PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Update 6/27

Urban Legend
06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Saw Maggs in Toledo tonight at the Mud Hens game. He played five innings, as was stated before the game that he would. Maggs looked good. Grounded back to the pitcher the first time, then laced a line drive down the right field line the second, driving in a run, and walked the third time before leaving for a pinch runner. He didn't run hard on the bases, but the situations didn't call for him to do that.

He had about three or four balls hit in his direction. He came in well on two short ones, running hard, catching one just a few steps before the infield. He's supposed to be with the Mud Hens through Thursday before heading back to Detroit, so it looks as if he'll miss the White Sox series in Detroit this week.

Alan Trammel was at the game, sitting a few seats from the Hens' dugout.

BTW - Mud Hen Vic Darensbourg, a left-handed pitcher who was briefly with the Sox last year, made the International league All-Star team. A reliever, he hasn't given up a run in twenty-four innings (encompassing thirty-two games) this year. However, he did let in an inherited runner tonight by giving up a hit. Jason Grilli (2-3 with the Sox last year) is having a so-so year with the Hens, though he pitched well tonight. The Hens, who are in first place in the IL East, beat second place Indianapolis on Carlos Pena's (27 dingers with the Tigers last year) twelfth inning home run.

The Hens' ballpark, which opened in 2002, and is owned by Lucas County, was named the best minor league ballpark by Newsweek. The Hens' new video board premiered this week. The video clarity and size rivals U.S. Cellular's.

Out on the right field concourse tonight in the first inning, I gave Magglio an 'Oh-Wee-Oh...MAGGLIO!' when he was in right. He smiled and gave a nod.

I'll be at Comerica tomorrow for Sox-Tigers.

Record with me in attendance in 2005 at U.S. Cellular: 1-1

Baltimore 6, White Sox 2
White Sox 6, Dodgers 0

beckett21
06-27-2005, 11:14 PM
The Hens' ballpark, which opened in 2002, and is owned by Lucas County, was named the best minor league ballpark by Newsweek. The Hens' new video board premiered this week. The video clarity and size rivals U.S. Cellular's.

I went to 5/3 Field last year, saw the Hens play the Louisville Bats on one of Austin Kearn's tours of rehab duty. Great stadium, very fan friendly. Got Larry Parrish to sign a ball for me that he hit in BP at Old Comiskey and my dad caught on a fly. :D:

My wife is a Toledoan, but I love her anyway. :tongue:

As far as Magglio goes, no offense to you but I couldn't possibly care less.

NealCotts4Life
06-27-2005, 11:16 PM
What do you the reaction to Maggs will be when (if) he ever comes back to the Cell.

chitownhawkfan
06-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I hope we dont boo Maggs, that is a garbage move. It sounds like Scrub fans who all of a sudden hate Sham-me, I have heard so many of these people it makes me ill. "I never liked him, blah blah blah" than why were there so many clowns in Sammy jerseys, blowing kisses, bowing etc. Sox fans are classier than that and should show the appreciation we have for Maggs having played over a 1000 games while driving in 700 runs in his six and a half seasons with the Sox. He was a .300 hitter every season and drove in 120 RBI per season all while not mouthing off and playing hard, Every true Sox fan will give him a standing ovation and tell people who are booing to shut their traps.

:andy
Show a little love for Maggs
:maggs
Please be nice to me

NealCotts4Life
06-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Well I only say this because of the whole Ozzie "go play of the Detroit Tigers" thing.

FarWestChicago
06-27-2005, 11:37 PM
He was a .300 hitter every season and drove in 120 RBI per season all while not mouthing off and playing hard, Every true Sox fan will give him a standing ovation and tell people who are booing to shut their traps.If you skip the "money grubbing, traitorous scum bag" part, you might have a point. At this point you sound like somebody suffering from battered spouse syndrome.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 11:48 PM
What do you the reaction to Maggs will be when (if) he ever comes back to the Cell.

