. Braves(my second favorite team in baseball behind the Sox)
2. Angels(I've always liked them and I'm not sure why)
3. Cardinals
4. Whoever plays the Cubs
5. Whoever plays the Twins.

Go Go Everetts
07-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I pull for the Nationals because i think they have cool hats.

Cowch44
07-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I, for some reason, like to cheer for The Mariners(unless they're playing The Sox.) It's kinda weird since the first season I really got into The Sox they swept us in the playoffs.

chisoxmike
07-03-2005, 11:30 AM
There is no other baseball team I am a "fan" of. My heart and emotional involvment is all taken up by my first love... the White Sox, but I've always for some reason have wanted the Marlins to do well. Even before 2003 I watched them. They have good players, Caberia, Pierre, Beckett, Lowell, Delgado. I would like to see them in the playoffs again. There is no AL team that I really would pull for. Last season, I really wanted to see the Astros go all the way.

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
The Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATXBMX
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
The Twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dtroll:

easye726
07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Well I kinda like Washington, also root for whoever plays the yankees, I just do not like them.

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-05-2005, 01:50 AM
The Twins?

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 03:04 AM
1. Whomever the Flubs are playing.

2. Whomever the Twins are playing.

3. Whomever the Tribe is playing.

Numbers 2 and 3 can change places depending on the standings and when they play each other.

and.........................

4. Whomever eliminates the AL West team from the playoffs so the Sox won't have to face them on the road in the ALCS (will be number 1 after October 1st!).

Banix12
07-05-2005, 03:28 AM
There is only one other team I closely follow and that is the Brewers. I fell in love with going up to Milwaukee to see games in the early 90's when I would go to a lot of Sox-Brewers games. After realignment I kept going up there to see them, friendly people, good food, and if you have time the Milwaukee Zoo is a good visit before or after a game.

jeremydavid
07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I rooted for Boston in the playoffs last year because I like Varitek, Damon, Ortiz and Ramirez. I usually don't root for other teams until the postseason but then get some sort of allegiance as I watch games with all those "other" teams in October. Luckily I don't think I'll have to do that this year.Plus, the BoSox beat the Yankees finally. And made the Cubs look stupid indirectly.

MiamiSpartan
07-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I've been in Miami, since 92, so I pull for the Marlins. I've been following the National's run this year, also. I have a hard time pulling for AL teams, but I did just get back from the NE this past week, and could see myself pulling for the Orioles. I hate their owner, but boy does that town get behind the team! I had a 5 hour layover there, and hopped on the train to go downtown, and was immediately surrounded by hundreds of people in orange and black heading into Camden Yards for the game. Good time!:bandance:

chisoxmike
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
The Twins?

No. :dtroll:

gobears1987
07-06-2005, 08:56 AM
The Cards are my 2nd favorite team. I mean, they have Tony LaRussa as their manager.

Bucky F. Dent
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Gotta be the cardinals. My brother in law lives in St. Louis and has sweet connections for Cards tix. And, the Cards hate the cubs nearly as much as we do....so that can't be bad!

A_ROW33
07-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I've rooted for the mariners the past couple of years, mainly since I have family there and I like the way Ichiro plays the game.