He will be booed like no other player has ever been booed before. How can anyone in their right mind not boo that assclown??

skobabe8
06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
If you skip the "money grubbing, traitorous scum bag" part, you might have a point. At this point you sound like somebody suffering from battered spouse syndrome.

That puts it pretty well. I may not boo Maggs, but I will definately not give him a standiong 'O'. Someone in a post a long time ago said the best move would be to just sit there. No booing, no clapping, no yelling. Just sit there. Of course it would be impossible to get a stadium full of people to go along with this, but i think it would be a move that would be EXTREMELY loud. I was always a huge fan of Maggs. I still havent decided what to do with the 6' cardboard cut-out I have of him. But to say he wasnt a jerk towards the end of the marriage is drinking the kool-aide.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I hope we dont boo Maggs, that is a garbage move. It sounds like Scrub fans who all of a sudden hate Sham-me, I have heard so many of these people it makes me ill. "I never liked him, blah blah blah" than why were there so many clowns in Sammy jerseys, blowing kisses, bowing etc. Sox fans are classier than that and should show the appreciation we have for Maggs having played over a 1000 games while driving in 700 runs in his six and a half seasons with the Sox. He was a .300 hitter every season and drove in 120 RBI per season all while not mouthing off and playing hard, Every true Sox fan will give him a standing ovation and tell people who are booing to shut their traps.

Show a little love for Maggs
Please be nice to me

blah blah blah blah. quiet down there, we cant hear our booing! Show a little love for what?? He didnt show us any love, he just backstabbed us with his injury BS and took the Borass money and ran. Then to add salt to the wound, wouldnt stop with the media bitching until Ozzie shut him up.

I will be there with my # 30 ORDONEZ jersey with the OR & Z blacked out on July 18th booing my arse off. Maggs you are "DONE." Beanball anyone?

StillMissOzzie
06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
I hope we dont boo Maggs, that is a garbage move. It sounds like Scrub fans who all of a sudden hate Sham-me, I have heard so many of these people it makes me ill. "I never liked him, blah blah blah" than why were there so many clowns in Sammy jerseys, blowing kisses, bowing etc.
Show little love for Maggs
Please treat me like the greedy SOB I am

*****. Maggs turned his back on the White Sox, Sosa was run out of town by ScRub management. Hardly comparable. I also fixed your captions.

SMO
:gulp:

SOX ADDICT '73
06-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I think we should give him the standing "O" as a sign of sincere appreciation - if he had accepted the Sox contract offer last year, this team would be a shambles right now. Thanks, Magg$! You and the Tigers deserve one another.

chitownhawkfan
06-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Some pretty valid points

"If this is how most sox fans feel, I am in trouble!"

slavko
06-29-2005, 01:32 AM

If playing hard includes not running out ground balls to the point where Rooney calls him out for it, you're right on target.

TimoandAaron
06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
What do you the reaction to Maggs will be when (if) he ever comes back to the Cell.I would give him, WValentine, and Carlos all standing o's. I loved em all and hated to see them go.

eriqjaffe
06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I would give him, WValentine, and Carlos all standing o's. I loved em all and hated to see them go.I'm with you on Carlos and Jose, but not Maggs. Valentin and the Sox simply amicably parted ways, and Valentin gave his all to the Sox (even though it just wasn't enough). Carlos was traded, no problem there either.

Magglio turned down offers which were more than generous give his unsure health. While still under contract, he went to Europe for experimental surgery, and I'm still not sure how in on that the Sox were. He also refused to let the Sox see his medical records before the arbitration deadline, so the Sox got screwed out of a compensatory draft pick. Since he signed with Detroit, he's called out Ozzie at just about every press conference he's had. Sox fans LOVED Magglio, and he just turned his back on the team and the fans. Boo the living **** out of him.

doublem23
06-29-2005, 05:07 PM
About time he got a hit... :rolleyes:

32nd&Wallace
06-29-2005, 05:10 PM
He also told Jay Mariott in April that he was glad to be out of Chicago and the Sox have no chance this year with the roster KW assembled.